This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Vitamin K2  (Read 2554 times)

Lila

• View Profile
Vitamin K2
« on: June 09, 2014, 08:10:07 AM »
I was reading on Mercola's site today that if one takes a vitamin D supplement, h/she should also be taking vitamin K2.

My doctor reduced my vitamin D from 45K/week to 20K/week but I've never taken any K2. Do any of you supplement with K2 and if so, what brand & dose do you use?

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Re: Vitamin K2
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 08:29:24 AM »
Lila,
I take Life Extension super K, advanced K2 complex, 2200mcg per day.

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 08:42:17 AM »
Thanks, Jan. I just ordered some.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 09:39:27 AM »
I take the same K2 as Jan but double the dose, since I take very high level D.  I've had wonderful results with the D, which I put in another thread.  For anyone considering this, I did have my D tested and it was seriously low.  I (and, amazingly, my dr now) recommend everyone be tested for D levels.

Janknitz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 04:22:39 PM »
I take Nutrigold MK7, just 100 mcg a day.  I haven't seen anything that suggests such high doses of K2.  I take 3000 D/day. 

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 08:58:54 AM »
I don't take K2 because it thins your blood and they recommend not taking it if you're on Coumadin.

HungryinTN

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 10:00:25 AM »
I was taking the Life Extension Super K, but I've run out and can't afford to replace it.  I haven't noticed any specific negative effects from not taking it anymore, but it may have been that I raised my levels through supplementation and am now maintaining through diet.  Hard to tell.  I only take my D3 occasionally now, too, as I can't afford to replace any of my supps for the foreseeable future. 

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 11:10:25 AM »
Hungry,

The most important supplement is magnesium.  If you can't get enough from your foods, then you really must supplement it.  Fortunately it is not expensive.  Just make sure that you don't purchase magnesium OXIDE because that gives nearly every one loose stools.  Magnesium CITRATE or GLYCINATE are two forms that are easily tolerated.  You will find your mood will improve, attention span and concentration increase, cramps and cravings will decrease and an overall sense of calm will be the result.  All the for the price of 2 or 3 alcoholic drinks or a movie ticket. 

Here's hoping your move goes smoothly.

HungryinTN

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 10:16:59 AM »
Yes I was taking a magnesium supplement as well, but I have run out and I won't have any $ until payday next week unless I manage to sell some belongings.  Not for the price of any alcoholic drinks or any movie tickets.  And my next paycheck is only going to cover my bills and basic living expenses (groceries, gas, toilet paper), with MAYBE $30 leftover if I'm really frugal at the grocery store and walk to work.  I will replace all of my supplements when student loans come in...

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 09:39:09 PM »
One of the reasons butter from grass-fed cows is considered a superfood, is because it a good source of K2.    Your gut bacteria also produces K2 when fermenting fiber (so eat those veggies!)   :)

Janknitz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 08:10:35 PM »
I don't take K2 because it thins your blood and they recommend not taking it if you're on Coumadin.

Vitamin K1 is the blood thinning form of Vitamin K, not K2.  However, I'm not certain of the safety of taking K2 if you are on blood thinners, so don't run off to take it without more research.  You can get K2 from foods that they do NOT tell you to avoid on blood thinners--that's why it's different.

You can get K2 from fermented  vegetables like sauerkraut, pastured dairy cream, butter, and well-aged cheeses, and if you're really brave (it's kind of weird) from natto, which is fermented soy beans. 

This is different than leafy greens you need to avoid on blood thinners. 

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 08:10:35 PM »

Sponsored Links