This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Wheat Belly Cook Book recipe for pizza  (Read 2103 times)

tpbeebejr

• View Profile
Wheat Belly Cook Book recipe for pizza
« on: February 28, 2014, 12:38:03 AM »
Today I tried my first recipe from the Wheat Belly Cook Book. I made the pizza on page 155, with some substitutions for the toppings. On half of the pie I used tomato sauce, while on the other half I used basil pesto sauce (Kirkland brand, 5 net grams of carbs covering one-half of the pie). As toppings I kept the shredded mozzarella, provolone, and kalamata olives, but instead of the prosciutto (which I love, but didn't have on hand), I added half of a chopped yellow bell pepper, about one-half-inch of a purple onion, diced, and lots of chopped fresh spinach.

It was my first experience with pizza crust using the All-Purpose Baking Mix (described on page 19 of the WBCB). Although the taste of all the toppings was great, the "crust" did not turn out to my liking. Its taste was acceptable, but I really wanted something harder and crunchy. The "crust" seemed too soft and gummy. Next time I plan to use a higher temperature (450 F instead of 400 F) for the first 10 minutes when the crust is cooking. And I also plan to use about 50% less of it so I can make a thinner crust that still fits on the baking sheet.

Do any of you have any tricks for how to make a crunchy, rather than gummy, crust?
Thanks,
Tom
Wheat-free since 15 Jan 2014
Thanks,
Tom (tpbeebejr)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: Wheat Belly Cook Book recipe for pizza
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 04:54:26 AM »
Tom,

Make sure that you pre-cook all ingredients, especially veggies, and drain them as as much as possible.  Make sure any toppings that give off moisture or grease are well drained after cooking them and/or before placing on the crust.  Any oils or liquids that seep from the toppings will make the crust soggy.  WBB has some suggestions for sauce and toppings too.  Use the search mode on the blog site. 

GourmetGirlCooks has a wonderful recipe for an Almond-Flax-Parmesan-Herb crust which really is crispy. 

Using these nut flours is a learned experience.  They are different than wheat flours and each has a distinctive property you need to learn.  Eventually you do!  My latest discovery is that when greasing a pan for baking, it helps to use coconut oil or butter AND THEN REFRIGERATE the pan for about 10 minutes so that the grease is well chilled and will not get absorbed into the batter.  If the pan is cold before you grease it, the grease doesn't spread as easily.

Hope this helps.   
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 05:26:45 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 05:13:26 AM »
In my last WFMF order, I added pizza crust mixes which we're trying out Sunday night for our annual Oscar party.....will tweak a little by adding more cheese to crust mix and roll out very thin in hopes of making it crispier. I haven't had pizza in months so am looking forward to it! Will post results....on the pizza, not the Oscars! 8)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 05:23:40 AM by Jan in Key West »

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 10:10:16 AM »
I always use parchment to bake on and I've been able to get some really tasty and crispy thin crusts.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 08:41:41 AM »
Pizza's turned out pretty good.....used extra grated cheese (mozz plus parm) added to the mix.....rolled it out thinner than what they recommend, used parchment paper and they were crispy. I had a bunch of other food available and no one noticed it was an entirely wheat/gluten/sugar free feast.

P.s. Gary, from WFMF has indicated that they have a health/nut bar on their agenda.....sometime in the future.

tpbeebejr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 03:09:32 PM »
Thanks for the update, Jan.

I "discovered" a way to make the extremely sticky crust extra thin, and therefore crispy and not gummy when it is all cooked (I put discovered in quotes because I'm sure that I am not the first one to do this). First, I lay out the batter on a bottom sheet of wax paper, trying to get the blobs as even as possible. Next, I put on a top sheet of wax paper. Next, I use a rolling pin to work out the lumps and thin things out, working from the center to the outside. I tried to make things about one-quarter inch or thinner with the rolling pin.

To make an edge around the crust perimeter I reached between the sheets of wax paper with a wooden spoon having a flat end. I used the spoon as a pusher to slightly thicken the crust at the edges. While using the rolling pin, some of the edges will get ratty, and the spoon can be used to pretty things up a little.

This time I also decided to use a pizza stone and to cook directly on it. In fact it is a 20-inch by 20-inch smooth ceramic tile that I bought as a sample from Home Depot and never used. It worked great, but anything ceramic would work well. I think the key for a crisp crust is to have the cooking surface already hot when you put the dough on it. So I had my "pizza stone" in the over during the whole oven pre-heating time. I also upped the temperature from 400 F to 450 F for the first 10 minutes.

To put the sticky dough onto the hot pizza stone is a little tricky. First I spread white flour all over my hands and the countertop to prevent sticking.  Just kidding. Wanted to see if anyone is still paying attention to my long post.

To put the sticky dough onto the hot pizza stone I first flipped the thinned dough onto its top (so that my crust edge will be on the correct side at the end) while it was still between the two sheets of wax. Next I removed the wax paper from the upward-facing bottom side of the crust. At this point it was possible the hold up the single sheet of wax paper with the dough stuck to it in a completely vertical orientation.

With the oven and pizza stone at temperature and already open, and the rack with the pizza stone pulled as far out as is safe, I used the wax paper to guide the dough onto the pizza stone. This was very easy. After the dough was flat, I then peeled off the last sheet of wax paper from the now-upward-facing top side of the pizza crust. There was no need to hold the dough down. It seemed to stick nicely under its own weight to the pizza stone. I let the crust cook for about 10 minutes at 450 F. It was golden brown and crispy.

To finish, remember to turn the heat back down to 350ish, added your toppings, and cook for another 5-10 minutes, depending on your toppings.

Thanks,
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 03:20:48 PM by tpbeebejr »
Thanks,
Tom (tpbeebejr)

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 03:09:32 PM »

Sponsored Links