This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Xylitol  (Read 4873 times)

Cici947

• View Profile
Xylitol
« on: April 29, 2013, 02:22:20 PM »
I was so excited when I made a really delicious margarita mix sweetened with xylitol. It was so delicious & I was THRILLED! In my carb free delight I threw some ice in a pint glass with tequilla and my delicious mix.  An hour or so later, I wasn't quite so happy.  Spent the rest of the night in and out of the bathroom.  So my question is this, how much zylitol can your body consume, over what length of time, without suffering those dreaded side effects?   I know I can make it with stevia, but the after taste kind of bother's me.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: Xylitol
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 04:54:41 PM »
Good question.  Are you sure it was the xylitol?

Cici947

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 09:48:16 PM »
Good question.  Are you sure it was the xylitol?
Yup!

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 09:40:46 PM »
I lift weights, so I eat a lot of protein bars (although I'm now trying to cut down) which tend to use sugar alcohols like xylitol to make them taste sweet. I've found that anything over about 20g will cause me some sort of gastrointestinal issues, like bloating, gas, and a queasy stomach. Over 30g or so will send me running to the bathroom usually 45-60 minutes after eating. (Hence there are certain brands I avoid.)

Sula

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 11:59:18 PM »
Hmmm I eat quite a bit of Xylitol, I bake a lot and I don't have that problem. Mind you when I think back it seems there were warnings about allowing time for your body to get used to the new sweetener. But it is also in my toothpaste. Margaritas eh? I will have to try that. My big quest is sugar free tonic, I crave a gin and tonic. But alas it will probably have aspertame or some other nasty thing in it. sigh. Go easy on the Xylitol at first, also it works well with a little stevia, they kinda compliment one another.

Bing

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 08:23:37 AM »
So this tastes better than Stevia,? (which to me tastes horrible:))

Sula

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 08:29:44 AM »
Xylitol tastes like sugar... almost. Also there are good tasting stevias out there, they are not all the same.I usually put both stevia and xylitol in a recipe because they compliment each other, the taste is better.

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 10:50:33 AM »
I'm using liquid stevia in my tea. Doesn't taste as bad as when I started using it. Even put it in hwc now with vanilla.

Gem

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 03:43:19 PM »
I am a big fan of xylitol and am using for eating, baking, teeth rinsing, you name it.  Well, don't ask me if I'm using it to clean the floor or fuel for my car, in case there are any smart alecks in the house! Ha!  Seriously, it does recommend that you ease into using it at first to get your system used to it but Dr. D recommends it in several (evidently) recipes, along with stevia.  Don't get the stevia with maltodextrin but inulin instead. Powdered stevia didn't taste that great to me but the liquid is fine.  That's my experience anyway.  So, don't give up on good ole xylitol!   :)

HS4

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 04:25:39 PM »
Xylitol is also the base for a nasal spray that works wonders in fighting off colds or other respiratory infections, and is particularly good for alleviating sinus problems.  Visit www.xlear.com   This company also makes sugar-free chewing gums and toothpaste.  My husband has also had some success in using the nasal spray to reduce symptoms of allergies, especially in spring - he's always sneezing and this seems to help.  I think it is very efficient in preventing nasal passages & throat from getting too dry and maybe reduces the triggers for the allergic reactions.

Bing

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 01:01:20 AM »
It sounds very processed though, even the name.

Sula

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 04:00:50 PM »
It's made from birch tree sap. I think you should do some research, it's good for many things. I use it often in baking. I say: "Let them eat cake", and, I DO! LOL.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
Re: Xylitol vs. stevia
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 09:53:01 AM »
> So this tastes better than Stevia,? (which to me tastes horrible:))

I find that stevia's "edge" is softened completely by using it with citrus fruits.

We use it to make lemonade and margs. Use real fruit juice, ideally straight from the fresh fruit. Use orange extract instead of triple sec, which is often a sugar-heavy liqueur.

Note that the juice of 2 lemons and 1 lime is about 12 grams net carb. 3 grams of that is sugars, but less than 1.5 grams is fructose.

jgilberAZ

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 05:17:25 PM »
Xylitol is also the base for a nasal spray that works wonders in fighting off colds or other respiratory infections, and is particularly good for alleviating sinus problems.  Visit www.xlear.com   This company also makes sugar-free chewing gums and toothpaste.  My husband has also had some success in using the nasal spray to reduce symptoms of allergies, especially in spring - he's always sneezing and this seems to help.  I think it is very efficient in preventing nasal passages & throat from getting too dry and maybe reduces the triggers for the allergic reactions.

I've been using this for several months now.  I think it's awesome.  I have a lot of sinus issues, while my wife rarely has any.  A few weeks ago, she had a sinus headache lasting a few days.  I never got one, even though we were together the whole week on vacation.

I'm hoping it keeps my twice-yearly sinus infections at bay.
Low Carb Since April 2009.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 05:17:25 PM »

Sponsored Links