This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: The fat experiment  (Read 27735 times)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
The fat experiment
« on: April 29, 2013, 09:29:16 AM »
A few of who have experienced a stalled weight loss, are going to experiment this week by adding a lot of extra fat to our diet.   Here's a little history on that:
http://wheatfreeforum.com/index.php/topic,98.0.html

Anyhow, I thought I'd start a thread where we can post what we are doing and what the results are here.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 09:31:27 AM by Rita »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: The fat experiment
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 11:25:43 AM »
Here's what Dr. Davis says about fat:
Revel in fats and oils–Fat is satiating and reduces appetite. Liberal fat intake, contrary to conventional “wisdom,” does not make you fat; it helps you get skinny. The only fats to avoid are fried (high-temperature), hydrogenated, and highly-processed polyunsaturated seed or GM oils like safflower, sunflower, grapeseed, soybean, and canola.
You can add fats/oils to many foods, e.g., add 2-3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive or coconut oil to scrambled eggs or soups. Some people even choose to consume coconut oil “straight.”[/q]
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 11:27:35 AM by Rita »

Joan from MN

• Wheat free since 1/20/13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 01:03:21 PM »
So far, I've had...

Breakfast: slice of leftover Greek frittata, black tea with coconut cream and Truvia
Lunch: WB pancake cut in half, spread with Dijon mustard, and filled with two slices deli roast beef; mixed greens with baby tomatoes, black olives, buttermilk dressing
Dinner: Most likely leftover chicken and more greens with full-fat dressing or 1/2 avocado

And water, lots and lots of water. I'm aiming for a gallon a day.  :o

So, is the feta cheese in the frittata, the coconut cream in tea, olives, and full-fat dressing on my salad enough? 

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 02:21:33 PM by Joan from MN »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 01:30:48 PM »
I personally think you should try to get a lot more fat in there.  I'm really upping it.

This morning I had chia in half & half with a slab of butter.   lol   Had a 1/2 a grapefruit too.

For lunch I had full fat greek yogurt.   ( And since I normally never buy full fat, I have to say it's really creamy )

Tonight I'm going to make cauliflower fritters as a side dish, which will be pan fried in olive oil.  It'll also have feta and garganzola cheese in it.  Probably make pork chops with it.

I wish I liked that coconut oil more.  I've never liked the taste of coconut.

Joan from MN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 02:21:06 PM »
I personally think you should try to get a lot more fat in there.  I'm really upping it.

OK, in the interests of science, I'll do my best.  :)

I wish I liked that coconut oil more.  I've never liked the taste of coconut.

DH isn't crazy about the taste and especially the texture of coconut, but he'll eat pancakes, bread, etc., made with coconut oil.

We were at Trader Joe's last weekend, and there was a gigantic bin filled with little packages of chia. Suddenly I'm seeing evidence of chia seed everywhere. Eager to try the pudding.

Janet389

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 03:08:58 PM »
I already posted my breakfast on the "I'm bummed" thread.  but, I had a very large salad for lunch with a whole avocado and homemade ranch dressing.  I made it with full fat mayo and buttermilk.  Also, I finished my chia pudding from this morning. 
For dinner tonight I will have chicken fajitas with cheese, avocado, and full fat sour cream.  No tortillas of course.  I will also have leftover loaded cauliflower casserole.  It has cream cheese, tons and tons of cheese and even some heavy cream.  My DH just loved it!  Finally something with cauliflower that he likes! 
Jan, how did you like using the pancakes as sanwich bread?  I just love them.  I have to make some tonight because I work at my part-time job tomorrow and it is so easy just to bring a sandwich for lunch.

