This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Beef Stew w/ Short Ribs  (Read 1466 times)

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
Beef Stew w/ Short Ribs
« on: May 06, 2013, 09:36:00 AM »

Beef Stew w/ Short Ribs
(Originally from Health-Bent blog...I made some adjustments)

I sometimes substitute a roast. Found one at a local meat market, they cut into stew meat. I cooked it in the crockpot in beef broth, chicken broth or water along with salt, pepper & garlic; then added remaining ingredients on second day and finished up in crockpot. I have also made this with short ribs and with stew meat. I use whatever is available that I think will be melt-in-your-mouth tender.

3 lbs. short ribs or stew meat
3 T butter
turnips
1/2 yellow onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
4 cloves garlic (I used minced garlic)
3 stalks celery, diced
4 oz. mushrooms, roughly chopped
handful of sage, rosemary and thyme, chopped (or almost ½ tsp each of dry)
1 qt. chicken stock
2 cups roasted marinara sauce (I used 1 small can of tomato sauce)
1 cup red wine (or ¼ cup apple cider vinegar)
Salt and pepper
1 cup beef stock added at the end for extra liquid (more if needed)
Kale

Method
Melt the butter on high heat. Add meat and salt, pepper & garlic. Sear your roast (or stew meat or short ribs) until it has a nice brown crust. Cover with chicken broth, beef broth or water and cook meat in crockpot all day. (Remove and shred if you used a roast. Then put it back in crockpot.) Refrigerate overnight.
The next day add the turnips, onion, carrots and mushrooms all at the same time. Add the tomato sauce, chicken stock, red wine and herbs. Cook in crockpot until the veggies are barely tender. Add the celery and kale in last so it won’t be overcooked. Add beef stock at end as needed. Remove from crockpot base so the veggies won't get mushy. Sooooo delicious.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 09:59:21 AM by Rita »

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
Oops...messed up on title...meant to put just Beef Stew...but didn't realize I had pasted in the title line. Oh, well!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: Beef Stew w/ Short Ribs
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 09:59:51 AM »
Oops...messed up on title...meant to put just Beef Stew...but didn't realize I had pasted in the title line. Oh, well!

fixed it.

Recipe sounds awesome!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 11:18:41 AM »
Thx for fixing Rita :))

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 11:18:41 AM »

Sponsored Links