This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Beans  (Read 3555 times)

jones

• View Profile
Beans
« on: February 20, 2014, 08:47:05 PM »
Are beans not considered wheat free?  I know there is some cross-containment issues, but I don't think I am that sensitive.

Also is there any/some issue compounded when bean dishes are reheated? 

Thanks for any info, direction, ideas, or help.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: Beans
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 10:13:52 PM »
Beans are wheat free.   Some people choose not to eat them because of the carbs.  They are high in fiber, so it does reduce the glycemic load.  Beans are a good source of minerals though.   I'd avoid canned beans.   And on the dried beans, they really need to be soaked 8-10 hours so the body can break it down.  Soaking also neutralizes the phytic acid so that the minerals become available.   

Do avoid all soybeans.  Soy is pretty much bad news on many levels.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 05:46:52 AM »
Welcome Jones.....here's a relevant article regarding beans......

http://wellnessmama.com/2029/spill-the-beans-are-they-healthy-or-not/

Linda R

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 06:56:36 AM »
I posted this link in my thread regarding peanut butter, but it also applies here.

http://thepaleodiet.com/beans-and-legumes-are-they-paleo/

jones

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 07:50:58 AM »
Thanks everyone for the replies and the links. 

Canned beans are bad because of the chemical (PCB or something?) in the lining of the cans, right?

To make beans, one rinses and soaks for 8 - 10 hours, then rinse and replace water, and boil I guess.

How much new water and how long to you all boil?  Does anyone use a crockpot to 'boil' them?

Do you make a cup of dried beans at a time or the whole bag?  How long do cooked beans last in the fridge?

jones

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 08:58:12 AM »
I posted this link in my thread regarding peanut butter, but it also applies here.

Wow, I am thinking maybe I should eliminate beans too now.  I ate some leftover chili for dinner and then for lunch the following day.  Didn't feel good. 

Linda R

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 09:20:25 AM »

Wow, I am thinking maybe I should eliminate beans too now.  I ate some leftover chili for dinner and then for lunch the following day.  Didn't feel good.

I guess my thinking is this..............
There are so many really good veggies out there that don't cause the distress that beans do [why eat beans then have to use Beano for the gas?], therefore, I will stick with cauliflower, broccoli, small amounts of tomatoes and carrots, dark green leafy veggies for salads, cucumbers, etc. My main indulgence is an occasional 1/2 cup of mashed sweet potatoes, drenched in real butter. Damn! It's like eating a sweet pudding after being sugar free for many years!!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 10:31:19 AM »
Canned beans haven't been properly prepared.   So the anti-nutrients are still in it.  Plus canning products are not good in general because the everything has been heat processed to 250 degrees.  Then you've got tin leaking into the foods ( many cans are made of a tin and aluminum combo), or if the can is lined, you have BPA going into the foods, which is a chemical that impacts hormones.   Getting dried beans is much better.

You could always freeze your beans after preparing them to make them last longer.

And after you soak and rinse, then yes you can use the crock pot.

And peanuts are like soy.  Should be avoided.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 10:59:42 AM »
Jones,

I soak the beans and then use my crockpot to cook the beans overnight.  I freeze the cooked beans in portions that are handy for me.  When you cook them in the crockpot, they are creamy tasting.  I spice them while they are still hot and they absorb the flavors.  Sometimes I would splash them with bottled or homemade salad dressing, let them cool and add to salads.  Sometimes I would just use any assortment of spices and let the beans cool with the spices which would flavor them. 

Now that we know they aren't the best choices, I will just not use them as much.  Perhaps only in condiment sizes.
Like rice.  It does take a while to remove all the food items that produce negative health issues.  Grains and sugars are the biggies. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 05:02:10 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

jones

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 07:05:06 PM »
Great advice.  Make sure the beans are properly prepared and eat smaller amounts.  Thanks!

Patvoogt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 02:34:55 PM »
Here is another question sort of related. DH made a ham and bean dish for supper. I didn't have beans cause I thought they were a no-no (canned in tomato sauce). But I did have some ham that obviously came in contact with the beans and sauce. So is that ok or did it just ruin the ham?

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 02:38:52 PM »
Jones,

It is OK!  Just ease yourself into this slowly.  Beans have relatively high carbs among other not so terrific properties so you shouldn't eat them constantly.  1/2 cup portion is acceptable.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 04:03:17 PM »
Patvoogt -   your ham is fine!  Enjoy it.  :)

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 04:03:17 PM »

Sponsored Links