This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: One year status report  (Read 4964 times)

HungryinTN

One year status report
« on: June 17, 2014, 11:50:41 AM »
It has been one year to the day (or maybe tomorrow?) since I gave up wheat and started on my new journey.  One year ago today, my weight was at about 223, body fat about 47% (if I remember correctly), measurements about 49-41-48, or something in that ballpark (I know I recorded them somewhere but can't find it right now).  I was wearing a snug size 18 and laboring to breathe.  I could  barely go up and down stairs, and I just felt generally ill and swollen all over.  I was smoking, drinking every day, and generally ate garbage.  Today, I am down to about 170 (see-sawing between 169-173, I think), my waist is under 35 inches (lost my tape measure - but I know my size 14 jeans are way too big), and I have more energy and a greater sense of well-being at 31 than I ever did in my twenties.  I can run up and down the stairs without trouble, tie my shoes comfortably, and my body is ready to meet any challenge.  Today I am wearing a bra I wore when I was 24.  I think it's a 38C.  It doesn't really fit (I was last measured at a 36G), but a few months ago I couldn't fasten it, and it feels more supportive than any of my newer ones that are all way too big. 

To anyone who questions this lifestyle because of the response of  vitriolic, sponsorship-driven media, I say just try it.  If you've tried everything else, and you feel like there is no other route than a life of meds and doctors, just give the Wheatbelly/Paleo lifestyle an honest-to-goodness chance.  I've seen many of my friends and loved ones set themselves up for failure because they "cheated" when they hadn't really even gotten started.  It seems like a tall order to give up an entire "food group," but once you've done it, and broken your chains, you'll find that none of what you've given up was really food to begin with.  Giving up wheat and sugar and ultimately grains completely changed my relationship to food.  I no longer have insatiable hunger and cravings.  I no longer eat until I'm stuffed to the brim.  I eat for nourishment and nourishing food brings me joy, rather than momentary pleasure.  But as long as you allow wheat and sugar even a minimal place in your diet, your pleasure switch will always stay on, requiring constant attention, creating that constant, gnawing hunger that so many of us live with every day.  But it doesn't have to be that way.  I never ever ever thought I could get over my food addiction, but now I have to force myself to eat more than once a day.  It's a whole new world.
[If you've tried and it you feel like it's not working, of course, you may need to look at underlying health issues, or just take a closer look at your diet as well as personal products (shampoos, toothpaste, face wash, etc. - all of these can be hidden sources of gluten and other toxins keeping you from optimal health, as anything you put on your skin ends up in the liver!) before dismissing the diet as a failure.] 

Summary of life changes:
Weight lost: about 53 pounds (about thirty to go)
Inches lost from waist:  about 8?
Dress size: from 18 to 12
BP: from critically high to low-normal
Emotional well being:  From anxious and ADD to calm and focused
Physical well being:  From pain stepping off a curb to running up and down the stairs, carrying heavy boxes

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: One year status report
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 12:16:22 PM »
What wonderful news!  A testimony to this way of eating.  All those health benefits you mentioned are just starting.  Imagine where you will be next year at this time.   :)

Why don't you write WBB with your story.  Not only the weight loss, but your attitudes towards food, your self esteem and the huge improvements in your health and mood.  Dr. Davis really likes to publish these success stories.

Linda R

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 01:49:39 PM »
What wonderful news!  A testimony to this way of eating.  All those health benefits you mentioned are just starting.  Imagine where you will be next year at this time.   :)

Why don't you write WBB with your story.  Not only the weight loss, but your attitudes towards food, your self esteem and the huge improvements in your health and mood.  Dr. Davis really likes to publish these success stories.

I was going to suggest the same thing to you.
Your summary is so well written, concise, and helpful to new-comers or those sitting on the fence.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 02:54:17 PM »
That is a fabulous story.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 04:14:02 PM »
Yes, and send photos!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 09:28:36 PM »
WOW!   Good for you Hungry!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 06:16:54 AM »
Hungry makes a valid point, most of the food groups we give up never were real food. Zoe Harcomb points that you shouldn't have to mention your food is real.

scrupulousgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 06:46:16 AM »
Congratulations, Hungry! So proud of and excited for you!

Bailey

Mistyblue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 06:25:18 PM »
Wow...that is wonderful results!

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 09:53:50 AM »
You go girl! Thanks for your great story of success. You rock!

VibeRadiant

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 08:40:49 AM »
I realise I'm a bit late to this celebration but it dawned on me that maybe your name doesn't quite fit any more. Perhaps LoosingitinTN or ThininTN or NolongerhungryinTN...  :o

Congrats Hungry, you are an inspiration.

HungryinTN

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 08:28:10 PM »
Ha!  Yeah.  But I still have my food issues, believe me.  If I didn't, I'd be 120 by now!  But for what it's worth, I'm pretty happy with myself at 170, so frack it. 

VibeRadiant

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 04:10:31 AM »
I still have my food issues, believe me. 

Don't we all?

Frack it is right!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 05:45:01 AM »
You're both doing fracking great!!!!!  :)

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 05:45:01 AM »

Sponsored Links