This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: A delicious Mother's Day breakfast!  (Read 1585 times)

Lila

• View Profile
A delicious Mother's Day breakfast!
« on: May 11, 2014, 06:57:51 AM »
I'm mother to two furry creatures and we celebrated Mother's Day anyway with a wonderful breakfast!

I made French Toast with bread made from Gourmet Girl's bun recipe (http://www.gourmetgirlcooks.com/2014/05/amazing-turkey-sandwich-on-sesame-seed.html, without the sesame seeds). I used english muffin rounds to make beautiful, sliceable buns.

Here's my recipe for the French Toast batter (so simple)

3 eggs
1/4 cup whipping cream

that's it. Whip it all up and soak the bread before browning in melted Kerrygold.

I cooked 4 halves of the buns and then just scrambled the rest of the batter as a side.

Gourmet Girl uses Nature's Hollow syrup (sweetened with xylitol) and it is very good (albeit thin).

Topped it off with uncured bacon, a couple of sliced strawberries.

DH and I are stuffed now and he's doing yard work while I am getting ready to clean pollen off the porch. We're spending the weekend at our mountain place. Almost heaven.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: A delicious Mother's Day breakfast!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 08:47:10 AM »
Hi Lila,

I had last minute company and so I set out canadian bacon, regular bacon, nova lox, scallioned cream cheese and poached eggs as a smorgasbord to fix your own and then topped it with the poached eggs and hollandaise.   This was a wonderful idea to use the recipe as an english muffin. 

I wound up making a dozen muffins.  I read on GGC web site that someone actually uses a 1/3 cup measure rather than an ice cream scoop.
I didn't have any syrup and the stores around here don't sell Nature's Hollow.  Had I been thinking, I would have just sweetened the whipped cream and made french toast like you did.   Well, I will leave that for the next celebration menu.

It  is just terrific to be able to share recipes and bounce ideas off each other!  Thank you Lila!!! 

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 10:34:31 AM »
I never think about Canadian bacon--do you find uncured?

I am trying to find a fresh ham to cook--don't want anything sugar cured.

I ordered the Nature's Hollow syrup on Amazon but it is $2 cheaper from Nature's Hollow. They also have raspberry syrup. I haven't gotten to the check-out point to find out how much shipping is.

I love sharing recipes! Were it not for all of our help here (and Dr. Davis and Gourmet Girl), this might be a really hard way of eating!

But it isn't!!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 11:33:51 AM »
Lila,

It was Jone's Uncured Canadian Bacon.  It was purchased it at Costco.  Froze half since it was a rather large size package.  Let the meat thaw in fridge.  I fried it in ghee.  Don't know if it was pastured pork, but it was good.  Celery, salt and other foods provide the naturally occurring nitrates and nitrites.  No sugar listed.  I think this makes it milder tasting than the chemically preserved stuff. 

A friend took me through Costco since I'm not a member.  This is the only place I've seen the Jones Uncured Canadian Bacon.  I've been serving it with scrambled eggs until now.  Add the "english" a perfect poached egg and a simple hollandaise sauce and you think that an elegant restaurant has delivered breakfast to your kitchen!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 06:25:52 PM »
Lila,

your breakfast sounds fantastic!  I also am so glad to have people like Gourmet Girl and Dr. Davis and Maria and Lauren to share their recipes and creativity with us, I just need to read a good recipe, and I'm itching to go try it out.  I really love eating this way, it's so yummy - and I'd much rather eat good meat and fat than a bunch of carbs. 

I go to Costco and will look for that ham, sounds very nice.  I used to love Smithfield, but not any longer.  Costco also has delicious fresh pork, theirs is from Swift, which I much prefer now.  I always buy the whole loin, and cut my own chops, grind my own meat and make sausage from it.

Wishing you a lovely evening - Barb

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 10:16:48 AM »
Lila,

your breakfast sounds fantastic!  I also am so glad to have people like Gourmet Girl and Dr. Davis and Maria and Lauren to share their recipes and creativity with us, I just need to read a good recipe, and I'm itching to go try it out.  I really love eating this way, it's so yummy - and I'd much rather eat good meat and fat than a bunch of carbs.

Lila: Do you have the link for Maria and Lauren?  Haven't heard of these 2 before.
Ldyrdr4311

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 12:58:01 PM »
I believe the reference to Maria is from :http://mariamindbodyhealth.com

and Lauren is from http://healthyindulgences.net

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 12:58:01 PM »

Sponsored Links