This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Kombucha Tea  (Read 12220 times)

Janet

• View Profile
Kombucha Tea
« on: May 02, 2013, 02:22:38 PM »
Anyone brewing kombucha tea?  I am on my third batch and loving it.  Any tips out there?  Do you want to know more? Excellent gut food and health optimizer plus really tasty and zingy.  KT is so expensive in the store, but a friend gave me a SCOBY starter.  It's like a hobby now for me. LOL

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: Kombucha Tea
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 08:55:21 PM »
I love drinking different teas for health benefits  ( like dandelion root ).

I'd love to hear more about Kombucha.  Never heard of it.

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 11:38:18 AM »
I've been drinking Essiac Tea for my health. Hair has stopped falling out! Skin has healed and energy levels are better. Supposed to help with insulin and since I'm insulin resistant I'm hoping it might. It's not very expensive, less than $1 a day for the aggressive dose.

spryfaery

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 08:45:25 PM »
I'm trying my second batch. First one didn't take. I love the drink and hope I'll become successful with it. It's late, so I'm going to get off the computer. Hope I have more time tomorrow.

Janet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 02:16:22 PM »
Kombucha is fermented sweet tea.  Once you make the sweetened tea, you add a SCOBY (symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast) that looks like a flat mushroom--a living thing.  The SCOBY then eats the sugar and after some days, the tea is tangy and fizzy.  You can bottle or then flavor with fruit, ginger, spices or herbs inside the bottle for even more taste.  New SCOBYs are formed and can be immersed in KT to keep for later brews or pass on.  Many health benefits come with it, as it is fermented and probiotic.  I love the flavor and carbonation. More fun to make than sauerkraut.  There are many good websites that explain how it is done and where to get your SCOBY.  I have a Kombucha Korner in one of my large cabinets now in the kitchen.  LOL.  You can buy KT in bottles at health food stores or good grocery stores.  Try it--you will like it and then when you get tired of paying 3 to 4 dollars a bottle, you will want to brew it yourself.

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 10:24:19 AM »
I recently bought some Kombucha Tea at my local grocery in the frig section.  Just a 16 oz bottle.  Haven't tasted it yet, but am told it's tremendous for health.  I'm interested in making my own so will look on the web for more info.  Am also told recently (by my medical intuitive) that azuki beans are especially good for me, so I'll be boiling up some of those to add to my scrambled eggs or some other way.  Thanks for tip on the team!

masugr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 09:15:39 AM »
I usually buy Synergy at the local Co-op. I was wondering if you made your own Mother or if you purchased it.  If you made, insight would be greatly appreciated as I would love to start making this.  I developed MRSA a few years back, and I find that I have to really replenish my good bacteria to combat the year of severe antibiotics I was on

Teresa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 11:24:02 AM »
Just picked this up at lunchtime at the grocery store, having heard of it but no real idea what it was.  I wish I had known it was carbonated before I shook the hell out of it and opened it in the car.   :o
~Teresa

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 11:29:15 AM »
Just picked this up at lunchtime at the grocery store, having heard of it but no real idea what it was.  I wish I had known it was carbonated before I shook the hell out of it and opened it in the car.   :o

LOL Teresa!! Sorry, I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time. :P

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 11:37:29 AM »
lol-  I bet lots of people do that too, when they see all the stuff on the bottom.

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 01:09:11 PM »
Would this eliminate the need for probiotics?

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 02:01:35 PM »
It's also full of B vitamins, and enzymes.
http://www.seedsofhealth.co.uk/fermenting/kombucha.shtml
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 05:08:09 PM by Rita »

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 03:05:02 PM »
Kombucha is just another way of getting some of the probiotics you need.  Not all of them since the the ingredients of the tea and sugar forms the "mother" which yields only certain strains of enzymes and probiotics.  It is a good addition, but not a total probiotic replacement. 

To me, bone broth should be in your diet on a regular basis.  Kombucha is excellent, but should be used off and on unless you have cancer. Perhaps the naturally ocurring carbonation is what appeals to some people since they don't drink soda anymore. IT is a good tonic.  That Essaic tea is wonderful for daily use.

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 09:13:51 PM »
Thanks Barbara for the answer on probiotics.  I'm really interested in drinking this tea as it helps the immune and I'm hoping helps heal my leaky gut caused by candida. I've been drinking Essiac ever since I found out my sister was diagnosed with cancer. I think it did a pretty good job of detoxing me and it did stop my hair from falling out. I can tell I need more detoxing as I use a zapper and the copper discs get brownish in a 24 hour period 😣. This candida is really hard to get rid of, really hard. I've cleaned up my diet for some time now. I'm not sure what its eating but I still get a rash so I know it in my gut.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 07:29:44 AM »
I've been drinking Essiac ever since I found out my sister was diagnosed with cancer. I think it did a pretty good job of detoxing me and it did stop my hair from falling out.

