This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: The cows have heard the news...  (Read 2868 times)

HungryinTN

The cows have heard the news...
« on: April 02, 2014, 08:49:03 AM »
I went out to do field work yesterday, hunting down historic cemeteries on private property.  Many of these cemeteries are in cow fields, so when I'm doing field work, I am usually tromping through herds of cows.  I've never really thought much about it.  They generally don't take notice.  But yesterday was different.  We went to this one farm with a cemetery on a small knob in the middle of a large field.  There were about fifty head of cattle at the back of the field.  They seemed a little restless, but I figured it was feeding time or something and didn't think anything of it. At one point I separated from my coworkers and went back towards the gate (about fifty yards away) because I thought we needed to move our vehicle, but the guy who needed out of the driveway was able to get around it and I wasn't able to open the gate because my arms were too short to reach the chain, so I went back to the cemetery.  All of the cows, as far as I could tell, were still in the back of the field.  A few minutes later as we started descending the hill to leave, I noticed that a group of about ten cows had flanked the hill from the opposite side.  We joked about getting stampeded and how much time we'd have to get out.  Well, about five seconds later, I looked over and THEY WERE RUNNING STRAIGHT FOR US!  At the front was a VERY LARGE bull, with nearly a dozen heifers trailing behind him.  He was staring us down with the meanest look I have ever seen on a cow!  We scrambled out of the gate, and as soon as we were safely on the outside, he stopped, turned around, and herded his harem back down to the other end of the field.  After falling on the ground in adrenaline-fueled giggle fits, my friend turned to me and said "I guess they heard you're not a vegetarian anymore!"

Seriously, it was the craziest thing I've ever seen.  The only explanation I can think of is that it's mating season and the bull was feeling hyper-territorial. 

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: The cows have heard the news...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 10:00:14 AM »
Yikes!   I bet that was scary!

HungryinTN

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 10:14:25 AM »
There was definitely a bit of a life-flashing-before-my-eyes moment.  Later in the afternoon we visited the university's dairy complex to survey a cemetery on the property.  All of the fences were electrified so we skittered along like church mice to make sure not to attract any attention to ourselves knowing we had no escape!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 11:18:57 AM »
Is your work related to what you are getting your Phd in?

HungryinTN

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 11:52:27 AM »
Indirectly.  The field work I was doing was a project for the institution I'm doing my research assistantship with.  I'm not officially assigned to the project, but yesterday was such a beautiful day that I couldn't turn down the opportunity for a ride-along.  Unfortunately, neither could the tick I found on my shoulder this morning...

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 12:19:58 PM »
Careful with those ticks!   I'd put something like oregano oil, coconut oil, or peppermint oil on it.  Something with antimicrobial properties.  Lyme disease is nothing to mess with!

HungryinTN

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 12:24:07 PM »
We think Lyme is what's wrong with my mother.  I've treated it and I'm keeping an eye on it for the bullseye rash.  So far, so good.  I think it must have been in my clothing, gotten on my bed when I changed, and attached itself while I was asleep.  It was in a place that should have been easily noticed if it had been there yesterday evening.  I only noticed it when I looked in the mirror before my shower this morning. 

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 06:10:10 PM »
Talking about oregano oil......I had a planters wart develop on the left side of my arch a few months ago....systematically using oregano oil on a cotton ball has almost obliterated it. it's not totally gone yet but I have high hopes it will be soon.....

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 06:42:11 PM »
> Something with antimicrobial properties.

Tea tree oil (Melaleuca alternifolia). Make sure it's a topical preparation and not for aromatherapy. A claim of ISO 4730 compliance might not hurt either.

About 1% of the population is allergic to it, and another 1% can develop an allergy (I did, from over-use), but the stuff is so effective that I still use it on wounds and bug bites, and would use it on rashes, fungus, etc.

HungryinTN

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 07:07:42 PM »
Sure do wish I had some of that right now!  I just found another bite of some sort.  Spider, I think...

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 09:34:46 AM »

HungryinTN

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 11:45:42 AM »
Believe me, if they didn't live in Alabama...

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 03:16:24 PM »
Silly me, I had always thought a Lyme Disease test was a simple thing.  Well, all they did was draw blood but the results covered half a page, all to tell me I was clean!  With a test like that, it has to be a miserable condition.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 03:16:24 PM »

Sponsored Links