Joan from MN

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 03:28:59 PM »
I already posted my breakfast on the "I'm bummed" thread.  but, I had a very large salad for lunch with a whole avocado and homemade ranch dressing.  I made it with full fat mayo and buttermilk.  Also, I finished my chia pudding from this morning. 
For dinner tonight I will have chicken fajitas with cheese, avocado, and full fat sour cream.  No tortillas of course.  I will also have leftover loaded cauliflower casserole.  It has cream cheese, tons and tons of cheese and even some heavy cream.  My DH just loved it!  Finally something with cauliflower that he likes! 
Jan, how did you like using the pancakes as sanwich bread?  I just love them.  I have to make some tonight because I work at my part-time job tomorrow and it is so easy just to bring a sandwich for lunch.
They were great as sandwich bread. It was nice to pack an old-fashioned (though wheat-free) sandwich for lunch for a change! My next experiment will be to make a sandwich with the fluffy almond pancake recipe that I posted in the recipe section. I'm thinking I'll omit the sweetener and add some chia seed to give it a little bulk.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 05:50:02 PM »
Hello All......watching your fat experiment from the road.....you gotta love wi- fi in the car....allows me to keep up with you all, especially when DH is driving. Brought along my coconut oil and still drinking it, although in the evenings, I really do prefer my red wine!  Can't wait too see your results!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 06:09:19 PM »
Thanks Jan.  Hope your trip is going well so far.  :)  Enjoy yourself.

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 04:57:09 PM »
What does coconut cream taste like?  I'll have to look for that.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 09:49:35 PM »
I didn't have time to cook tonight, so I went to Jimmy John's and had a unwich.    ( One of their subsandwiches wrapped in lettuce instead of a bun, which is an option on their menu ).
Fattening mayo on it and cheese.   ( Never would have done that before ).

eve

• Wheat Belly since September 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 11:34:53 PM »
What does coconut cream taste like?  I'll have to look for that.
The first one I had tasted like nothing. Last time I got Trader Joe's and it has a hint of coconut taste. I take a spoonful of it sometimes (just plain)

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 09:23:31 AM »
May I add a few non-dietary suggestions to your effort?  Because we're in the process of conditioning our systems to eliminate the old and welcome the new.....a few yogic postures come to mind. Inversions.....it's not necessary to stand on your head or do a shoulder stand to get the benefits of getting the blood flowing to the brain and/or opening the lymph system......you need only to get a pillow, put it under your rear and put your legs up the wall for a few minutes. Great for depression and gets oxygen To the brain as well (Contraindicated for those with high blood pressure). Twists....sit on the floor with legs crossed, breath as you turn to the right....exhale back to center then repeat to the other side....this wrings out the organs in the visceral area and helps eliminate toxins.

Joan from MN

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 10:05:27 AM »
Thanks, Jan! I love that legs-up-a-wall pose. I do yoga and qi gong on occasion, and the lying spinal twist is part of a morning routine on a qi gong DVD that I really like (Lee Holden's 7 Minutes of Magic).

Rebounding is also great for stimulating the lymphatic system. I bought my first rebounder a couple of years ago (have since upgraded to a bungee cord style) and started dropping weight after using it daily. So why am I not doing that NOW???  :)  (Note to self: Put daily rebounding on calendar.)

Janet

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 01:57:41 PM »
Kerrygold Butter, and lots of it. Need I say more?  My fat of choice from nice grass-fed cows.  Upping my good saturated fat level was the thing I had to remember the most.  Most of us have been trained to treat all fat like the devil and that just ain't so.  Saturated fat (natural kinds, not the crap and lie of the likes of canola oil and other industrial oils) in tandem with whole food and no processed crap is one of the "protective foods" we quit eating but our ancestors ate liberally until around 1970's and this whole stupid, dangerous "low fat" disaster.  Your body REQUIRES cholesterol and actually makes more of it in your body than you could eat. NO studies prove that dietary fat harms our hearts. Americans level of eating meat, fat has gone way down because of the cholesterol scam, but notice the rates of heart disease has gone WAY UP.  The answer the CONS give us for that is: EAT EVEN LESS FAT.  Geeze.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 08:53:59 PM »
Janet -  I just threw out all the canola oil in the house the other day.   I had absolutely no idea how bad canola oil was before WB -  and here I thought I was being good all this time.   Didn't realize how chemically modified it is.  It's burning fuel that was modified for consumption.  Canola is an acronym for
Canadian Oil Low Acid.

