This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Carbohydrate question  (Read 1717 times)

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
Carbohydrate question
« on: February 18, 2014, 11:58:54 AM »
Need a bit of advice here. How does one really keep track of the carbohydrate consumption w/o calorie counts? Should I get a book with carbohydrate/calorie lists in order to be able to keep track & not go over carb count between meals?

This part of WB/(WOE) is really confusing me.

Any advice, help is appreciated.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: Carbohydrate question
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 12:13:18 PM »
A basic internet search for carb count is needed.  I just searched for "carbs in -----" and came up with a basic amount per portion and then wrote it down.  I then taped this to inside a kitchen cabinet door for handy reference.  I don't really need it anymore since I am now in a routine, but it really helped when getting started.  Sometimes I just took the info from a food label. 

I made a bad mistake in the beginning:  my friend took me to Costco and I bought those large containers of nuts.  I snacked on them while reading, right out of the container!  You know what happened of course!  Now I just place a portion in a dish and put the container back in the pantry.
No more Miss Piggy temptations.    :D

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 01:25:31 PM »
You might consider the "My Fitness Pal" app. I used it until I got tired of their position on fat, by then I knew what I could eat.

Linda R

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 01:58:25 PM »
I began keeping a food diary back in 2008, I simply use Word, 4 days to a page, and I update it as I eat.

I also began creating a Carbohydrate Counter using Excel spread sheets.
Started out very simply, then as I added more and more food items, I began creating spreadsheets for different
categories,such as Dairy, Veggies & Fruits, etc.

I do the same thing as Barbara. Whenever I buy or eat something new and not on my lists, I simply do a Bing search.
You will become an expert label reader.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 02:02:27 PM by Linda R »

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 02:45:44 PM »
I downloaded a carb chart from an Atkins site on both my IPhone & IPad....easy to access.  After using it long enough, you'll find that you end up memorizing it (whether you want to or not)......probably due to the increased brain function! 8)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 02:47:37 PM by Jan in Key West »

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 05:54:15 PM »
> ... keep track of the carbohydrate consumption w/o calorie counts?

For packaged foods, the data is on the NF panel: total carbs minus fiber carbs for the serving.

For raw foods, I usually use
http://nutritiondata.self.com/
although just now they were of no use on monk fruit  :(
(not that I was planning to eat any).

Calories? What's a calorie? Who counts those?  ;)

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 06:37:19 PM »
I've been one of those who watched my weight all my life.....cut bread, pasta, potatoes when necessary if I noticed an increase in weight. That was until I read "The Glycemic Index" in the early 2000's.....from then on, only looked at foods that would increase insulin production.....will never look at calories again.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 06:37:19 PM »

Sponsored Links