This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Wheat Belly Book Club  (Read 8014 times)

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Wheat Belly Book Club
« on: June 12, 2014, 02:49:54 PM »
So I've been back for a couple of weeks and in my absence, two new businesses opened....the first, a Yoga, Mind/body/health center where I was asked to do some fill-in teaching this summer.....so when I was dropping off my info the other day, the conversation transitioned into diets etc. and to make a long story short, she asked if I would do a "Wheat Belly Class". I've thought about it and have decided that since I have absolutely no credentials to teach nutrition and still have a long way to go in my own learning curve....I could, possibly facilitate a book club on the subject w/no liability. (This was on the advise of counsel). We're in the process of formatting a mass email and deciding costs etc.....the only thing I insisted was that it cover the cost of the book, the food journal as well as a blood glucose monitor. Their building also includes a huge commercial kitchen and I vision bone-broth preparation and fermenting foods....hmmmmm...

The other was a new health food grocery store.....organic everything and all pastured area meats/cheeses etc. the owners are great and very accommodating. I've shared the Improv'eats wraps and the Miracle noodles with them and they ordered for the store. While they are gluten free, they are not low carb so I'm slowly introducing her to that concept...she's catching on and I noticed she got rid of the Agave syrup already. I stopped in this morning and she asked me to help her come up with a 30 day gluten free menu for customers....I highly doubt it will be low carb but it might be helpful when weaning off wheat. I think my summer will be busier than I thought!

My kanten pasta arrived and am cooking for dinner tonight.....will report back.

scrupulousgirl

• View Profile
Re: Wheat Belly Book Club
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 02:56:38 PM »
Jan, Congratulations on your new endeavors! That is exciting news and sounds like you will definitely be busy! Please continue to share this part of your journey!

Bailey

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 03:32:00 PM »
Actually Bailey, a lot of people on this forum could do a WB book club, even in your own living room! The funny thing is, the copy of WB I keep up here is nowhere to be found....I loaned it out last year and never got it back....now must re-order one for me! :o

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 03:45:12 PM »
Jan, that is GREAT!!!!! Can't wait for you to keep us up to date on both the book club and the health food store. You know, some of this sounds just like what you stated you hoped to do...back when Rita was starting school and encouraging you to do the same. Yay!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 07:17:58 AM »
Great idea Jan - please keep us informed, I might just retire early and do something like this!!  Either that or start my own doggie sitting business, that's been a dream of mine for a while, but then my knees gave out on me.  Now that I have new knees and feel stronger, I might still do that.  Or combine them somehow, lol  :)

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 08:48:44 AM »
What a wonderful thing, Jan.

Bea

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 01:30:10 AM »
Congratulations Jan!

Yes - many of us can share our experiences with WB and provide support and coaching others as they make changes in their lives.

I've been trying to get a new group going in my community. In 2012 the group I ran in the Library was free, this time I want to charge a fee.
It will be part of a series of groups under a general theme of "Taking Charge of Your Health" - a topic I have addressed in talks in the wider community over the 10 plus years since retiring.

This time I will have access to the Internet so can present some snippets of WB videos etc. Also, I have the ebook on my laptop and tablet so I can show people specific pages.

Please keep us posted as you make progress with your classes.

Bea

PattiWheatFree

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 02:23:06 PM »
I don't want to be a stick in the mud, but Wheat Belly is trademarked for use in wellness and nutrition.   Just like you cannot start holding your own Weight Watchers meetings..... Just sayin'

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 05:01:32 PM »
As long as there isn't any profit making involved in your discussion group, then there usually isn't any problem.  When these groups charge a nominal fee to cover expenses (and not for profits), most often it is not enough money to be concerned about.  You can write to Dr. Davis asking his permission to use the Wheat Belly name if you are worried that you are violating the trademark laws. 

If you developed a Wheat Belly Cookie and tried to sell it using the Wheat Belly name or logo, then that becomes a trademark issue. 

PattiWheatFree

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 07:53:24 PM »
I am no lawyer, but I am not sure the amount charged makes a difference.  Maybe she should try to represent the Lifestyle Institute officially.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 05:09:30 AM »
We're not using the "Wheat Belly Book Club" logo.....I coined that merely as a topic here. We sent an email out to their mailing list to see if there was interest in a six week discussion group about the book and since I've been doing this WOE since January 2013 and have a basic knowledge of the strategy, would be happy to facilitate the group. Living smack in the middle of the corn belt, I'm not overly optimistic but we'll see what kind of response we get.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 05:35:06 AM »
Best of luck, Jan, this is a wonderful thing to do.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 08:16:04 AM »
Patti/WheatFree,

You are quite correct in that you aren't knowledgeable as a patent infringement lawyer.  Perhaps Weight Watchers has you sign a non-compete/non-discuss form when you sign up for their for profit program.  I have no idea what they do.  A discussion group based upon the Wheat Belly concept is something quite different.  Even a discussion group of the book is not patent infringement with royalties due.  When I purchased The WB book and both cookbooks, I did not sign any agreement not to discuss this information verbally or in writing.  When published, the information contained becomes part of the public domain and can be discussed and written about as long as credit is given to Dr. Davis. 

Even Bea in Australia is planning a "take charge of your health" series of lectures/discussions where she will most probably be mentioning WB. 

Please do some research before you imply that any of these endeavors by Jan or Bea or anyone else are illegal, patent infringement, have royalties due or even that you must be an official representative of The Lifestyle Institute before you can discuss the topic.  This entire blog site certainly is not illegal and neither are the numerous paleo web sites.  To my knowledge, Rita (who started this blog) is not being sued.  I have not been contacted by any lawyers as of today concerning my constant discussions and recommendations about the WB way of eating.   

