This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Food Politics  (Read 86384 times)

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
Re: Food Politics
« Reply #150 on: June 09, 2014, 07:49:09 AM »
Fascinating, Jan.  Do these people not have enough to do?  Next we will throw out the cheese because it has microbes!!!  Have we actually had anyone get cheese poisoning, that wasn't an allergy?  I thought bacteria was the whole point of cheese. ( When they ban probiotics for having bacteria, I'll give up.)  On a purely sensual level, won't that really destroy the flavor?  Rather like taking the fond out of gravy? 

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 13, 2014, 05:04:11 AM »
Well.....Big Food filed their lawsuit yesterday....I guess the food fight is on....

http://www.reformer.com/state/ci_25951449/vermont-sued-over-gmo-law

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 13, 2014, 05:36:38 AM »
Jan,

The legal argument is that:

1. it will "cost too much",
        2. Vermont doesn't have much agricultural industry that will be affected,
        3. Creates a "patchwork of labeling" that will be an impossible burden for food companies to follow.

If this is the best their high priced legal minds can conjure up, then it is a rather pathetic attempt (in my opinion) to over turn this law.  If they refuse to label, then you wonder what they are hiding.  Why would I buy the products that these companies refuse to label that the genetic makeup has been altered? 

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 13, 2014, 11:00:55 AM »
It looks like the thrust of the GMA (&friends) lawsuit is that the constitution prohibits any state from interfering with any regulations that facilitate interstate commerce....which is the sole province of the federal government.

Linda R

« Reply #154 on: June 13, 2014, 02:51:27 PM »
It appears that the huge pork producers are actually listening to the consumer and making changes in the way hogs are being raised.

"The sows here at Cargill’s sprawling hog complex mill about in pens, snorting and jostling. Some just flop on the concrete floor to rest. It’s not Club Pig, but at least the ­animals get some room.

The move to group sow housing by Cargill and other U.S. pork firms reflects an important shift in thinking about animal welfare, from consumers to large food ­corporations. Consumers are increasingly interested in how their food is produced — including how animals are treated — while animal rights groups have ratcheted up pressure on the food industry."

http://www.startribune.com/business/262257761.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 13, 2014, 03:47:56 PM »
Hi Everyone,

This is just a friendly reminder to keep this food politics topic related to food.   I know that it's easy to get other political issues in the mix.

The rule is no politics (except as it relates to food politics)  and no religion....   

Thanks everyone!!  :)

Rita

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 13, 2014, 05:16:15 PM »
Ok....I signed...I guess now I'm an official boycotter....wow, at my age too! Glad my little market opened, since she's not a member of GMA.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/05/27/gma-monsanto-gmo-labeling.aspx?x_cid=20140613_ranart1_facebookdoc

Linda R

« Reply #157 on: June 13, 2014, 05:27:49 PM »
I signed as well.
It looks as though the only brand I will be avoiding is Smucker's. No big deal. I do use their sugar free stuff occasionally.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 13, 2014, 08:29:24 PM »
Rita,
 Now I'm confused....are we no longer allowed to talk about the GMO issue....Or anything else? Please explain.....

Linda R

« Reply #159 on: June 14, 2014, 06:34:49 AM »
Rita,
 Now I'm confused....are we no longer allowed to talk about the GMO issue....Or anything else? Please explain.....

Color me confused as well.
What about climate change?
Or Norman Borlaug?
Or animal abuse?
These topics are all directly or indirectly related to food.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 14, 2014, 09:37:08 AM »
GMOs are definitely something we should discuss.   Anything related to food and health is fair game.

I would just ask everyone to refrain from religion, and politics that are unrelated to food/health.   

This country is very divided politically, and liberals and conservatives often don't communicate.  But we're lucky in this forum, that we do have a common thread which is food/health, and together we can as both liberals and conservatives work to make change.  We probably should keep 'democrats' and 'republicans' out of the conversation, and instead use verbage that doesn't divide us.

So I think as we post, we need to think about the fact that we have conservative and liberal members.  We also have religious and non-religious members.  We should make an effort to discuss these issues in a way that brings about community and togetherness.

Does that sound fair?

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 14, 2014, 11:05:30 AM »
Rita,

Excellent idea.  Thank you!