Joan from MN

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 09:04:01 AM »
This morning I created bulletproof tea, and it was delicious! About 10 oz of Assam tea (I filled a travel mug about 3/4ths full), tbsp of Kerrygold butter, tbsp of coconut cream. And I know honey is a no-no, but I added about a tsp. before buzzing it all up with the immersion blender. Also put a tbsp of melted butter on my chia pudding. YUM!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 09:51:06 AM »
Also put a tbsp of melted butter on my chia pudding.

That's what I had for breakfast this morning.   Chia pudding made with cream, with butter on it and cut strawberry's on top.

I will say that adding fat sure fills me up fast.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 09:38:05 AM »
Drinking some hot black tea now with 2 teaspoons of butter in it.  Not bad.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2013, 06:06:23 AM »
Since returning north, I couldn't figure out why I was so tired!  Just realized that I've been drinking decaf coffee!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2013, 06:48:49 AM »
lol-  got to have the caffeine.

Yesterday I had a good fatty lunch.   Did 1 avocado and 2 strips of bacon.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 10:05:12 AM »
Here's just interesting tidbits I found on the Weston A Price site with links to the sources:

1)  A study from Sweden found that a higher intake of fats, including saturated fats, in childhood resulted in lower body weight; children on reduced fat diets had higher body mass and greater insulin resistance.

https://gupea.ub.gu.se//handle/2077/16984

2)  In a study of Swedish adults, consumption of whole fat milk and cheese was linked to lower weight gain and dairy fat was not linked with weight gain in a longitudinal study of adolescents. 
  • American Journal of Clinical Nutrition Volume 84, Number 6, Pages 1481-1488.
  • Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2005;159:543-550

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2013, 10:55:24 AM »
Rita...very sad. But what had me prepared for WB was that for maybe a year I had read a few times that when America went low fat is when America became obese, and I realized it was true. Then when I read about WB (on Flylady's website) I was READY. I ordered his book and, since I'm a slow reader and DH is a speed reader, I asked him to read it first because there were things I needed to know IMMEDIATELY. He did..then he said, "Let's do it!" So we started on our new lifestyle, then I started reading the WB book (end of Sept 2011). I immediately dumped all the wheat from our pantry, both at home and in the motor home. Buying groceries was a little hard at first because I was using a lot of new recipes and didn't know where to find all the ingredients. I found a little eBook written by Jennie on the Easy Paleo website "21 Practical Ways to Simply Your Paleo Life" (4.99 www.easypaleo.com). And it helped me a lot...some of it just confirmation, some new ideas. I had always hated to cook, but it became easier so I enjoyed it. Now I'm a little tired of cooking because 3 meals a day is relentless. But I've learned and incorporated a lot of things to make it easier. I could easily do 2 meals a day...sometimes plus a snack, because I don't get hungry, but DH does :))

Dianne

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2013, 11:37:57 AM »
Hi everyone!
Just curious as to how the fat experiment is going.  Has anyone noticed any difference?  I started extra fat...mainly coconut oil and avocadoes...yesterday.  Sure fill me up and very tasty! :)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2013, 11:57:59 AM »
I haven't weighed myself, but I can tell you I'm eating a lot less.    I'm stuffed!  In fact, I only had 2 meals yesterday with no snacks because I felt so full.   Just using full cream in my coffee in the morning is filling.  ( I normally always have skim milk in my coffee ).

But I'm still feeling pretty bloated in general, which I'm sure is related to my colon issue.   So I've got to resolve that too.   I ordered some enzymes yesterday which should arrive tomorrow.  I think will help me better break down the protein and fat.

Joan from MN

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2013, 12:56:39 PM »
To tell you the truth, I'm struggling mightily. I've been low-fat, high-carb dieting for years, and it gives me the willies to eat half an avocado or a big glob of coconut oil. Arg!

bcflyfisher

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2013, 03:25:36 PM »
The coconut oil takes some getting used to, that's for sure!

I keep a small Tupperware container of it right beside me on my desk at work and just take little dabs here and there throughout the day.  After a week of doing this I actually find myself craving it...and I never really liked coconut in anything in the past.  I figure I'm probably getting the equivalent of 2 tbsp per day this way and it's always at room temperature so it's the consistency of soft serve ice cream.  It's expensive in Canada.  $10 for 1lb at Safeway. 

