Author Topic: How to Use the Wheat Belly Blog (WBB)  (Read 7139 times)

Boundless

• View Profile
How to Use the Wheat Belly Blog (WBB)
« on: May 05, 2013, 01:27:24 PM »
Edition 2014-08-24

Unless you are a member of one of Dr. Davis' subscriber forums, such as Cureality (and I am not), your web interactions with him are constrained by the limitations of his blog (http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/blog/). Here are some tips in FAQ form, based entirely on user trial and error, as an ordinary reader of the blog. This applies only to the WBB, and not the WBFB (I do not have a FaceBook account).

The Wheat Belly Blog changed format in May 2014. This how-to article on WFF has been updated  to cover what WBB users need to know under the new layout.

How Can I Find <Topic>?

The WBB's own Search engine is weak. It apparently only finds post titles and not basenote content, and never user Replies.

There is no longer a side list of common topics linked to multiple articles on those topics (which wasn't comprehensive even in the old format). The FAQ link is still a very short list.

To search WBB more extensively, use an external search engine, such as the "Search the Wheat Belly Blog by keyword" link at the top of this page, or use Google Advanced (http://www.google.com/advanced_search), restricting the "site or domain" to wheatbellyblog.com. For example, here's a search for "nuts" and "phytates" in the last year:
https://www.google.com/search?as_q=nuts+phytates&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=y&as_sitesearch=wheatbellyblog.com&as_occt=any&safe=images&tbs=&as_filetype=&as_rights=

To find your own replies later, bookmark them as soon as you post them. If there are few enough Replies on a topic when you do that, note that the URL (aka http link or web shortcut) may change when older replies are shifted of to numbered page links. Your original URL will at least get you to the correct topic. Update the bookmark as needed.

Who Can Post Replies?

Anyone, choosing any user name, but probably requiring a real email address (not visible to other readers).

The blog apparently does not check for user name conflicts, so you can accidentally use the same name someone else has used. The blog may check for abusive names, and deliberately spoofing someone else is apt to have consequences.

The email address is probably vetted (by means other than sending an email). If it's not from a blacklisted domain, and not specifically blocked due to prior abuse, it's likely good to go.

The "Web Site" field is optional (and popular with spammers, alas). I normally use it to point to this thread on WFF. You can change it from Reply to Reply, and can use it as a second link without triggering moderation.

How Do I Get My Avatar to Appear?

Beats me. It appears to be using some social media API, and may depend on what cookies infect your PC/pad/mobile, or how much FaceBook is blabbing about you. You might try using Gravatar.

How Can I Start a New Topic?

You can't. If you are interested in addressing the community of WB followers, or have a question you think might already be answered, use the WFF (this forum).

If you are trying to get Dr. D's attention, post as a Reply to a suitable topic (but see Locked Threads issue below). For a question, be sure to use an external search first.

And no, there is no published email address for the Dr., other than for media. If any addresses he uses become widely known, he'll probably have to abandon them.

So how do user posts become basenote topics?

Dr. D. creates a new topic and copies your Reply into it.

What Do I Need to Know About Posting Replies?

-1. Older threads now locked.

New Article threads older than about 21 days are locked (have no Reply links).

Alas, people with questions unrelated to current base articles tend to post them wherever, unless they know about Wheat Free Forum. I'd like to think this is a transitional situation, for the WBB threads are going to get polluted with off-topic content.

0. Post source snippets.

> I conjecture that ...
I disagree ...

Replies can get disconnected all too easily, leaving readers wondering what you're on about. What you replied to can get deleted, or eaten by a blog bug. In any case, people have to scroll up to ponder what you might have had  in mind. So quote some of the source, using "quotes" or > setoff punctuation.

1. Reply Threading

In a typical topic thread, there are two kinds of _Reply_ links:
a. The one at the bottom of the page is for replies to the basenote.
b. Those under previous Replies are for replying to those replies.

If there are replies with and without _Reply_ linkes, those without are at the maximum nesting depth.

2. Nesting Depth

The prior blog limited reply nesting to 5 deep. Those at level 5 had no reply links. I haven't observed a limit under the new format, but if one appears: to add to the bottom of the level 5 replies, reply to the nearest level 4 reply above. Your reply may not end up directly under what you're replying to, so quote source snippets.

3. Security (was: CAPTCHA timeouts
)

Captcha is not longer used and there doesn't seem to be any nesting failure for replies that aren't posted rapidly.

The new format seems to be using other heuristics to block 'bot replies. This occasionally seems to block content that seems completely harmless. If I can puzzle it out, I'll update here.

4. Moderation

Various things can cause your post to not appear immediately (to anyone but you and the moderator(s)). Of the things that non-abusive posters do, the main cause for moderation is including more than one URL in your reply (even if all such URLs are to WBB itself).

To reference multiple URLs, there are some choices:
  • Put them in a WFF post, and link to that.
  • Use multiple Replies.
  • For just 2 URLs, put one in the "Web Site" field of the dialog. I have tested this and found it to work, but be sure to clear that field on your next post, as your cookies will cause it to be re-populated with the last used URL.
If you end up in moderation it can easily take 24 hours or more before the Reply gets reviewed and released.

5. Abuse

Spamming, trolling and personal attacks can cause Replies to vanish, and might result in email addresses being banned as well. Egregiously foul language might do it too. Simple complaints or challenging questions about your WB results do not get you deleted. I think the blog hears from pretty much everyone who doesn't get immediate textbook results.

On the white hat side, there is no [Abuse] link, nor any other way to notify the WBB moderator(s) of abusive articles, a definite shortcoming of the blog.

The blog is filtering A LOT of cruft. Some still sneaks through, but it was much more extensive back before the CAPTCHA was implemented in the old format.

