This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Wheat Belly Diet Plan  (Read 29324 times)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Wheat Belly Diet Plan
« on: April 17, 2013, 02:12:30 PM »
So here's a link to the wheat belly diet plan if you are choosing to go the weight loss route:

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/12/wheat-belly-quick-dirty-2/

If for any reason you are not losing the weight it could be due to one of the issues mentioned here:

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/10/i-lost-the-wheat-but-didnt-lose-weight-2/

Also be sure to check out these books by Dr. Davis:

Wheat Belly Book

Wheat Belly Cookbook

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 11:36:20 AM by Rita »

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Re: Wheat Belly Diet Plan
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 04:27:39 PM »
Rita.....kudos to you for taking the time and energy to set this up!

Jean

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 06:03:23 PM »
+1!

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 05:52:23 PM »
And your commitment to help us! Thanks 💗💗💗

chubbyinnb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 06:06:22 AM »
I'm in to wheatlessness 8 days now, and the weight has not changed?  Any advice on what I could be doing wrong?  I'm very diligent on my diet.  What about wine?

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 06:41:50 AM »
Welcome!

Can you share what your diet has been the last week?   Are you eating enough fat?   Ideally, over 50% of your calories will be from saturated fats like coconut oil, butter, bacon, eggs yolks, etc.

Also, are you drinking enough water?   The atoms in water are important for chemical reactions to take place.   It's also an important solvent for chemical reactions to take place, and the volume needs to be kept high enough so that the body isn't in stress.

Lastly, even though you are off wheat, are you still eating high carb food ( replacement carbs ) and sugar?  Any sugar drinks?

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 06:52:26 AM »
Chubby,

The basic idea is to eat 50 carbs daily, about 15 carbs per meal.  Water intake should be 1/2 your body weight in ounces.  Wine stops your liver from using fat for energy and keeps burning sugar instead.  It can take 3 days to a week for the liver to start using the fat for energy again.  Weight loss will stall as long as you keep drinking alcohol or indulge in grains or sugar.  The carb values are very important.  Don't think the assortment of gluten free. but high carb items on your supermarket shelves will help reaching your goal.

chubbyinnb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 07:49:43 AM »
Okay ... basically having no carbs for the time being, just protein and veggies ... although I did make the flax seed crackers from the WB cookbook.  and a small amount of sweet potatoes on Sunday.  But reading your comments it is the wine ... so I guess that is today's mission.  Also wondering if there is any place I can buy the shirataki noodles - I live in New Brunswick Canada.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 08:40:17 AM »
Chubby,

Check out the carbs in your veggies!  You will be surprised. 
Supermarkets carry the noodles in the refrigerated department near the tofu type things.  Make sure you purchase the noodles made with konjac root.  Rinse them well and then place in a heated pan and stir a bit to get more of the moisture out.  They take on the flavor of your sauce.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 03:37:50 PM »
Chubby,
One of the most helpful things I did when we began WB was creating a daily food log.....then I downloaded carb charts, protein charts, and every other chart that seemed appropriate. That helped me identify any problem areas etc.

If you can't find the konjak shirataki noodles in a store near you, you can order online from 'Miracle Noodles'.....they carry angel hair, rice and fettacini style pastas.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 04:19:59 PM »
Chubbyinnb,

Don't forget to eat fat.
Eating fat doesn't make you fat.

I consume nuts, bacon, oily fish, cod liver oil, avocados, eggs, olives and nut butters. Don't be focused on losing weight, focus on losing inches and aches and pains and bloating and gaining sleep, energy, better mood, better food.
Weight is just a number after all.

chubbyinnb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 12:10:09 PM »
So my noodles have been ordered on Miracle Noodle, I'm so excited.  Hoping to see some results soon!  But gosh, I love wine!

VibeRadiant

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 12:35:03 PM »
Keep in mind that gluten/ wheat free noodles can also be high in starch and carbs and should be eaten in moderation.

Linda R

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 12:43:32 PM »
So my noodles have been ordered on Miracle Noodle, I'm so excited.  Hoping to see some results soon!  But gosh, I love wine!

I love those noodles, especially the fettuccine size.  Whenever I am in the mood for some old fashion type comfort food, I take out a package, rinse, then dump into a glass measure, cover with water and simmer quickly in the microwave. Then drain, put tons of butter, salt and pepper and grated cheese on them, toss and devour!