Sorry to hear about your sister.  Hope she's doing okay.

I lose a lot of hair everyday. Those strands all over the house and my clothes drive me crazy! It's a wonder that I still have a lot of hair.  Haven't found a solution.   So Essiac helped then?

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 08:22:25 AM »
Yes Rita it did, a lot. It used to fall out in bunches in my hands when I washed my hair. Drinking Essiac helped but I think it was from detoxing. It hasn't started to grow back yet. I'm lucky I had a lot of hair to begin with. Finding answers seems to be a full time job. This forum helps.  :)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 09:11:02 AM »

Yes Rita it did, a lot. It used to fall out in bunches in my hands when I washed my hair. Drinking Essiac helped but I think it was from detoxing. It hasn't started to grow back yet. I'm lucky I had a lot of hair to begin with. Finding answers seems to be a full time job. This forum helps. 

I keep thinking it's thyroid related, but my thyroid is still in the appropriate levels according to mainstream medical.  It's off according to Dr. Davis, which is why I'm taking kelp.    I don't take meds for anything, so I know it's not a drug.  I drink my dandelion tea all the time which detoxes the liver.   It started about 5  years ago for me.   Maybe it's hormonal.   I still have a thick head of hair which is really surprising, when you see the what I lose in a day, particularly after a shower.  But my hair in general grows fast, probably from all that protein.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 11:02:35 AM by Rita »

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 09:59:00 AM »
Suzhookum,

Candida is a naturally occurring bacteria which feeds on sugar and quickly gets out of balance.  It is most important not to have ANY sugar until the flora in your intestines gets back into balance.  The low carbs help regain that balance.  Saccharomyces  boulardii is a particular strain of probiotic bacteria yeast which I think is attracted to and helps dissolve the candida overgrowth.  Try to find a probiotic with this strain of bacteria in it.  I don't have time right now to do a quick internet search for foods or products containing this strain, but I remember reading that it is very helpful for diminishing all the candida that gets embedded in our urinary tracts and intestines. 

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 11:04:33 AM »
Barbara -  you always have so many good tidbits!   You must do a lot of studying on nutrition.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 11:46:20 AM »
Rita,

Thank you!
Yes, I read a lot.  I find that it is rather interesting to try to figure out why people behave the way they do.  Obnoxious, hot headed, sullen, selfish, non-thinking, depressed etc. make very poor decisions.  The worse they eat, the worse their life situations are. As they get older, the worse their life becomes as illnesses just add more stress to their already stressful lives.  Their businesses fail, spouses leave them, they foolishly spend money, get fat and fatter, blame everyone else, drink more and on and on.  I don't think they are crazy.  I think they are suffering from food allergies or reactions from bad foodstuff. The older they are, the worse their health gets and the worse their life situations are.

Many years ago I was in a Health and Nutrition program in NYC, but had to leave because I moved out of the area (husband's job relocation).  Don't want to go back to school at this point in my life. 

I get angry at the poor medical advice given by doctors who treat you like a billable hour, provide little or no insight to your problem and just foist useless prescriptions on you. It is easier for me to deal with medical people if I have an understanding of what is ailing me or my loved ones and can cut through the baloney if they talk at all.  Ordering more and more tests is usually just an excuse to cover their incompetence since they don't have a clue of what is wrong.  And so, I constantly read as much as I can about health topics. 

Didn't mean to rant and rave, but it is really pathetic that no one can seem to figure out a candida overgrowth causes all kinds of misery and that the yogurt sold today is useless.  So what do you do?  You have to read!

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2013, 11:50:51 AM »
I have just discovered Kombucha last weekend, so it is funny to see this thread! The local co-op has a tap where you can fill your container. It is called "Aqua Vitae." Made in Vermont, organic raw, comes in two flavors and plain. Not all that pricey at $2.79 a pint. I had the elderberry last time, and now am trying the red current, I think it is. Yummm...! How much of this can a person drink? I had seen some rumors about it having caffeine or alcohol in trace amounts, but the label doesn't mention this. I have been having about four ounces in the afternoon for my Combucha break. I love the name. Maybe I will have to get me a SCOBY.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2013, 11:57:32 AM »
Lyra,

Maybe the co-op will sell you one which they will request from their provider or you can do an internet search for directions on how to use the tea you have to start a "mother" of your own.  I did this for a while.  It is very easy to do with a draft free space.
I just had difficulty looking at the"mother" and stopped making it after a few months. 