Joan from MN

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2013, 03:37:05 PM »
Oh, don't get me wrong: I LOVE avocados and coconut oil (and unsweetened flaked coconut and coconut flour), but I keep thinking I'll wake up one morning and will be 20 lbs heavier. It's completely irrational, but...that's me.  :)  I keep a jar of coconut oil at work and add a tsp or so to my hot cinnamon tea.

Janet389

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2013, 06:54:49 PM »
I have finally weighed myself.  I have lost 4 pounds by eating high fat!  I would never had believed it if I hadn't done this.  I will continue to do this. I love eating good stuff.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2013, 08:13:07 PM »
I have finally weighed myself.  I have lost 4 pounds by eating high fat!  I would never had believed it if I hadn't done this.  I will continue to do this. I love eating good stuff.

Janet!  That is AWESOME news!!   You Go Girl!   Nice to break that stall!  Who would have thunk that fat was the answer.

Dianne

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2013, 09:23:01 PM »
Congratulations Janet!  Oh...I'm so glad to hear that! 
I'm with Joan...it's a struggle to "re-wire" your brain...it's okay to eat fat!  I'm still afraid that it's going to backfire on me and all this additional fat is not going to work.... :'(
I agree, BCflyfisher, it is expensive in Canada (I live in BC as well)...I usually get it at Costco.

Joan from MN

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2013, 09:58:52 AM »
That's wonderful news! OK, more details, please, if you wouldn't mind. Did you go about this methodically, adding just a few measured tablespoons of, say, coconut oil a day, or did you just take every opportunity to add more fat--or something in between? I'm just wondering if there's a tipping point with fat. Not enough = no weight loss, enough = weight loss, and too much = no weight loss or even weight gain.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2013, 07:38:11 PM »
I've still not chosen to weigh myself for this fat experiment because I know I haven't lost anything as I still feel very bloated.  ( I'm still waiting for the digestive enzymes to arrive ).  When I talked to the doc last week she said that I need to remove dairy.  I didn't really think much about it, but now I'm thinking that may be the issue.

Since starting Wheat Belly, I've increased dairy.  And, with this fat experiment, I've been eating a lot of dairy such as full fat yogurt, butter, half and half, cheese, etc.
And frankly, I feel miserable.

From some research, I've found out that if you have milk intolerence, and if you are constipated, it's because you can't digest the dairy proteins.  If you have lactose intolerance, you can't digest the dairy sugars, but that causes diarrhea and not constipation.   ( Don't we have lovely conversations here? ) lol 

So starting tomorrow, I'm going to do the fat and avoid dairy products and see if that makes a difference.

Kezza

• Grain free since 5 April 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2013, 11:26:45 PM »
Hi Rita,  I understand your situation.  I didn't remove dairy for about the first 10 days and weight loss was hit and miss but become more regular after I did take it out as well as using cocnut cream and coconut oil more.  My nutritionist who is a GAPS (Gut & Phsychology Syndrome) http://www.gapsdiet.com/  has me eating sourkraut twice a day and also taking apple cider vinegar (about a tablespoon) in half a glass of water before meals with meat in them to supple more enzimes.    She is working to help me digest fats to the best of my ability with out a gall bladder she is a bit of a food guru and is happy to work with me on a paleo style diet.  She is much happier with the idea of 2 or 3 loose bowel movements a day that constipation.

Janet389

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2013, 05:04:26 AM »
Joan,

I just added fat at any opportunity I could.  I have half and half or heavy cream in my hot tea everyday.  I also melt coconut oil, let it cool and add it to the top of my meals, when I think about it.  I even add it to my salad after I put my home made ranch dressing.  The dressing recipe is the one in WBCB.  I guess there really is no system, I just do it when I remember and usually at least a tablespoon, probably more.
You should try it.  It really does work.  Although I will be courious to see how Rita does after she removes dairy.  That might be my next step too.

Joan from MN

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2013, 08:34:52 AM »
Janet, thanks for the additional info. I do seem to fare better if I just add it willy-nilly and not worry about the extra calories, etc.