Yum!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 12:46:47 PM »
Shirataki noodles made of konjak flour have zero carbs, and are packaged in a brine solution which needs to be rinsed thoroughly before cooking. According to the company, Miracle brand konjak pastas do not need to be regrigerated (although some grocers do) unless the package has been opened or unless you buy the soy-based product. The packages are smallish.....one is enough for two entrees'. They're more or less a benign food but work well when you want a pasta dish.

chubbyinnb

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2013, 09:24:55 AM »
So my noodles are on route ... now another question - I have been wheat free for 2 weeks now, and continue to have the craziest dreams - is this normal.  Plus, I still not losing?

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2013, 10:07:26 AM »
Cub,

Welcome! Just remember the most important thing here is what you're doing for yourself. Weight loss will come. You might not be achieving weight loss yet but every day your getting healthier. Listen to the people on this forum. They have lots of knowledge and tips. Mine is to lose the wine, drink the water, and toss the scale!

Bren

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 07:44:41 AM »
Chubby,

The basic idea is to eat 50 carbs daily, about 15 carbs per meal.  Water intake should be 1/2 your body weight in ounces.  Wine stops your liver from using fat for energy and keeps burning sugar instead.  It can take 3 days to a week for the liver to start using the fat for energy again.  Weight loss will stall as long as you keep drinking alcohol or indulge in grains or sugar.  The carb values are very important.  Don't think the assortment of gluten free. but high carb items on your supermarket shelves will help reaching your goal.

I have begun to use my fitness pal to keep track of all that.  It's a great tool.  And it's free.  It's amazing to see the numbers, especially if you think you are on track, but you're not really.  You can then tweak things. 

oliveflower

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2014, 02:36:07 PM »
just needing to post to share my wheat challenges in the hope of becoming free from them. going to have no wheat now and eat much of what is advised in the Wheat Belly book. Wheat is ruining my life, I am fat round the middle, feel heavy and tired, very tired, feel insatiably hungry and feel down; I cant ride a bike, have no energy for the gym and I just feel that wheat is my main enemy right now and desire strongly to be free from it. its not perceived as a baddie, in ordinary circles - bread, the stuff of life and so on, so I am trying to educate myself and absorb the fact that what we call wheat today is modified poison, basically.

oliveflower

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2014, 02:40:30 PM »
When I read how people eat I feel down - I just don't feel capable of eating that way. I come form a working class background and was raised on bread, eggs, cheese and chips. I have worked hard to overcome sugar addiction and I have succeeded, the wheat now is the challenge. I think that I am eating everything wrong - tomaotes, legumes, dates etc and what I need to do is get on to vegetables, cheese, meats etc. I suppose it is the addiction telling me I cannot be wheat free and that I am disadvantaged, which is how I feel. I thought I had it cracked and the wheat seemed to have gotten under the radar; now though I can see clearly that wheat rules a art of me and causes bad health - I am craving it now and have vowed to have none. I have ordered new shopping for tomorrow online and I aim to eat wheat free from here on.

HungryinTN

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 03:20:37 PM »
You have made a wonderful start already by giving up sugar!  It does feel intimidating at first to give up wheat in this world, especially on a tight budget, but it can be done, and once you get over the initial withdrawal you will be amazed how easy it is!  Start slow and focus on JUST giving up wheat and keeping off of sugar.  For me, the most amazing thing to find was how much my taste buds changed.  After a week or so, I had no cravings for wheat.  A few weeks later, I found I liked the taste of vegetables I thought I would NEVER learn to eat.  Sugar and wheat/gluten have an amazing power over our dietary selectiveness.  Once you have freed yourself from their control, a whole new world of tastes will open themselves up before you!  Good luck on your new adventure and keep us posted!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2014, 08:15:08 PM »
Hang in there oliveflower.   You are probably experiencing withdrawal symptoms.   You can do it.   We have an area on the forum for personal diaries.  (http://wheatfreeforum.com/index.php/board,10.0.html )  I think that starting a diary will help you.  We are all here to support you.   

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2014, 10:52:05 AM »
Welcome, Oliveflower.  Glad to have you.  If it seems too overwhelming, starting wheat free only will gain you many health improvements.  It may take a while, some of us took years and I mean that literally.  After the initial withdrawal stage, you will notice small improvement steadily.  We'll be here to cheer for you.

Michael Beechey

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2016, 10:17:47 AM »
Rita.....kudos to you for taking the time and energy to set this up!

+1!

Michael Beechey

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2016, 09:21:11 AM »
Chubby,

The basic idea is to eat 50 carbs daily, about 15 carbs per meal. 
/quote]

so....1 very small piece of gluten free bread + the water 1 raisin used to bathe in ....

