This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Turmeric Tea ( anti-inflammatory )  (Read 6884 times)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Turmeric Tea ( anti-inflammatory )
« on: March 22, 2014, 09:28:36 PM »

Dr. Sanjay Gupta's recipe for Tumeric Tea:

Ingredients

1 cup almond milk
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp honey
1/4 tsp ginger

Directions
Heat the almond milk in a microwave, stir in the spices and drizzle the honey on top. Enjoy!

Here's info on the anti-inflammatory properties

Turmeric -  http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=78

Ginger -  http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=72

Honey -  http://www.academia.edu/2187703/Pdf_10_The_anti-inflammatory_activity_of_honey

Cinnamon -  http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=68
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 02:30:25 PM by Rita »

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Re: Turmeric Tea ( anti-inflammatory )
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 05:12:53 AM »
Interesting.....before WB, I used to drink water with apple cider vinegar and a few teaspoons of Manuka honey every morning, similiar to what my mother used to give us as children, only she used regular honey. Manuka honey comes from the flowers of the tee tree plant and is much denser, darker and has a stronger flavor than other varieties of honey. Several of the studies below used Manuka honey, both internally and topically. There is a product for topical use but it's kind of sticky and not exactly user friendly.....anyway, gave up the honey component once we started WB due to the high GI but am now wondering if it could be fermented and still have some therapeutic value.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 08:21:38 AM »
I just bought manuka honey last week as a matter of fact.   I attended a local workshop a few weeks ago on the traditional medicinal uses of honey.

I guess I had assumed that honey was bad due to the fructose, but it in fact has a lot of healing properties.   It's antibacterial, has a lot of friendly bacteria and beneficial enzymes, helps with blood sugar control, has antioxidants, helps with respiratory health, reduces white blood cell count with high fevers, and it a rich source of silica .

You'd have to get raw honey if at all possible.   The honey found in the bears in the store is apparently part honey and the rest is high fructose corn syrup.  So you really have to source it.

The person giving the workshop was saying that one should take Manuka honey on hiking trips as part of their first aid supplies.  Apparently there have been numerous people that had terrible injuries on hikes, where they could not get help for a long time.  They however ingested manuka, as well as put it on their wounds and it saved their lives.   It fights staph-  the doctors don't have to give antibiotics if the wound has been treated with honey.  Manuka honey is very powerful on healing burns as well.

So mead is what the fermented version of honey is.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 08:28:05 AM by Rita »

HungryinTN

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 09:19:31 AM »
I've used local honey to get through allergy season for years.  I'm a firm believer in its healing magic!  And when I was about fifteen I discovered that homemade mead cured menstrual cramps!  I've been thinking about getting some manuka honey, but it is SO expensive!  The recipe looks fantastic, though.  I can't wait to give it a try! 

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 11:28:08 AM »
> I guess I had assumed that honey was bad due to the fructose ...

Being a simple dissacharide, that's almost 100% net carb, and half free fructose, would be the historical concern. On that basis I would avoid even honey personally collected from a local wild hive known to have little access to hazardous pollen sources.

The problems with contemporary purchased "honey" are legion, and so pervasive and severe that you might be better off just using Caro syrup with a dusting from local flowers.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 01:27:14 PM »

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 01:42:27 PM »
> Here's Chris Kresser's take on fructose:

Which raises questions with Lustig. There's also Johnson (The Fat Switch) to consider, and the trial cited by Dr. Davis at WBB: "Goodbye fructose". The immediate metabolic differences between glucose and fructose are pretty straightforward.

Even when the question is about authentic honey (which is extremely difficult to be sure of), the stuff is hi gly. Just under one tablespoon is your meal/6hr 15 gram carb limit.

My personal posture is: zero added sugars, and fructose only from whole fruits, limited by the net carbs thereof (which rules out many common bred-for-sweet modern fruits).

scrupulousgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 07:54:38 AM »
Rita,

Thank you for the Recipe!

This may be a silly question, but is the Ginger that you're using for this Fresh or do they make a Ground Ginger in the Spice aisle? LOL Sorry for my ignorance! I will be using Stevia instead of Honey.