I personally do care about grain and sugar free living, the new research and ideas of good nutrition and the recipes and gadgets to enhance this life style.Tell me about your experience with a suitable , prepared, new-to-the-market food and I'm happy.  Ditto for a gadget which will make food preparation easier.  A new recipe or even a new way of preparing a food item brings a smile to my face!

I really don't care about your race, religion or politics, age, sex or lifestyle.  The recommendations, foods, recipes and experiences with vitamins/herbs. etc. written on this blog have been invaluable to me.  We all have something to contribute without making personal judgements about each other.  There isn't any "right" or "wrong" way to eat properly, what works for you is important as variations and new information about this grain and sugar free way of eating keep happening .  We just share our experiences, try new ways and hope for a good healthy recovery from years of SAD. Everyone, please continue to blog about these experiences.  Save your political or religious thoughts for another blog site.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 15, 2014, 05:40:25 PM »

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 15, 2014, 09:47:21 PM »
Because the GMA initiated the lawsuit in Vermont and because I feel strongly about the issue, I signed a petition to boycott any business who belongs to the GMA....that includes Publix (in the south) and Kroger's (in the north) CVS and Walgreens, Walmart, Whole Foods, etc.....they're all listed somewhere.  I did write them, explaining that the reason why I was no longer buying was because they were members of the GMA. So now I'm buying from Amazon Prime....my husband thinks that we're just feeding a different monster...but my answer is that, at least, we're not feeding the GMA.....Amazon is not a member of the GMA.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 16, 2014, 05:28:40 AM »
Jan,

Stores are reporting lower sales as people are flocking to farmer's markets, coops, farms and similar places for their purchases.  There has been a fair amount of press about this.  You bet the stores are noticing!  They are trying all kinds of gimmicks to get you to spend your food dollars with them.  They will carry and sell foods labeled non-gmo if that is what sells.  They are the middlemen.  The companies that produce/package the GMO foods will lose sales while those with clearly marked packaging  of non-GMO will increase sales. 

Yes, you are feeding a different monster in the short term.  A more people demand non-GMO foods, the industry will make these items readily available to enhance their bottom line. 

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 16, 2014, 04:50:15 PM »
Here's an excellent recap of how GMO's fraudulently slithered into our food stream....Hope The Alliance for Bio-Integrity gets involved in the Vermont lawsuit.

http://illinoisrighttoknowgmo.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Why-FDA-Policy-on-GE-Foods-is-Fraudulent-and-Illegal.pdf

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 17, 2014, 07:45:07 PM »
2 FOX news reporters fired for reporting on the link between growth hormone in milk and cancer:
https://www.minds.com/blog/view/43822/two-reporters-fired-by-fox-news-for-revealing-health-dangers-in-milk

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 18, 2014, 03:26:16 PM »
New Ben & Jerry's ice cream flavor in honor of Vermont....Food Fight! ;)

http://wisemindhealthybody.com/ben-jerrys-gmo-food-fight/?c=jer

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 19, 2014, 08:54:41 AM »
Good for them, hope we see more companies do this in the near future.  For now, my next ice cream will be B & J.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 25, 2014, 06:00:42 AM »
Great news.......Seralini's study has been republished!!

http://gmoinside.org/republication-seralini-study-science-speaks-gmo-seralini/

Jan in Key West

• View Profile

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 29, 2014, 04:41:43 AM »
Jan,

This will enable insurance payment for professionals who don't cater to Big Ag.   ;D   Wonderful news.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 10, 2014, 06:02:32 AM »
A new movie released....."The hidden story behind Vaccines, Big Pharma & Your Food".... Here's the trailer....

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/page/bought-hidden-story-behind-vaccines-big-pharma-your-food

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 10, 2014, 06:54:27 AM »
Excellent!!!  The truths behind so much of our medicine today are finally becoming mainstream.  Follow the money.  We let ourselves be seduced and the result is a fat, sickly population.  Doctors used to be healers.  Now they are technicians with a prescription pad.  Healing is secondary to maintenance programs.  Reports coming out now are showing that even the shingles vaccine is minimally beneficial. 

