This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Be careful with sake; it might be made with grains and wheat!  (Read 1040 times)

Randal

• View Profile
The other night I was out to dinner with co-workers for sushi (mostly sashimi for me) and we did a couple of shots of sake.

The next morning I was experiencing my usual side-effects of having been wheated and I couldn't figure out the culprit until I thought about the sake. I had assumed the sake would be safe; it's just wine made from rice. But I went to The Google and quickly found that for the reasons of cheaper production and taste (and probably pleasure / addiction), it may be made with barley, wheat, and soy (just like so many other products). Son of a gun! I won't be making that mistake again.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Be careful with sake; it might be made with grains and wheat!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 12:54:27 PM »
Ohhhh Randal. I would never have thought of that. We really like sake but seldom have the opportunity to order it out. We haven't had any since we went wheat free. Good to know...

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 03:32:21 PM »
I'm glad you posted that.  Who would have known?  Wonder what other products are out there that we assume have no wheat in them.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 06:29:14 PM »
Randal,

Good to know about the saki.  I guess this is just another drink to double check on the source of ingredients. 
The other thing is that any raw fish is soaked in an antibiotic solution or fungicide of some sort.  That could have contributed to your reaction.  Where the seafood came from is also important. It most probably was farmed in filthy waters in Asia.  Remember that any seafood in a hard shell eats by filtering the water they live in, absorbing the krill along with everything else in the water.

Goes to show that the cleaner your body is, the more it reacts to ingredients which aren't natural and are stressful for your body to utilize.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 09:53:13 AM »
Wow, that just ruins a classic!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 09:53:13 AM »

Sponsored Links