This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Food Politics  (Read 82985 times)

lyra

• View Profile
Re: Food Politics
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2013, 03:44:47 AM »
Did you watch it? I haven't, since I was wary of starting it and it is almost two hours long...

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2013, 08:31:33 AM »
I did watch it.  Thought it was pretty good.

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2013, 02:07:10 PM »
Wow! Glad I watched. My sister was just diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer and me being really mad at my government, it was a must watch. I support y'all that are acquiring degrees so you can speak for us. My sister doesn't want any help from me. Ever since I told her she might consider not eating wheat or a pound of candy a night ~ I'm too extreme for her! 😞 I'm so thankful for this forum.

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2013, 03:02:28 PM »
Sometimes your family is the hardest group
to convince.  My sister was just diagnosed
T1D, though all indications over the years
showed she was there all along.

Can't even bring up the subject without
her flying off the handle.

...le sigh...

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2013, 06:42:09 PM »
Wow! Glad I watched. My sister was just diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer and me being really mad at my government, it was a must watch.

Sorry to hear that your sister has to go through that.

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2013, 08:54:58 PM »
Sorry.  Correction:  She has T2D.

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2013, 10:11:53 PM »
It's a shame she won't even consider it bill. My blood sugar levels dropped right down into normal range within days of going wheat/grain free and they've stayed there. I hope for her sake that she'll reconsider this option one day.

My neighbor has T2D and is a large woman. She asked what I was doing to lose so much weight so I shared the whole process with her. Not only the weight loss, but also how much better I'm feeling in general. She was very excited about it, shared it with her dh, and just reported back to me that he didn't want to do it, so she can't either.

le sigh indeed. I wish she felt she could go it alone. Maybe someday.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2013, 02:15:49 PM »
I highly recommend reading "The Vegetarian Myth" by Lierre Keith....."part memoir, part nutritional primer, and part political manifesto...it will challenge everything you thought you knew about food politics". Had Dr. D published his book sooner, there is little doubt he would have been showcased as well....it's right up his alley!

Linda R

« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2013, 12:50:46 PM »
The little hidden secrets are farm subsidies, under the USDA. If farmers of wheat/grain/and sugar beets were forced to charge what their product's actual costs are, the general public would soon eat less.  If ranchers, and ultimately feedlots and packing plants, had to pay the actual cost of grain to fatten up those cows/pigs/and chicken for market (without the subsidies to farmers of grain) - we'd soon find a whole bunch grass fed.  Healthier for the consumer, and possibly, cheaper for the consumer.  It all ends up with the American taxpayer footing the bill for some to make money and some, the consumer, to become hideously ill.

An excellent article that explains quite clearly why the Farm Bill is a joke and why it ain't going away anytime soon, sadly!

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/07/27/us-farm-subsidies.aspx

HungryinTN

« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2013, 02:46:58 PM »
I remember one of the news programs doing a special on this a few years back and being intrigued by it.  As an economic historian with a nutrition fetish I am even more interested in it now than I was then.  I hope that the problems with farm subsidies continue to garner attention from media outlets.  So much land is wasted that could be used to grow green veggies and healthy cows!  I think about my mom reading Diet for a Small Planet and myriad pamphlets and leaflets in the 1970s that wagged fingers at the meat industry.  Little did we know that the meat industry was merely an accomplice to big ag! 

Linda R

« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2013, 10:47:43 AM »
This subject has been rattling around in my brain as of late............

Is cheap food really all that cheap?

I have a cyber friend who creates and posts awesome low carb recipes. She also has had to deal with extremely serious health issues in her family and, I assume, is still paying off large medical expenses. Needless to say, she is always watching for food bargains at the store, uses coupons constantly, buys in bulk, etc.

She recently started blogging about her shopping trips and the good bargains she finds. 

But is she really doing herself and her family a disservice?

She has raved about $.99 a pound hamburger.
A few years ago, I would have grabbed that as well. Today?  No way. Where did that meat really come from and what is really in that package?  Pink slime?

Here are further thoughts on the subject.

http://gopaleo.com/blog/2013/07/15/5-reasons-cheap-food-bargain.html

« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 10:51:38 AM by Linda R »

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2013, 03:46:20 AM »
I highly recommend reading "The Vegetarian Myth" by Lierre Keith....."part memoir, part nutritional primer, and part political manifesto...it will challenge everything you thought you knew about food politics". Had Dr. D published his book sooner, there is little doubt he would have been showcased as well....it's right up his alley!

I am going to read it. sounds excellent.

