This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Wheat free since March 19  (Read 1000 times)

Cinzia from WI

• View Profile
Wheat free since March 19
« on: April 30, 2013, 01:44:16 PM »
Hi from WI
A friend told me about Wheat Belly on March 19 and I immediately downloaded the book and cookbook. I have been wheat free since. The information Dr. Davis provided in the book resonated with much of what I already believed re: GMOs and the need for drugs to control our health versus doing something naturally. I am 64 and in March started taking Lisinopril for high blood pressure. Blood work done in January 2013 revealed that my bad cholesterol (LDL) increased 40 points from the year before, fasting blood sugar 113, despite the fact I rode my bicycle 600 miles in 2012, did quite a bit of walking, and only lost 5 lb. I didn't change my diet in any significant way to warrant the high cholesterol number, but was watching fat content and eating whole grains. Since starting Wheat Belly, I have lost 9 lb; I am rarely hungry, unlike previously when I thought about food all the time. My fasting blood sugar numbers are all over the place, having recently a 152 reading. I take comfort in Dr. Davis's advice that blood sugar readings will increase while the body is in weight-loss mode. I do not want to take a statin drug nor do I want to have diabetes. Heart disease and diabetes are prevalent in my family so am hoping genetics don't have me doomed. Thanks for letting me share my story.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: Wheat free since March 19
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 02:27:23 PM »
Welcome Cinzia.  Congrats on doing so much activity!   I think you'll find that this diet will really change your cholesterol profile.   My triglycerides dropped from 236 to 85.  I too did the low fat and multigrain diet before, and even with a regular exercise regiment, the weight just kept creeping up every month.  Others here have reversed diabetes.

Glad you joined the forum.

Joan from MN

• Wheat free since 1/20/13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 03:10:28 PM »
Welcome from another Wheat Bellyer from a neighboring state!

My husband was put on Lisinopril last fall for high blood pressure. We went wheat free in January, and by mid-March he was taken off the medication. I know individual results vary, but there are many other stories out there of people not needing their BP or diabetes medication any longer after going wheat free.

I've read that genetics loads the gun, but lifestyle pulls the trigger, so I'm determined to stack the deck in my favor wherever possible!  (Pardon all the mixed metaphors!  :)  )

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 03:10:28 PM »

Sponsored Links