This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Obese operatic performers  (Read 2273 times)

Lila

• View Profile
Obese operatic performers
« on: June 06, 2014, 12:14:12 PM »
DH and I had a rare mid-week date night last night. Went to the performance of the Verdi opera Aida performed by the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra & chorus and a cast of phenomenal soloists. Although we often go to the symphony, we rarely go to operas and I must say this was an amazing performance.

It was the case, perhaps not surprisingly, that the lead actor and actress (both truly virtuosos) were both obese, not just pleasantly plump. Big. It is not all that unusual for operatic performers to be large and I found myself wondering why. Is it that they are so focused on developing their talent that they are mainly sedentary? I know that there is a huge amount of practice and breath control--I wouldn't doubt they have better lungs and breathing capacities than marathon runners.

I really enjoyed the evening and performance. But just goes to show how you can think about such things even in the context of a beautiful (albeit sad) opera.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: Obese operatic performers
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 12:58:20 PM »
Lila,

It has always been this way!  Don't know why.  Famous saying: "it ain't over till the fat lady sings!" 
I guess opera singers were given more food than the general population and they didn't move around as much.

Linda R

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 01:33:57 PM »
I've also been noticing lately how obesity is taking over in some of my favorite TV shows.
Even though I was not a fan of any contestants on this year's show, I noticed that many of the kids on American Idol could have been 10-20-30 pounds lighter, especially the winner.

Have watched Jeopardy for years and those contestants are getting fatter and fatter as well.

And when the cameras pan the audience on shows like "Wheel Of Fortune", or "Ellen" or any other talk shows, you see far more overweight/obese people.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 03:43:06 PM »
> Is it that they are so focused on developing their talent that they are mainly sedentary?

Don't fall into the exercise trap (as some president's wife has).

If you are eating a fat-promoting diet, exercise is of little to no help (the apparent fictions of Bigger Loser to the contrary notwithstanding).

If you are on a fat metabolizing diet, use exercise to gain weight (as muscle mass).

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 04:12:34 AM »
Before leaving KW, I was chatting with the GM of the Waldorf Astoria hotel....the conversation shifted to the obesity epidemic and he said one of his highest increases in the last few years has been replacing deck, lounge and service chairs, along with mattresses due to the expanding size of clientele.....they simply wear them out. They now must replace chairs with higher weight restrictions.

And when you see people disembarking from cruise ships, it often looks like a weight watchers cruise....and they're not all Americans either.

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 05:39:09 AM »
You're not in KW anymore, Jan?

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 06:07:01 AM »
Back in the north for the summer Lila.....nice change of scenery too!

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 06:24:07 AM »
And probably a lot cooler!!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 06:43:22 AM »
Yes, we're probably the only ones on the lake with our heat on!! 8)

VibeRadiant

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 07:43:32 AM »

Measha Brueggergosman is a Canadian Soprano who used to be obese.  She believed that with size came power. Then she had a heart attack in her 30's and had to lose weight. She is now in a healthy range and sings just as powerfully (if not better) than before.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 07:43:32 AM »

Sponsored Links