This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Food Politics  (Read 82873 times)

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
Re: Food Politics
« Reply #100 on: December 12, 2013, 09:39:28 AM »
Wow! Color me shocked that CBS Sports did that article. Hoping to see this done in colleges too. Building a great body is only part of it. Also, loved the part that explained bullet proof coffee so succinctly. Thanks for posting!

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 12, 2013, 10:30:26 AM »
That was a really good article! It sounds like he's gone grain free to me as well as sugar free. This is wonderful and yet another way of getting the message out that we've been deceived for a good many years with all the hype for high carb, low fat, processed foods, and oils. This is progress and it gets me excited. :)

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 12, 2013, 12:42:50 PM »
I agree......when you think about how much influence athletes wield, especially to younger generations, it's encouraging to see the power used to promote a positive/major shift in our dietary choices. This could be a home run for the grass-roots food movement....oops, that's baseball  ;D

That was part I of a three part series......I think Robb Wolf has posted the next (#2) on his blog......will go look.....

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 12, 2013, 01:50:38 PM »
This could be a home run for the grass-roots food movement....oops, that's baseball  ;D

Slam dunk maybe?  ;D

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 12, 2013, 02:39:41 PM »
Jan:

I think it's great that more high profile athletes are
figuring this out and letting people know.

The article was pretty good.  The only beef I have
with it is when Chris Kamen said it might cause him
to die of a heart attack.  &%^$&*($!

The CEO of Memorial Sloan Kettering also made this
type of comment in the otherwise excellent video
regarding cancer and glucose:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUlE1VHGA40

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 12, 2013, 03:27:00 PM »
Wow Bill....thanks for posting the Video! I kept waiting for him to make the leap into diet and he finally did....it's probable that's what the following speaker's topic was focused. Very encouraging.....but I can also see the wheels spinning in Big-Pharma......"How do we block that damn glucose and still let them eat bread!"

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 13, 2013, 04:53:07 AM »
An interesting side-note of the NBA article was Robb Wolf's remark whether this way of eating (and I'm lumping WB in with paleo) is to be considered a mainstream phenomena, it would require 15% of the population to comply......his best guess is that we're currently somewhere in the range of 1 to 5%.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 13, 2013, 05:48:59 AM »
Just like it was explained in Megatrends!  The more print you see on a topic, the likelier it will become mainstream or commonplace in a shorter period of time.   More and more meat, poultry and dairy products that fit with our way of clean eating are reaching the grocery shelves or are available through the internet. 

I was amazed that the low temp pasteurized, non homogenized milk I have been buying at a pricey $7-8 per gallon sells out quickly.
Stores are starting to carry grassfed buttermilk and cultured butter too.  Other products will soon be available if the demand is there.

Remember, with each percent of the population that eats the way we do, health care and auxiliary costs go down.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 11:14:59 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2014, 10:28:21 AM »
Now you can see what doctors in your area are on the take.....just write in your state.

http://projects.propublica.org/docdollars/states/15?page=2
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 11:37:14 AM by Jan in Key West »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2014, 08:10:58 PM »
I was thankful my doctor wasn't on the list.

Linda R

« Reply #111 on: January 27, 2014, 01:12:19 PM »

Linda R

« Reply #112 on: January 28, 2014, 10:11:50 AM »
Monsanto has actually slipped into 2nd place as the "Most Evil Corporation on the Planet".

The Grocery Manufacturer's Association is now #1.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/01/28/gma-evil-corporation.aspx

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 28, 2014, 01:23:36 PM »
Never even heard of the GMA before that article.   Wow.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 13, 2014, 06:26:52 AM »

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 13, 2014, 07:10:08 AM »
Wow is right!  Glad to see this!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 04, 2014, 03:34:50 AM »
The following situation happened five years ago and has since been passed around social media circles many times.....it popped up again today so I feel obliged to re-post....lest we never forget the powerful  influence of big money and it's unfortunate consequences.

http://tv.greenmedinfo.com/two-reporters-fired-for-revealing-health-dangers-in-milk/

Although the good news is that since 2009, many grocery chains including Kroger, Costco, Publix etc., as well as suppliers, have ceased to sell rBGH milk products.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 04:54:39 AM by Jan in Key West »

Silly Human

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 04, 2014, 07:03:30 AM »
Wow. Our food supply is riddled with rats.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 04, 2014, 08:12:16 AM »
Isn't that the truth!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 15, 2014, 04:32:29 AM »
If you have retirement money invested in mutual funds.....you may want to take a look at this.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ovCrpTcfF3M&feature=youtu.be

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 15, 2014, 06:45:43 AM »
I like the campaign!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 16, 2014, 10:05:26 AM »
Bless you, Vermont, and spread the word!!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 23, 2014, 06:59:28 PM »
WooHoooooo...It's going to the governor....and he's onboard! I know it's only a beginning but it's an important step.....

