This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Time magazine article on new sugar guidelines - cancelled my subscription  (Read 1152 times)

Randal

• View Profile
The March 24th edition of Time has an article titled "Sweet Sacrifice: New guidelines seek to curb our sugar intake. Are they too harsh?" Nice loaded question there.

The gist of the article is that the WHO has recommended sugar be restricted to 5% of calories, down from their previous cap of 10%. But Americans get 13% of their calories from sugar. Therefore the new guidelines are unrealistic, because Americans like their sugar-laden processed foods too much.

So the guidelines shouldn't be based on health or science, they should be based on what you can actually get people to do. Imagine if we formulated our guidelines for cigarettes and alcohol on the same basis.

Although obesity is mentioned in passing, nothing is said about the increase in diabetes over the past 30 years. After this thoroughly irresponsible article, I made the extra effort and cancelled my subscription.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
Is the WHO recommendation final yet?

When it was discussed on DietDoctor earlier this month, there was suspicion that affected interests would get it watered down.

DD on 2014-03-06: WHO Recommends Cutting Sugar Intake in Half!

Time is propaganda. I dropped it perhaps 30 years ago. They still haven't apologized for their cover of Jan. 13, 1961  ::)

Randal

• View Profile
Actually it was draft guidelines, not the final recommendation.

Time is simply too beholden to its corporate interests. One day we're going to look back and marvel that at one time people regularly consumed soda with 17 grams of sugar in it (and that's just 12 ounces).

Wheat Free Forum

Sponsored Links