This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: New Clothes  (Read 9427 times)

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
New Clothes
« on: May 02, 2013, 10:18:11 AM »
It's time for me to eliminate most of last year's T-shirts from my closet...too big. If any of you need help building your new wardrobe (and most likely you WILL need a new wardrobe) a great site is http://www.missussmartypants.com/
She has saved me money and helped me so much.

I'm down 2-3 sizes from 1-1/2 years ago. And last year we emptied DH's closet of 2 full wardrobes in 2 different sizes. I'm glad my weight loss has been gradual...or I would have had nothing to wear !!!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: New Clothes
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 10:54:54 AM »
Woooo Hoooo!

Shoppin' Time!

Wheatless in Seattle

• G&SF since Sept 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 04:37:24 PM »
Yes, Deanna.  It's been great to buy smaller sizes for our Wheatless bodies.  And fun to clean out the closets.  I've had some items altered, but some of them just aren't worth the cost of alterations.  The good news is, whatever we recycle can be enjoyed by someone who needs it.

aspexil

• Went wheat free end of Feb 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 03:37:19 PM »
In 6 months I have made 2 trips to Goodwill.  I have another load ready to go next weekend.  This is just unreal. 

scrupulousgirl

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 09:43:08 AM »
I ordered a pair of pants for the upcoming cool weather in an Extra-Large vs 1X and THEY FIT perfectly! There is no way at the weight I am currently at that when I was on the Medifast plan that I could have ever fit into an Extra-large pant. I've also recently gone down a shoe size and had to get some new shoes for Fall/Winter ha ha I'm doing the Wheat Belly Happy dance in my new Clark's shoes  :)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 09:45:48 AM »
Awesome scrupulous!   And I love Clark shoes.  I wear their shoes everyday - so comfortable and stylish

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 10:12:02 AM »
I, too, am wondering what to do with my oversized clothes.  I'm down 4 sizes since last November.  I've tried taking a couple pairs of slacks in, but it's too much fabric, and the shape of the garment is lost.  I'm hesitant to buy a bunch of stuff since I plan to continue losing ... just about half way now, and a ways to go.  I'm going thru my stuff again this weekend to weed out things to take to Salvation Army.  My shoes still fit the same, however.  This is all good, right?   :)

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 10:16:15 AM »
You go, girls!  Now's our big chance to get a real 'wardrobe' instead of just mismatched pieces.  Yeaaah!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 11:07:36 AM »
What a wonderful feeling it is to have clothes fit nicely again!  I haven't lost an enormous amount of weight, but the 30 lbs is sure making a difference in the way clothes "hang".  I can wear stylish clothes again without that shapeless look of mismatched pieces Lynda mentioned.   :D

My shoe size did change (smaller) and I also found that I needed to replace several pairs that either began to hurt or were just too big.
The best part is that my toe joints don't ache anymore!

Loanne, you just might try to shop at a resale store or at Goodwill for some items to fit you while you are still in weight loss mode.  Just an outfit or two until you reach your weight goal.  Nothing expensive that might not fit next season.  I bought clothes while gaining, so I have a better selection to choose from now.  A friend of mine lost a fair amount of weight and actually found lots of clothes in perfect condition to purchase at a resale shop in NC.  Very inexpensive. 

« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 03:26:08 PM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 11:36:27 AM »
Shoes have become a problem for me.  I put on some old shoes and they fell right off my feet.  I have a narrow foot and it's almost impossible to find narrow shoes now.  The weight loss means that I now have one pair of poor fitting shoes left to wear.  They are old work shoes and are too ugly to believe. I have also lost the fat pad on the bottom of my feet so I need extreme cushioning.  These are odd, unintended consequences of wheat free living!  Compared to how I felt before, I'll learn to deal.

aspexil

• Went wheat free end of Feb 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 11:39:46 AM »
I'm at a size/weight I haven't been at in years so I'm forced to buy new clothes and unfortunately with another 87 pounds to my goal (hey, down 80+ pounds from my heaviest) weight I'm going to be making regular trips to Goodwill.  Maybe I'll start leaving notes in the pockets "Eliminate wheat.  Get the 'Wheat Belly' book.  I did and that is why I don't need these pants/shirts anymore!" 

scrupulousgirl

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 01:29:56 PM »
I'm at a size/weight I haven't been at in years so I'm forced to buy new clothes and unfortunately with another 87 pounds to my goal (hey, down 80+ pounds from my heaviest) weight I'm going to be making regular trips to Goodwill.  Maybe I'll start leaving notes in the pockets "Eliminate wheat.  Get the 'Wheat Belly' book.  I did and that is why I don't need these pants/shirts anymore!"

I am in agreement with you on leaving notes behind your donated clothes. That's a great idea! HA HA!

mosey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 02:41:47 PM »
Don't we all Love New Clothes! When I lost 55 lbs on Atkins about 10 years ago and had to maintain a professional work wardrobe I would take a load of big clothes to Goodwill & turn around and shop there too. I could not afford a new wardrobe for each size I went down & interim shopping there was a lot more budget friendly. As the new used clothes got too big I redonated and shopped again. I did not splurge on new clothes till I hit size 6!

Currently I have a couple of sizes stored away & every few weeks I haul out the smaller ones & see it they fit yet. It's great fun & like free shopping. Also keeps me working towards getting back into the 6's. 

Linda R

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 06:46:22 PM »
And I am very impressed with your frugality!!!!!

