This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: White bread in Atlanta  (Read 2448 times)

Lila

• View Profile
White bread in Atlanta
« on: February 11, 2014, 10:32:03 PM »
I have enjoyed watching the news videos in advance of our ice storm that show that folks go out and get their bread and milk. It is pretty clear that Atlanta folk love white bread (and leave the wheat bread on the shelf).  I used to love the multigrain variety breads--folks leave that on the shelf. The funniest was the shelves that had no white bread but had plenty of honey wheat.

In advance of the storm, we have NO BREAD or STARCH or MILK in our house, aside from condiment doses of arrowroot. I'm so proud of that. I wasn't even tempted by that stuff when I went to the store early this AM.

Fortunately we have gas logs and a gas range, so we will be warm and be able to cook. I bought a french press for my coffee. And we have a cigarette lighter plug in cooler if we need it for our Kerrygold butter, heavy cream and the salsa chicken I cooked in the crockpot today.

Unfortunately I forgot to get a couple of bottles of wine. No matter. We'll have water!

Don't know if you all are going to get some of Winter Storm Pax, but if you do, stay safe and warm.

jgilberAZ

• View Profile
Re: White bread in Atlanta
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 07:02:49 AM »
No winter here in AZ supposed to hit 90 this weekend.
Low Carb Since April 2009.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 07:23:33 AM »
Lila,

Hate to sound like a party pooper, but doesn't your gas range have an electric start?  If so, then this is a safety feature and the appliance just won't turn on, even with trying to use matches.  The built in device shuts off the gas.  Neither over or stove top should work if you lose power.  You would be better off pulling your BBQ close to your door and using that for cooking, unless you have a wood burning fireplace! 

Lets hope there isn't too much damage to your power lines.  Keep warm and safe!  The storm will be in NJ tonight and dump yet another 6-12" of snow here.  This will be heavy and wet snow.  0* here this morning.  At least it is supposed to warm up.  Only the snow plowers are happy!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 08:25:39 AM »
I'm somewhat embarrassed to say it's a sunny 77 here today..... 8) . I have a gas Jenn-Air grill/cooktop contraption in my kitchen up north we can light with matches when the power goes out....just turn the burner on to 'lite' , it releases the gas, light your match and you're good to go.....same goes with gas fireplace logs.

HungryinTN

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 10:07:55 AM »
Lila,

Hate to sound like a party pooper, but doesn't your gas range have an electric start?  If so, then this is a safety feature and the appliance just won't turn on, even with trying to use matches.  The built in device shuts off the gas.  Neither over or stove top should work if you lose power.  You would be better off pulling your BBQ close to your door and using that for cooking, unless you have a wood burning fireplace! 

When the blizzard hit Georgia in 1993 we had a gas stove and were able to use it with matches for the full two weeks our power was out.  Maybe the safety feature is a new thing? 

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 10:53:53 AM »
This safety feature must be newer.  The idea was to replace those dangerous pilot lights and be able to turn your oven and burners on without the potential for that dangerous flashback that burned so many people.  It is part of the national Builder's Code of America and the way all gas cooking appliances are made today and for many years past, but I'm not sure exactly what year it was included.  Circumventing a safety feature is never a good idea when using gas or propane. 

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 12:52:34 PM »
Power went off at 7am. We were able to light the range with our flame thrower (what we call our Bic lighter). It is circa 1988 so it is not one of the latest models. We can't light the oven.  Gas logs are wonderful.

Our power just came back on, but we now have some heavy freezing rain and sleet so I'm afraid it won't stay on long. So I'm charging things and just made myself a cup of bulletproof coffee.

I had never used a French press before--I may never make coffee any other way again. Delicious!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 01:03:26 PM »
Lila,

I was thinking of you!  The storm is on its way up here with midnight being the target starting time.  They keep revising the snow estimates upwards, now 14".  A healthy dose of wind and ice too!  Yikes!

We still have a very heavy snow cover of at least 3' and of course the mountains of snow where the plows push it.  There have been 11 snow storms up here so far.  What a hard winter this has been.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 01:15:25 PM by Barbara from New Jersey »

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 01:08:18 PM »
Yes, the electronic ignition feature does shut off when the power goes out. My s-I-l changed from electric to propane, believing that she would be able to use the stove whenever the power went off. She wasn't told about this little feature when she bought the stove, and was unhappy to find out that she couldn't use the stove during a major storm outage 2 years ago.

Don't have any idea when this safety feature was implemented, but all of the gas/propane stoves have this now.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 01:08:18 PM »

Sponsored Links