-Bailey

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 08:23:41 AM »
Scrupulous,

I'm using a lot more spices than I ever did with this WOE.  I would check the Penzeys.com web site to see if they have a store near you.  I did this because both NomNomPaleo and WellFed authors highly recommended the products.  Turned out there was a store 10 miles away!  You are able to "sniff" the open display jars.  They also have fabulous premixed items.  I tried a .7 oz. size of their Bavarian Seasoning (brown mustard, rosemary, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, sage) on ordinary lamb chops.  I added the usual salt and pepper and then rubbed in this spice.  Delicious! 

Aside from their numerous spice blends, their spices are fresh, pungent and pricing is competitive, some times even less expensive than in the supermarket.  I am happy with all the items I have purchased there.  Even the cut, dried ginger makes a wonderful tea!  Although I keep my ginger in the freezer and slice off whatever I need, it is good to have the dehydrated on hand.  Yes, you can use the powdered spice, but be aware that it sometimes is not ground fine enough and does not dissolve.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 09:58:48 AM »
Scrupulous -   I've made it both ways.   I use fresh ginger when I have it, but also have ground ginger in my spices.

scrupulousgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 11:17:01 AM »
Scrupulous -   I've made it both ways.   I use fresh ginger when I have it, but also have ground ginger in my spices.

Beautiful! Thank you, Rita!

-Bailey

jones

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 08:57:01 PM »
... On that basis I would avoid even honey personally collected from a local wild hive known to have little access to hazardous pollen sources.

Hi Boundless.  What's a hazardous pollen source? 

I have heard (at the farmer's market's) that local honey is good for allergies.  But I don't know for sure.

I had to completely walk away from sweeteners.  But I eat fruit in moderation w/out worry. 

Might try the tea.  Not sure about milk substitutes though.  Tend to like real dairy. 

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 10:00:28 PM »
Might try the tea.  Not sure about milk substitutes though.  Tend to like real dairy.

You can do this with real dairy, or coconut milk. 

What's a hazardous pollen source? 

You can buy organic raw honey.  Organic is from fields where they don't use chemical pesticides and the fields are not GMO.  But of course, there is no way to know exactly where the bee is going.

scrupulousgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 10:19:19 AM »
I am having some of this right now, with a slight variation since I don't have the Ginger yet. I substituted Allspice and also added 1 Tbsp MCT oil. I really like this and will definitely try it with the ginger as well. Thank you again for the recipe! Also, I used Liquid Stevia vs Honey.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 12:26:35 PM »
Here's a new study on the effects of honey and ginger together:

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/honey-and-ginger-beat-antibiotics-inhibiting-superbugs

Researchers from Ethiopa's College of Medicine at the University of Gondar have determined that a combination of honey and ginger extract powder will inhibit the growth of superbugs such as MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus), Escherichia coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae  - some of the most lethal 'superbugs' known.

ihtareq773

• Iím a very simple person.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2015, 07:40:00 PM »
I just bought manuka honey last week as a matter of fact.   I attended a local workshop a few weeks ago on the traditional medicinal uses of honey.

I guess I had assumed that honey was bad due to the fructose, but it in fact has a lot of healing properties.   It's antibacterial, has a lot of friendly bacteria and beneficial enzymes, helps with blood sugar control, has antioxidants, helps with respiratory health, reduces white blood cell count with high fevers, and it a rich source of silica .

You'd have to get raw honey if at all possible.   The honey found in the bears in the store is apparently part honey and the rest is high fructose corn syrup.  So you really have to source it.

The person giving the workshop was saying that one should take Manuka honey on hiking trips as part of their first aid supplies.  Apparently there have been numerous people that had terrible injuries on hikes, where they could not get help for a long time.  They however ingested manuka, as well as put it on their wounds and it saved their lives.   It fights staph-  the doctors don't have to give antibiotics if the wound has been treated with honey.  Manuka honey is very powerful on healing burns as well.

So mead is what the fermented version of honey is.

Studies conducted at the School of Florida have discovered that curcumin that is the Turmeric  tea factor in turmeric draw out extract attract out and therefore tea can decrease the circumstances of Alzheimer’s illness.

This is why a research of senior citizens in Regional local native indian places discovered that they had the smallest circumstances of Alzheimer’s on the world. When beta-amyloid oral dental plaque produces up in the mind, this issue causes Alzheimer’s illness.

Curcumin in turmeric draw out extract  tea can avoid this oral dental plaque create up and decrease swelling of receptors tissues that is another cause of Alzheimer’s illness. Clean made turmeric draw out attract tea provides all the awesome features of curcumin.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2015, 07:40:00 PM »

Sponsored Links