This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Dry Mouth  (Read 6638 times)

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
Dry Mouth
« on: March 26, 2014, 10:09:39 AM »
Anyone have a problem with this? I've been having it, at night only, for a number of months now. I'm talking extremely dry, seems like no saliva at all. My fasting glucose level ranges from 79 to 97. I keep thinking it might be a med I'm taking, but I can't tie it to anything. It's not every night even. I've even been wondering if sea salt might be affecting it.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: Dry Mouth
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 10:26:40 AM »
Looking in one of my nutrition text books, it says that dry mouth (xerostomia) is caused by many meds like antihistamines, antihypertensive agents, antidepressants, decongestants and other meds.   Also, diabetes of course.  They also mention Sjogren's Syndrome as a cause.   Also say that radiation therapy to treat head and neck cancers damage salvary glands.  Mouth breathing is also a cause.

mosey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 10:54:34 AM »
deanna, how it the humidity where you live? Michigan may not be warm here but in the winter it is very dry. We purchased a humidifier & run it at night in the bedroom, it helps. If you are congested try Breathe Rite strips, they help with mouth breathing.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 10:56:35 AM »
Thanks Rita, I saw all that when I looked online, but nothing seemed to apply. My toothpaste is Natural Tea Tree Oil w/ baking soda & essential oil of mint...fluoride free, SLS free, gluten free. Ingredients are listed at: http://www.pipingrock.com/tea-tree-oil-products/tea-tree-oil-toothpaste-mint-flavor-39005

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 11:00:51 AM »
mosey, I'm seldom a mouth breather. I do use saline spray sometimes. We're in the south and it's not dry here. And we don't run much heat at night in the winter. And the dry mouth is not real consistent.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 12:21:31 PM »
Perhaps it is not enough water consumption.  Dry mouth is often a sign that you are thirsty.  Saline solution is a salt solution.  Could be that you are absorbing more salt that you thought and really do need more water.

Just a guess, but a glass of water or even an herbal tea helps me.  This was a long, hard, cold winter for everyone.  I am thirstier at night and need to let the water sit on my tongue to relieve the dryness sometimes.  Stress also increases your need for lubrication!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 02:10:39 PM »
I knew that would be your reply Barbara...lol. And Jan will say I need bone broth...HA! Seriously though, the dry mouth has been happening longer than the saline solution. And yep, lots of stress here!!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 02:20:38 PM »
Deanna,

Too funny!  I guess Jan and I are already marked for an expected response.  Yet, I find that water intake (sometimes flavored with an herbal tea) always relieves my dry mouth.  Sometimes it seems to be caused by using mouthwash, sometimes by drinking alcoholic beverages. I just know that
my eyes seem to be dry at the same time.  Too much computer work makes my eyes very tired. 

Suzhookem will chime in here about water too!   :)

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 03:15:07 PM »
Ah, yes, the computer. My iPad gets LOTS of my attention. Does affect my eyes, makes them burn, but shouldn't affect dry mouth. And the wine. Yep, could be the culprit except my habits have not changed. My mouth would seemingly have been dry long ago. What I was really wondering is whether sea salt has affected anyone. I've used sea salt for a long time, but not exclusively and have only been using the natural darker kind probably in the last year???

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 08:29:49 PM »
Add some Himalyan sea salt too, and an earthing tool too. Lol

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 10:23:23 PM »
Are you getting enough potassium in?

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 07:39:13 AM »
I think I figured out what it might be. I did start taking a new med several months ago. I looked it up yesterday and one of the "rare side effects" is increased saliva. The next one listed is dry mouth. Go figure.

So...no one has had any problem w/ sea salt?

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 12:31:38 PM »
Deanna, I haven't had any problems with sea salt. Some days I have 2 teaspoons with my water. Sea salt works differently in your body. Himalyan has 87 trace minerals in it that we need. Both my Drs know I'm taking it with HBP and were fine with it. Hope this helps.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 12:36:26 PM »
I use sea salt on just about everything.  No problems here.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 01:24:29 PM »
Thanks Suz & Rita, must be my med. Guess I was grasping at straws.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 02:06:33 PM »
Deanna,

It is the worry and stress of your situation that is causing problems.  You are not grasping at straws! 

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2014, 02:29:31 PM »
Deanna,
I too have dry mouth and eyes.  Who knows why but my dental hygieniest informed me that I don't currently produce the same level of saliva. My dr. suspects Sjogrens'.  I don't care for diagnosis by committee and Sjogrens' usually comes with other autoimmune problems (which I don't seem to have) so I'm ignoring it.  Can't tell you why yours is doing this but I agree with Barbara: you're not the type to grasp at straws.  I can sympathize with how uncomfortable and exasperating this is for you.  I've tried everything and not much seems to help for more than a few minutes.  I even tried the dry mouth toothpastes and mouthwashes.  Hope you find what's causing yours and soon.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 03:02:39 PM »
Thanks Barbara & Lynda, my eyes have been bothering me for some time. But I stopped wearing my glasses just over a week ago and my distance vision seems to have improved (no wheat?). I still need reading glasses for up close, but it used to be just the opposite. Since I stopped wearing my glasses, my eyes are not burning like they were either. Lynda, Sjogrens' does not sound good. I hope you don't have that. When I finish up my toothpaste, I'm gonna try Biotene...my husband uses that because he had cancer surgery a couple of years ago and they had to remove a salivary gland as well. So he has really dry mouth at night and has a hard time eating dryer foods too. He says the Biotene helps. I've also recently had some pretty major changes in some long terms meds...taken off thyroid completely...and taken off my med which regulates the heart for a-fib. They'll be checking me again for both those in about a month. So I'll see how my dry mouth is doing by then. Lynda, is yours dry daytime as well as night?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 03:04:52 PM by deanna in AR »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2014, 03:52:00 PM »
Some tidbits from Wikipedia on Saliva:

