This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: How Americans Got Red Meat Wrong  (Read 6249 times)

Linda R

How Americans Got Red Meat Wrong
« on: June 03, 2014, 10:37:23 AM »
"The idea that red meat is a principal dietary culprit has pervaded our national conversation for decades. We have been led to believe that we’ve strayed from a more perfect, less meat-filled past. Most prominently, when Senator McGovern announced his Senate committee’s report, called Dietary Goals, at a press conference in 1977, he expressed a gloomy outlook about where the American diet was heading.

“Our diets have changed radically within the past 50 years,” he explained, “with great and often harmful effects on our health.” These were the “killer diseases,” said McGovern. The solution, he declared, was for Americans to return to the healthier, plant-based diet they once ate."

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/06/how-americans-used-to-eat/371895/?utm_content=bufferde97b&utm_source=twitter.com

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: How Americans Got Red Meat Wrong
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 11:33:51 AM »

Linda,Very good excerpt from The Big Fat Surprise.  Glad to see that reputable magazines are publishing this information.  I just got the book and am very eager to begin reading it.  Thanks for posting this.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 02:51:00 PM »
McGovern and his cronies set the nutritional guidelines by which we are still oppressed. I wonder if he and Ancel are the least bit conciliatory now that they have a greater understanding of karma......

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 08:07:18 AM »
Ancel, supposedly,  lived to an extreme age.  I'd sure like to know what he himself ate at home.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 08:15:02 AM »
The 1961 Time magazine article (the one his face graced the cover) indicated he did not follow his own dietary advice.....liked his chops, steaks etc. and was often seen at conferences indulging in copious amounts of bacon and eggs. Most likely why he lived to be 100.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 11:27:41 AM »
LOL!  Doesn't that just figure, Jan?  This is my laugh for the day.  Thanks.  That is so funny.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 11:44:08 AM »
> The 1961 Time magazine article (the one his face graced the cover) indicated he did not follow his own dietary advice...

It also appears that starting in 1952 he lived largely in Italy, in a fishing village. So he was probably on a Med Diet, and he was perhaps the person who coined the phrase. So he managed to avoid being killed early by what the SAD became (and became it largely thanks to him).

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 12:15:20 PM »
It appears our Mr. Keyes was not an introspective man.  He seems to have been guilty of 'do what I say and not what I do' syndrome.  Humm, he'd fit right in my family!   We know fish eating communities are some of the most healthy around, which is why I am looking for good, easy fish recipes lately.  My basic problem (besides being tired of cooking for everyone, myself included) is that after I cross off what I can't eat and won't eat, what's left bores even me....  Thanks for the info on Keyes, it is fascinating to study that man.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 03:03:28 PM »
Lynda,
You're much too kind.....I think of our Mr. Keyes as a devious, disingenuous, arrogant, narcisstic, bullying, insolent two legged egotist with a major personality disorder..... :o

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 03:21:26 PM »
And speaking of Time magazine.....an opinion piece written by Lustig. BTW....has anyone seen 'Fed Up'? It came to KW the week after we left so I missed it.

http://time.com/2812756/how-sugar-went-from-a-condiment-to-a-diet-staple/

Linda R

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 03:36:25 PM »
And speaking of Time magazine.....an opinion piece written by Lustig. BTW....has anyone seen 'Fed Up'? It came to KW the week after we left so I missed it.

http://time.com/2812756/how-sugar-went-from-a-condiment-to-a-diet-staple/

And it is a good read...............................

"School cafeterias have been under siege for three decades, ever since Ronald Reagan declared ketchup to be a vegetable. The Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act passed by Congress in 2010 raised the national per-pupil lunch expenditure from $2.80 to $2.86. But this increase wasn’t enough to allow school cafeterias to subsist on their own—much less cover the cost of a carrot. Instead of upping the amount, last week Rep. Robert Aderholt (R-AL) and the U.S. House Committee on Appropriations decided to gut their own the ridiculously low bar by allowing schools to “opt-out” of the federal nutrition standards. This will no doubt start to roll back the nutrition standards for all schools, which Congress expects will culminate in the No Hungry Kids Act, currently winding its way through the House. We might as well call this the “Dessert for Lunch Act.”

« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 11:07:01 PM by Rita »

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 04:31:50 PM »
Linda,

The added sugar in subsidized school breakfasts, lunches and after school snacks has always been excessively high.  Add a container of fruit juice
and milk (low fat of course!) and you have school children in a stupor after an hour or so.  This only gets worse with hfcs instead of the other sugars. 

You should be outraged!  You should be political.  Those cereal companies use every trick they can think up to sell their poison.  The Federal Government pays premium prices for those subsidized little boxes of sugar.  Then they provide this for free or low cost to schools.  This was in the 60's and now, 50+ years later, it is even worse.  The processed food companies have learned about the "magic" of television advertising and are superb at promoting their product.  Any wonder why kids are fat now and have poor stamina?

I'm getting angry just thinking about it!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 04:33:04 PM »
Unfortunately, our food, water quality and entire environment have become political and it really doesn't matter which side you're on....all politicians take special interest money and that tends to be where their allegiances lie. I guess I've been an activist for so long, all the way back through college that I don't remember a time when I wasn't involved with the issues involving my gender, my humanness and my community.....as well as my world.

Just last week, I wrote our First Lady and politely asked her to remind the President to label GMO's, as he promised......apparently he forgot!   :(  I even mentioned that she might sandwich it in a 'honey do" list....I know, he's President and very busy and as such, her list might be shorter than mine (clean the eaves, trim the bushes, fix the door handle on the bathroom door) but this is kind of important and after all, he did promise....and in six years he has not delivered on that political promise. http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/submit-questions-and-comments

But did you notice her anti-potato stance this week? I think she's a little embarrassed by the negative press regarding her unwillingness to participate in the documentary, 'Fed Up' and was trying to do some damage control.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 07:06:57 PM »
All I can say to this is that we humans have been eating meat for hundreds of thousands of years. If eating red meat was so bad for  us, we wouldn't all be here in the numbers that we are.
Although, eating certain foods (pre-agriculture) was on an availability scale, we did consume it along with fruits, berries, roots, bugs, and whatever filled our tummies to keep us alive for another day.
If meat was bad for us, we wouldn't find its aroma so alluring to us.   
When I was vegetarian and then vegan, I missed the smell of bacon the most, that should tell you something.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 07:22:39 PM »
That's why MSG is animal based....it's what our physical bodies desire.....

VibeRadiant

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 07:24:53 PM »
That's why MSG is animal based....it's what our physical bodies desire.....

do you mean monosodiumglutemate?
I thought that was bad for us?

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 08:51:10 PM »
Regarding Dr. Lustig:

On page 69 of his book "Fat Chance", he bemoans the
fact that he cannot understand why he can't lose the
40 pounds he gained in his residency.

He doesn't get it.  He seems to willfully not get it.  He
is muddying the waters with his vilification of only
sugar.

He doesn't think that carbs or wheat for that matter
are bad.

He's basically useless at this point.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2014, 06:12:30 AM »
Vibe....you're right, I mis-spoke....MSG closely mimics the flavor of meat which is why chemists use it as a flavor enhancer.....it appeals to our omnivore/carnivor receptors.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2014, 06:30:06 AM »
Last night I found a photo of Ancel Keyes at one hundred years: I take it all back, I don't want to eat like Ancel! He, I am afraid, did not age any better than any other centenarian. He looked worse than many. The poor man looked pretty decrepit.  I should have paid more attention to my 104 yr old great aunt, who staid mentally sharp the whole time, at least.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 08:27:49 AM »
The following article about fat consumption is in a health series in National Geographic.....don't you wonder how long it will take the USDA to change it's tune?

http://theplate.nationalgeographic.com/2014/06/20/is-fat-our-friend/

Linda R

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 01:15:09 PM »
The following article about fat consumption is in a health series in National Geographic.....don't you wonder how long it will take the USDA to change it's tune?

http://theplate.nationalgeographic.com/2014/06/20/is-fat-our-friend/

And the AMA, the ADA, and on and on..................................

