This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Lowest Carb Veggies and Fruits  (Read 4024 times)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
Lowest Carb Veggies and Fruits
« on: June 08, 2014, 07:10:32 AM »
http://www.dlife.com/dlife_media/diabetes_slideshows/lowest-carb-veggies?gclid=CNbWur2r6r4CFTAV7AodMCMAIw&pageNumber=9

This is pretty informational, I was surprised to see that carrots are relatively low carb, and will add them more going forward.  They do add up though, even in the low carb veggies, so might be good idea to take a look and count them if weight loss is a goal.

As a side note, carrots have good amount of vitamin A, big help in fighting colds and flu etc.  We started feeding our baby organic cooked and mashed carrots mixed with Kerrygold butter at age 6 months, and he loves them so much, he eats them daily now.  He has turned a slight orange, lol - looks like he has a tan ;)

Linda R

Re: Lowest Carb Veggies and Fruits
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 09:57:11 AM »
http://www.dlife.com/dlife_media/diabetes_slideshows/lowest-carb-veggies?gclid=CNbWur2r6r4CFTAV7AodMCMAIw&pageNumber=9

As a side note, carrots have good amount of vitamin A, big help in fighting colds and flu etc.  We started feeding our baby organic cooked and mashed carrots mixed with Kerrygold butter at age 6 months, and he loves them so much, he eats them daily now.  He has turned a slight orange, lol - looks like he has a tan ;)

Sure wish more parents would do this! Whenever I see people adding jar after jar of store bought baby food to their grocery cart, I want to scream! Can it be all that difficult to prepare your own with all the great food appliances available to us?

I won't even start on disposable diapers...................................................

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 11:54:21 AM »
I agree 100% about making organic baby food … my daughter has a Ninja and purees everything in it for him, and so do I.  I had some grass fed lambs liver shipped from Wellness Meats, and sautéed it lightly in butter and then refroze little portions, it's so healthy and he doesn't seem to mind, mixed in with other veggies.  Same with free range chicken, some grass fed steaks, he doesn't like the meat as much as the vegetables and fruits, but will tolerate some.  As long as she's nursing it's not that essential, but I think she is feeding him very healthy, and he shows it.

Now about the diapers … this little guy is a poop machine, lol … not sure I would have the energy to wash diapers, but we did look into it before he was born, and while I agree it is horrible, the way we fill up the trash with these things, I just don't know … did you use cloth diapers for your babies?

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »
Diaper services.....they usually come twice per week....pick up and drop off. They must still be around as my son and DIL use one on the west coast.

Linda R

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 12:32:24 PM »
I agree 100% about making organic baby food … my daughter has a Ninja and purees everything in it for him, and so do I.  I had some grass fed lambs liver shipped from Wellness Meats, and sautéed it lightly in butter and then refroze little portions, it's so healthy and he doesn't seem to mind, mixed in with other veggies.  Same with free range chicken, some grass fed steaks, he doesn't like the meat as much as the vegetables and fruits, but will tolerate some.  As long as she's nursing it's not that essential, but I think she is feeding him very healthy, and he shows it.

Now about the diapers … this little guy is a poop machine, lol … not sure I would have the energy to wash diapers, but we did look into it before he was born, and while I agree it is horrible, the way we fill up the trash with these things, I just don't know … did you use cloth diapers for your babies?

I sure did, and with my grandkids.
Had lots of arguments with my daughters when I refused to put those crappy paper diapers on them while I was babysitting, but I stuck to my guns.
I have forgotten how long it takes for one of those suckers to finally disappear in the landfill, but as I recall it was a very long time.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 12:56:29 PM »
Yeah, I agree - but there is something in me that doesn't like my laundry done with other people's laundry … and esp. not this type of laundry!  I would have to wash them myself to feel safe, how do they disinfect the diapers?  How can we be sure they don't use things I don't want next to my babies skin?  The paper diapers are easy and clean and if I'm not wrong, they have now developed them so they do disintegrate, but have to check on that.  But my hat is off to you for sticking to your guns, not sure I would have the courage to go against my daughters wishes in that respect.  :)

edieted to add - PS - he pooped 5 times yesterday, everytime he eats, he poops.  Which I think is very healthy.  But can you imagine?  I don't like a dirty diaper on his little sensitive hiney, so I change him as soon as he has a dirty one, that would add up for sure!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 01:55:50 PM »
I used cloth diapers for my son, he couldn't tolerate the formaldehyde in the early disposables.  I actually found it cheaper and less time time consuming to wash every other day than to shop and buy disposables.  Of course, this only works if you have your own washer and dryer.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 04:23:19 PM »
I did a bit of reading in the meantime, and you make a good point about the chemicals in the diapers.  They are supposedly bio degradable now, but who knows if what they write is true anymore, they also say the chemicals in the diapers are minute, but again, who knows….  our little tyke has not had any diaper rashes at all, we change him quite often, but he's still very little.  I might discuss this with my daughter, and get some cloth diapers to try out and see how it goes.  She was all for it before he was born, but then for some reason opted against. 