PattiWheatFree

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 04:36:03 PM »
There is no patent with Wheat Belly....it is trademarked for use in seminars and workshops in health and wellness category.    Quite a different thing.  So you aren't much of a legal adviser either, lol.  To use the words Wheat Belly to the general public to solicit interest in coming in and paying a small fee "to cover costs" to hold a class or workshop on the principles of Wheat Belly really smacks of a violation to me.  Again, just sayin'

PattiWheatFree

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 04:43:41 PM »
P.S.  I think it has more to do with using the trademarked name to bring people in versus just merely talking about it or mentioning it.  Not trying to cause trouble.   Heck some people are selling recipe books on Amazon with WB in the title.  Unbelievable!!!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 04:54:19 PM »
Patti,
I think you misunderstand.....I'm doing this gratis, it's not about the money....I just want to help spread the word. It's merely a discussion of the book's content and my personal experience with this WOE....as well as any support and anything worthy (especially revelations from this group) I've learned along the way.

I've belonged to various book discussion clubs in my lifetime and no author, to date, has ever sued us for discussing their book!

As Ghandi said, "you need to be the change you want to see in the world".....and that's the way I choose to live....and if that infringes on anyone's copyrights, then so be it....

PattiWheatFree

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 05:37:45 PM »
Okay, what got my attention was "Wheat Belly Class" and "mass email" and "determining costs."     That is quite different from just book club among friends, that's all.   You do mention having counsel....you might mention to him or her that WB is trademarked.  Good luck!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 08:45:28 PM »
I've been in 2 trademark battles, so I know a little.   It's mainly an issue if it's used for commercial purposes.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 06:22:56 AM »
Jan and Bea,

That Gandhi quote:  "You need to be the change you want to see in the world"  is spot on! 

All of us are comparing notes, trying new recipes and foods, other nutrients and ways of improving our health.  We've been led down the garden path by our government, businesses and medical community.  Because we are finally understanding the realities of this situation and finding an open and honest way to deal with it, we, as a group, can't let fear and bullying stop us. 

We are seeking and finding clean, humanely raised meats and chemical free produce.  We are reversing our health issues and demanding more than drugged maintenance from our health care system.  In just the 18 months since reading WB and not eating grains and sugars, I've seen tremendous changes everywhere, all to my/our benefit.  These changes could not have happened without all of us changing our old thought patterns and demanding truth and openness from our government, businesses and medical community.  Expect the entrenched community to fight back with their usual fear based dogma.  Don't fall for it.  WBB has had many trolls.  The fact that we are experiencing these naysayers just shows how much we are really affecting the profitability of many companies. 

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 08:17:31 AM »
Agree Barbara......this forum has been an excellent motivator for me to explore all kinds of things related to becoming healthy.....I learn something new every day!

BTW....thanks to you all, I am reviewing all our recipe posts to come up with a 30 day gluten-free diet menu that the local health food store wants to have available as a hand-out. What a wealth of information we have.....Amazing!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 05:15:33 AM »
Update on the book club.....there was zero interest.  A few people wrote questioning what 'Wheat Belly' was about as they had never heard of it. I found that very odd as well as disturbing and may be a reflection of living in the corn-belt. The good news is that I ordered a few more used copies from Amazon and am circulating them at the yoga studio, along with 'Grain Brain', 'Big Fat Surprise' and a few others.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 07:57:25 AM »
Jan, I am so sorry to hear about your book club not taking off yet. I feel what you want to do is a great thing.  Do you think being surrounded by all the grains might really be part of the reason?  I find it puzzling but then I grew up in CA with all those radical left wing fringies and 3/4    of the nations veggie supply, so I really don't understand. Leaving books and recipes will help someone, hopefully you'll hear from them.  Don't give up, someone who needs you will be listening.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2014, 08:03:28 AM »
Jan.

You are sowing the seeds.  Having free recipes is a great idea to increase interest in grain and sugar free living.  You never know who and what ideas you will trigger. 

Linda R

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2014, 09:09:30 AM »
Update on the book club.....there was zero interest.  A few people wrote questioning what 'Wheat Belly' was about as they had never heard of it. I found that very odd as well as disturbing and may be a reflection of living in the corn-belt. The good news is that I ordered a few more used copies from Amazon and am circulating them at the yoga studio, along with 'Grain Brain', 'Big Fat Surprise' and a few others.

I think you are probably right.
Here in Iowa, at least, corn is king!
Obesity is everywhere.
People LIVE for the weeks when the Iowa State Fair is in progress and the food served there is atrocious, but when we see the local news reporters doing their thing, they are surrounded by huge bellies and guts.
Newton Race track on a weekend for the races?
More crappy food!

Right now RAGBRAI is going on, a bike riding get-together from one side of Iowa to the other, with several towns scheduled for breaks, food and tent sites as they travel during the entire week.
Food?
Pies, cookies, cake, doughnuts, sugar, flour, sugar, flour, sugar...................................

Visit WalMart and see battery operated carts everywhere with 90% obese people operating them.

Makes me want to cry.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2014, 09:37:33 AM »
>Visit WalMart and see battery operated carts everywhere with 90% obese people operating them.<

So true, Linda.  I've noticed the people who really look like they have a condition that could use a cart are hobbling around getting some exercise.  Or is it just that the carts are gone?  Oh, and those carts are full of wheat.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2014, 09:37:33 AM »

Sponsored Links