I am looking forward to the day I can walk through my local grocery store without seeing thousands of low fat products sitting on the shelves and in the dairy cases.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 01:52:07 PM »
Linda,

I'm guessing that this is not too far in the future.  Few people choose low fat products because they like them.  Their doctors, government and diet guru's all say the same thing. Can all of these groups possibly be wrong???????

As you see more whole milk products, there will be fewer non-fat ones since stores have a fixed amount of space.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 04:17:20 AM »
My major grocery stores still stocks mostly non and low fat things, I don't really understand it.  I have a feeling this low fat thing has not seen it's end, at least not around these parts of the country.  People here still vow it's low fat that keeps us healthy and trim.  :'(

Publix is the only store where I can find the whole fat greek yoghurt, with that cream on the top, so good.  And their pork and beef isn't trimmed of all fat, I like their meat.  They are more expensive than the other stores, for the most part, but I like to shop for those things at least.  I'm lucky to have a Trader Joe's relatively close by and like to shop there every so often, to stock up on the organic and fatty stuff, but even there you still see all the low and non fat items.  I just don't get it …. don't people read?

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2014, 05:15:53 AM »
BarbinNC,

We are in the midst of a grassroots type of movement.  Here on the coast, the ideas seem to catch on quicker.  Then again, most of us don't make our living from farming since land is too costly.  Just watch your dairy isle and you will start noticing item by item hat there suddenly is full fat cottage cheese, sour cream, milk and so forth.  One supermarket here even carries grass fed milk under their own brand name!  This always sells out quickly too.  Another sells grass fed ground beef from Australia for the same price as their premium ground beef.  Remember, stores stock items that sell quickly.  The more full fat and organic produce and grassfed/pastured meats sell, the more they will stock them.
Also notice how all the cookies, crackers, chips, candy, breads and soda's are on sale with deep discounts to get you to buy. 

Most people start slow because they acknowledge they don't feel energetic, have a health concern or are overweight,  Some start this WOE just out of an attempt to improve their overall diet.  As time passes and they are finally feeling the results of not poisoning themselves and actually improving the way they feel, they become more and more vigilant about the items they place in their mouth and the mouths of their family members. 

HungryinTN

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2014, 06:30:51 AM »
I think there's also still a lot of apprehension about the new movement because we all got burned so badly by the low-fat phenomenon they're not ready to trust yet, even though they know what they're doing isn't working or at least not without a lot of unnecessary struggle.  Stick to the devil you know, so to speak. 

Linda R

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2014, 07:07:02 AM »
My major grocery stores still stocks mostly non and low fat things, I don't really understand it.  I have a feeling this low fat thing has not seen it's end, at least not around these parts of the country.  People here still vow it's low fat that keeps us healthy and trim.  :'(

Publix is the only store where I can find the whole fat greek yoghurt, with that cream on the top, so good.  And their pork and beef isn't trimmed of all fat, I like their meat.  They are more expensive than the other stores, for the most part, but I like to shop for those things at least.  I'm lucky to have a Trader Joe's relatively close by and like to shop there every so often, to stock up on the organic and fatty stuff, but even there you still see all the low and non fat items. I just don't get it …. don't people read?

I ask myself that same question all the time.

I also wonder if too many people suffer from "white coat syndrome"?

"My doctor tells me how I should eat and, he/she went to medical school and knows far more than I do, therefore I have to follow their advice."

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2014, 08:08:23 AM »
I promise this is the last article I will post about fat redemption  8) , but J. Stanton, of Gnolls fame, sometimes has interesting posts on relative subjects.....I always liked his "Does meat rot in your colon" article.

http://www.gnolls.org/3695/we-win-time-magazine-officially-recants-eat-butter-dont-blame-fat-and-quotes-me/

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2014, 09:52:11 AM »
Jan:

Great blog post about the Time Magazine article.

Keep them coming.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2014, 09:52:11 AM »

Sponsored Links