This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Carbonated water and bowel flora  (Read 3069 times)

tpbeebejr

• View Profile
Carbonated water and bowel flora
« on: March 28, 2014, 03:54:12 PM »
I love carbonated water (not sweetened, just carbonated) like San Pellegrino, etc. I drink about 2 liters (about 68 ounces), often more, every day. I got tired of paying so much for Pellegrino, so then I tried the Soda Stream system, using only their carbon dioxide (CO2) bottles and not the various sugar/flavor packages. Then I got tired of paying $20 for a new CO2 bottle every 2 weeks. So I set up my own home system with a lifetime supply of CO2, which uses used 2-liter plastic beverage bottles, and a few items that can be bought on ebay. The whole thing cost less than $100, and it is literally a lifetime supply of CO2. The tank pressure hasn't budged from about 700 psi in 2 years of daily use.

I am asking about carbonated water because of the chapter in Dr. Davis's WB book in which he talks about the negative effects of acidic drinks. I am wondering if there is a consensus here on simple  carbonated water (no sweeteners - just water with dissolved CO2), since the pH can be around 3. A pH of 3 might seem quite acidic compared to water's neutral pH value of 7.0, but consider the fact that the pH of gastric (stomach) acid can be around 1, and the pH of the stomach's contents can vary from 1 to 5, depending on what is being digested, how long it has been digested, and how much buffering the stomach has produced in response to the digestion process.

Regarding the effect of carbonated water on teeth, I found the following: (http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/07/31/carbonated-water-not-bad-you)

According to a 2001 study published in the Journal of Oral Rehabilitation, “sparkling mineral waters showed slightly greater dissolution than still waters, but levels remained low and were of the order of one hundred times less than the comparator soft drinks.”

I am curious about our members' opinions about carbonated water, mostly from the perspective of practitioners of the WB lifestyle. Is there some evidence that it negatively alters our bowel flora?

It used to be thought that carbonated water was helpful for digestion (selzers). As a scientist, it seems fairly unlikely to me that drinking carbonated water at a pH of 3 will have a significant negative impact on the pH of one's stomach, given the natural buffering capacity of the stomach and its ability to deal with the buffering of acids that are 10x (pH 2) and 100x (pH 1) more concentrated. What is the consensus here?
Thanks,
Thanks,
Tom (tpbeebejr)
Wheat-free since 15 Jan 2014

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: Carbonated water and bowel flora
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 08:15:17 PM »
Interesting question.

I know that to detect Small Instestinal Bacterial Overgrowth ( SIBO ), that they do breath tests.   Here's a list of some of the breath tests that are done:
http://www.siboinfo.com/testing1.html

Not sure how CO2 might play in.  Good question though.  I never thought about it before, but CO2 is a waste product when we make ATP, so why are we putting it back into our body?

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 08:26:07 PM »
On a different note, have you ever had kumbacha before?  That's got a nice kick to it like carbonated water, and you're adding good bacteria.

And Chris Kresser has a good article on the PH myth:  http://chriskresser.com/the-ph-myth-part-1

« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 08:27:40 PM by Rita »

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 08:26:07 PM »

Sponsored Links