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2013, 12:21:12 PM »
Thank you!Yes, I read a lot.  I find that it is rather interesting to try to figure out why people behave the way they do.  Obnoxious, hot headed, sullen, selfish, non-thinking, depressed etc. make very poor decisions.  The worse they eat, the worse their life situations are. As they get older, the worse their life becomes as illnesses just add more stress to their already stressful lives.  Their businesses fail, spouses leave them, they foolishly spend money, get fat and fatter, blame everyone else, drink more and on and on.  I don't think they are crazy.  I think they are suffering from food allergies or reactions from bad foodstuff. The older they are, the worse their health gets and the worse their life situations are.Many years ago I was in a Health and Nutrition program in NYC, but had to leave because I moved out of the area (husband's job relocation).  Don't want to go back to school at this point in my life.  I get angry at the poor medical advice given by doctors who treat you like a billable hour, provide little or no insight to your problem and just foist useless prescriptions on you. It is easier for me to deal with medical people if I have an understanding of what is ailing me or my loved ones and can cut through the baloney if they talk at all.  Ordering more and more tests is usually just an excuse to cover their incompetence since they don't have a clue of what is wrong.  And so, I constantly read as much as I can about health topics.  Didn't mean to rant and rave, but it is really pathetic that no one can seem to figure out a candida overgrowth causes all kinds of misery and that the yogurt sold today is useless.  So what do you do?  You have to read!

lol-  you are passionate.  I love it!  Glad you are on this forum as you provide a lot of really good information.

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2013, 03:29:28 PM »
Yes, this forum has provided comfort to me on more than one occasion. Barbara, I have cut out all sugar since January in a continuing effort to clean up my diet. I'm trying CandElim right now. Robert Harrison, Get Healthy Again, has a very comprehensive website on candida. I dont know how to put the link here but it is worth a visit if you know anyone that is dealing with candida. My husband read it and now knows what we're dealing with. My functional medicine Dr actually has me taking rectified turpentine twice a month now. I think this has helped but the candida is active in my body. Have been dealing with a horrible upset with my son and went to the wine bottle. This brought the rash back, but what is a mother to do. Now I find out today I'm not allowed to see my only grand child! It couldn't get much worse. Now I know what a poison parent can do. So sad. I'm heart broken but still here fighting the good fight to get healthy. Thanks for letting me vent. Barbara, this is vent Wednesday! I declared. Anyway I'm here drinking my Kombacha. It has carbs but one gram of sugar. Also, to keep sugar in tow it is better to drink a small amount ~ 2 oz~ instead of drinking it all at once. I read that some where. I read all the time too but slowly, very slowly. At least I don't forget most of what I read any more. Lol. Anyway, y'all have been so helpful to me. Group hug.

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2013, 03:45:37 AM »
So sorry to hear about you being kept from your grand child. It is so sad when a parent uses the child as a tool like that. Keep on with your good fight and stay healthy. I know things will come around. I have my two little grandchildren living next door to me. That is because I gave their parents half of my property to build on and loaned them my home equity loan for their house. And my son-in-law treats me like dirt!  Now I am poor but have the kids near by. Thanks for letting me vent, too. This calls for some kumbachu tea!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 03:57:22 AM by lyra »

fudgecake

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2013, 08:02:03 AM »
Here's some advice I heard that makes sense to me: Regarding probiotics, keep your gut guessing. In other words, keep changing the probiotics you take. Use capsules, kombucha, natto, sauerkraut, kefir, and other fermented foods. Keep changing it up.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2013, 08:32:20 AM »
Fudgecake,

Excellent advice!  The varying strains are important and will reproduce in a healthy gut.  The varying sources and strengths also will help bacteria to multiply to meet the digestive need when your gut is healthy.  It is when there isn't a good balance of varying strains of bacteria that overgrowth problems like candida happen.

Think of it this way: everything you eat needs a specific kind of bacteria to digest it.  Candida thrives on sugar. The more sugar or foods that convert to sugar/fructose that you eat, the more candida thrives until it overwhelms your system.  If you don't eat things that need candida to digest it, then the bacteria does not reproduce much and goes back to a normal population.  Dairy products should be limited too until you rebalance your flora.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 02:51:34 PM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2013, 09:08:15 AM »
Fudgecake....your advice is exactly what GAPS suggests too and it's probably one of the most important factors with regard to consuming probiotics in addition to fermented, live foods....refrain from following the same daily (or weekly) protocol; keep your body guessing so it doesn't have 'expectations'.....and may heal itself, although I'm thinking this process takes much longer than we realize!

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2013, 12:20:21 PM »
Thanks Lyra. I wish you lived next door to me! At least you are blessed to have your grand children close. Sorry about your son in law. Wonder if he knows what goes around comes around!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2013, 12:20:21 PM »

Sponsored Links