This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 1851 times)

MickiSue

• View Profile
Hello!
« on: May 28, 2014, 12:34:39 PM »
I'm MickiSue, from MN.

My background is in nursing, and I'm currently a wellness coach.

I found wheat (and grain, in general) free living by the back door. I was at a training for coaches, and a trainer was talking about a method she used that had had great success with her customers. She found their caloric and protein needs, then asked them to avoid "bread, pasta, rice and potatoes" for a week, to get the best chance of a good start at weight loss.

Having lost 20 lbs a long time ago, and then losing and regaining the same 5, for years, I decided that I should try it. Much to my surprise, I lost 8 in the first month. Being a nutrition geek, I decided to do research on WHY this was working, when sticking to around 1500 cals, getting enough protein and water, but eating grains, hadn't. I had, a few years ago, read Gary Taubes "Good Calories, Bad Calories," so was already familiar with the errors of the standard USDA "good" eating plan.

My first information came from Steven Komadina's Born to Be Healthy and Thin. That led me to Google Scholar, where I found a meta-analysis of an assortment of studies, based on the effects of the cultivation of grains on humans, called Cereal Grains: Humanity's Double Edged Sword.

Now, with Dr. Davis' Wheat Belly Cookbook and the new cookbook, I can find recipes that I can use to supplement what I've already been doing. As well, I hope, as weaning my husband off the grains.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 01:28:47 PM »
Welcome MickiSue,

You would learn a great deal by reading many of the posts.  We share lots of recipes and comment on them.  Many terrific articles and books are listed as well.  We are all different ages and walks of life with varying health problems/history.  I'm always amazed at how much I learn from this group! 

scrupulousgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 01:56:23 PM »
 MickiSue, Welcome to the Forum! We are glad to have you and glad to know that you're having a great grain-free experience! Hope that you enjoy what you see around here and feel free to jump in and share when you get a chance.

Bailey

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 02:34:01 PM »
Welcome MickiSue.....always nice to have medical minds join the group....look forward to your participation!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 06:56:19 PM »
Welcome!   Glad you found us.  We tend to get geeky about nutrition here too, so you're in the right place!

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 02:37:02 PM »
Welcome! Glad you're here.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 10:02:54 AM »
Welcome, MickiSue, I think you'll be a wonderful addition to all the other wonderful people on this forum.

MickiSue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 06:12:32 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 05:20:14 PM »
Hi MickiSue!  Really nice to see you here, and what an interesting back ground you bring to the table.  I see you like to cook and bake, so do I, and I've been reading about and studying low carb way of eating for many years now.  Best, Barb

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 05:20:14 PM »

Sponsored Links