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 10, 2014, 08:03:56 AM »
Yes! I'm tagging on to this thread because the subject relates......kind of long but worthy of passing on to the uninformed.....Dr. D posted this today on his FB page.

http://www.thebubblebubble.com/healthcare-bubble/

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 10, 2014, 08:55:40 AM »
The "health care cost trend outpacing GNP" thing means the net trend is unsustainable. Some trigger will eventually change it.

Until recently, I would have said that the trigger would be the general public figuring out how to reduce their need for medical care by 80%, via diet and lifestyle adjustments. This would be a gradual correction.

But at the moment, total system collapse is more likely. As soon as the first US health care worker gets infected by ebola on the job, a critical mass of them will stay home, and the fragile house of cards will implode. Airline workers in NJ are already striking over the risk (although in their case, it might have been just an excuse for a strike already planned).

Ignore the "no problem" and "under control" and "no flight ban needed" hand waving by public officials, who a few weeks ago were telling us an uncontrolled ebola case would never appear here. It has.

Follow the actual events and numbers. Nothing is preventing more pre-symptomatic infected from flying here. Most of the incidents here are going to be false alarms (astonishingly expensive false alarms). Unless dramatic steps are taken, re-transmissions will occur, as has happened in Spain, due apparently to a minor PPE error by a nurse - avoiding infection requires extensive expensive equipment and extraordinary discipline - this is a really dangerous virus.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 10, 2014, 09:06:20 AM »
Jan,

This bubble business is right on!  The first resort when you don't feel well is to go to a doctor.  This doctor will then have you go for "tests" followed by a bunch of prescriptions to help you get over the ailment you are complaining about.  Never a thought is given to actually finding the cause of your problem which is so very unique that the doctors mostly can't even figure out what to call "it."  IT is given a generic name and an ever changing list of more pills to take that don't help and probably make you worse over time.

Finally enough of us are rebelling and disagreeing with the costly care we are given.  I recently cut my hand below my thumb joint in a kitchen knife accident. [size=78%]Went to the hospital ER because it was a holiday.  The cut was fairly superficial and bled profusely.  I cleaned and wrapped it to stop the bleeding, but needed to be driven  because the hand had to be raised above my heart.  I could move my thumb without a problem or pain.  I had 2 sets of 6 stitches to close the skin where the knife went in and came out.  The doctor wanted a tetanus shot, anti-biotic shot + pills, x-ray, and another  kind of scan, just to make sure she said.  By the way, my blood pressure was too high and I need to see a doctor about this because I probably need medication.  I refused everything but would allow an antibiotic wash and pills.  The fact that I was using a clean knife in my own kitchen to cut frozen food rather than being outside in dirt didn't matter.  Cat gut stitches were used so I would have to come back to have them removed instead of using the dissolving ones with no or minimal followup care.  This way I had to return to have the stitches taken out.   When I did, there wasn't any sign of infection and the wound had healed well.  More antibiotics prescribed.  Physical therapy prescribed.  Huh?  There wasn't any loss of use of thumb or hand.  I was asked which blood pressure medication I was given and who prescribed it because my bp was normal![/size]

Bottom line is that this cut needing 12 stitches had billings of $2000 even with declining all the extras they were trying to scare me into using.  The ER Doctor was astounded that I said "NO!"  and didn't fall for the scare tactics.   To me, this is a glaring example of a a health care system that is spiraling out of control and unsustainable.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 10, 2014, 01:28:37 PM »
Sounds like some version of a Vaudeville act.  All that 'stuff' just to protect themselves.  I can understand why your BP was up!  I hope the thumb is better.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 10, 2014, 02:31:38 PM »

Lynda,

It definitely is a vaudeville act.  Like Linda R says "it is a disease management system" and since I didn't have a disease, they added on as much as they
could to the tab whether I needed it or not.  The cut was only 1 " long in both places, clean and obviously not deep enough to have cut muscles.  Had it not been a holiday, I would have just gone to a doctor's office for stitches. 

I really hope that there is a revolution in medicine.  The current system is unsustainable and unaffordable.   Just like we are all reading this blog and changing our diets, maybe some of our smart health care providers will actually begin to understand how the SAD touted by our government and Big Business needs to be changed and start recommending this like Dr. Davis did.  So sorry Nabisco, I don't buy your cookies anymore.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 13, 2014, 06:49:52 AM »
Along the lines of Barbara's ER incident.....we had a young pregnant friend (up north) three weeks from delivery, husband out of town on business trip, who, during the evening hours, started experiencing difficulty breathing. Fearing she might be getting that weird respiratory flu going around, she went to the ER. After several hours and $8,000 in tests, labs etc. they released her without any diagnosis, other than she did not have the flu. On a hunch, the next morning she called her chiropractor, who found that  her breech baby's head was pressing on her diaphragm.....after an adjustment, she was fine.....cost $45.