The electrolyte makeup of saliva is:

221 mmol/L sodium (lower than blood plasma)
1036 mmol/L potassium (higher than plasma)
1.22.8 mmol/L calcium (similar to plasma)
0.080.5 mmol/L magnesium
540 mmol/L chloride (lower than plasma)
25 mmol/L bicarbonate (higher than plasma)
1.439 mmol/L phosphate
Iodine (mmol/L usually higher than plasma, but dependent variable according to dietary iodine intake)

The production of saliva is stimulated both by the sympathetic nervous system and the parasympathetic.
The saliva stimulated by sympathetic innervation is thicker, and saliva stimulated parasympathetically is more watery.
Sympathetic stimulation of saliva is to facilitate respiration, whereas parasympathetic stimulation is to facilitate digestion.
Parasympathetic stimulation leads to acetylcholine (ACh) release onto the salivary acinar cells. ACh binds to muscarinic receptors, specifically M3, and causes an increased intracellular calcium ion concentration (through the IP3 /DAG second messenger system). Increased calcium causes vesicles within the cells to fuse with the apical cell membrane leading to secretion. ACh also causes the salivary gland to release kallikrein, an enzyme that converts kininogen to lysyl-bradykinin. Lysyl-bradykinin acts upons blood vessels and capillaries of the salivary gland to generate vasodilation and increased capillary permeability respectively. The resulting increased blood flow to the acini allows production of more saliva. In addition, Substance P can bind to Tachykinin NK-1 receptors leading to increased intracellular calcium concentrations and subsequently increased saliva secretion. Lastly, both parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous stimulation can lead to myoepitheilium contraction which causes the expulsion of secretions from the secretory acinus into the ducts and eventually to the oral cavity.

Sympathetic stimulation results in the release of norepinephrine. Norepinephrine binding to α-adrenergic receptors will cause an increase in intracellular calcium levels leading to more fluid vs. protein secretion. If norepinephrine binds β-adrenergic receptors, it will result in more protein or enzyme secretion vs. fluid secretion. Stimulation by norepinephrine initially decreases blood flow to the salivary glands due to constriction of blood vessels but this effect is overtaken by vasodilation caused by various local vasodilators.

Saliva production may also be pharmacologically stimulated by so-called sialagogues. It can also be suppressed by so-called antisialagogues.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 03:58:18 PM by Rita »

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2014, 11:50:23 AM »
Yes, Deanna, mine are dry all the time.  Night is especially problamatic, since there's nothing to distract me.  My biggest discomfort is my eyes.  I use OTC drops and have used the Biotene products.  I liked Biotene but always drank so much I washed away the effect!  I have no issues swallowing and begin to think my problem isn't so much dryness as thirst.  I actually produce about half the saliva as I did previously but, perhaps, I had an overproduction.  I have always liked food on the dryer side  (?)  Maybe that's why?  I'm wondering if this is tied into my poor glucose tests, somehow.  Dr and I are currently disputing this one. Further tests will be done, the only issue for disscusion is who does them.  Sjogrens is nasty but, since it's an opinion of three drs and there's no treatment, I chose not to waste my money until it complicates another problem.  My symptoms haven't worsened since I reduced all meds but thyroid, so I'm hopefull.  Mabe your's will improve with this break from the meds you're taking; I'm praying for you.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2014, 11:57:04 AM »
Lynda, my extremely dry mouth (tongue stuck to roof of mouth) is only at night. I guess I'm still not convinced about the sea salt. I've always been a heavy salt eater. I went back to sea salt this morning, used it on fried eggs and made Parmesan crisps to go along with it. I've been thirsty all morning...not dry mouth...just thirsty. Praying for you too.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2014, 12:33:25 PM »
Just read something interesting ( which make me think you may want to add a potato to your diet for the glucose )

This is from The Perfect Health Diet.

Basically, mucin is one of the key parts of tears and saliva.   Mucin is a glycoprotein, which means it's made of glucose and protein.   We have many glycoproteins in our body (which makes multicellular life possible).   It takes about 200 glucose calories per day to make these glycoproteins.   

Proteins can convert to glucose, but the book goes on to make a compelling argument that it's probably best to just add a safe starch to your diet as a source of glucose.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2014, 01:30:37 PM »
Thanks Rita, I'm planning to try that anyway. are you only using the small red potatoes...or do you use the large white bakers too?

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2014, 02:28:15 PM »
Either one.   But I personally use the red and eat the peel.  I buy the organic ones.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2014, 02:28:15 PM »

Sponsored Links