Katherine

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2016, 07:56:35 PM »
Hi all:) I am posting for Help!!! I have followed the Wheat Belly for over a year now, I have run into issues off n on with the sugar side of all this, was really gun ho in the beginning n have recently have been struggling, I have always been a stress eater,cthis time I am having trouble shaking off the sugar and getting back to my wheat/grain free lifestyle, my question is should I be following the 10 day detox or just go through the basic withdrawal as I did when first starting, I will also share I follow weight watcher and have pride myself in combining the two lifestyle changes together, I also take meds for thyroid n blood pressure, I know I need to refocus but any suggestions would be very helpful, thank you very much for any guidance.....
Blessings,
Kathy:-)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2016, 06:45:58 AM »
Hi Katherine!   ;)   I am sorry to hear you are struggling, and can certainly empathize with you in this respect.  Sugar addiction is real, and nothing to sneeze at.  The only way for me to get over the hump, is to use the sweetener crutch, Stevia is my choice usually.  I make ice tea, and enjoy some sweetened with the NOW brand flavored Stevia, liquid, or the Sweetleaf.  I know it's not ideal, and understand the implication that it will just prolong the "sweet tooth", but for me, it really does help.  I have been using my BG meter to check after I drink the teas, or eat anything lately, to have a list of foods and drinks I can ingest without spiking my blood glucose.  Really, the only way to get over it, is to avoid it and yes, it will definitely be difficult for some folks, going cold turkey is definitely a good way to approach it, for most.

And yes, the 10 day detox is excellent for getting back to a clean start.  Are you on Facebook?  The page for the 10 DD is very active, with many stories of excellent results, recipes, ideas, motivation, inspiration.  While I haven't actively done the detox as described, I do pick up many good tips, and have been taking a probiotic again, along with some prebiotic foods, that I like and tolerate.  My favorite is the miracle noodle or rice, they tend to get me going nicely, and no cravings.  The supplements are essential for me, I tend to notice right away if I stray for a few days and forgot.  I have started with regular iodine too, and taking this element, which is much needed for everyone living in this toxic day and age, requires a lot of supplemental nutrients/vitamins/minerals, for detox help.

I hope this helps, do reach out with any questions in the general discussion area too, so many here are happy to help, even if they aren't posting, they are reading!!  8)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2016, 09:28:51 AM »
Hi Katherine,

I'm agreeing with BarbinNC's advice and adding that you really have to try a lot of different sugar substitutes until you find one that tastes good to you.  Your tastebuds and sensitivity to the essence of "sweetness" seems to change the longer you are grain free.  I find that I am using less and less sweetener like stevia or monk fruit or similar products even in my coffee or tea. 

I like to read recipes and am always looking for a new way to prepare food.  I am astounded how many newly published ones contain many different forms of sugars.  If you avoid all those foods with sugar and the euphemisms for sugar and use stevia or other approved sweeteners, it takes about 3 days to lose your "taste" for something sweet to eat and for your tastebuds to adjust to the sweetness of the approved sweeteners.

I tried many different brands, forms and kinds of sweeteners until I settled on Swerve for baked goods or other desserts and stevia for everything else.

Perhaps someone on this forum can enlighten us as to whether or not using these substitutes still has an effect on your liver, pancreas and insulin production.  There is a lot of information about the use of artificial sweeteners like aspartame, saccharin, agave syrup and even fructose for energy production and burning sugar for fuel, but no real discussion of the effect of using stevia and the sugar alcohols. 

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2016, 03:20:38 PM »
...so many here are happy to help, even if they aren't posting, they are reading!!  8)

Barb, I'm so glad you posted this. I am seldom posting now...but I am reading. You reminded me that others are too!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2016, 03:08:08 PM »
You might find that raw unfiltered honey helps.  Here's one of our discussions on raw honey:

http://wheatfreeforum.com/index.php/topic,2217.msg19261.html#msg19261

Katherine

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2016, 04:51:22 PM »
Hi, I am very familiar with the Wheat Belly lifestyle an have followed it for some time but have had some emotional situations in my life recently an have gotten away from this lifestyle. My question or more like a concern is the amount of meat that we are allowed to eat on the WB. I have been watching various documtaries on Netflix such as Forks and Knives, Food Matters stating that we should not be consuming any meats, fish, etc...., find our protein in raw fruits an vegetables. I want to follow WB as I believe it's views on not consuming wheat, processed foods just am confused what is the best health benefit for me. Appreciate all feedback, thank you......
Blessings,
Kathy:-)

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2016, 08:29:35 PM »
Here's Dr. Davis in a couple of places on the WB Blog:
Experience your inner cow
Go ahead: Eat your meat

And here's me:
On the blog.
and as:
Doing Wheat Belly as Vegetarian

WB doesn't set any specific intake targets for protein intake. Some observers advocate "enough to maintain muscle mass and no more". That's probably a reasonable floor.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2016, 08:29:35 PM »

Sponsored Links