This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Desperate and searching!!  (Read 4563 times)

Cats

• View Profile
Desperate and searching!!
« on: February 13, 2014, 08:22:08 AM »
Hi my name is Cats, short for Catalina. I have 2 daughters who have had great results from wheat free diet including weight loss and pain free. They shared with me and now I am seriously considering starting a wheat free diet. I have a long medical history of pain, since the 80's, but worked as a nurse since 1979. I have multiple severely degenerative disks with cervical fusions of C4 thru C7. In 2010 I started getting severely ill with spiking daily fevers to 102degrees and severe fatigue. Up to this point, no diagnosis was made except Fibromyalgia in the 90's. After being bedridden for 8 months I went to my family physician and was referred to a rheumatologist with elevated liver enzymes.  I was diagnosed in June of 2011 with AOSD (Adult Onset Stills Disease) which is a rarer form of Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis.  The treatment that followed has stopped the fevers and slowed down my immune system but I have been sick for so long that the doctors dont think I will have any chance for remission.  I continue to suffer severe body pain, with specific pain also in my spine in multiple places whic I manage with Fentanyl Patch and Hydrocodone, although that doesn't seem to help me on a daily basis. I continue to have frequent flare-ups with uncontrollable pain. My joint pain is frequently intolerable, especially in my hips.  My youngest daughter has been recently I'll and has been diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis and was being treated with biweekly self injections of Humera which worked to bring her in remission. A few months ago she started the wheat free diet after success from her older sister with complete wheat belly diet. Since she went wheat free, her pain is gone, she feels great and no longer needs the Humera.  I am really encouraged by my 2 daughters successes and want to try this diet also. My husband is very skeptical but willing to try it to support me.  He has difficultly managed Hypertension and Diabetes he has been able to control with serious treadmill exercise and has been taken off all meds. I am hoping to see positive results for my husband also. This change in diet will be very difficult for me. Most of the time my pain prevents me from being able to performmuch daily activity except my self care. I forgot to mention earlier that I was on monthly intravenous infusions of ACTEMRA since 2011 and now have switched to biweekly self injections when it became available in that route.  I have been reading multiple blog entries on diet advice and will continue to read as I am able.  What is the best way to start this diet? Should I just start with eliminating wheat and then make gradual changes as I go along? I don't have a weight problem. When I got seriously I'll in 2010-11, I went from 140 down to 110 lbs and totally lean. My husband does most of the cooking. I have read the Wheat Belly by Dr. Davis but can't get my husband to read it. I will try to get him to read this blog but no guarantees there either. Please help me!!!I get really depressed almost daily and am desperate for help. I haven't been able to work since 2010 and in 2011 was approved for full disability, thank goodness.i know this is a long entry and hope that doesn't deter any assistance I can receive.
Cats

Randal

• View Profile
Re: Desperate and searching!!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 08:50:03 AM »
Cats, you have nothing to lose by trying this way of eating.

It's really easy to do: just stop eating wheat.

Don't eat bread, pasta, or anything that contains wheat. You will have to start reading labels very carefully, as just about anything processed contains wheat. Eat a lot of animals and plants.

Concentrate on the not eating wheat aspect, and then in a couple weeks or months you can try the other healthy eliminations (e.g., sugar, corn, and soy). But for now, all you have to do is stop eating wheat. You don't have to count calories. You don't have to watch how much fat you eat (as a matter of fact, eat MORE fat). Just stop eating wheat.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 09:23:23 AM »
Cats,

I would also suggest that you drink at LEAST 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water daily.  Helping your body cleanse itself will go a long way.  You might do an internet search for "the Water Cure" for some good guidelines.  One of our posters has reported outstanding results from this.  After a few weeks, then check into Dr. Davis's recommended supplements.  The probiotics and magnesium should be first, then continue adding the rest.  They are all very important.

Wishing you the best recovery possible.  Keep us posted!

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 10:36:38 AM »
Welcome to the forum Cats. This WOE isn't difficult. It just sounds like it in the beginning. I agree with Randall and Barbara. Start by reading labels, drink water and some unprocessed sea salt, go one day at a time. We'll be here when you need us 😉 watching your progress!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 01:49:32 PM »
Cats,
Welcome!  Follow all the good advice already posted here and read everything you can.....first and foremost is eliminating wheat/gluten/sugar....the other aspects can be slowly added. I wouldn't worry about the weight loss......Dr. D has stated that with this WOE, we generally reach our ideal weight.  Best of luck!

Cats

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 09:59:07 PM »
Thanks for all your responses. Really has helped me focus. After reading Wheat Belly I felt overwhelmed. You all made it seem so simple. Thanks. I am starting with just removing wheat and sugar and of course drinking the water. I've heard that some people experience side effects. Is that true and what kind of symptoms will there be?  I will keep you posted. I'm excited about the support I feel from all of you who responded. Update to follow in a week. I hope to change my subject heading soon!  :)
Cats

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 05:54:55 AM »
Cat,

Everyone is different!  I personally didn't have anything noticeable, just relief from acid reflux and sinuses unswelling.  Of course, I lost some weight and my joints didn't ache anymore.  With time, these conditions all improved tremendously.  I did find that after several weeks of this WOE, I needed to use the supplements Dr. D suggested. 

