This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Beet Kvass  (Read 582 times)

VibeRadiant

Beet Kvass
« on: May 02, 2014, 08:49:30 PM »
I was searching the other day for a natural way to increase stomach bile production and I stumbled upon beet kvass.  A European tonic achieved by wild fermentation process.  It is known as a blood and liver tonic, and aids in keeping you regular. Beets are also high in betacyanin which can dramatically increase the oxygen-carrying ability of the blood. It is rich in B-complex vitamins such as niacin, pantothenic acid, pyridoxine and minerals such as iron, manganese, copper, potassium and magnesium.
[/size]So I made two batches. The recipe is easy and it takes about a week to ferment.[/color]I washed three large-ish organic beets with greens attached. I then saved the greens for my morning smoothie.[/color]
[/color]
I cut the beets into bite sized pieces (I didn't peel them). I separated the beet chunks into 2 48 oz mason jars. I added 1 tbsp of real salt to each jar and filled each jar with filtered water, leaving an inch from the top and then sealed the jars tightly. I shook well to dissolve the salt and placed the jars in a cupboard away from heat and light.  Some recipes state less salt but longer fermenting, and some call for adding whey to hasten fermentation to 2 days instead of the 7-10 days for wild fermenting. [/font][/color][/size][/color][/size]So, by day 2, I could see tiny bubbles rising up. I burped the jars and returned them to the dark cupboard. I kept burping the jars every day.[/color][/size]By day 5, the content of one jar started to form some white foam in the neck of the jar, so when I burped it, I skimmed off the foam. It started to smell sweeter and less earthy. Day 6 and the content of one jar had turned a dark purple like a rich red wine. The other is still light in color and fermenting away. I tasted the dark red liquid and although salty, it was refreshing with the little bubbles tingling my tongue. So in the fridge it went for consumption.  The other batch needs more time to ferment.    [/color][/size][/color][/size]It is recommended to drink 4 ounces in the morning and 4 ounces in the evening. [/color][/size][/color][/size]There are so many recipes for kvass including citrus, berries and fruit versions. I will be trying a beet and carrot kvass for my next batch.    [/color]

VibeRadiant

Re: Beet Kvass
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 07:37:58 PM »
Since posting this back on May 2, I have made several batches and they keep getting better each time.

I've started using whey (which I extracted myself) to boost the fermentation and reduce the saltiness. WOW! To feel the tiny prickles on my tongue is truly amazing!

I find that I actually start to crave it.

I made a batch of carrot and ginger kvass 2 days ago and I can't wait to try that.

Wheat Free Forum

Re: Beet Kvass
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 07:37:58 PM »

Sponsored Links