This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: I AM SO CONFUSED!!  (Read 1876 times)

Bellamouse

• View Profile
I AM SO CONFUSED!!
« on: March 19, 2014, 03:06:20 PM »
So I have been wheat free, and on a MUCH lower sugar diet since October 2012.   I haven't been able to sustain 15 grams or lower of sugar per meal, but believe me, I eat far less sugar than I used to. 

For breakfast I usually eat a flax scone (Dr. Davis recipe) and a greek yogurt (16 g carbs)

For lunch I usually have leftovers, or some cheese or olives, or tomato/mozz salad with olive oil or tuna or sardines, or something like that.

For dinner we have a huge variety of things, typically some kind of meat (almost always grass fed) and vegetables.    And also salads.

We snack on nuts, almond meal baked items, and some chocolate (I'm sure I probably eat too much of that but that can't be the sole source of my problem).  I only buy and use olive oil, coconut oil and Kerrygold butter.

So anyway, I just had my NMR panel done.  My numbers are SO HIGH!!!!!  I am ready to cry. 

Here were my results (it's way worse than before I started wheat free)

total cholesterol 275
LDL-P 1660 (WHAT???)
LDL-C 177  (also, what???)

They didn't give me my triglyceride number yet, I will have access to the full report online later, but that's what they told me over the phone.

One other thing to add, I didn't fast before this test, so perhaps that was the problem?  If so, I am going to be MAD.  I'm sure I will have to pay a lot extra for the NMR panel and no one told me I should fast beforehand.  I probably should have asked but I didn't think about it.

Ugh.  I am beside myself.  Everything seems so crazy high and I cannot figure out why.   Please help if you have any insights.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 03:07:56 PM by Bellamouse »

HungryinTN

Re: I AM SO CONFUSED!!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 04:01:46 PM »
Don't panic yet!  Having you lost fat?  If so, then your bloodstream is probably flooded with toxins.  Apparently it is quite normal to have crazy high readings while you are in a fat loss phase.  There's info on the WB Blog about this phenomenon.  Also remember that cholesterol readings don't necessarily have the meaning that we've been attaching to them for the past fifty years. 

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 05:57:00 PM »
> I haven't been able to sustain 15 grams or lower of sugar per
> meal, but believe me, I eat far less sugar than I used to.

You need to clarify that. The WB target is 15 grams or less net carbs (not sugar) for everything in the meal or 6-hour window.

Most people doing WB do zero added sugars. If someone is consuming actual sugars, it's really tough to hit the net carb goals, and is probably going to prevent them from becoming even a part-time fat metabolizer.

> LDL-P 1660 (WHAT???)

Got any idea what your Apo E genetic status is?

Bellamouse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 07:34:31 PM »
Sorry Boundless - I was typing so fast that I just wrote sugar when I meant carbs.   In my head sugar = carbs (although of course I know that's not right - it's just how I equate it when I'm thinking quickly).

No, I'm not losing fat.  I lost about 5 lbs initially, and then I plateaued and have been the same (between 155 and 159) ever since.  I fluctuate 4 pounds which only happens when I cheat.  Although I am losing those 4 pounds right now, so perhaps that's what's causing the high numbers?  I do appreciate the help.  Do you think not fasting had anything to do with it?

Oh, and I have no idea what Apo E genetic status even is.... never heard of it.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 07:36:10 PM by Bellamouse »

Bellamouse

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 07:39:18 PM »
Tonight's dinner was tilapia with a yellow curry coconut sauce.  I sauteed shallots and red peppers in olive oil, added yellow curry paste, one can of full fat coconut milk, a tablespoon of lime juice and 1 teaspoon of brown sugar.  I poured the sauce over the tilapia filets and baked it for 15 min.  Sprinkled with cilantro.  Side dish was the frozen Normandy Blend vegetables (organic) from Costco.   That's it.   That's pretty typical for us. 

So I'm really, really confused and now I'm wondering if I'm doing myself more harm than good on this diet.  Considering my numbers were much better before.  :(

PattiWheatFree

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 08:14:56 PM »
First off, relax a bit.  This is a journey, and one blood test does not make or break anything.   Roughly 10% of the population has an APO-E4 gene - you receive one of these from each parent.   Often, people that are 4s have a problem clearing fat.  So they have to watch carbs and fat, which is tougher to do.   But frankly, without fasting, who knows what to make of this test.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 09:50:11 PM »
Let's first see what your HDL and your triglycerides are.   Post those when you've got the numbers.

mosey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 10:51:52 AM »
Bella, I have never heard of a cholesterol test from a lab that did not instruct you to fast. I would bring this up to the Dr. & ask that you not be charged for retesting. The medical community needs to be held accountable. Retesting could put your mind at ease.

Bellamouse

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 11:57:16 AM »
Test component   Your result   Standard range   Result comments
LDL-P    1660 nmoles/L    1000-1600    Above Normal High
LDL-C    177 mg/dL    0-100    Above Normal High
HDL-C    72 mg/dL    40-200   
Triglycerides    128 mg/dL    0-150   
Cholesterol, Total    275 mg/dL    0-199    Above Normal High
HDL-P (Total)    37.7 umol/L    30.5-100.0   
Small LDL-P    109 nmoles/L    0-527   
LDL Size    22.0 nmoles/L    20.5-100.0   
Large VLDL-P    0.8 nmoles/L      
Small LDL-P    109 nmoles/L      
Large HDL-P    13.9 umol/L      
VLDL Size    38.9 nm      
LDL Size    22.0 nm      
HDL Size    9.8 nm      
LP-IR Score    <25    0-100

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 01:43:24 PM »

Bella, I have never heard of a cholesterol test from a lab that did not instruct you to fast. I would bring this up to the Dr. & ask that you not be charged for retesting. The medical community needs to be held accountable. Retesting could put your mind at ease.

Totally agree with that!

VibeRadiant

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 07:34:34 AM »
Tonight's dinner was tilapia with a yellow curry coconut sauce.  I sauteed shallots and red peppers in olive oil, added yellow curry paste, one can of full fat coconut milk, a tablespoon of lime juice and 1 teaspoon of brown sugar.  I poured the sauce over the tilapia filets and baked it for 15 min.  Sprinkled with cilantro.  Side dish was the frozen Normandy Blend vegetables (organic) from Costco.   That's it.   That's pretty typical for us. 

That sounds delicious!

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 05:09:21 PM »
Can't believe they didn't tell you to fast. I don't believe you can trust those numbers. Mine also went up after starting WB but the only numbers I was worried about were triglycerides, LDL-P and Small LDL-P. Turns out that if I can reduce the small LDL-P, my LDL-P will be within normal range (all other things being equal).

I'm taking slo-niacin now (as per Dr. Davis' suggestions) and walking most days so I hope to get the small LDL-P down to being negligible. Yours are not bad at 109. Mine were 440 and my LDL-P was around 1375. So getting the small LDL-P down to under 100 will put my LDL-P in a good range.

After I posted this I did some searching around about whether fasting is necessary. Here is an FAQ that says fasting isn't necessary for NMR testing: http://www.lipidcenter.com/er_faq.php#16.

And it looks as if this explanation suggests that only LDL-C and LP-IR are not valid if not fasting. http://www.liposcience.com/sites/default/files/content/downloads/Understanding_Direct_Report.pdf.

My doctor always requires that I fast for 12 hours.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 05:26:30 PM by Lila »

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 05:09:21 PM »

Sponsored Links