This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Quick trip through the digestive track  (Read 6807 times)

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Quick trip through the digestive track
« on: May 04, 2013, 01:18:25 PM »
I saw this on a paleo Facebook site today and thought it was worth posting.....

http://www.gnolls.org/1444/

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: Quick trip through the digestive track
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 02:59:01 PM »
lol-   I've been spending all kinds of time this morning reading about colon health.   ( Especially since I'm taking Magnesium Citrate today to deal with that issue I went to the ER for this week)   :)

And on a side note, the stomach is a lot higher in the body than I thought it was.  Our gut is mostly intestines.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 03:00:28 PM »
Great minds think alike!

Sula

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 01:01:15 PM »
Hi Jan, I've been reading the link you posted for about the last 2 hours... WOW ( O! that includes the comments ) what a ton of info. and is very interesting. I'm about 1/3 of the way down the "comments". Puts a whole new light on meat, vegies, vegan, Farts ( lol ) etc. Thx so much for the link, it will become a new bookmark.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 02:46:04 PM »
I know Sula....it's a lot to wrap  one's head around! Also, you might be interested in reading Dr. Ede"s take on fruits and veggies.....I'll try to post the one James (from WB blog) sent me.

I'm in the process of making several gallons of real bone broth today.....went to my local Mennonite organic farm down the road and got bags of beef bones, knuckles and an assortment of other stuff.....am now roasting them for 2 hours.....then got out my electric turkey roaster and will cover them in water, with some cider vinegar and some veggies for 48 hours!  I'll freeze it in reasonable quantities.....I'm thinking it will be a terrific way to start the day.  I'll keep everyone posted on how this works....and maybe wee can start a new link.....lots of recipes out there....I'm thinking it will help everyone with colon issues!

Sula

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 11:45:48 PM »
Wow ( again ) Jan.  thats ambitious.
Am not quite there yet with the beef broth. It's just not soundin like breakfast. I have a great colon, lucky me. But I do have other issues. I was so impressed with the amount of info on that blog... it was amazing. And real good networking/interaction with all the readers, was excellent reading. The farther along the path I go the more information I find. There is a vast amount of knowledge out there just waiting to be read. Thx again with the link. Let me know about the broth... like if you like it for breakfast... lunch ya, but not so much breakfast. lol.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 06:18:24 AM »
Here"s Dr. Ede's site.....interesting reading!

My broth is still cooking.....I'm going for the full 48 hours......smell great!

http://www.diagnosisdiet.com/food/vegetables/

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 04:32:52 PM »
So are you planning on freezing the broth for soups, or will you be drinking broth like tea?

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 05:33:35 AM »
Rita, I'm finishing up a few hours early  as my 35 yr. old turkey roaster is dying!  I'm freezing the broth (tonic) to drink.....may even put some in ice cube trays (if I can find some around here!) to find the most efficient way of doing this.

After googling 'bone broth', and reading several sites, when the bones and cartilage are slow cooked for 24 to 48 hours, they leach an incredible amount of vitamins and minerals into the broth and it's really a medicinal tonic.  Could be  how our paleo relatives got a good bit of their nutrients.  It's important to use all kinds of different bones like,  knuckles, ribs, feet, etc.

Later today, when time permits, I'll start a new thread with some good links. It may be a great adjunct to colon health......maybe your husband would be open as well!

Wheatless in Seattle

• G&SF since Sept 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 11:36:38 AM »
I'm thinking it will be a terrific way to start the day.
I agree with you, Jan.  After having fish soup for breakfast on Saturday, I thought soup/broth for breakfast would be a great way to start the day, especially in cooler climes.

I started a new topic of Bone Broth under WB Recipes this morning as you had previously suggested.  Perhaps you can add the links under there.

I hear you about the ice cube trays.  I don't think I have any, either, but they'd be handy for the broth. 

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 01:16:43 PM »

Hi Jan, I've been reading the link you posted for about the last 2 hours... WOW ( O! that includes the comments ) what a ton of info. and is very interesting. I'm about 1/3 of the way down the "comments". Puts a whole new light on meat, vegies, vegan, Farts ( lol ) etc. Thx so much for the link, it will become a new bookmark.
I decided to go back to the article and read the comments too.  Lots to go through, but very interesting.  I like that the author is answering everyone's questions.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 02:13:17 PM »
Rita, I like that link too....you  know, the more I read, the more I realize I DON'T know!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 05:08:36 PM »
Rita, I like that link too....you  know, the more I read, the more I realize I DON'T know!

That reminds we of when I graduated from high school.  I thought college was pointless because I felt I knew it all.

