This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: The astounding results some people have...  (Read 3615 times)

Lila

• View Profile
The astounding results some people have...
« on: February 13, 2014, 09:49:11 AM »
Don't get me wrong--I am happy with the progress I've made and very happy with this WOE--can't believe what a difference it makes in how I feel.

BUT--when I read on the WB FB page about the phenomenal results some folks are having (the last one I saw was a weight loss of 65 lbs in 5 months), I've got to admit that it depresses me a little.

At the rate I'm going, I might have lost 65 pounds in 10 years...

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: The astounding results some people have...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 10:38:49 AM »
Lila,

Don't let this kind of bragging depress you.  65 lbs. in 5 months is an average of 13 lbs per month.  This is unsustainable and very, very hard on your organs.  That person hopefully is under some kind of supervision and must have been in rather dire circumstances health wise.  I don't log on to Facebook so I haven't read this myself.  However,  most people have an initial quick loss and then have to keep adjusting their diet and supplements to meet their needs as underlying issues crop up all the time. 

Everyone's weight loss reflects the body trying to adjust to a normal weight.  Even people who have that bariatric surgery are expected to lose their excess weight at a rate of about 2 lbs. per month.  Everyone plateaus and then their weight or proportions change.  Everyone wishes their individual ailments would get better faster!  You do get "better" and normalize your systems with each passing day of not poisoning yourself with grains and sugar.  Sometimes, it is just not so obvious to us. 

Age too, seems to make a difference in how quickly you can lose weight and overcome your health issues.  If the 65 pounder is young, then it is horrid that they would be so much overweight.  If that person is older, then the health issues are going to surface in spades!  Imagine how taxed their kidneys are.  They had to have lived in the bathroom for those 5 months. 

I'm reminded about how braggarts have always made more money than you in the stock market or got a much better deal on anything than you ever got.  My take is just to disregard their comments and be happy that you don't have their health/ego issues.

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 11:13:10 AM »
Another reason to stay off Facebook. Studies have shown that people often get depressed after being on FB for exactly those reasons. And remember, you're not seeing peoples' real selves there, you're seeing an idealized version they are trying to project. I quit FB almost 3 years; after 2 months I didn't miss it, and now you couldn't pay me to go back.

65 pounds is indeed atypical, and it's hard to compare to yourself not knowing where the other person started. If they were initially 400 pounds, it's good but not that impressive. What was their body fat? Did they incorporate an exercise program along with it? Were there other extenuating circumstances? Bottom line... who cares? They are just some random unknown person in cyberspace. Your progress and your journey are all that matter.

Linda R

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 12:27:49 PM »
Another reason to stay off Facebook. Studies have shown that people often get depressed after being on FB for exactly those reasons. And remember, you're not seeing peoples' real selves there, you're seeing an idealized version they are trying to project. I quit FB almost 3 years; after 2 months I didn't miss it, and now you couldn't pay me to go back.

65 pounds is indeed atypical, and it's hard to compare to yourself not knowing where the other person started. If they were initially 400 pounds, it's good but not that impressive. What was their body fat? Did they incorporate an exercise program along with it? Were there other extenuating circumstances? Bottom line... who cares? They are just some random unknown person in cyberspace. Your progress and your journey are all that matter.

You and me both Randall.
I quit after a year or so, got so tired of reading all the whining and complaining coming from friends & family. Also began to realize that my priorities are far different from my other family members. And, like you, I don't miss it one bit.
I DO like Twitter, and follow quite a few people, but they are mostly posters who follow a low carb,Paleo/hunter-gatherer type lifestyle.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 01:29:27 PM »
Dr. D tends to showcase "the biggest losers" on his FB page (and my guess is that they're in the minority).....while someone who lost 10 pounds in 6 months, which is commendable, might not be as dazzling.

P.s.....I must be in the minority here but I enjoy FB.....it allows me to keep in touch with friends and family all over the country.  I have some personal rules..... I limit the number of friends and quickly de-friend someone who becomes annoying. And if the NSA is checking up on me, my hope is that they're much healthier because of it!

VibeRadiant

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 06:23:18 PM »
Lila,

I haven't been on facebook in years, but sometimes when I read about someone else's fast weight loss I too find it depressing, but I'm always glad for them (most of the time). 

The weight loss is the most obvious outwardly indicator that something is working. I tell myself that changing what I eat is the best gift I've given myself that I'll never know about. What I mean is what medical events have I avoided by not consuming the diet that I once didn't think I could live without?  And would I really want to go back to eating SAD just to prove myself wrong? No way! 

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 09:45:59 AM »
Hi Lila,

I totally understand your frustration, because I'm also frustrated.   I actually have never lost weight before I did wheat belly.   And even with wheat belly, I didn't lose a pound for the first 3 months.   I also had tried Weight Watchers and other programs in the past, and never lost a pound there either.

It wasn't until I increased my fat intake and started taking digestive enzymes that I started to lose weight. But in the last year, I've only lost 15 pounds.  I have another 25 to go, so that should take another 1-1/2 year at the rate I'm going.

I eat a clean diet and work out regularly, so I know I'm dealing with other issues.

I do have PCOS ( polycystic ovarian syndrome ), which is believed to be genetic.   6-8% of women have this, and losing weight for women who have PCOS is very very difficult.   However, I also know that even though it might be genetic, we can control to a certain extent how our genes are expressed.  There is an entire science on that called epigenetics.   If you are interested in watching a good explanation on it, watch this presentation by Bruce Lipton.

So I do believe there is a key.  The trick is finding that key.  For me, I feel the answer is lies somewhere in this study:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2743649/

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 01:55:42 PM »
Rita, what kind of digestive enzymes do you take?

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 11:28:01 AM »
I've been taking these:
http://www.amazon.com/Priority-One-Vitamins-Enzy-Gest-tabs/dp/B0016NCVSY

I really like them.   I can feel the difference.

And here's a very interesting article on digestive enzymes:
http://www.dcnutrition.com/miscellaneous/Detail.CFM?RecordNumber=144
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 11:30:49 AM by Rita »

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 12:42:51 PM »
Thanks Rita. I'm going to consider them but I have to get some other things straightened out first...thyroid and heart meds.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 12:42:51 PM »

Sponsored Links