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/23/usa-gmo-labeling-idUSL2N0NF17W20140423

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 23, 2014, 09:17:54 PM »
I'm thinking that through osmosis we'll benefit from that right away, as manufacturers will have to change labels to keep the Vermont market open.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 24, 2014, 05:00:33 AM »
Vermont is certainly going to lead the way, but once signed, Monsanto and all their friends are poised to file suit, so it's far from over. The next hurdle will be in the organic arena, tackling the whole mutagenisis issue, which the Organic Consumers Organization has already initiated.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 02, 2014, 04:35:07 AM »
The National Organics Standards Board is meeting in Texas this week....it's beginning to look like anything labeled 'USDA organic' may be as meaningless as the word 'natural'......as if we aren't somewhat skeptical already!  It may open the door for independently certified standards by private entities.

http://action.fooddemocracynow.org/sign/take_stand_for_organic_integrity/?t=4&akid=.489095.M-8Dl2

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 02, 2014, 11:22:45 AM »
Thanks Jan.  Will spread the word.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 08, 2014, 01:54:21 PM »
YES!  Vermont's Governor just signed the new GMO labeling legislation today at 2:30 p.m.....the first (and most courageous) state to pass a no-strings GMO bill. The GMA is posturing to file suit against the state so my hope is that the American people will support Vermont's impending court battle because it is our entire country's battle too, it effects us all. A worthy and vitally important place to put your charitable dollars.
http://digital.vpr.net/post/gmo-bill-signed-lawsuit-expected-shumlin-asks-help-food-fight-fund

http://www.foodfightfundvt.org

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 08, 2014, 08:38:47 PM »
YEAH Vermont!!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 09, 2014, 08:15:17 AM »
I'm happy dancing!!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 12, 2014, 12:39:28 PM »

The California Dietetic Association's annual conference had McDonald's cater their lunch.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2014/05/my-trip-mcdonalds-sponsored-nutritionist-convention

At that meeting, the Wheat Council hosted a presentation on how gluten intolerance is a fad.

Another workshop was sponsored by the Corn Refiners Association making their case for high fructose corn syrup.

This is why you look for a holistic nutritionist instead of a registered dietician.     And unfortunately, doctors get their nutritional recommendations from RDs.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 12, 2014, 01:03:56 PM »
Lord, help us, since I'm reasonably sure no one else will!!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 12, 2014, 01:34:15 PM »
All I can even think of to say is:  CONTINUE TO WALK WITH YOUR POCKETBOOK!!!!!

I'm finding more and more people are cooking at home using fresh ingredients, not processed, packaged foods.  Big Ag companies across the board are reporting lower earnings.  Lower sales volume for fast food outlets too.  Even if the dietetic associations haven't a clue that their world has changed, they might eventually figure out that their influence is now limited and advice is being paid lip service only.   While it has been less than 3 years since Wheat Belly has been published, this grain and sugar free way of eating keeps growing.  I wonder if they were trying to make a statement by having McDonald's cater their lunch?  Can their brains really be that addled?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 03:46:45 PM by Rita »

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 13, 2014, 03:31:05 PM »
Here is an article regarding a GMO lawsuit filed in Australia that could have worldwide consequences.

http://www.ibtimes.com/australian-gmo-contamination-case-could-have-international-repercussions-1582157

LibbyMe

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 13, 2014, 05:36:41 PM »
Thanks Rita.....yeah when did this all happen????  I think Madison Ave. marketed ease into the foods that we're now finding to be unhealthy.  Watch the commercials on t.v. sometime!  My DH was in agricultural sales (Farm) for many years before retirement.  Some years back I began to do some research into "diet" and how to lose weight as I was having difficulty.  Never-mind that a few years later I found out I was insulin resistant and a few years after than the domino effect of auto-immune diseases began to be in my diagnosis.  When I'd try to speak to him about this (it still happens) he'd counter it with the information he'd been fed.
I remember back in the early 90's going to Chicago with him so he could attend an international trade show for seed growers and vendors related to the business.  He came out of a workshop where (Mansanto) spoke of how the "innovations" were going to put "antibiotics" into seeds so folks wouldn't have to get shots or medications.  Supposedly this would help with the health of the world.  At the time (I hadn't begun my reading yet) I wasn't impressed as it seemed to me that "man" was messing with what God had created.  You can bet there's deep pockets!!!  This event is held in a five-star convention center.  There is wineing and dining in restaurants you see in the movies with the words "order whatever you want"!!  This is just a tip of the iceburg but it's one that I got to see first hand.  My husband is hard-pressed to diss the industry that supported us for many years.  BUT he's very supportive of my changing our life-style of eating.  Is he on board with WB...I'd say no, because he has his 'addictions' that are unhealthy and to date doesn't see any reason he needs to change them.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 13, 2014, 09:04:40 PM »
I remember back in the early 90's going to Chicago with him so he could attend an international trade show for seed growers and vendors related to the business.  He came out of a workshop where (Mansanto) spoke of how the "innovations" were going to put "antibiotics" into seeds so folks wouldn't have to get shots or medications.

