This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: "Fed Up" trailer  (Read 8026 times)

Randal

• View Profile
"Fed Up" trailer
« on: April 10, 2014, 04:37:39 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCUbvOwwfWM

Dr. Lustig and Gary Taubes are in this.

Btw are there any instructions on how to get the YouTube embed button to work? It's not obvious.

Linda R

Re: "Fed Up" trailer
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 04:53:26 PM »

Here you go Randall....

Linda R

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 04:59:21 PM »
Randall,
It took me several attempts to figure out the steps as well.
Copy the embed info from YouTube, then come back here, click the "YouTube"icon, and insert the embed info.

scrupulousgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 05:18:55 PM »
Randal & Linda,

Thank you for posting this!

-Bailey

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 05:30:10 PM »
Yes, thanks for posting....sending it on....

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 06:56:17 PM »
Definitely something I'll have my son watch.   ( He's choosing crappy foods when I'm not around… and as a teenager, it's easy to do )

MissMel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 10:08:22 PM »
I did not realize the severity of the toxic effects sugar has on the liver until I watched Dr. Lustig's lectures on YouTube several years ago. 

The supermarket can be an extremely frustrating experience when trying to avoid added sugars.  Can I not buy a jar of salsa or mayo or soup without added sugar for goodness sake?!!  I spend 1/2 the time in there scrutinizing ingredient lists and the other 1/2 being depressed when I see what's in some people's carts.

I get depressed not because I'm judging the person for choosing those foods but because I too am FED UP with the processed food industry and how they continue to perpetuate the low-fat nonsense and use harmful additives, preservatives and colourings (several of which are banned in other countries).

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 10:16:44 AM »
Thanks for posting. I am fed up with trying to find a jar of mustard or spaghetti sauce without added sugar, and, if I do find one, it is likely to cost more to keep the sugar out!

Linda R

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 12:17:27 PM »
Thanks for posting. I am fed up with trying to find a jar of mustard or spaghetti sauce without added sugar, and, if I do find one, it is likely to cost more to keep the sugar out!

I searched and searched and found this one at, of all places, Walmart. It is very good, I keep it in the pantry and unused portions in the freezer.

http://www.lucini.com/shop/tuscan-marinara-with-roasted-garlic-sauce

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 06:38:58 AM »
I will have to try it. Right now I am buying a brand at my local coop called "Bove's." It's local, from Burlington. The roasted garlic doesn't have sugar. Thanks you!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 04:00:45 AM »
The documentary, Fed up, is being released May 9th. While I have a feeling it may fall short of making the grain/sugar connection, my hope is that it will stimulate lots of conversation in this country and abroad. Does anyone live near a theater where it will be playing? Unfortunately, our small boutique movie house has requisitioned it, but it may not get here till the end of May and we'll be gone. :(

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 06:55:41 AM »
> While I have a feeling it may fall short of making the grain/sugar connection, my hope is that it will stimulate lots of conversation in this country and abroad.

Alas, with of the names attached to the production (some of whom were involved in a notorious Global Hot Air movie), many fear it will be just a polemic rant with cherry-picked science and some flat out falsehoods. Being chewed on at:
DietDoctor: The Movie the Junk Food Industry Fears

Anyway, if it flops theatrically, that will speed up availability on streaming servers and on spinning media. With any luck, it won't contain too much spin, and will cause people to do their own research on nutrition.

MissMel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 01:54:08 PM »

The documentary, Fed up, is being released May 9th. While I have a feeling it may fall short of making the grain/sugar connection, my hope is that it will stimulate lots of conversation in this country and abroad.

I too am hopeful that it will start to shift people's focus and get them talking.  Last year in November there was a small media frenzy over one of our local daycares fining a mother $10 ($5 per child) in accordance with their policy that packed lunches had to include an item from each food group in Canada's food guide (which is grain heavy).  The mother packed a lunch consisting of leftover roast beef, potatoes, carrots and milk. Grains were missing, so the daycare gave the kids Ritz crackers in addition to fining the mother.

The daycare ultimately dropped the fine, but what was even more depressing is that the daycare said they implemented this policy because some parents were sending their kids to daycare with pizza pops, and nothing else.  :(

Here is the article from CBC news if anyone is interested:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/daycare-gives-kids-crackers-fines-mom-for-unhealthy-lunch-1.2432039

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 04:47:58 AM »
Here's an interview Katie did regarding the movie, "Fed Up", which btw, is getting a lot of play on FB.....I didn't realize her mainstream media show is going off the air, which gave her the freedom to antagonize Big- Food, Big-Agra etc., which she admits in the interview. While, unfortunately, I don't think the movie will make the leap to carbs = sugar, it may still have a powerful impact....we'll have to wait and see. (It's being shown in limited theaters).

http://www.salon.com/2014/05/06/katie_couric_vs_big_food_shes_a_strong_feminist_but_not_an_activist/

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 05:56:46 AM »
Jan,

Good article!

