This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: The Trouble With Tilapia  (Read 1167 times)

Linda R

The Trouble With Tilapia
« on: May 05, 2014, 10:46:06 AM »
"Tilapia has become one of the most popular fish choices in recent years. But itís rarely wild caught, and instead, raised in fish farms, most often in China. And thatís not the worst of it. According to MSN News, ďIn many cases, fish farmed in Asia and imported to the US have been raised on diets of chicken and pig feces.Ē Thatís right; your healthy filet was fattened up on poop."

http://www.drfranklipman.com/the-trouble-with-tilapia/

I am seriously running out of healthy fish\seafood options!

Edited to add:
Shopping this AM at WalMart for non-edibles and saw frozen tilapia on sale, tons of it, and wondered why so cheap! Looked at the bag and did not see anything regarding "wild caught", put it back.
Now I am glad I did.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: The Trouble With Tilapia
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 01:04:13 PM »
Linda,

I just came back from Whole Foods and wild caught king salmon was an astounding $32.99 per lb.!  Scallops were a bargain at $24.00 per lb.!
The supermarkets around here are simply not carrying much in the way of wild caught any longer.  Everything is frozen and farmed and imported from third world countries with minimal standards.  Shrimp is raised in raw sewage too.  Just like the SARS virus started on their filthy poultry farms, I'm sure it won't be long before a fish or seafood virus develops.  That pig virus killing the baby pigs came from China and has spread to this country. 

With all our discussions about the inhumane, unsanitary conditions on commercial feedlots and slaughterhouses here in this country, I can only imagine the goings on in the Far East.  I just don't buy the frozen imported stuff any more, not only because of the filth, but too often the catch is frozen and defrosted numerous times before it winds up on your dinner plate.  It is mealy, tasteless and usually has freezer burn.  Barely edible, certainly not enjoyable and no bargain. 

Linda R

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 01:43:14 PM »
Linda,

I just came back from Whole Foods and wild caught king salmon was an astounding $32.99 per lb.!  Scallops were a bargain at $24.00 per lb.!

I find scallops here also, at my local HyVee, in the fresh seafood dept., and I buy a half pound for a VERY SPECIAL TREAT and I enjoy every single morsel!

Isn't part of the problem due to over-fishing our oceans?

I've also wondered why our fisherman don't receive subsidies like the farmers do? After all, it's a dangerous occupation and it is getting more and more difficult to raise a family on that income, right? Seems to me that going out into that unwelcoming ocean in those fishing boats is far more dangerous than climbing up into those million dollar John Deere tractors with every electronic device possible.  System is out of whack!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 01:43:14 PM »

Sponsored Links