This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: I can stop  (Read 1813 times)

Lila

• View Profile
I can stop
« on: March 22, 2014, 02:38:28 PM »
In my trip to San Antonio and indulging in Mexican food I am delighted to say that I can STOP after eating 3 chips. Indeed I wouldn't want any chips if the place settings included spoons for the salsa, LOL.

But I have enjoyed a few margaritas, to be sure.

HungryinTN

Re: I can stop
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 04:22:02 PM »
Or spoons for the cheese dip ;)! Great job! I, too, had a Mexican restaurant victory the other day. I went to lunch with my boyfriend and s one colleagues and didn't have a single chip! A month ago that would have been no big deal, but after last week I am somewhat proud of it. Alcohol, on the other hand...   :o

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 05:29:31 PM »
> But I have enjoyed a few margaritas, to be sure.

Typical margs are sugar-loaded. The more generic mixes are apt to be HFCS heavy. The more trendy mixes are apt to be "agave nectar" (aka extra high fructose agave root syrup), which is even worse.

It's easily possible to craft a near-zero carb marg (assuming we don't count the tequila as carbs).

The trick is finding substitutes for the added sugars and for the triple sec (which is sugar heavy).

The juice of raw lemons and limes has very low net carbs.

Stevia, fortunately, works very well with citrus ingredients, so that takes care of the direct sugars.

That leaves the triple sec, for which I'd be inclined to try some orange zest, and bump the stevia a bit.

Now, getting the bar to offer this is another matter ...

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 06:08:52 PM »
I wonder how fermented oranges would work.....along with lime juice and monk fruit with some Patron. I ferment lemons and add them, as well as the juice, to water.....makes for a very tangy drink!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 06:12:36 PM by Jan in Key West »

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 07:18:30 PM »
Well, I've focused on trying to be grain free on this trip and with the exception of a handful of tortilla chips, have been successful. I will try to make up for the rest next week. I have decided I can live without hurricanes in New Orleans in a couple of weeks and I can avoid the crawfish etoufee if I can find some boiled gulf shrimp.

Even the elegant dinner on Tuesday was pains takingly grain free (the waiter was celiac so he understood what gluten, and mostly grain, free meant). I even had my first ever grilled oyster as an appetizer instead of the chicken fried oyster appetizer everyone else had. It was delicious. The only thing close to grain that came near my place setting was some shirataki noodles under the oyster.

I do love margaritas in San Antonio, though.

It has been a wonderful trip with lots of good stuff at the conference and lots of walking along with the margaritas.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 07:20:42 PM by Lila »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 08:30:14 PM »
But I have enjoyed a few margaritas, to be sure.

I get that.  Just had a 22 oz margarita tonight.  Sure tasted good!

HungryinTN

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 09:15:04 AM »
Re: margaritas, most places will make a lighter version if you request it.  I get them to leave out the simple syrup.  Yes, they usually look at me like I'm crazy.  Just fresh lime juice, tequila, and maybe some kind of citrus liqueur if they have something that's not exceptionally sugary, like Patron Citronage. 

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 05:37:48 PM »
I am amazed at how much carbs bloat a person. I'll be glad when I'm back in ketosis. I feel much better in that state....

I did have a great time, though, to be sure!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 05:37:48 PM »

Sponsored Links