This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: The trouble with special dietary instructions...  (Read 1118 times)

Lila

• View Profile
The trouble with special dietary instructions...
« on: June 18, 2014, 07:22:19 PM »
I'm at a two week institute at Harvard and I had several emails from the organizers about my dietary requirements prior to coming. While I have enjoyed some of the choices they have made such as sugar free deviled eggs and boiled eggs--cage free--strawberries & blueberries with unsweetened whipped cream, and many gluten-free, albeit not necessarily low carb, selections. A lot of chicken.

So far my "special" lunches have been HUGE boxes of lettuce. This afternoon's snack was another salad.  Yesterday there is no way I could put a dent in the lettuce. The unrestricted meal was a variety of very nice sandwiches and I could have just taken some meat off the sandwich. I told them that I really didn't eat snacks much, but they're making sure I have something, even if I end up not eating it.

Honestly, if I had to eat this all the time I would not be able to stick with it. Clearly they are making an outstanding effort, but also clearly they don't know how to make a restricted diet the least bit interesting. Part of me wishes I hadn't told them I needed anything special and then I could pick and choose as appropriate.

Tomorrow night I will go to Legal Seafoods for a nice seafood dinner.

A positive thing is that the weather has cooperated and I've been able to walk the 1.5 miles (each way) from my hotel to the Graduate School of Education campus. Over 12K steps per day, according to my fitbit.

VibeRadiant

Re: The trouble with special dietary instructions...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 11:11:27 AM »
I feel for you Lila. People hear restricted diet, gluten free, or whatever and they connect that to salads and dieting.   I just don't tell anyone any more and that saves a lot of hassle. 

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 03:34:40 PM »
I have flown both Delta- and United- affiliated airlines to and from China. When you request a gluten-free meal, they still serve it with a bread roll on the side. They just don't get it.

VR, you're right about connecting that to dieting. The typical GF meal contains a couple servings of fruit, a rice cake, and a generous portion of rice with the main meal. The person next to me on the flight over here had a diabetic meal and it was loaded with carbs.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 04:19:42 PM »
It's an upward battle that's for sure, but not a losing one.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 04:19:42 PM »

Sponsored Links