This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Chocolate Cake with a Secret  (Read 1267 times)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
Chocolate Cake with a Secret
« on: May 10, 2014, 08:32:17 AM »
I just thought of another one of my favorite stand by wheat free and low carb recipes for a cake - this one is from a lovely blog by a lovely young woman, and it's here  http://healthyindulgences.net

Some really good recipes in there, do check it out when you have a chance.  Her chocolate cake with a secret has been around for a while, and the secret is:  black beans!  Now I understand that legumes are a no no for most of us, but I have to admit they don't bother me.  I don't' make this cake very often, but for birthdays or special occasions, you can't beat it.

Secret Ingredient Healthy Chocolate Cake
Yields 1

This gluten-free chocolate cake is so decadent and moist, you’ll never guess its secret ingredient – black beans! The key to making a sugar-free cake taste good is to use a blend of sugar-free sweeteners (stevia, Splenda, Truvia, erythritol, etc.). You can also use honey in place of the sugar-free sweeteners, if you like. Just taste make sure the batter is sweet enough before you bake it!

Ingredients

One 15 ounce can (or 15 ounces, cooked) unseasoned black beans*OR 1 1/2 cup cooked beans, any color (navy beans, kidney beans, etc)
5 large eggs
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
6 tablespoons unsalted organic butter OR
5 1/2 Tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 cup honey OR
1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons Truvia*6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder1 teaspoon baking powder

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (163 degrees Celsius)
.Spray a 9″ cake pan with extra virgin olive oil cooking spray, or just grease it with a thin layer of butter.
Dust cocoa all over the inside of the pan, tapping to evenly distribute.Cut a round of parchment paper and line the bottom of the pan, then grease the parchment lightly.
Alternatively, you can make cupcakes. If you’d like to bake the batter as cupcakes, line 16 cupcake tins with paper liners.
Drain and rinse beans in a strainer or colander. Shake off excess water.
Place beans, 3 of the eggs, vanilla, stevia (if using) and salt into blender.
Blend on high until beans are completely liquefied. No lumps!
Whisk together cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder.
In a bowl, use a mixer to cream the butter with sweetener (erythritol or honey) until light and fluffy.
Mix in the two remaining eggs, beating for a minute after each addition.
Beat the bean mixture the rest of the batter.
Finally, stir in cocoa powder and water (if using), and beat the batter on high for one minute, until smooth.
Scrape batter into pan and smooth the top.
Grip pan firmly by the edges and rap it on the counter a few times to pop any air bubbles.
If you are baking the cake as a single round layer, bake for 40-45 minutes. If you are baking the batter as cupcakes, bake for 35 minutes. Cake is done when the top springs back when you press on it.
Remove cake to a cooling rack to cool for 10 minutes.Turn out cake from pan, and flip over again on to cooling rack.
Let cake cool until it reaches room temperature, then cover in plastic wrap. For BEST flavor, let cake sit overnight!I
f you are stacking this cake, level top with a long serrated knife, shaving off layers until the cake round is flat and even.
Store cake or cupcakes in the refrigerator. For the best flavor and texture, warm the cake to room temperature before serving.

Notes*
You can use a blend of Erythritol and stevia in place of Truvia. Use 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons of erythritol, and 2 teaspoons of pure stevia extract. Experiment with various combinations of sugar-free sweeteners, if you like. Be sure to combine multiple sugar-free sweeteners for the best taste!**I recommend Purevia stevia packets and/or Splenda. If you’d like to leave out the stevia extract, use an extra 1/4 cup of honey.
By Lauren Benning

I just made one for Easter - it was also my niece's birthday, so I made a Black Forest Cherry Torte, only I used raspberries this time.  So incredibly delicious and just so incredibly easy and fast!  I make the cake a day or two ahead of time, keep in the fridge the way she describes, and it's very moist and decadent tasting.  When I put my "Torte" together, I cut it in half so as to have two layers, and mix a little rum or cherry vodka with a smidgen of water and sweetener, and using a pastry brush, apply it to both layers, to make it taste even better, and give it extra moisture.  Then you just add the whipped cream and raspberries (been using frozen lately and work quite well, even without defrosting) the second layer and outside of cake is covered with the whipped cream, then using a pastry bad, decorate all around with little round flours, adding a cherry or raspberry to each little round flour …

I have a picture  I took years ago on photo bucket and will try to add a link later on.

checking to see if this works
src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/barbarak/Schwarzwaelderkirschtorte-2010.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo Schwarzwaelderkirschtorte-2010.jpg"/></a>

Wheat Free Forum

Chocolate Cake with a Secret
« on: May 10, 2014, 08:32:17 AM »

Sponsored Links