This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Vitamin D and the sun  (Read 3954 times)

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Vitamin D and the sun
« on: March 16, 2014, 05:13:18 AM »
A short video on Vitamin D-ology.....looks like I need to get out from under the umbrella!

http://tv.greenmedinfo.com/optimal-amount-sun-exposure/

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: Vitamin D and the sun
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 10:28:14 AM »
I just recently learned that too.   I thought I was doing such a good job getting my vitamin D in all winter.  Come to find out that the sun wasn't even at the right angle to get my vitamin D.

Then, you still need cholesterol and magnesium to convert vitamin D to it's active form.  So think of all those people doing statins and a fat free diet.

I thought I had read before that pastured meat gave us vitamin D, because the cows had been absorbing it.   I need to see if I can find some research on that.   I don't like taking supplements, but maybe that's one I should look into.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 10:43:43 AM »
Here's an interesting article:
http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Vitamin-D.html

According to that, cholesterol rich foods are where you'd tend to look for vitamin D.    I'm curious how much vitamin D is in a pastured egg compared to the standard egg.

I also read that tallow and lard might be a good source   but I need to research that a little more to know for sure.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 11:45:52 AM »
Vitamin D is found in liver (and perhaps other organ meats as well), certain fish, egg yolks, dairy, and animal fats, (bone broths).....and since the nutrients sourced from animals are more bio available to us, it stands to reason that's our best bet.

If you ever find a source for determining micronutrients of pastured verses standardly raised eggs and dairy, please post! I found one for meat, but nothing else.

And now I'm heading out (sans umbrella) to get some UVB's....... 8)

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 12:55:59 PM »
Being a redhead (plus grey)  I always had a bad time burning when in the sun.  Fifteen minutes and I was a lobster.  I could never tolerate sunscreen and have the nasty skin to prove it!! I still was an avid gardener and walker, even so.  Oddly, I found I had a bad vit. D deficiency which I take suppliments to improve.  Well, after a long time supplementing, I now find I don't burn anywhere near as much.  I still have 'old skin'  but don't burn.  This blows my mind just to think about it.  I read this effect of vit. D in a book somewhere, but didn't believe it at the time. I often wonder if I could have been more comfortable in my own skin had I had my vitamin levels tested.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 06:18:38 PM »
I've never believed in using sunscreen....I use Emu oil, although I usually wear a visor, sunglasses and am rarely in the direct sun for extended periods of time.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 06:26:18 PM by Jan in Key West »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 06:58:02 AM »
I was reading more in the book The Perfect Health Diet last night ( which I have to say is probably my favorite overall nutrition book to date ) and they were saying that wheat contributes to vitamin D deficiency.   They found that rickets ( which is normally a vitamin D deficiency ), can be caused by cereal grains even when sun exposure and blood vitamin D levels are high.  They said that in Ireland the 1942 rickets epidemic was caused by a switch from white to whole wheat flour, suggesting the presence of a rickets-inducing agent in the bran.

They have a whole section on it, listing even more evidence that wheat causes rickets.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 12:30:46 PM by Rita »

mosey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 11:58:57 AM »
Jan, please tell us about emu oil.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 12:30:05 PM »
Emu oil has natural sun barriers and was used by aboriginals as well as others who live where Emu are more prevalent. It's a by-product of processing the meat....is very oily but absorbs quickly and a little goes a long way. Years ago, when Dr. Mercola and others started writing about the dangers of sunscreens, someone told me about Emu and I've been using it ever since. Apparently it has lots of healing properties.....most health food stores carry it as well as Amazon. I use the Gold variety.....works great as a sun block.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 12:45:52 PM by Jan in Key West »

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 08:51:03 AM »
Have to look in to the emu oil, never knew it had sunscreen properties.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 07:19:45 AM »
This post probably belongs in the other Vit D thread but I am too lazy to  continue looking for it!  I just got my annual physical and got mostly good news, at least until I personally check the numbers.  I did get my D results and it has finally risen from 20 to 48 after a long year and a half, or more, of supplementing. Finally!  I was beginning to think it would never improve. I had to switch to 10,000 units daily, for months, to finally budge it.  Now I need to find my optimum maintenance dose, maybe 5,000?  If anyone else here is still taking D, all I can suggest is to not give up, if it moves slowly. I did make sure to take K2 along way.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 07:42:51 AM »
That is great to hear Lynda, and I've also added the K2 with the Vitamin D, I take mine in the morning, 5000 iU.  Not sure how much K2, but it seems minimal, how much do you take?

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 10:40:30 AM »
Hi Barb, I take Life Extension Super K.  This is a mix of the different vit k types, both K1 and K2.  I think it's about 1200mcg for the K2.  It even has a pinch of vit C, which I'm sure I need.  I take one capsule with each 5000u of vit D3.  I'm convinced that the D has caused a number of improvements in my body, even when my levels continued low.  I guess since every cell needs vit D it could take a while, if you are very low to start?  I was beginning to give up hope, though.  Looks like I am one of the people who need a huge dose to get it to move. I started with 1000 and ended taking 10,000.  My friend needs 50,000 all at once to effect a change.  Everybody is slightly different, keeps things interesting!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 10:40:30 AM »

Sponsored Links