I'm glad she spoke about a teacher trying to raise funds for cookbooks for her students.  Neither student nor parent knew how to cook and basically ate packaged, processed food all the time.  No wonder they are fat and sickly! 

I hope in there will be initiatives in future articles to get people to learn how to cook healthful meals without fast food or a packaged heat and eat component. It really isn't that hard and you don't need much in the way of equipment. Housing, by law, is required to have a stove and sink in the kitchen.  Many have refrigerators included, but these aren't all that expensive if you have to buy it.   All you really need is a willingness to learn and a few pots and pans.  This hasn't changed.  The relentless advertising has.  I'd venture to guess that when the media really starts hyping home cooked foods made from scratch as being the smart and fashionable thing to do, that thats when the cultural change will really happen. 

As part of the boomer generation, I grew up with meals eaten at home.  Home was where the food was!  Restaurant meals were only for special celebrations.  There weren't too many restaurants anyway. Most were local with the food prepared on site.  Fast food places were individually owned and were famous for their "specialty" dishes.  These were a special family treat.  It was commonly known that the meal wasn't the healthiest choice and shouldn't be eaten often.  It was also expected that you pack and bring your lunch if you couldn't go home.   People found the time for that just as they found the time to cook dinner, as modest as it might be.  So what changed?

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 09:36:22 AM »
Rolling Stone posted their review of 'Fed Up'......anyone been able to view the movie yet?

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/fed-up-20140508

LibbyMe

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 11:16:29 AM »
Rolling Stone posted their review of 'Fed Up'......anyone been able to view the movie yet?

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/fed-up-20140508

Great article!!!  The movie...if nothing else it will (or might) be a "link" in someone's chain of events to  coming to grips with their health.  I've battled my weight since I was a young woman but it wasn't til my 50's that it became really difficult to lose it. In two words "insulin resistance".  I'm with the person who said they were a "boomer".  We too didn't eat out when I was growing up.  My mom would say "it's cheaper to eat at home...and the food is better!"  The grocery stores back then were small as well.  We didn't have junk food at our disposal in my home of origin. Though occasionally  my mom would buy potato chips (they tasted better back then)...but not to snack on.  When I married in the mid-60's I copied what I grew up with making our meals from scratch!  I did bake some though I didn't enjoy it!  When my kids were in their teens I backed off from baking thinking "we don't need it!"!!  BUT I went to work outside the home.  That was about the time that Dr. Davis (or was it Dr. Perlmutter?) said that prepared foods made a huge entry into our culture.  Oh the ease of putting together a meal out of a package or box!!My DH has never had a weight or health issue...but I sure have.
Back to the movie....I've not seen it offered in our area of Central Florida.  Maybe will have to find it on Netflix or some such thing.  Thanks for posting this thread!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2014, 06:57:49 AM »
Fed Up is in the news today......still haven't seen it. Has anyone?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/11/fed-up-congress_n_5485660.html

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2014, 06:55:05 AM »
Thanks for mentioning this movie, I might go see it with my daughter, or wait till it's on Netflix, which usually doesn't take long for this type of film.  There is one on Amazon instant prime, if you are a member it's free.  It sounds similar …

http://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Ytit-Chauhan/dp/B007JRU4TY/ref=sr_1_1?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1402694702&sr=1-1&keywords=fresh

Hope the link works, if not just go to Amazon and look for "Fresh" the movie ...

enthuz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2014, 11:29:16 AM »
I will definitely watch this movie. I love pieces like this. Thanks OP.
Wheat Free & Loving It!

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2014, 12:39:15 PM »
My partner went to see Fed Up with, of all people,
[/size]Dr. Eric Westman and a few people from his
[/size]lifestyle clinic at Duke.  They were the only people
[/size]in the theater so they started replying to the move
[/size]ala Rocky Horror Picture Show.
[/size]
[/size]She said it pretty much concluded the only thing that will
[/size]work is bariatric surgery.  Weak or no connection of carbs = sugar.  Not much
[/size]useful info either.  No doubt, with Dr. Robert Lustig in it.  He still has
[/size]never made the connection.  (Don't be on my side, [/size]okay?)

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2014, 03:34:33 PM »
Bill,
I figured they wouldn't make the carbs = sugar connection....I wonder if it will have impact at all when it hits mainstream media.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2014, 04:09:49 PM »
MArio Batali makes a great tomato sauce without sugar or artificial anything.  I can get it at Costco every once in a while, at great price.  The best we've ever had.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2014, 08:18:23 PM »
I was finally able to get the Fed Up CD from Netflix.  Had to bribe my teenage son to watch it, but he did and it had an impact on him.  Yay!  I think it's a good documentary for kids to watch.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2014, 08:18:23 PM »

Sponsored Links