This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: OTC pain meds  (Read 2615 times)

Lila

• View Profile
OTC pain meds
« on: May 19, 2014, 05:40:59 PM »
I think I'm working on a new stress fracture in one of the metatarsals (3rd or 4th), or (hopefully) some soft tissue damage. I'm sitting here in my chair not being able to keep my foot still because it hurts.

When you need some help with pain, what do you take? My choice is Aleve, but I've really been trying not to take anything much these days. I think tonight I will need to take something.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: OTC pain meds
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 06:28:13 PM »
Lila,

Sorry that you have this injury.  Wrapping in an ice blanket or at least a cold compress for about 15 minutes on an off helps keep swelling down.
I usually use curcumin (tumeric) for pain and to reduce the inflammation.  It works slowly.  Purchase a very strong dose.  There are many brands.  If you are in a lot of pain, then start with the Aleve and introduce the curcumin after the initial swelling and pain subsides a bit.  This is what worked for me.    :(

scrupulousgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 07:22:52 PM »
Lila,

I'm so sorry to hear about your foot! I recently picked-up Phenocane, which is made with Curcumin. I was convicted to stop the NSAIDS because of Leaky Gut and was researching female related natural pain relief. http://www.amazon.com/Phenocane-Natural-Pain-Management-Capsules/dp/B000S88UAQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1400548684&sr=8-2&keywords=Phenocane. I used it yesterday for a Stress headache and it was gone within (45) minutes. While my PMS has been gone almost a full year now, due to being off the grains, I still occasionally need a pain reliever. I believe this will be the trick.

Mickey Trescott, Author of the Autoimmune Paleo cookbook http://www.amazon.com/Autoimmune-Paleo-Cookbook-Allergen-Free-Approach/dp/0578135213/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1400548911&sr=1-1&keywords=mickey+trescott recommends White Willow a Bark on her Blog.

Feel better soon!

Bailey

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 04:44:08 AM »
Scrupulous,

This sounds good.  Thanks for posting it.  Note that one of the ingredients is nattokinase which is an enzyme made from fermented soybeans.  Nattokinase is well known and tolerated.  Dr. Mercola includes this ingredient in his products because it delivers more oxygen and helps keep blood from clotting.  Bicycle riders also like to use products with nattokinase because of its energizing effects.   They often suffer from micro tears caused by the repetitive movements.

Your post had me checking my medicine cabinet.  Much to my surprise, my Advil bottle remains half filled and a new bottle remains unopened.  I remember opening  the bottle just before I started on WB and purchased a refill.  That was 17 months ago.  Curcumin has been used instead, and only infrequently.  The arthritic aches and inflammation in my joints have sure decreased.   :)

We are sure walking with our pocketbooks big pharma!

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 09:04:29 AM »
I do take turmeric every day and it really does help with arthritis pains. I can really tell if I skip a day (which is only because I might forget to pack it when I'm traveling). How much do you take?

I did take a couple of Aleve and slept pretty well. It is the case that if I take a couple of Aleve the pain relief lasts more than one day so I'm hoping to not have to take any more for a couple of days. I am trying to walk 10K steps every day, though, or do some low impact step aerobics, so it might flare up again tonight.

Thanks for all the words of wisdom and resources!

Linda R

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 10:04:51 AM »
Lila,

I usually use curcumin (tumeric) for pain and to reduce the inflammation.  It works slowly.  Purchase a very strong dose. There are many brands.  If you are in a lot of pain, then start with the Aleve and introduce the curcumin after the initial swelling and pain subsides a bit.  This is what worked for me.    :(

Barbara...........
I am already taking a circumin supplement twice a day, 300 mg each, for occasional arthritic type soreness in one hip. Going wheat free eliminated all but about 10% of those AM discomforts.

Are you using this supplement for headaches as well?

If so, how strong a dose?  500 mg?
That seems to be the highest dose available at the supplement sites.

I generally pop 2 ibuprophen which has always been my go-to pain reliever, but, if this works as well, I will switch.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 10:22:41 AM »
Linda,

I'm using Jarrow Formula Curcumin 95 which is 1 capsule for 500 mg.  It does work for sinus headaches, although slower than Advil.  This is what has been plaguing me this Spring because everything bloomed at once and is covered with pollen.  I will stagger the pills, lets say every three hours as needed.  Terry Naturally brand was excellent, but the store was out of that so I substituted.  I've taken as many as 6 pills a day.  If that doesn't work, I switch to Advil.  By that time, I'm asleep.

Because its a sinus headache, I use saline sprays and homeopathic allergy relief gel sprays to lubricate and clean out the pollen.  I have been "snorting" a drop of sesame oil as a coating, using an eye dropper.  Dr. Carolyn Dean recommended this and it works nicely!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 10:22:41 AM »

Sponsored Links