HS4

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2013, 09:56:07 PM »
Rita - link goes to a private video which I cannot view, even with Vimeo basic account log in

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2013, 11:30:44 AM »

Rita - link goes to a private video which I cannot view, even with Vimeo basic account log in

They only had it up temporarily.     

Here's a different video:

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2013, 04:09:35 PM »
Just watched the whole video. Worth every minute. But man did it make me angry. All this suffering when there are cures all over the place and have been for years. But how does one fight something so large and well funded? By educating ourselves one by one I guess. And continuing to spread the word that there are alternative ways of thinking and living. That was just so frustrating to watch. But also, somewhat encouraging in a way. Maybe some day someone will figure out how to break the backs of big pharma and the ama.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2013, 06:13:10 AM »
Glad to see someone finally addressing the potential downside of owning Monsanto stock....at leastt it's a start.

http://gmoinside.org/monsanto-stock-in-danger-investor-warns/
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 08:58:56 AM by Rita »

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2013, 03:40:35 PM »
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 06:56:59 PM by Rita »

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2013, 09:39:14 AM »
Interesting re Smuckers...

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2013, 09:58:56 AM »
Very interesting...

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2013, 09:17:08 AM »
So check this chart out.  It's illegal to give nutritional advice in these states:

http://www.nutritionadvocacy.org   

Only registered dietitians ( you know... the organization that is funded by the processed food industry and is in charge of registering dietitians ) that are allowed to practice.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 04:31:53 PM by Rita »

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2013, 11:30:51 AM »
That's a bit scary; to have nobody allowed to tell the other side of the story.  Rita, I'm glad you are getting trained, we need one person out there with sense.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2013, 08:51:09 PM »
You've probably heard of the Chris Beat Cancer site, and how Chris overcame cancer through nutrition.

Anyhow, he has an interesting video on why he won't do race for the cure:

Linda R

« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2013, 01:19:40 PM »
Excellent!

I had heard that the enthusiasm over this charity was waning and this video explains it quite well. Needless to say, a Walk/Run For the Cure is carried on every year here in the Des Moines area, but I had heard participation has dropped quite a bit. The word is getting out!

Sometimes I don't know which org. i am more disgusted with everyday - Big Ag, Big Pharma, etc.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2013, 03:16:16 PM »
Thanks for posting Rita! My neighbor in Indiana had breast cancer 6 years ago and after her recovery, she traveled & participated in the Susan G. Komen walk every year since and I was always a strong supporter of her venture. That is, until they pulled the PP fiasco (I used to be a volunteer there), spent millions on lawsuits against small charities using the name "cure"  in their verbiage, and began spending less than 20% of yearly funds for research to find said CURE....While I know there are many worthy national charities, I now give my charitable dollars on a more local level.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2013, 03:26:57 PM »
Dr. D posted on his FB page today an article about the British Federation of Baker's new campaign that created give-away samples of a cologne, "Eau de Toast" to remind us of this necessary daily bread.....wonder if it's gluten free?  ;)

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2013, 03:32:29 PM »
O--M--G!

Linda R

« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2013, 09:11:42 AM »
Ha!
BigAg is not happy with Chipotle.......................................

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/chipotle-scarecrow-ad-integrity-agriculture-97763.html

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2013, 09:55:52 AM »
Ha!BigAg is not happy with Chipotle.......................................http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/chipotle-scarecrow-ad-integrity-agriculture-97763.html

lol-  I suppose that did ruffle feathers!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2013, 09:58:20 AM »
Good article, Linda R.  Has anyone noticed the same mantra I have?  The 'feeding the world' part?  It's like they are trying to shame us into better behavior.  It's manipulative and usually is used for something you should not be doing anyway.  Personally, I feel each area should work very hard to feed themselves because they are in serious trouble if the the guy feeding them quits for any reason.  Hmm, I'm thinking of Chipotle for dinner now!

Linda R

« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2013, 11:57:47 AM »
Good article, Linda R.  Has anyone noticed the same mantra I have?  The 'feeding the world' part?  It's like they are trying to shame us into better behavior.  It's manipulative and usually is used for something you should not be doing anyway.  Personally, I feel each area should work very hard to feed themselves because they are in serious trouble if the the guy feeding them quits for any reason.  Hmm, I'm thinking of Chipotle for dinner now!

Yes, and here in Iowa, I am really tired of the praise being heaped on Norman Borlaug. He's been given just about every medal and statuette available for developing "semi-dwarf, high-yield, disease-resistant wheat varieties."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Borlaug

AFAIC, he simply spread that damned poison far and wide.
And, if he was so damned smart, why wasn't it tested more on human beings?