Then when I graduated from college, I realized I know very little.   lol

What's hard in this area of nutrition, is that there are so many different philosophies, and each philosophy has their own guru with scientific data to back up their perspective.

But, data can easily be analyzed wrong, such as with saturated fats or even with the China Study

Joan from MN

• Wheat free since 1/20/13
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 11:16:28 AM »
[
What's hard in this area of nutrition, is that there are so many different philosophies, and each philosophy has their own guru with scientific data to back up their perspective.

But, data can easily be analyzed wrong, such as with saturated fats or even with the China Study.

I've been reading so many different philosophies related to what constitutes healthy eating, and while it's all fascinating and informative, I have to say, I'm more confused than ever. I mean, what if the China Study and Denise Minger are both wrong? I'll never go back to eating wheat and sugar again, but I'm beginning to realize that this WOE [there's another acronym for your list!] hasn't been the magic bullet that I was hoping for either. So the question for me is, what to try next?       

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 12:22:37 PM »
I've been reading so many different philosophies related to what constitutes healthy eating, and while it's all fascinating and informative, I have to say, I'm more confused than ever. I mean, what if the China Study and Denise Minger are both wrong? I'll never go back to eating wheat and sugar again, but I'm beginning to realize that this WOE [there's another acronym for your list!] hasn't been the magic bullet that I was hoping for either. So the question for me is, what to try next?   

I totally get that.   I feel the same way.  And of course we are all different, we all have different genetics and exposures, so there is no one size fits all.

Sula

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 07:52:04 PM »
Agreed.
I recently had a protein shake, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't agree with me. And when I think back I think I have known this, it just didn't sink in. I only use the shake when I am really in a hurry and I need something to eat fast. So, now the question is... do I have a dairy issue, or maybe just a whey issue. And is there a difference? Could I do cream and no whey? Or do I have to completly get off dairy? So, I will stay away from the whey. But O! how hard to stop having cream in my coffee.
Yup, we are all different. But this is a great place to start. And Dr. Davis has helped us find a place to start. Rita gave us a forum to discuss it all.
All grains and all sugar is poison to me. Maybe whey also. I will continue down this path and eventually I hope to find good health, good body weight, great energy, and un-cloudy thinking.
I also think that by writing in here to one another we network and help one another. We also keep it interesting with things we find, recipes, blogs, science stuff, etc.
So, cheers to us all !
And thanks again Rita.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 09:13:49 PM »
Sula -  I was reading that if you have a milk intolerence to the protein in milk, you have constipation.   If it's an intolerance to the sugar ( lactose ), you have diarrhea.

There is hardly any sugar in cream.

And on a side note, I used almond milk in my coffee and that was pretty good.  ( Normally I always use skim milk ).

Sula

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 07:40:53 AM »
Yes Rita, I don't do sugar, hence the cream. Which I have to say tastes WAY better than skim... lol.
Also my reaction to whey is more like nausea, upset stomach, but no real bowel problem. I also seem to have an issue with cheddar cheese, and am going to try it in it's white form. I understand that cheddar is colored, I can't remember the name of the stuff they color it with. But am hoping that if I eat the white kind it won't bother me. I love cheese.
Interesting that things I used to think were just everyday aches and pains and mild to moderate upsets in my body I am now suspicious of and can usually trace it back to something I have eaten. Just a few months ago I would have just ignored it.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 07:55:57 AM »
Boy... never thought of colors they put in cheese...

Weeksie

• Wheat free since 03/11/13
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 07:42:43 PM »
Boy... never thought of colors they put in cheese...
Yes they do. I love sharp white cheddar.  Somewhere sometime in my life I read the stronger the cheese, the closer it is to original form ... And white, not yellow/orange.  Something like not as much liquid is added. I should research that because that was many many years ago when I read it.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 05:06:48 AM »
I think, as a human species, we probably have a diet that we are best suited to consume for ideal health.....as does the entire animal kingdom.  But since we humans got off track 10,000 years ago, we are now coping with the distinctive, personal effects of toxicity......that's exhibited in our wide range of personal intolerances.

I'd love to put Dr. D, Gary Taubes, Robert Lustig, Loren Cordain, David Getoff, Georgia Ede, Richard Johnson, Vivian Goldschmidt....and others I've forgotten at the moment.....(maybe Boundless too so he can interpret for us!) in a room for a week and let them hash out the perfect human diet!  Is that what they call a 'pipe dream'?

Sula

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2013, 01:26:36 PM »
O! My!
What a thought!
I am with you on that Jan!
Wouldn't that be a wonderful wall to be a fly on?

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2013, 01:26:36 PM »

Sponsored Links