6. Formatting

The text dialog definitely accepts 8-bit western roman characters, and may even accept Unicode, I haven't really pushed it.

Entering [Enter/Return] ends a paragraph.

Emoticon notation  supported (no list available).

Proof-read: there is no [Preview] button, much less any [Edit] or [Delete].

How Can I Follow Discussions?

If you are posting a Reply, use the email checkboxes under the reply dialog. They work, and promptly. You get an email requesting that you confirm (this prevents someone else from signing you up maliciously).

If you aren't posting a Reply, use the "YES! SIGN ME UP!" dialog at the bottom of the article (top of Replies). This also generates a confirmation email.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 08:22:26 AM by Boundless »

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Re: How to Use the Wheat Belly Blog (WBB)
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 02:39:30 PM »
Wow Boundless....you are amazing! Thank you for spending the time to help us maneuver WBB. You can't imagine how much time I've spent searching for topics, help, advice, etc. Kudos! I personally think Dr. D needs you on his staff!

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 02:42:47 PM »
I agree with Jan. That is wonderful information Boundless. Thank you so much!!

eve

• Wheat Belly since September 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 11:37:02 AM »
Thanks I have not been able to figure that blog out ! It is not user friendly!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 12:07:14 PM »
I wonder if I should create a decent search engine for the wheat belly blog and put a link to it in the upper right side.  It's relatively easy for me to do if you all would like me to do it.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 01:52:22 PM »
That would be a great help!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 07:43:26 PM »
Okay...  I just created a google search engine for the wheat belly blog.  Here is the direct link: 

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=016509373447583387815:vdjty36mdus    ( which Dr. Davis can use if he wants ).

I also put a link to it in the upper right hand side where it says "Search the Wheat Belly Blog by Keyword".   I didn't make it search the forum, so it will only search the wheat belly blog.

Boundless

• View Profile
Search may not work the way some think it does ...
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 12:51:26 PM »
> I just created a google search engine for the wheat belly blog.

Great. Users do need to know, however, that it can take up to 24 hours for newly posted material on WBB to be found. That said, the Big G just found something I posted a few hours ago.

Users also need to know that this kind of searching sometimes doesn't find things that are there. For example, in the last few days "fructans" gets no results even though there is a user question and some discussion about it (that I added to this week). I was only able to locate it by searching my own local bookmarks.

Search engines, of course, don't actually search the entire (or even a subset of the) internet right now. They browse periodically, and load their own databases with what they find, indexed for faster retrieval.

Also, if you have a complex expression (literal strings, excluded words, date ranges, etc.), you'll need to use the G's own Advanced Search.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 04:12:12 PM by Boundless »

LibbyMe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 09:18:50 AM »
GAH!!!  I am so not-techy!  You lose me when you speak "computer-ese" such as URL which I've never gotten to know what it stands for.  My kids say I know "just enough" about the computer to be dangerous! LOL  Well guess I'll still muddle through that blog and hope it gets a bit more "friendly"!!!  BTW Boundless....sometimes you sound as though you could be a partner of Dr. Davis'...but apparently not!  :)   I have to tell you I appreciate ALL of your comments---both here and on the blog!!!
For folks that "do" have Facebook accounts---you can PM Dr. Davis and eventually he "might" respond!

aspexil

• Went wheat free end of Feb 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 11:47:24 AM »
Or in the google search box type the following:

site:wheatbellyblog.com faq

and it will search for the faq only on the wbb site.  I do this when I'm researching technical topics for a particular company to restrict my search to their site only. 

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 02:14:46 PM »
Yes... and I do the same with the whole foods site when I want 'the scoop' on a certain nutrient, as their site is such a great resource.  But their search function doesn't work well either.
ie

site:whfoods.com magnesium

Boundless

• View Profile
Re: How to Use the 2014H2 Wheat Belly Blog (WBB)
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 09:34:42 AM »
I've updated the basenote to reflect what I've learned about how the new WBB format works.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 2 1/2 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 09:43:50 AM »
Thank you Boundless and Rita, that was very kind of you both.

Janknitz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 03:15:51 PM »
Thanks for your help!  I used to check the WBB daily for new posts, but it's such a pain to wade through all the junk first and hard to find the actual blog.  Pity, as it will certainly reduce my awareness of his site and I used to send a lot of people to specific articles there. 

Boundless

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 05:59:17 PM »
> ... but it's such a pain to wade through all the junk first and hard to find the actual blog.

Fixing that may be as simple as editing your bookmark to add a "/blog/" to the URL:
http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/blog/

...which I just did to the link in the basenote here. Thanks for reminding me.

VibeRadiant

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 04:17:46 PM »
don't understand the poll at the top of the page.
No one way will work for every single person.  You must recognize absolutely how unique and special you are - HSD

Boundless

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2014, 05:39:18 PM »
> ... don't understand the poll at the top of the page.

Nor did I when I posted the basenote, but there was no way to avoid it at the time, as I recall. Rita is certainly authorized to remove it from this thread, if that's possible.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2014, 10:07:21 PM »

> ... [/size]don't understand the poll at the top of the page.[/size]Nor did I when I posted the basenote, but there was no way to avoid it at the time, as I recall. Rita is certainly authorized to remove it from this thread, if that's possible.

I removed it.  :)

VibeRadiant

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2014, 04:32:01 AM »
Thanks Rita, but what was it?
No one way will work for every single person.  You must recognize absolutely how unique and special you are - HSD

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2014, 02:07:44 PM »
I think Boundless put up a poll in the beginning.   When you start a thread, you can add a poll.  You'll see it right next to 'new topic'.   

VibeRadiant

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2014, 03:02:54 PM »
oh, ok.  I hadn't ever noticed.