This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Attending a conference; this is why people are fat  (Read 3135 times)

Randal

• View Profile
Attending a conference; this is why people are fat
« on: June 17, 2014, 04:56:39 PM »
I'm attending a conference this week. I work in tech, so it's mostly men; middle-aged men primarily. Such a high proportion have the typical wheat belly. Way too many have that heart-attack zone paunch of 30-60 pounds of fat around the waist, hanging over the belt, and engulfing the internal organs.

Normally when I travel for work, I'm alone or with one other person, so I have much more control over what I eat. This time I'm with a team, and we have all these events to attend. Lunch is provided at the conference. It's not food so much as People Chow. Lots of bread, pasta, and carbs with sauces. I left and walked across the street to get a $15 salad.

Last night, we watched the soccer game (USA!) before heading to a ball game. Naturally we watched at a sports bar. Lots of beer and of course "apps." Remember the days before apps? Now, it's customary to load up on calorie-heavy completely-unhealthy food. I can't believe people eat sliders; what a ripoff. Reduce the amount of meat and add bigger buns. Don't get me started on nachos. Chicken wings are fine - unless you bread them and fry them. And of course lots of beer. I ate and drank nothing, until getting back to the hotel and buying some almonds and tuna fish from the shoppette.

Tonight is a party at a brewery. I'll have a couple ciders, forsaking the regular fast-digesting beer carbs. (The cider probably isn't much better carbs-wise, but at least I can avoid grains.)

The funny thing is, despite taking in probably 1/3 of the calories I normally take in each day, I'm not that hungry. But I see why it's so easy for people to get fat by going along with the crowd... because the crowd has been deceived into thinking the SAD is the way you're supposed to eat.

Bea

• View Profile
Re: Attending a conference; this is why people are fat
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 05:17:54 PM »
Congratulations Randall - It's not easy to survive conferences wheat/grain free. 

When I book to attend a seminar or go on a tour,  I also phone and tell them I am grain free, and ask what they can provide for my meals. I also ask about protein - no gravy on roast meats etc - but insist on some protein. Sometimes this doesn't quite work - on a 2 week tour I was served the same salad - tomato and greek cheese salad for every lunch!

Routinely, I carry nuts. And buy an avocado to carry if I can find one.

Sometimes I am served the carb laden "gluten free" - but that just means I eat only a very small portion.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 10:19:39 AM »
Good use of will power, Randal.  We went out to dinner last night and they served each meal on a platter large enough to serve all four of us.  Across from us was a family who ordered a drink that looked like a giant margarita with two beer bottles stuck into it.  I was so relieved to see him share with his wife! They finished that and a platter apiece, the kids, too.  There were enough calories for this entire forum for a day. 

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 01:28:43 PM »
I grabbed some lunch with co-workers. They all got big sandwiches, while I grabbed a garden salad with chicken salad. (The chicken salad was possibly the best I've had in 20 years.) One of my co-workers made a dig at me; I just smiled, because he's the one with all the inflammation-related disorders.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 03:17:21 PM »
Randal,

If you start thinking about those people who poke fun at you and what you eat, just try to remember that this is probably their way of flattery or just that person being uncomfortable with your success and good health while they are looking every bit of their age and suffering declining health.
Don't even expect them to be in a good mood! 

When I am ridiculed or laughed at or put down, I shrug it off with a smile while I am thinking: their "grain brains" are showing!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 08:51:21 AM »
The old 'misery loves company' thing.  It seems human nature works very hard to keep that company, too.  I guess any time, for any reason, that we are different from the group, it triggers an attack of some kind.  It's a weird compliment to your success. Keep it up and the group may change.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 10:18:04 AM »
Lynda,

It occurred to me that "the group" who relishes the putdowns and demeaning remarks needs to go through their own health and emotional upheavals before they can be genuinely happy for someone who is in an upward health spiral.  They must really take responsibility for themselves and not put it off on their doctors/meds and US Government.  They refuse to understand the big business/profit centers of US medicine, from insurance, attitude and services.  The medical machine will try to keep you in their clutches and request billable services based on fear with little thought to your getting better, just more tests and drugs and doctor visits.

The overweight, diabetic or pre-diabetic diabetic population eats an astounding number of carbohydrates daily, like Randal mentioned.  When you consider we strive for 15 carbs per meal, 50 carbs for the entire day, most of the meals served in restaurants, fast food places, frozen and take-out have hundreds of carbs for just that meal.  If these people aren't sick yet, they will be soon.  Our expensive medical system won't cure them.
Their bad mood and negative thinking become the norm as their health worsens. 