So many things to watch out for these days, little babies are so vulnerable, and some of the things are unavoidable.  Makes my heart heavy to think of it.  Or do you think humans will evolve to adjust to the toxins and become more immune?  Does that make sense?

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 08:12:15 PM »
BarbinNC,

Nah!  They will just get sick sooner because of not very nutritious food and too many toxins.  The Perfect Health Diet by Paul Jaminet discussed Pottinger's Cats.  This was a famous study by a veterinarian which concluded that the effects of a malnourishing diet were passed down through generations and that each generation got sick sooner than the previous one.  By the fourth generation, there were significant reproduction difficulties as well as diseases.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 06:30:24 AM »
That's interesting, Barbara.  I guess then it's natural selection at work>?  Seems unfair, but then what is fair in this world.  Not really in a good mood this morning, and after a hectic and stressful week at work, I'm ready to pack it in.  I could retire if I chose to, still hanging on because of health insurance, and other fringe benefits, but is it worth it?  Yesterday, full moon and Friday the 13th … LOL!!  It was truly an experience, my boss is such a drama queen, or king, if I didn't laugh, I'd have to cry …

I got off track this week with my eating, my workplace is not healthy, that's for sure.  I am the assistant to  plant manager of huge automotive part manufacturer, and we have furnaces that burn quench oil all day, it smells bad, and right now I"m having to bring in food for visitors there to help us, from Germany and Mexico … and I fall off the wagon occasionally, out of frustration and because of poor planning.  That's what I have to aim for again, being prepared, it's truly 90% of the battle, once you are informed and ready to be healthy. Without a proper plan and doing the prep work, it's pretty much doomed to fail.

And I"m feeling it now … tired and groggy and grouchy.   :'(

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 08:46:23 AM »
You know what they say, ' if you fail to plan, you plan to fail'.  But don't beat yourself up over an occasional lapse, Barb.  You are still eating soo much better than you were previously.

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 10:54:43 AM »
Thanks, BarbinNC for the reference to low carbs in vegetables. Also saw the one for fruits & printed that one out as well.
Am rather surprised that as a diabetic info resource that they had a list on fruits. Dr. D. has mentioned many times just how fruits have a very high sugar content; sugar isn't the best thing for a diabetic, but now, caution & control is strongly advised as to how much to consume. It was once entirely banned at one time for a diabetic to  have sugar in any form.

Ldyrdr4311

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 06:52:30 AM »
Hi ldyrdr,

I'm not surprised at all!  I worked as a Diet Tech many years ago in a hospital, and we gave the Diabetic patients list of foods to eat, and there were many fruits and veggies not that list with lots of sugar, also bread etc.  Ironically, they were advised to eat no pork!?!  I don't know exactly what is taught now, as far as diabetic diet, but the food recommendations in the mid 70s were not what we would consider low carb.  I didn't know enough back then to think it was wrong, but did wonder at times, because it just didn't seem right.

I do eat some fruit at times, mostly berries with some cream and sweetener, it seems like a healthier alternative to eating sugar laden ice cream etc.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 08:00:49 AM »
Barbin NC,

Pork was always considered a scavenger and disease carrier.  Many cultures around the world don't eat pork or seafood because they are the water cleaners and filter out the toxins from the water.  While commercial pig farming has improved the cleanliness (kinda, sorta) and don't sell diseased animals (except for those that sneak by) anymore, you are consuming meat that has been raised on all the foods WB'ers avoid.  When you were working, the industry was just starting to raise pigs not infected with diseases and produce leaner meat. 

Just like the seafood that are water cleansers: shrimp, scallops, lobster, clams, crab, stc.  All of these must be wild caught from non-polluted waters.
If they are farmed, especially in Asian waters, then chances are they are grown in overcrowded conditions, live in their own filth, fed human waste and growth hormones as well as antibiotics.  The conditions are so bad that they are again sprayed with an antibiotic solution when being packaged.

I was shocked to see the very high carb counts on even grapefruit.  The longer you are on a grain/sugar free way of eating, the less  you want sweet foods.  All those bottled fruit juices and teas have AT LEAST 25 carbs, and probably much more per serving.  I fount that a pitcher of tea or lemonade using liquid stevia for a sweetener works well.  When I am short of time, I open a bottle of water, take a sip, stick in a teabag and a drop or two of liquid stevia and recap.  The tea is ready in about 20 minutes.  The longer it sits, the more potent the flavor.  I leave the teabag in the bottle if I can't remove it. 

Concerning the veggies and fruits, I just avoid the very sweet higher carb ones, but eat a  small beet or grapes on occasion.  Potatoes are maybe once a week, cooked then cooled for their resistant starch.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2014, 10:00:22 AM »
I was surprised to see that berries were not listed closer to the top...based on what we've all been reading.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2014, 10:00:22 AM »

Sponsored Links