This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: German barley bread  (Read 1371 times)

tpbeebejr

• View Profile
German barley bread
« on: February 26, 2014, 08:38:46 PM »
I found the following on the [/size]livestrong.com website while looking for information on low-glycemic bread.[/color][/size]"Barley Bread[/font]Opt for barley bread for a hearty addition to a low-GI diet. A serving of coarse bread made with whole barley grains has a glycemic index of just 30, and contains just 7 grams of carbohydrates. The whole barley kernels found in the bread also offer nutritional value, boosting your intake of magnesium and phosphorus, two minerals that nourish your bones."I'd like to hear your comments about this site and about the above barley bread. Thanks,Tom[/color]
Thanks,
Tom (tpbeebejr)
Wheat-free since 15 Jan 2014

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Re: German barley bread
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 05:02:55 AM »
Tom,
We've been on the WB path for over a year and initially, I scrambled around trying to duplicate breads and other mimic foods (even though our prior consumption was considered minimal).....to the extent of ordering emmer/eikorn bread from a farm out east. A year into this woe and I rarely think about baking anything other than the flaxseed crackers periodically.....but to get back to your inquiry regarding barley.....here's a post by Dr. Davis......

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2011/10/gluten-free-is-for-sissies/

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 05:05:57 AM »
> ... glycemic index of just 30 ...

The target is a GI of zero. 30 is actually pretty high.

Barley is a gluten-bearing grain.
Modern barley cultivars have been hybridized in the same fashion as wheat, and are likely to express the same adverse proteins that cause a spectrum of problems entirely distinct from the hazards of the carbs and gluten.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 06:13:55 AM »
Tom,

The Julian Bakery makes a frozen bread that is acceptable to our WOE.  Check their website for availability in your area.  I personally found them expensive and rather tasteless, although they hold together enough for a sandwich.  The recipes in Dr. D's cookbooks and several posted on his blog site (sunflower seed bread) and many other paleo sites are excellent and worth making.  There are several on this blog site that also tasty.  I find that they tend not to hold together enough for a sandwich, but open faced and "melts" are excellent uses.

Jan is quite right about shifting over to using crackers.  WFMF offers convenient ready to bake packets.  There are also several recipes on this blog or paleo sites.  I personally still bake the breads, slice and freeze them. 

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 06:13:55 AM »

Sponsored Links