This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: What's the truth about popcorn?  (Read 843 times)

tpbeebejr

• View Profile
What's the truth about popcorn?
« on: February 24, 2014, 01:43:18 PM »
I am new here and I just posted my introduction in the Introduce Yourself section. I am trying to learn about popcorn. I couldn't find anything in the Wheat Belly book, and when I used SEARCH here in this forum, I only found one thing about a member that said she cheated by having popcorn at the movies. In one of the responses to her "cheating" post, someone replied that a few cups of non-GMO corn was fine.  I'd like to know more about popcorn - the scientific facts and the anecdotes. Does anyone know where I can find popcorn's glycemic index when cooked/popped in various ways? And what about the GMO aspects: is there a similar story for modern corn (i.e., high-yield GMO corn) vs. ancient corn? Does corn have the same amylopectin-A carbohydrate that gives wheat its high glycemic index?

Thanks,
Tom
Thanks,
Tom (tpbeebejr)
Wheat-free since 15 Jan 2014

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
Re: What's the truth about popcorn?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 05:18:58 PM »
See "Corn (aka Maize, and including Teosinte)" on this forum.

With popcorn, you have all those issues, including: is it really non-GMO?

The package should tell you the total carbs per serving (and the serving size has a good chance of being understated). Subtract from that the "fiber" carbs and you have net carbs.

Your single-meal/6-hour limit is 15 grams (for everything you eat combined). I'll bet that's not much popcorn, assuming you decide to ever eat corn again.

Wheat Free Forum

Re: What's the truth about popcorn?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 05:18:58 PM »

Sponsored Links