Rita, I'm thinking I need to ditch the dairy, too. If I recall correctly, it's been a hindrance to weight loss in the past. I'm also doing 3 tsp. of apple cider vinegar (in water, a splash of juice, and stevia) twice a day.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2013, 11:37:23 AM »
I'm also doing 3 tsp. of apple cider vinegar (in water, a splash of juice, and stevia) twice a day.

Are you doing RAW applecider vinegar?

Joan from MN

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2013, 12:05:16 PM »
I'm also doing 3 tsp. of apple cider vinegar (in water, a splash of juice, and stevia) twice a day.

Are you doing RAW applecider vinegar?
Yes, the raw unfiltered organic stuff (Bragg's).

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2013, 12:08:35 PM »
good.   I was just reading yesterday that the stuff you usually see in the stores doesn't have much in the way of health benefits.

Well on a side note, I just had 70 grams of fat for lunch!   Woohoo!  ( a can of coconut milk with strawberries )

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2013, 05:39:36 AM »
How is everyone doing with the increased fat consumption?

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2013, 09:34:40 AM »
I feel like I kind of need to start over on the fat experiment, because I was going high on dairy fat when I started this experiment, and learned that dairy probably isn't my best friend.   

So now that I've got the dairy cleared out of my system, I'm going to start new.  It's hard for me to remember to get fat in because I'm so programmed to eat fat free.   And,  I'm still not sure how to get the fat in now that I'm going low on dairy.   I wish I liked the taste of coconut oil ... but I've disliked coconut in general my whole life.

I've been eating olives when I remember, and then if I do a salad I put on extra olive oil.  But I'm still so used to eating veggies without fat or salt on it, that it's still so unnatural for me to put olive oil on them.   And, I'm still cooking lean meats because of hubby.  So the truth is, I'm having a hard time getting fat into my diet.  I need a strategy.

I am going to the store today to see what options there are for goat milk products, since that has less issues than cow milk products.  For me, eating a dairy type of fat is easy to do ...   if I can figure out how to do it without getting constipated and bloated.

How's your fat consumption?

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2013, 12:34:33 PM »
Rita.......could you put ghee on your veggies, instead of butter?  Also, is there be something you could mix with the coconut oil to make it palatable? While it's probably more work, could you feed DH a lean chicken breast and make yourself a steak, or chops, ribs etc?

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2013, 02:01:25 PM »
I've been thinking about ghee.  Where do you find that in the super market?  Is it by the butter?   And I suppose I need to cook 2 different meats eventually.  Do you know that I haven't made or eaten a steak in over 10 years?  We've avoided red meat since my hubby had his heart attack, and even before then, we probably only ate a steak maybe 4 times per year.   I'm not even sure how to make ribs.  lol   (So as you can see, it's a major dietary change for us ).  It's no wonder I've put on pounds thinking that whole grains and low fat was the way to go all these years. 

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2013, 04:24:59 PM »
Ghee does not need to be refrigerated so I think it's on the shelf.....but I usually get mine at the health food store, although I did find it in Whole Foods. It's a great way to get fat in your diet, has a nice flavor and you can cook with it too. It might be considered "mildly dairy" as the lactose and casein are removed, but we can check to be sure.

This sounds like a major dietary change for you Rita.  If you're not used to eating lots of meat, then start slow and build.....that's really what this blog is about, support! Steaks you can easily sauté in a skillet, pork chops, lamb chops too......ribs can go in the oven and be cut into one serving portions and be frozen for later.  We've probably got lots more collective ideas.........

Joan from MN

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2013, 06:27:03 PM »
I feel like I kind of need to start over on the fat experiment, because I was going high on dairy fat when I started this experiment, and learned that dairy probably isn't my best friend. ... 

How's your fat consumption?
I feel like I need to start over too. I keep wondering whether all the people who lost a lot of wheat by dropping wheat really increased their fat intake significantly, or did they just drop the wheat? Or maybe they were eating a lot of wheat to begin with, so dropping it = greatly decreased calories? I do still cling to the calories in / calories in mind-set, to some extent. Isn't there a tipping point at which calories DO count? DH and I are still trying to figure this out. We've both been wheat free for four months now. He's lost 6 lbs, I've lost 3. We eat no gluten-free foods, our portions are modest, and we exercise regularly. Of course, we've both experienced health benefits, but the lack of weight loss is disheartening, to say the least.   