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 08:55:11 AM »
Cat,

Wheat Belly Blog has some good articles on the side effects. I classify them into two categories:

• Withdrawal. Wheat is an opiate and different people have different levels of addiction. I personally didn't experience withdrawal but I know people who have. The symptoms are similar to drug- and alcohol- withdrawal (cravings, irritability, depression, etc.). The important thing to remember is that it passes given time.
  • Wheat elimination side effects. Once you stop eating toxins, they will be flushed from the body, along with all the water that's retained in the body from the wheat intake. What does this mean? Forgive me if I'm too graphic, but days 3 and 4 were the pooping and peeing days for me. I couldn't believe how many trips I made to the bathroom. They weren't messy or uncomfortable eliminations, but I peed and pooped enough for a week in those two days. (That was a sign to me of how bad wheat is for you; if I simply removed one item from my diet, and it had that detoxification effect, that item could not have been good for me.) My mom almost quit by day 5 because at one point she was peeing every 10-15 minutes. She dropped a shoe size in that first week from losing so much bloat.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 09:07:16 AM »
Welcome to the forum Cat.   Sound like you are dealing with autoimmune issues, which is a result of leaky gut.   ( And wheat causes leaky gut ).

You might do well doing the diet the Dr. Terri Wahl's did to overcome her MS, which is also an autoimmune disorder.

Here's a video on that:

« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 09:10:15 AM by Rita »

VibeRadiant

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 08:31:21 PM »
Cats,

Welcome to the group.
Having recently (yesterday) been diagnosed with several issues with L5-L6 (including root nerve damage), please do not feel badly if you need to keep taking pain meds (if you are taking them, or start if you aren't), WF is not a, instant cure all for everyone.

It does a lot of good, but it isn't a one-size-fits-all lifestyle. Everyone is different and we all need to take our own path along this journey.

Again, welcome.

Mistyblue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 06:07:11 AM »
Welcome Cats
I second what Vibe said. I have been WF for a year( in 2 weeks) and have not lost weight, just small gradual health changes. My naturopath is helping me discover why no weight loss and gave me a 5 day low inflammatory meal plan and it was effective...4.5 lbs in 5 days.. I have a phone consult on Monday to determine where to from here! I started a exercise program ( Walk at Home)..excellent but went at it with a vengeance and result inflamed knees/leg! Chiro to the rescue! So it is about more than wheatfree and you just have to find what works for you.

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 11:15:25 AM »
Cats: Welcome to the forum.

You have mentioned a few medical/physical issues that  are very similar to mine, those being fibromyalgia & cervical fusions. My spinal fusion is on the other end, L5. I've had fibromyalgia since at least the year 2000, maybe even longer than that. Also have osteoarthritis as well. Between the fibro flares & it's sister, osteo, there is pain. I've tried a few meds, w/o very much success. Don't take meds now, except for synthroid because my thyroid gland was pretty much destroyed by x-rays back in the early 50's (another story, another time).
  The advice that you have received of going gradual is the approach that I am going  with for several reasons. Don't laugh, but the main reason is that there is so much junk in our pantry, & not enough room in the large garbage cart that the waste removal service issues to all the residents here. I also have to be careful not to have the bags too heavy, as my husband has difficulty lifting them up to get them into the container. Yes, I help, so it takes 2 of us to get that accomplished. About 2/3 done with that endeavor.
  Another reason is that in addition to having all 3 of Dr. Davis's books, I also am collecting new recipes off the Internet from sources that are similar to the WB program. Dr. Davis mentions these in his books.
  I have already eliminated a lot of wheat from my meals, especially bread. Depending on how strictly I do it, I definitely notice a change in the amount of pain that I have. Drinking more water has been added recently, & very soon, I hope to get into all of the things as the pantry is cleaned out & replaced with healthier choices.
  One note, Cats, not meant to discourage you. Having both the arthritis & fibro, you may or may not experience 100 % relief from pain. I don't expect to, but if there's at least some reduction of pain (maybe I'm dreaming here, 50% loss of pain would be great), it will be well worth it to do this. In addition, it will be worth it to see a weight loss that stays off me; I certainly can afford to lose a lot of weight, something which has been a problem all of my life. I know that wheat is the culprit, & that stuff also hides in many, many other places besides just bread.
  After reading Dr. Davis's first book, I knew that most of the things that go on when there is so much wheat around was exactly what was wrong all of my life causing all of the problems for me. What he says just plain made sense.
  Good luck to you. You've come to the right place.

jones

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 08:19:13 AM »
Hi Cats.  Welcome to the forum.  I am new too.  I am also a chronic pain sufferer with a single fusion in my neck, and a bulging disc below the fusion. 

Going wheat free (4 weeks now) definitely reduced my aches and pains. I guess due primarily to reduced inflammation.  I am also trying to NOT get type 2 diabetes as my sugar #'s are borderline.

In fact, my doctor told me that there is a connection between type 2 diabetes and dementia. Figuring it's easier to prevent than to manage/cure, I am determined to improve my #'s.

Anyway, don't mean to hijack your intro thread; mostly want to reach out as a fellow chronic pain sufferer. 

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 10:01:15 AM »
Welcome!  We are happy to have you.  Everyone has already given great tips; I just want to encourage you to not give up too soon.  Some of my best results took several years to see and it was worth the wait.  Of course, now my dr is patting himself on the back for the great success he's created (insert sarcastic eye roll here.)  Good luck to you.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 11:09:18 AM »
Welcome Jones!

All of us here are slowly regaining our health or preventing it from deteriorating.  You will find that the tips and suggestions are terrific and rather useful.  I've been grain and sugar free for 14 months and will never go back.

All the ramifications of not so healthy foods are slowly being publicized.  We are learning something new all the time.
So many of the recipes posted here are really delicious and easy to prepare.  The longer you eat this way, the better food starts tasting to you.  Read as many of the posts as you can!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 11:09:18 AM »

Sponsored Links