This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Restaurants and Stores  (Read 6151 times)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Restaurants and Stores
« on: May 06, 2013, 08:09:00 AM »
I love eating at Chipotle, because I feel good about the ingredients and it's easy to do a wheat free meal by choosing the burrito bowl.  Then I also choose not to do the rice since I'm trying to lose weight.   Here's the information the menu: http://www.chipotle.com/en-us/menu/special_diet_information/special_diet_information.aspx

I don't know if you've every seen their viral commercial, but I love it.  I feel emotional every time I watch it.  Take a look:

« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 03:04:03 PM by Rita »

Joan from MN

• Wheat free since 1/20/13
    • View Profile
Re: Chipotle - great place to eat - plus see their viral commercial
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 08:38:50 AM »
Fantastic! And a nice cover of a Coldplay song by Willie Nelson.  :)

Wheatless in Seattle

• G&SF since Sept 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 05:48:40 PM »
I love Chipotle, too.  When I mentioned I was wheat-free (asking if there was wheat in the barbacoa), they offered to put on fresh gloves because they had been handling tortillas! 

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 10:13:58 AM »
Hi everyone.....wasn't sure where to  post this, thought we had a traveling link but couldn't find it.  FYI.....found a place called, CIBO, yesterday at O"Hare airport....it's a small store type place....was able to buy a lunch pack of almonds, white cheddar, and kalamato olives for lunch.  They also had salads, fruit etc. and gluten-free crackers etc. (but high carbs) but it's a start!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 10:48:22 AM »
Good to know.  I'll be at a different airport tomorrow and Sunday.  Maybe they'll have a CIBO there.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 10:49:23 AM »
Hey Rita, maybe we could change the name of this thread to Restaurants and Stores...or something similar??

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: Restaurants and Stores
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 03:04:34 PM »

Hey Rita, maybe we could change the name of this thread to Restaurants and Stores...or something similar??

Done!  ;)

HS4

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 07:35:39 PM »
Panera restaurants have a 'hidden' menu that has 2 items for breakfast, and 4 other items for lunch/dinner all of which are gluten free.  The lunch/dinner items are salads - 3 are probably near zero carbs (greens + some veg + protein (chicken, turkey, steak) and come with half fresh lemon + packet of olive oil.  The 4th meal contains hummus as the protein source so would have more carbs.

I don't know why they are persisting in calling it the hidden menu but the company website says the meals are available in all their restaurants country-wide.  Sometimes the salads are called 'power salads' but the staff doesn't always understand what it is.  I've had several of the salads a few times - very good fresh ingredients; but ask for extra olive oil.  More info at http://mypanera.panerabread.com/articlestips/article/access-into-paneras-hidden-menu/

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 07:12:57 AM »
Rita, did you find the CIBO shop?

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 07:26:50 AM »
I was able to go to a Whole Foods market the other day and was not impressed.  They indicated online that they carried bone broth, but did not.  I also wanted some pate' but nothing was marked regarding farm or pasture raised.....maybe I'm getting too picky but I really want to know what my food has been eating!

On another note, we went to "Dave's Grille" in Montauk last night.....was totally impressed that the entire staff knew the ingredients of the menu, including specials etc. . Wheat/gluten/sugar free.....low carb....they were accommodating to the WB lifestyle!

Kathy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 05:38:00 PM »
On another note, we went to "Dave's Grille" in Montauk last night.....was totally impressed that the entire staff knew the ingredients of the menu, including specials etc. . Wheat/gluten/sugar free.....low carb....they were accommodating to the WB lifestyle!

Nice! :)
~Kathy~

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 09:13:56 AM »
I saw on FB that Dr. D's Wheatfree market is now up and going.....limited items but it's open!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 11:32:23 AM »
We went to Olive Garden yesterday. They have a gluten free menu and it was easy to find a selection that worked for us. I had:

Penne Rigate PomodoroRoma tomatoes, garlic, fresh basil, extra-virgin olive oil and marinara sauce tossed with gluten free penne pasta. Also available with grilled chicken or shrimp.

Soooo...I had them make it without the gf pasta and serve it over grilled chicken instead. DH had grilled salmon and steamed veggies. And, of course we both had their signature salad w/o croutons. The marinara sauce was very good and DH said the salmon was good too.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 01:26:54 PM »
News from the progressive city of Boulder....."Blooming Beets Kitchen", a gluten free, dairy free, sugar free, as well as grain, soy, corn, vegetable oil free restaurant launching in 2014 featuring grass-fed, wild caught meats and local organic veggies. A clever marketing/investment strategy too....

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-launch-a-boulder-paleo-restaurant-blooming-beets-kitchen

Linda R

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 03:13:48 PM »
Just learned yesterday that my local grass fed producer [Cory Family Farm] just 2 miles down the road, is, in addition to being one of the producers within the Iowa Food Coop and also selling at several farmers' markets, is also providing meat to a new restaurant in downtown Des Moines.

http://hoqtable.com/

The world is changing, one family, one farm, one business at a time, but it IS changing!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 05:08:05 AM »
A new little french bistro opened this week so we popped in last night, between the playoff's, to try it out....a great tapas menu (with a paleo flair) included home-made chicharrones and pig's ears cooked in coconut oil. I feel change in the air!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 05:13:27 AM by Jan in Key West »

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 05:36:29 AM »
Jan,

I agree wholeheartedly!  Change is all around us.

Yesterday at the supermarket I found grass fed ground beef on sale!  Walking farther down the aisle, there were fresh beef or veal tongues, kidneys, veal brains and beef heart meat for sale.  Never saw this before.  There was also 2-3 different brands of the pre-packaged cuts of grass fed beef.  Another supermarket is advertising non-GMO fed organic chickens from a market in Pennsylvania at lower prices than most organic chickens.  Gnocchi prepared with fresh potatoes rather than potato starch.

Even the newspaper had feature stories of made from scratch pesto, chicken stock and similar basic staples. 

« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 06:57:11 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 06:26:33 AM »
If anybody ever goes through Little Rock, AR be sure to look up Local Lime. Their guacamole is served with jicama and cucumber dipping slices and you could probably get their salsas served that way too. Their grilled fish tacos are delicious and you can leave off the corn tortilla if you don't want the carbs. They have delicious gluten free Daura beer if you don't mind a carb treat occasionally. Tastes like real beer. I love their zucchini salsa...it has pumpkin seeds on top.

http://www.viewmenu.com/local-lime/menu?ref=google
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 06:30:47 AM by deanna in AR »

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 08:30:05 PM »
If you happen to be visiting Washington DC, Capitol City Brewing Company asks if you have any food allergies. Last night, I had decided I wanted the nachos with chili. The waitress told me they can make the nachos gluten free by giving me gluten free chips, leaving off the chili and cheese sauce. I asked for the gluten free chips but it was very cold and I wanted the chili.

Paid for it today, but enjoyed it. Didn't eat many of the chips, though. DH and I were talking about how I would have eaten the whole thing and wanted more not so long ago.

I thought it was nice that the waitress asked and was happy to accommodate (even though the accomodation wasn't really the wheat belly woe).

Tidewater Bar & Grill in the Delta part of Reagan National was also very nice today. I had a grilled chicken sandwich without the bread and the waitress was happy to substitute the vegetables (squash & broccoli) for the fries. I believe I got a lot more lettuce for the sandwich than I would have gotten if the bread had been there.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2014, 06:03:19 AM »
That's great Lila....post your critique on Travel Advisory and Yelp!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2014, 06:03:19 AM »

Sponsored Links