This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: "All Fruit" spread  (Read 2153 times)

Lila

• View Profile
"All Fruit" spread
« on: May 29, 2014, 12:13:28 PM »
So this morning I toasted one of my faux english muffins and thought--Hey! I have some Polaner's blueberry all-fruit spread in the fridge! Wouldn't that be great on my muffin!

Without thinking, I got it out, stuck my knife down into it to get some (it wasn't much but I didn't measure). It was good on the muffin that had melted Kerrygold.

Later in the morning when I took a break to update my myfitnesspal diary, I was astounded (astounded!) to find that 1 Tbs of this all fruit spread has 10 carb grams and 1 gram of fiber. Ouch! It is criminal to waste 9 carb grams on something so miniscule. Since I didn't measure, I credited myself for 1 Tbs even though the amount I got was more likely a teaspoon.

Did I say ouch?!?

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: "All Fruit" spread
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 02:39:29 PM »
Live and learn!!!

One of my favorite chicken salads is made with scallions, mayo and dried apple juice sweetened cranberries.  Don't remember the exact carb count for the cranberries, but it was just too high.  I cut the cranberries in half and added much less to the chicken salad.  Ditto for adding apples to the chicken salad.  So much for my nice waldorf type summer lunch salads.  Those carbs just aren't worth it!

Linda R

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 03:11:51 PM »
Live and learn!!!

One of my favorite chicken salads is made with scallions, mayo and dried apple juice sweetened cranberries.  Don't remember the exact carb count for the cranberries, but it was just too high.  I cut the cranberries in half and added much less to the chicken salad.  Ditto for adding apples to the chicken salad.  So much for my nice waldorf type summer lunch salads.  Those carbs just aren't worth it!

The Iowa Food Coop "cart" just opened for the late May purchasing cycle and a new producer is now offering homemade, direct from the dairy, ice cream, in my favorite flavor of all time - COFFEE!

I am determined not to succumb!

Her chocolate is going fast!

Bet it is delicious as well.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 03:27:18 AM »
Lila,

I got curious about the  amount of carbs in the dried cranberries which I couldn't remember yesterday.  Yikes!!!  Perhaps this was a case of selective amnesia:  1 cup = 120 carbs.  Actual cranberries on my plate would be about 1/16 cup or 7.5 carbs.  No wonder I took the time to dice them!

I'll be sure to carefully measure the amount I'm using for the whole salad and then figure out the number of servings.  No more just throwing in a handful.  Since I have a fair sized container of them which I purchased at Whole Foods, it will take a long time to use them up.  While I'm not nearly as strict about the amount of carbs I consume after 18 months of WB, it seems foolish to eat the additional carbs unnecessarily.  I'm not happy about eating the sugars, but a strict portion control will probably not be harmful.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 06:17:30 PM »
Has anyone tried making their own jam or jelly?  I made some strawberry freezer jam a while back, and it was really very good.  I might try that again, now that I have those terrific wheat free breads!

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 10:40:07 AM »
Has anyone tried making their own jam or jelly?  I made some strawberry freezer jam a while back, and it was really very good.  I might try that again, now that I have those terrific wheat free breads!

BarbinNC:
  Funny, I was just thinking about something like this a few days ago & wondering if one can do this type of thing using sugar substitutes, & if it would affect the process in a negative way. Anyone out there have experience with this?
  Bet this would also go good on WF pancakes too!

Ldyrdr4311

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 05:48:33 PM »
There are a bunch of really good recipes out there.  I bought some of the sugar free pectin and made mine with it.  Not as solid as sugared fruit jam, but was really good.  I used Swerve.

This is where I got my info.  http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/cooking/a/sugarfreejam.htm

Looking forward to hearing others experiences with this.  I am going to try something a little more extravagant this time, perhaps a mixed berry, or blackberry and raspberry, that sounds yummy!  Germans are big on marmalade and jams, so it's something I adore.  Especially the "Johannisbeermarmelade" my Aunt used to make.  They are called red currants in English.  YUM!!!

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 10:40:40 AM »
There are a bunch of really good recipes out there.  I bought some of the sugar free pectin and made mine with it.  Not as solid as sugared fruit jam, but was really good.  I used Swerve.

This is where I got my info.  http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/cooking/a/sugarfreejam.htm

BarbinNC:
  Thank you so much for that link! Found a location close by that carries this stuff! Will give them a phone call first to see if they do have it. If not, there is another place a bit further out that is also supposed to have it.
  With fruits coming into season, I'll be trying this out. Wish there was a way to freeze this also, instead of canning. I gave my canner away.

Ldyrdr

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 02:05:26 PM »
I did freeze it, after making it, instead of canning.  I wouldn't leave it in too long, not like you would save the canned stuff, but I didn't detect any freezer burn.  I used those glass mason jars with the lid, and wrapped it all with saran wrap.  Hope it works for you, let us know.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 08:47:06 AM »
I had to come back, popped in to Facebook, and found this!

http://thankfulexpressions.blogspot.com/2013/07/strawberry-rhubarb-refrigerator-jam.html

Wow, sounds really good.  I don't use honey, but will try it will perhaps Stevia or some Swerve.

this one is so easy and right up my alley, how needs canning??

Linda R

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 10:49:55 AM »
I had to come back, popped in to Facebook, and found this!

http://thankfulexpressions.blogspot.com/2013/07/strawberry-rhubarb-refrigerator-jam.html

Wow, sounds really good.  I don't use honey, but will try it will perhaps Stevia or some Swerve.

this one is so easy and right up my alley, how needs canning??

And furthermore, who needs Smucker's?

I had intended on boycotting their products anyway, and now I can make my own jams so easily.

I am always buying organic strawberries or blackberries or raspberries whenever I can find them and keeping several portions in the freezer for snacks.
Now I can turn them into jams!
What a great use for chia!
'

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 12:50:27 PM »
This will also make a great healthy filling for a cake, I'm thinking of using it for my grandsons birthday cake.  With raspberries, seems they are rather benign when it comes to allergies? 

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 12:50:27 PM »

Sponsored Links