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2013, 02:17:24 PM »
Amen, Linda.  So, that's the guy we get to thank?  I wonder if he is going to be like the atom bomb man and be sorry he did it at the end of his life?  Probably not, after all, it's food, right?

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2013, 05:30:53 PM »
I would rather laud this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludwig_Haberlandt

Let's stop creating more demand so we don't
have to increase the supply.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2013, 06:31:15 PM »
Bill....Touche'

Linda R

« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2013, 07:24:35 AM »
More reasons to leave that supermarket chicken on the shelf..................

http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_28408.cfm

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2013, 08:50:50 AM »
It's disturbing to add this news to the new wave to 'not rinse the chicken'.  Shouldn't we be encouraging 'cleaning the kitchen' properly? Another treat the symptom and ignore the process.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2013, 07:09:21 AM »
Looks like there are a few registered dietitians that are tired of the processed food industry controlling registered dietitians:

http://www.change.org/IntegrityRDs

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2013, 06:08:25 AM »
In light of the fact that it's 'Breast Cancer Awareness' month, and if you, like me, are skeptical of exactly how your charitable dollars are being spent with many of the national chain-charities, (where I suspect the majority of research dollars end up directly in the pockets of big pharma), the link below might be an option......plus it's right up our alley!

This research combines the ketogenic diet with hyperbaric oxygen therapy and is in collaboration with Dr. Seyfried....

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2013-06/uosf-nct060313.php
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 08:09:05 AM by Rita »

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2013, 10:10:35 AM »
I'm really glad to see diaticians speaking out.  Having regular folks complaining gets written off as just that 'complaining'.

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2013, 10:20:51 AM »
Good. For. Andy!!! I love his  message and he's so right. Junk food companies do NOT belong sponsoring or contributing in any way to the fight for good health. I hope others come on board with him.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 06, 2013, 09:42:17 AM »
NBC news reported today that the Kellogg Co. will cut 7% of their workforce by 2017 after reporting another quarterly decline in earnings. (Although their stock was up today??) I'd like to hope this is related to a major shift in the grand design of our diets and in response to the small, but expanding 'real' food movement. While job losses are never advantageous to our economy, if we transition to a different dietary paradigm, new jobs will be created.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 06, 2013, 10:39:24 AM »
That's exactly true Jan.

And you know, I've always been an entrepreneur.   My nutritional schooling will take 2 years, but I'm really open for the universe to show me a gratifying business that I can start in this new 'dietary paradigm' as you say..   I'm thinking about starting some sort of service that make it easier for people to change their lifestyles.  Because, let's face it, people are busy, and people don't know how to cook anymore.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 03:45:37 PM by Rita »

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 06, 2013, 02:09:10 PM »
I hope you do, Rita.  The world can sure use the straight talk.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2013, 09:05:05 AM »
Looks like a lawsuit might have been the impetus behind the FDA's change of heart over trans fats......

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/11/20/trans-fats-hydrogenated-oil.aspx[size=78%]  [/size]
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 09:09:31 AM by Jan in Key West »

VibeRadiant

« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2013, 02:50:05 PM »
While job losses are never advantageous to our economy, if we transition to a different dietary paradigm, new jobs will be created.

There are people employed in the illegal drug business but I wouldn't feel badly if they lost their jobs.
Poison is poison. IMHO.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2013, 03:01:59 PM »
I love that it's a 99 year old heart disease researcher of 60 years that is suing the FDA.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 09, 2013, 03:08:36 PM »
Yeh, I wouldn't care if the pharmaceutical companies lost their jobs either.... ;) !

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2013, 05:20:18 PM »
Me too Rita.....it's poetic justice!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 10, 2013, 08:15:10 AM »
Me, too, Rita.  What a great person that old man must be.  I hope he wins, I'd love to see hydrogenated fats banished forever. 

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2013, 01:51:50 PM »
While it's not exactly WB....there is a nutritional shift among some in the NBA.....

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken-berger/24370416

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2013, 02:12:34 PM »
Jan,

Thank you for posting.  Excellent article.  Well written without any slogans or hype.  All the issues we discuss here are discussed there.  No mention of wheat or other grains at all! Grass fed humanely raised animals for our food!  It will be rather interesting to see if these players actually play better.  Big plus for our way of eating!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 02:23:32 PM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2013, 02:12:34 PM »

Sponsored Links