This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Health comes from the gut  (Read 3174 times)

LibbyMe

• View Profile
Health comes from the gut
« on: May 05, 2014, 09:55:07 PM »
I know we've read this in WB and also Grain Brain...health (good or bad) starts in the gut.  I've been doing a bit of reading and now am convinced that I have leaky gut along with my hypo-thyroid, and a handful of auto-immune diseases.  I'm following what Dr. Davis and Dr. Perlmutter recommend for healing my gut.  I'm about 4 weeks to a month into this regime.  I have been doing a lot of burping, which 'they' will say is one of the symptoms of the gut being unhealthy.  Does anyone else on this forum deal with leaky gut as well as the auto-immune issues??  IF so can you give words of wisdom on what you're doing for it all AND if you've seen improvement??  Would love to hear some encouraging words.  I'm stalled with my weight loss.  Sometimes I think I gain some lbs then lose them again.  I've given up weighing as I know the scale will just make me frustrated so I "tell" by whether my pants fit or not.  I've been doing WB now for a year and a half....while there has been some really good signs of improvement for me I feel that I need or could be doing something differently.  I know there are links, blogs etc out there that give good teaching but I'd be on my computer 18 hrs a day looking at all that.  HELP!!!!!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Re: Health comes from the gut
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 07:31:45 AM »
Libby,
I'd venture a guess that everyone on this site has dealt with some stage of leaky gut syndrome via our prior standard American diet. And the stages of healing may look different for each of us depending on the level of damage and other compounding factors. Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride (of GAPS fame) has a great site you may peruse and find some helpful information. She does indicate that for some, the healing process can take a very long time. http://www.gaps.me/preview/?page_id=35

Bone broth, fermented foods?

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 08:40:54 AM »
Coincidentally today on MDA:
A Primal Primer: Leaky Gut

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 10:01:34 AM »
I also have leaky gut and am hypothyroid, with candida and adrenal fatigue. I am doing Body Ecology Diet by Donna Gates. It's basically the wheat belly WOE with fermented foods. I've been wheat free for 2 years. I finally realized I have to heal my gut so I can fight off the candida. I read that this way takes a long time. I could also use some encouragement. If I weren't so fatigued I'd be able to get out of the house which would be a plus for me.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 11:54:07 AM »
On MDA's post, there was a link to a leaky gut webinar this Thursday......

http://solvingleakygut.com/leaky-gut-webinar/

LibbyMe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 03:09:53 PM »
I signed up for the webinar listed in the conversation.  I really need to pursue healing!  I have rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes, hypo-thyroid and....who knows what else??!!  My stomach seems to be sour!  I utilize apple cider vinegar (Bragg's brand) 2 to 3X daily in about 6 oz. of water.  I take all the supplements that both Dr. Davis and Dr. Perlmutter suggest.  I think now I need to work on eliminating some things....ie. dairy!  Coconut milk will become my friend!  I don't eat it a lot BUT I do enough where I'll miss cheese!  Haven't drunk cow's milk in years!  I suppose butter would be "out" then too??  Suzhookem  I'm sort of in the same boat as you!! (hugs (((()))) )!!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 08:52:35 PM »
Vitamin E is good for rheumatoid arthritis.   I'd go the whole foods route on vitamin E rather than supplement, and eat avocados.

Also, make sure you have enough vitamin D.   Deficiencies in vitamin D are related to a lot of inflammatory diseases such as IBS and rheumatoid arthritis.

(and on a side note, a vitamin D deficiency can be caused by a vitamin A deficiency, so you might add a little liverwurst or pate to your rotation.)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 10:10:27 AM »
Chris Kresser has a new blog post on his site about leaky gut and quercetin.

http://chriskresser.com/quercetin-heal-leaky-gut

Bea

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 11:05:45 PM »
The next Leaky Gut webinar is on Tuesday, May 13th at 9:00pm Eastern,  "well show you the formula that 1000s of others like you have used to stop and reverse chronic health complaints (even ones most doctors think cant be fixed)." It's free but you need to reserve a place
http://solvingleakygut.com/gut-health-webinar/
They have posted lots of helpful information since the first one a few days ago.

Yes, I have T2 Diabetes, Hashimotos Thyroiditis, Psoriasis - so have several autoimmune conditions. Having gone wheat free in February 2012, taken probiotics, and also eliminated dairy more recently has eliminated the worst i.e. most obvious symptom of leaky gut - explosive diarrhea, and I have more energy etc.

LibbyMe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 02:14:34 PM »
Well have to say I listened to the webinar and it was interesting!  Just this past weekend I made the hard decision to eliminate dairy from my WOE.  I didn't eat a lot of cheese but did eat it.  I haven't drunk cow's milk in years but LOVE butter!  Today...I fried my food in coconut oil...yummy!!!  I know it will take some experimentation and I'll have to look for alternatives to my dairy....ie goat's cheese, ghee and ???  Anyone have any ideas.  My "gut" has been a bit sore all this past week---I think due to some hidden gluten in a meal I had a week ago today.  Didn't get the diarrhea but didn't feel all that great!  Lesson learned.  I know it will take time to heal.  Dr. Davis told me (I PM'd him sometime ago) it can take a year to a year and a half to see results with my autoimmune issues (RA, T2 diabetes and more).  I took myself off my RX-strength naproxen as I KNOW it was harming my stomach!  It shall be "interesting" to see if in fact my issues heal and get better.
To the person who said they need support...hang in there!!!!  I've been doing WB since Jan. of '13---my labs have improved AND my ARNP decreased my thyroid medications as well as my metformin.  It's just that I know I have leaky gut so need to address that too!!  (((HUGS to you)))

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 03:01:51 PM »
I recently read a post on a health blog regarding healing the gut and they used the following timeline (loosely, I presume).......that for every year of eating toxically, it takes one month of healing time. So, if you've been eating the SAD for thirty years, it may take 30 months to heal....don't get frustrated.

LibbyMe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 10:59:51 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement!  I'm 69 yrs old so put ALL those months together minus how long I've been on this WOE.    I have 'sensed' the gradual good results so now understand the words of Dr. Davis when he said it "coild" take up to a year or more before one would detect the good results on inflammatory diseases (ie. RA, diabetes etc)  Sometimes when one lives in the trenches and there aren't too many others doing the same thing OR if one reads too many of the WB testimonies of folks with dramatic results one can get a bit discouraged.  I try not to take all of what I just mentioned too seriously but when I put on some zipper/button pants the other day and couldn't do either I was a bit "down".  I'm thinking I could have been bloated so now am being A LOT more careful!!  Wish too there was a "like" tab on this site.  So many folks have such great comments!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 10:59:51 AM »

Sponsored Links