This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Almost Paleo Bread  (Read 4905 times)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
Almost Paleo Bread
« on: May 09, 2014, 06:26:56 PM »
Hi,

I love to cook and bake and will introduce myself later on in the Welcome thread.

but wanted to see if anyone else had come across this incredible bread recipe?  Easiest and best wf bread I've made, and I pretty much tried all the recipes I could find, with WB Focaccia and Maria's recipe being my favorites and most baked, until I found this one.

It takes about 5 minutes to stir up and then about 45 minutes to an hour to bake, depending on what baking form you use.  At first I made it in the bread loaf pan, as he does, and it came out just as beautiful and high.  It's very filling, so I started making it in smaller Pyrex pans, sometimes three or four small loafs, and I love to use it for appetizers, sort of like those little spare rye and pumpernickels you find at the Deli counter.

Anyway, here it is, please let me know what you think, if you try it - I have found it to be absolutely wonderful, and fool proof!

Best,
Barb

PS - will copy and paste the recipe part too, for anyone who doesn't like to open links.  Hope that's ok!

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2012/10/15/too-good-bread-and-almost-paleo-bread/

Almost-Paleo Bread
I didn’t mind giving up bread when I went low-carb, but I do occasionally miss tuna melts, patty melts, BLTs and other sandwiches, so I’ve kept an eye out for grain-free bread recipes.
We tried this one last week and thought it was pretty good, although the loaf only rose to about half the height of sandwich bread. So we tweaked it and tried again. This time the load produced sandwich-worthy slices. Here’s the tweaked recipe:

• 16-oz. jar creamy almond butter
  • [/color]
  • [/color]6 eggs
  • [/color]2 teaspoons baking power
  • [/color]½ teaspoon salt
  • [/color]¾ cup warm water
  • [/color]1. Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees.2. Mix the ingredients in a mixing bowl.3. Pour the batter into a 9 x 5 greased bread pan.4. Bake until firm. (In our oven, it took one hour.)While watching Sunday Night Football, I decided to taste-test the bread by making one of my long-ago favorite sandwiches, a grilled cheese with ham and a fried egg. (Yes, I know cheese isn’t paleo.) I’m pleased to report that the almond-butter bread held up well. Chareva also informed me the bread holds up to being toasted in a toaster.I took a ham and salami sandwich to work today and it was quite filling, no doubt because the almond-butter bread has a very high fat content. Since Chareva’s parents are visiting later this week in honor of her 40th birthday and her dad loves bagels, we ordered some bagel pans. With any luck, the recipe will work for onion bagels.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: Almost Paleo Bread
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 03:09:50 PM »
Thanks for the recipe!

And welcome to our forum.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 06:20:30 PM »
Thanks Barbara - this one is really a keeper, hope you try it!!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 05:48:51 PM »
I made a batch of this bread this morning and added a bunch of spices, among others dill weed, oregano, basil, caraway seed, this mix from Trader Joe's called 21 Seasoning Salute, and also a good shot of Turmeric.  It made the bread yellow, and when I cut a piece for my daughter (I keep my 10 month old grandson sometimes on the weekend, so she can get stuff done) she said "this tastes like stuffing"!  And we both cheered, because that has been one thing we haven't been able to get just right for Thanksgiving, a good bread stuffing!  This year, I'm going to make this and just add some chopped onions, sautéed in butter with fresh chopped parsley, a few eggs and of course lots of sage!  I can't wait, and might just try it before then, with a good German pork roast maybe, and some sauerkraut or red cabbage.  I have found that a lot of the German foods I love can be easily made without wheat or other bad starches.  We all love cauliflower, so it's easy to substitute for potatoes in mashed, or even salads, I love Fauxtato Salad a la Dana Carpender!

Anyway, this bread takes me literally 5 minutes to throw together, and it bakes for about 40 minutes, I like it very well done, and usually let it cool in the oven, after I turn it off, so it gets a good hard crust.

Amazing ….  ;D

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 02:48:37 PM »
Made a batch of this yesterday also, and took some pics.  I usually bake mine in smaller pans, as mentioned, because it's faster and I like the little slices.  For one thing, I can eat very little at a time, it's not like bread that makes me want to eat the entire loaf, although its very delicious.

It also bakes up nice and high and the slices are crumbly at all, very solid piece of bread to make a sandwich with.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 03:53:36 PM »
Thanks for showing the pictures.    It looks like it has a nice crust.

HungryinTN

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 06:46:46 AM »
This is another one that has that "tastes like stuffing" effect, or at least it did for my family.  We had it for Thanksgiving (alongside my brother-in-law's famous cornbread stuffing) and while everyone LOVES  his recipe and I doubt it could ever be replaced, the bread compared favorably.  I made it again and my friend who grew the zucchini came over and tasted it and took the recipe for his boyfriend to make, and they're not gluten free at all. 

http://empoweredsustenance.com/coconut-flour-zucchini-bread/

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 07:36:32 AM »
Hungry,

This looks good.  The site has other recipes that are tempting.  Thanks!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 04:31:19 PM »
I agree, great recipe - will definitely make this one -  and great blog … good enough for a separate thread!

And I have another goodie too …. :)

enthuz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 03:36:13 PM »
I had some of this last night. I made a turkey melt with butter. It was soooo good! I would have had some again this morning, but my bulletproof coffee wasn't having that. I hope there is some left when I get home so I can make me another one. It amazes me that you can get "bread" from a no flour recipe. Thanks for the link...keep'm coming.
Wheat Free & Loving It!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 03:22:10 PM »
Glad you're enjoying it!

My daughter sent me this pic earlier today, of the sandwich she made with the last batch of bread I made -  and it looks so good, I want to go out and buy salami and brie to make me one, haha!

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 11:49:28 AM »
Gotta make this bread. Been craving for a BLT lately!
Ldyrdr

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 06:10:41 PM »
It's definitely worth baking, a little expensive, but you don't eat much of it, so lasts a long time.

I baked a different one this weekend, not sure where I got the recipe, had scribbled it on paper and put it in the kitchen, had 1 cup almond flour, 1 cup ground flaxseed, 8 eggs!  12 cloves of fresh garlic, chopped (I used 3) rosemary, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder and salt.  Turned out very nice, I decided to sprinkle cracked pepper and sesame seeds on the outside, it's very tasty with thick spread Kerrygold - yum!  ;D

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 06:10:41 PM »

Sponsored Links