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2013, 08:39:03 PM »
Joan -  what's your fat intake been?   Has it been all dairy like I was doing?  Let's see what skipping the dairy and doing different fats will do.

Jan-  thanks for the tips.  Didn't make it to the grocery store today as I was still unsure of what my purchases would be.   Wanted to research all different kinds of foods.    I'm thinking about getting some cod liver oil.   And apparently not all cod liver oil is created equal:  http://www.westonaprice.org/cod-liver-oil/cod-liver-oil-basics 

Joan from MN

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2013, 09:34:42 AM »
Joan -  what's your fat intake been?   Has it been all dairy like I was doing?  Let's see what skipping the dairy and doing different fats will do.
Rita, on a typical day, about 2 tsp. of coconut oil in my coffee in the morning. Was putting HWC in my coffee as well, but have now cut out the remaining vestiges of dairy. Other fats: avocado (at most, half of an avocado daily), olive oil and butter for cooking, pat of butter on vegetables, handful of nuts. Does this sound like enough?

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2013, 12:27:23 PM »
Well of course I'm new at the fat thing, but it seems like a decent amount.  How's your protein?  Are you taking the kelp pills Dr. Davis recommends?

Joan from MN

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2013, 03:13:19 PM »
Well of course I'm new at the fat thing, but it seems like a decent amount.  How's your protein?  Are you taking the kelp pills Dr. Davis recommends?
I haven't tracked protein for a while, but intuitively, I believe it could be too low. Stopped taking the kelp pills because of the fishy smell.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2013, 03:43:53 PM »
I feel like I kind of need to start over on the fat experiment...

I keep wondering whether all the people who lost a lot of weight by dropping wheat really increased their fat intake significantly, or did they just drop the wheat?

We've been wheat-free for 1 year and 8 months. I lost 30 pounds overall...kind of early on. DH lost 40 from WB lifestyle, then after that he lost 20 more when he had to go through radiation last July-Aug. Before and after pictures of us look significantly different. We've maintained it quite well. If I eat extra carbs (sometimes when we go out of town), I will gain 3 pounds or so, so I yoyo within about 5 pounds. I would like to lose a little more but frankly I'm in no hurry because my clothes wouldn't fit...again. We went no-wheat, low carb, high fat, just as Dr. D says. We have not been able to purchase grass fed meat (no job for awhile) or free range chicken...or, my guess is, we would have lost even more. But we've not eaten ANY WHEAT by choice, but might have been "wheated" occasionally. Now we occasionally by choice eat Mexican, chips and all, occasionally split a loaded baked potato or a baked sweet potato with butter, might have chili w/ beans...but all this is very occasional, but we did not do even those things for probably the first year. We eat lots of eggs. We eat dairy...lots of cheese, regular old cheddar or Swiss, mozzarella, parmesan, no milk because no cereal :)) , half n half sometimes, plain Greek yogurt sometimes, occasional sour cream. I cook with butter, coconut oil and olive oil. We eat a lot of avocados and a lot of olives...lots of veggies. If I'm constipated, I put a scant tsp of coconut oil in my mouth and let it melt. I can't tolerate any more...nor can I do that amount every day..or I get diarrhea. If DH gets constipated, he eats a few prunes. I believe we increased our fat intake significantly because we too had been low fat for a number of years. The fat is necessary for energy because we're not eating that many carbs. The only "gluten free" product we buy is rice crackers. We may have 5-6 of those every 4-5 months. Sometimes friends will serve us a gluten-free product not understanding that is not good either. When that happens, we just eat VERY sparingly. Some of the things that others have reportedly cured with WB have not happened for us, but a LOT of things are better. I don't feel perfect, but I feel successful.

Sometimes I've been very frustrated because we haven't been able to eat grass fed and free range...feeling that even though we've gone so extreme compared to the rest of the world, whatever I do is not enough. Then I have to remind the perfectionist in me that sometimes good enough is good enough. You do the best you can with what you have, and it's SO MUCH BETTER than before.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2013, 03:43:53 PM »

Sponsored Links