In the Keys, we've had an increase in doctors doing house calls over the past five years....Could become a less expensive trend.
http://keysnews.com/node/48652

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 13, 2014, 06:59:25 AM »
Boundless's prediction regarding Ebola infecting health care workers has happened.....

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-ebola-positive-20141012-story.html#page=1

healthseeker2014

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 14, 2014, 12:08:23 PM »
big corporations like monsanto and wheat industry have too much power.  accusation on monsanto's bribery of the government is a serious matter in terms of sickening general public.

some claims on bush senior having agreed to wave requirement for government eval on monsanto's gmo. ever since they had the authority to check their own stuff and not informed the public.  and only to hire powerful figures to argue on their behalf when challenged on the health concerns of their products.

seems corps like monsanto just care about raking in as much money as possible by whatever means possible, and they became so rich , heck they can buy the gov.  even if they burn the world, heck they don't care. and the gov don't care cuz they are in their pockets. seriously bad signs here... :-\

as for the wheat industry, heard they messed around with the wheat with harmful chemicals and radiaiton all for the goal of increased yields.  and it is a surprise people get sickened from this mutant crap?  dr davis already pointed it out.

seriously the US gov is broken.  when certain organizations are above the law and gov is in league with them, serious trouble can be expected. 

i'm not sure what the solution is, maybe we need to reform this corrupt-assed gov.  rat studies been reported that babies keep getting smaller and couple generation down the road, they became so sterile they couldn't make babies no more. how long do humans have? ::)

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 14, 2014, 12:18:18 PM »
I happen to agree with Boundless about Ebola spread.  Having learned sterile technique, my gut instinct is that this disease is easy to spread, especially in the latter stages.  Hopefully, our government gets busy on containment.  I am watching to see if the blood transfer from the recovered doctor will transfer some antibody relief to the new patient.  That would be a tough way to cure but more hopeful than what we have at present.

MissMel

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 14, 2014, 10:10:29 PM »
I was just reading that Phase I testing has begun this week for an Ebola vaccine on 40 healthy volunteers in Maryland at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research.  Proud to say that this vaccine was developed by the Canadian National Microbiology Lab in my city (Winnipeg). 

I used to joke that it didn't make me nervous knowing that the world's deadliest viruses are housed at the lab in my city, it's too cold for anything to survive here.

Let's hope this vaccine is successful!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 15, 2014, 05:13:48 AM »
This may turn out to be a defense technique against Ebola....

http://www.xenex.com/superbugs-xenex-germ-zapping-robots-taking-ebola-many-dangers/

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 21, 2014, 03:29:53 PM »
This isn't about politics....but this young congressman from Ohio, Tim Ryan, may (hopefully) be an emerging voice of a different future. I've been following him for awhile and was impressed that he began each day with meditation.....now he's written a book.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u2y40WmWcAU

Linda R

« Reply #186 on: October 21, 2014, 04:54:52 PM »
I like the direction he is taking. Kind of ties in with my most recent post, an article written by Nick Wallace, Wallace Farms, here in Iowa.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 22, 2014, 05:44:54 AM »
Yippee!!!!

Megatrends at work!!!  I promise you that there will be more of this issue being discussed publicly.  Kudos to Tim Ryan!!!!  I've even read that more states are beginning to allow raw milk products to be sold.  This is only the beginning…….

In the two years I have been following a grain and sugar free diet, I've noticed that stores have a greater variety of organic produce at more competitive prices, grassfed beef is available at supermarkets, fish is labeled "farmed, wild caught, pre frozen",  free range poultry and eggs are on supermarket shelves as well.  Lots of new cookbooks and online recipes have been published for our way of cooking.  I'm especially amazed at the new ways to cook/spice vegetables.  For example, turnips or brussels sprouts were hardly ever cooked.  Now, I'm delighted when I find them freshly picked. 