Why should they feel happy for you when their own circumstances are really self imposed, but delicious, misery caused by poor diets.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 02:00:05 PM »
You are so right, Barbara.  I don't think the nasty feeling they just aren't cutting it helps, either.  It doesn't feel good to know you trusted the wrong thing or person and didn't do enough work on the problem.  The overwhelming amount of work ahead of some of them doesn't help, either.  The joy and self confidence they get from finally succeeding is wonderful to see, though.  I probably wouldn't have had any success if it hadn't become literally painful to stay that way.  Finding this forum helped a lot, as well; kept me focused. (Knowing my doctor was relatively useless was not helpful.)  Randal, keep modeling a better way out there!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 02:58:05 PM »
Lynda,

We, as individuals, reach a point where we realize that our doctors aren't helping us and we don't feel well.  This makes for high strung, crabby people who make foolish decisions about their lives and others around them.  Once you say "no, I am not going to feel this way or worse for the rest of my life, then you begin the journey to better health.

Because we are now grain and sugar free, our joints don't ache, we have more stamina, are pain free or at least having less pain.  We are relaxed and smile more, etc. etc.  our lives run smoother because we are thinking clearer.  I see the behavior and misery in my extended family.   Everyone is on some kind of med.  Let them laugh and mock me!  I'm pain free and smiling.  They have a choice of what they place in their mouths, just like I do.  Some people take a long time to learn this.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 03:43:46 PM »
It's always been my motto to not worry too much about those that are not me. ;)

Janknitz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 06:54:20 PM »
I was listening to a Living La Vida Low Carb podcast interview with a 10 year old boy with Type I diabetes.  He describes attending a fund raiser for the AMERICAN DIABETES ASSOCATION that involved a bike ride.  He was shocked that the food served was all carbs--cookies, cake, candy, Gatorade, and juice, etc.  I guess they're trying to recruit new members.   ;)

I wouldn't expect a tech conference to understand or be concerned about nutrition, but the ADA???

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 08:21:54 PM »
It is so hard to be at conferences/workshops. Tonight the participants at my higher ed leadership institute cruised Boston Harbor. Lots of beer/wine, food choices included salad (with super sweet dressing), an eggplant parmesan casserole thing, breaded and baked haddock. Not much to eat so I just nibbled. They had been doing a really good job trying to accommodate my meals but not so good tonight. The eggplant said "gluten free" but definitely wasn't sugar free and low carb.

But there's a Trader Joe's and Whole Foods nearby so I can eat simple food over the weekend. And walk. I have been walking 6-8 miles per day, something for which I'm pretty proud!

Mostly proud that I can actually do it!! This would not have been true a year ago.

One more week and I'll be a "Harvard graduate"!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2014, 07:44:23 AM »
Lila, you should be extremely proud.  What you have accomplished is truly amazing.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2014, 08:13:55 AM »
Hi Lila,

Good for you!  Give yourself a hug!

The caterer for Harvard Events sure needs a letter to be sent to management.  This way of eating is not so difficult that an accommodation can't be made.  You should not have to go to Trader Joes for food to eat because your meal was lettuce!  You can be sure that there  are others like you attending the conference.  If they're baking or pan frying the breaded haddock, they could have broiled or baked a non breaded piece.  Olive oil and vinegar for salad dressing is not too difficult for a caterer.  With more people indicating that grain free and sugar free are dietary requirements, the caterers will start being responsible.  They are used to having no one comment on their food which gives them freedom to do what they are doing to you….. getting paid for food they are not serving.  I'm not one to make a fuss, yet I've attended many charitable or other events that my meal was grain and sugar free upon request.  I would speak to the caterer and compliment them on their accommodations on my behalf.  Most often their response was:  a child with a severe food allergy taught them the importance of making sure your meal was grain and sugar free, not wanting to be sued or have someone keeling over and needing an ambulance (bad for business!) and finally that there are many requests for this so they always have these foods readily available. 

And congrats about the Harvard training!   8)

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2014, 08:33:24 AM »
I am fortunate that the hotel has a refrigerator. Agreed about the Whole Paycheck thing---I had breakfast there today and was amazed at how expensive eggs and bacon could be. I think I will just eat at the hotel buffet tomorrow. At least then I can get eggs cooked to order. But the bacon probably won't be uncured nor the eggs cage free.

Beautiful day in the Boston area, though.

enthuz

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 11:15:12 AM »
Wow, I am one of those tech guys at the conferences. I had the same issues. I learned to use the fridge and go shopping at the local grocery stores. I also developed relationships with the area chefs, so that I can ask for my food cooked a certain way without resistance. Stay strong and diligent.
Wheat Free & Loving It!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 04:00:46 PM »
Why are we surprised that most countries in this world are knee deep in junk food? We, the taxpayers, spend billions in farm subsidies so that Big-Agra commodity brokers can flood the markets with cheap food...all at our expense.

MissMel

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2014, 11:13:56 PM »
Speaking of junk food, I'm traveling to North Dakota for a shopping trip soon and when I've asked people if there's anything I can buy for them my requests so far have been for junk food like cake mixes and Cookie Crisp cereal (which is not sold in Canada) *slaps forehead*

What's also interesting is that clothing sizes run larger in the US. Therefore I feel skinnier in your country lol.

Happy Canada Day by the way  :)

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2014, 11:13:56 PM »

Sponsored Links