:) :) :) :)

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 08:00:39 AM »
I shop at thrift shops and consignment shops more than anywhere else now. I love "thrifting". Plus I now have more variety in my closet.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 09:34:25 AM »
Lynda,

My feet are narrow too.  You lose the cushioning on the ball of your foot through aging as well.  At least my feet and toe joints don't swell anymore.  Seems that nearly all the shoes are made using the same "last" in China.  They don't fit me very well.  I wound up going to specialty shoe stores or department stores like Nordstroms or Neiman Marcus or even Lord & Taylor just to find shoes that fit.  Wound up paying more than I wanted to, but at least I am no longer walking around with aching feet.  These shoes do last twice as long or more than the cheaper variety.  No Jimmy Choo's for me!

Ecco makes a comfy sandal that features adjustable velcro and a sole that absorbs shock.  Ros Hommerson makes dressier shoes with lower heels and more stability.  Daniel Pliner also has shoes that fit narrower feet.  Once you find the manufacturer and last that fits, sometimes you can even mail-order replacements.  I did that with the Ecco summer sandals, first time ever and at a very good price too! 

I also find that I have started to enjoy shopping again because my feet and back don't ache and the clothes I try on look good rather than the big unmatched separates that I was relying on. 

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 09:28:52 AM »
Sorry to take so long to thank you, Barbara, for the recommendations.  I'm going to look into the shoes you suggested.  My shoe problem is getting desparate.

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 10:47:08 AM »
This morning I dropped off 7 garbage bags full of clothes at Salvation Army!  I couldn't get all of the bags in my car (I have an SUV), so tomorrow the last 2 bags will go.  It feels wonderful to be cleaning out my closet of all these clothes...and kind of sad, too, that I had so many I never wore.  But hopefully, someone else will get pleasure of these "new-to-them" garments.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 01:16:24 PM »
Lynda,
My husband said to tell you that if you wear a size 8N, you are welcome to deplete my surplus anyday! ;)

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 01:47:29 PM »
Jan, how did he know?  That's just what I wear.  Make me a good deal?  So where do you shoe shop?

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 05:26:37 AM »
Lynda....Not sure where you are in Florida but I can always throw some out the window when we pass by...my husband seems to think I have wayyyyy to many! But 'hey' look what the right shoes did for Cinderella!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 06:56:26 AM »
This morning I dropped off 7 garbage bags full of clothes at Salvation Army!  I couldn't get all of the bags in my car (I have an SUV), so tomorrow the last 2 bags will go.  It feels wonderful to be cleaning out my closet of all these clothes...and kind of sad, too, that I had so many I never wore.  But hopefully, someone else will get pleasure of these "new-to-them" garments.

That must have felt great Loanne!  Congratulations!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 07:29:27 AM »

Jan,

I'm laughing!Husbands ALWAYS think you have WA-A-A-YYY too many shoes and clothes!  Of course, they want you to look smashing when you are serving them that wonderful meal that you cooked or when they take you out.  They really do notice the looks and nods of appreciation of your beauty from the men you have passed.  Their preference would be the "high maintenance look" on a Walmart budget!  No, you can't wear scuffed, dirty sneakers all the time or jeans until they fall apart unless you live on a farm or work in a construction site.  Sunday clothes and shoes are a last century notion.  Shapeless sweats have their uses too, but not for every day and everywhere in my way of thinking. 

However, with our now slim, trim and healthy bodies, we exude the energy and the sense of well being that we feel.  Clothes that fit and are comfy only add to the image of vitality.  Shoes that fit and don't pinch and are not worn down or scuffed up are most important, just like a warm winter coat.  Jan, you are right about Cinderella!   :D :D :D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 01:41:39 PM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 12:13:15 PM »
Toss 'em my way, Jan, and I wouldn't mind some of your bone broth, too.  LOL  Poor Cinderella only got one outfit and I could use a fairy godmother for the whole closet.  This WB weight loss has left my figure oddly distributed (make that:even more oddly).  I wish I could wear some of my improved blood tests, now they look better!
Aspexil, I loved the note in the pocket idea.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 02:02:16 PM »
Lynda,

Don't fret!  It is just taking longer for you to regain your shape.  It is slow going when you get older!  BUT IT WILL HAPPEN!!!!!
Your body has a lot of years of fat accumulation to get rid of.  As you said, you are better than before, but have a ways to go.
Like Cinderella, get yourself the nicest outfit you can wear to most of the places you go to.  It will make you feel wonderful and there will be a smile on your face and a spring in your step! 

There are terrific sales in clothing stores now or even the resale shops to find something very inexpensive.  What a treat that will be!
I was so happy with feeling better and losing about half of my pot belly that I had a pedicure!  I wore my nicest sandals most of the summer and felt very glamorous!  I didn't buy any new clothes yet because I am still slowly losing the weight and have about 20 more lbs. to go and enough clothes still fit from before I gained this weight.  So I treated myself to another pedicure and changed the color of the polish!  Smile every time you think of your improved bloodwork - your improved body is not all that far behind!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 05:00:56 PM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 04:21:26 PM »
Barbara & Lynda.....Yes, although I truly LOVE clothes and shoes and according to my husband, could open my own store, I seem to live in my yoga pants & flip flops.....to the extent one of my children sent me this.....

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2013, 05:20:01 PM »
Jan,

Too funny!  Yoga or running clothes seem to be the style here, at least in the warm weather so you are right in fashion Jan.  After all is said and done, when you are cutting your bones in your driveway, you need to wear comfy clothes, not fancy ones!

My yoga teacher wears her yoga clothes all the time too.   I only wear mine when I have a class and then usually for the rest of that day. Now that the weather will get colder, its back to shoes and socks and sweaters and slacks.  Maybe some of the smaller sizes I have will fit now.  It will feel like a whole new wardrobe to me.

I'm sure that Key West is even more casual, so why would you even think of wearing city-slicker type clothes?

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2013, 09:10:38 AM »
Hilarious, Jan.  Your child has a great sense of humor.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2013, 09:10:38 AM »

Sponsored Links