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 22, 2014, 05:57:49 AM »
Here's another Ryan clip I archived.....is this guy cool or what???

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ohio-congressmans-meditation-crusade/

scrupulousgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 22, 2014, 06:47:41 AM »
Here's another Ryan clip I archived.....is this guy cool or what???

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ohio-congressmans-meditation-crusade/

Jan,

Thank you for posting this! I took my 1st Yoga class about a month ago and was surprised that I could keep up with the class as well as I did. I was so pleased with the way I felt afterwards, but definitely know it would be much easier to do some of the poses if I could lose the gut. I am thankful for taking my Ginger capsules because that has definitely helped with my balance! I could never have done that class a year ago. I do want to try again!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 22, 2014, 08:35:15 AM »
Bailey, that's terrific! My favorite classes to teach (and the most rewarding) are those with students who have a variety of challenges and diverse levels of ability.....the 'aha' moments of awareness are more prevalent. When one finds some resistance in the body, often it translates into some resistance in one's life. It's a personal journey of self-exploration and enlightenment. I have a poster that says, "Yoga is not about touching your toes, it is what you learn on the way down."

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 27, 2014, 05:41:52 AM »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 27, 2014, 12:18:19 PM »
And now the GMO company (Syngenta) gets the go-ahead to sue Bunge Foods for refusing to buy the GMO corn:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/appeals-court-revives-syngenta-bunge-gmo-lawsuit-26330642

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 04, 2014, 02:36:43 PM »

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 04, 2014, 03:42:04 PM »
The more I read about this, the more I think that this all boils down to one thing: MONEY, which speaks a lot.

I'm not going to apologize for saying that. It's true everywhere: government, politics, companies, etc. We have free will, and we don't have to do what these outfits tell us about our foods. Most of the time, I don't even believe what they spout out at us, for instance the food pyramid. You can't tell me that money doesn't have a say in the food pyramid.

Nuts to that. So glad that someone like Dr. Davis & others have brought us to our senses! There's also a lot of just plain common sense here to say the least. The less adulterated our food is, the better for us.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 11, 2014, 04:24:54 PM »

Jan in Key West

• View Profile

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 15, 2014, 12:43:17 PM »
I'd love to see them do research over a longer time period but the rats don't live that long.  It's a shame we can't safely test chemicals, etc, at human life spans without using humans.  I suspect we would see a progressive deterioration approaching the extreme lengths, just as we've seen in people the last fifty years.  A scientist should preserve some blood/tissue samples to cross check in twenty to thirty years. I wonder if that would work? I'll be very interested to see what they determine; at least, they are beginning the research we need to see.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 19, 2014, 04:33:28 PM »
So this month Neil Young twittered that he was boycotting Starbucks due to their involvement with GMA (and their lawsuit against Vermont) and enough people must have stopped buying their morning coffee because the coffee giant issued a public statement (it might not necessarily have been what we wanted to hear but at least the impact was enough that they felt they needed to respond!).....today the following Utube video hit social media attacking major athletes for promoting junk food. The food movement is moving right along.....https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0fbiBfJf7HY&feature=youtu.be
Will be interesting to see the outcome....especially being a Payton fan!

Petitions must have some positive effect.....https://2012thebigpicture.wordpress.com/2013/09/08/victory-dr-weil-quits-grocery-manufacturers-association/

Linda R

« Reply #199 on: November 20, 2014, 06:55:05 AM »
So this month Neil Young twittered that he was boycotting Starbucks due to their involvement with GMA (and their lawsuit against Vermont) and enough people must have stopped buying their morning coffee because the coffee giant issued a public statement (it might not necessarily have been what we wanted to hear but at least the impact was enough that they felt they needed to respond!).....today the following Utube video hit social media attacking major athletes for promoting junk food. The food movement is moving right along.....https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0fbiBfJf7HY&feature=youtu.be
Will be interesting to see the outcome....especially being a Payton fan!

Petitions must have some positive effect.....https://2012thebigpicture.wordpress.com/2013/09/08/victory-dr-weil-quits-grocery-manufacturers-association/

Absolutely!  Big Payton fan here as well.
His pizza ads are quite cute, but I really wish he'd find another sponsor, a healthier sponsor.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #199 on: November 20, 2014, 06:55:05 AM »

Sponsored Links