I think I would have been guilty about being "WOWed" by that in the early 90s, as I really wasn't that concerned about my food then.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2014, 06:43:53 AM »
Below is a transcript of Michelle Obama's address to the GMA (one of my biggest foes) back in 2010. Since that time, she has completely changed her focus to her 'let's move' campaign.....sadly, most likely due to political pressure from the industry.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/remarks-first-lady-a-grocery-manufacturers-association-conference

Linda R

« Reply #138 on: May 17, 2014, 07:43:23 AM »
This was brought up last night during Bill Maher's show. He had Dr. Lustig on the program, discussing the dangers of sugar, etc.

When she first began this push for healthier foods, I wondered just how much pressure she would feel and how she would handle it. It's same old, same old in Washington, isn't it?  Money talks louder than anything else. I'm sure the people representing all those powerful lobbies were "in her face" immediately. Sad......................

mosey

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2014, 08:21:00 AM »
Dr. Lustig is one of the first Dr's I have heard say on TV that a calorie is NOT Just a calorie! Finally.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 20, 2014, 06:17:19 PM »
You gotta love Vermont.....

If it isn't legible, it says, "Welcome to Vermont......Bring it on GMA".....

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 21, 2014, 01:00:27 PM »
I really hope that sign is real because I love it!!

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 22, 2014, 11:13:12 AM »
LOL! Hope you do! I think our population is dwindling.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 22, 2014, 04:56:30 PM »
Conventional "foodie" wisdom says the FDA has been trying to kill us since 1931  (or so say the posters)....so does that mean the AHA has been trying to do the same since 1924, or do you think it's one of their more recent goals?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/05/22/the-heart-association-s-junk-science-diet.html

I did post the link on their FB page.....I'll probably get audited next year! 8)

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 22, 2014, 05:09:45 PM »
Lyra,
Vermont (as a territory) was also one of the first states (or territories) to abolish slavery.....you live in a wonderland of progressive people! My hope is that the American people support your impending GMO legal fight with the GMA......because it impacts us all....I already sent my donation to your state's legal defense fund and encourage others to do as well.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 06, 2014, 12:41:33 PM »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 06, 2014, 02:57:08 PM »
Ugh  kind of reminds me of when Oprah got hit by the beef industry.   Gotta keep the masses in the dark on the realities of what is really going on with our food supply.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 07, 2014, 05:58:08 AM »
What happened to the old saying 'the exception proves the rule' ?  When did it happen that consensus means you are correct?  Gee, my english classes all said that just meant you'd agreed to agree, not that it had scientific validity.  You could also agree to disagree  but nobody does that anymore, either.  I'm sorry we put in all that time doing sit ins for free thinking, we see less of it than ever.  Good grief, I feel like we are back in the Dark Ages putting Galileo under house arrest for proving the Earth was round. Why aren't we more afraid seeing this happening?  Call me paranoid if you like but I'm seeing the modern equivalents of witch hunts and big business is laughing their butts of while they use it to make money.  Sorry, my hippy leanings are getting  away from me.  I only have one more thing to say: Go Vermont!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 07, 2014, 06:44:51 AM »
Lynda,

I see changes all over the place, just not in lots of protest groups.  Our food stores are carrying a lot more organic and wheat free products.  Someone is buying them!  All those packaged goods are always on sale now, with deep discounts, coupons etc.  Yahoo and other internet sites have constant articles about wheat free, sugar free, gluten free and so forth.  Not all of these are correct, but at least there is an increase in awareness that there really is something amiss with our food supply.  We walk with our pocketbooks.  They are getting the message!

Lots of lectures, books and blog sites accessible too.  Even my local political scene is fraught with new ideas and change.  The status quo is just flailing, bullying or just entrenching more and they are not dealing intelligently with the issues.  Rather, they stick to their old ways to keep their power and clout.  Our state and federal governments  are all on the verge of insolvency and they can't continue to play games with the way tax dollars are spent.  Any issue that surfaces is vehemently criticized by the opposing party, leaving both with little credibility.  Resorting to power plays like the traffic jam at the GW Bridge is just one of endless abuses of power instead of running the state or country in a professional, civic spirited manner.  We induce change by being responsible citizens and voting the bullies out of office.  Slow, but effective.  We have to take the time to write, call or whatever to encourage an enlightened change.

As we demand it, our medical community will change.  When we say "no" to the recommendations designed to keep us medicated, tested and constantly participating "in the system" with no change in our health condition, eventually they will start to help us heal.  Being a "billable hour" is not acceptable to me and I walk out if I am kept waiting after a half hour.  Doctors, dentists and all the other medical people and suppliers need to embrace this change to survive.  I must take responsibility for my health and make decisions.  I must demand that they become healers again.
So Lynda, each and every decision you make will support change or the status quo.  Nice to have that "power" isn't it?

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 08, 2014, 09:33:20 PM »

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #149 on: June 08, 2014, 09:33:20 PM »

Sponsored Links