This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: One day at a time ...  (Read 51389 times)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
One day at a time ...
« on: June 22, 2014, 07:02:42 AM »
Forgive the longwinded way I have of writing, I do ramble quite a bit, and like to write whatever comes to mind.  I feel like I'm unraveling lately, and have to find a way to catch myself, this place has been a help, just because it gives me motivation and hope, to read other peoples journeys and how they got back on the wagon. 

That's how I see life right now ... one day at a time.  I had been doing really well after my surgery, last April.  Had both knees replaced, and lost 20 lbs in the process, living extremely grain and sugar free.  It was amazing how inflammation and pain where reduced, once I was living very "clean".  Oh, no alcohol either, I only drink wine, occasionally gluten free beer, but even the small amounts seem to bother me greatly right now. 

Because the small amounts can get out of hand, easily  when stress and fatigue come into play.  That's what has been happening for a while now, and two weeks ago, I sort of "let go", something I hadn't done in a long time.  Letting carbs and grains and more alcohol sneak in, and do their toxic deed. 

Work has become toxic to me also, and some family issues have also been heavily on my mind.  I'm sandwiched between my mother and my daughter.  Mom,  who will be 84 this year, and while still living on her own, is getting very fragile and scared to live alone.  I have always known that one day this would happen, but she's been so independent all her life, in spite of an obvious borderline bi-polar issue.  But she was very functional, living in her condo, with access to everything she needed, by foot.  She doesn't drive, but had 3 friends in her little complex, who drove and kept her busy with social engagements and friendship.   Everything else she could get to by walking, which is so healthy.  In the past year, 2 of her friends passed away, and the third is very ill, and it's depressing her so much.  My sister lives close to her, and she sees her almost daily, takes her shopping, to the bank, the doctor etc.  but recently, my Mom has been begging me to move in with me, and of course I had to tell her that will not be possible, unless I quit work.  I do have a nice room for her, with her own bathroom etc, and we talked about this in the past, but it's not as easy now that it's staring me in the face.  There is nothing in walking distance to my house, except for the lake, and she would be bored, and not really safe here, with all the stairs - it's a 4 story townhouse, I do have a small personal elevator, but she is scared to use it alone.

Then my daughter, she is wonderful and accomplished, and has the almost 11 month little son - my precious grandson - who is a very active little boy, curious, bright and doesn't sleep much, so she is worn out from taking care of him, and I can tell she is dealing with some depression, mostly from lack of sleep.   I step in often to baby sit, and love it, but have to admit, it also wears me out.  Because I have to go to work the next day.  She's a stay at home Mom, but they just moved into a big new house, and got the old house ready for sale, it was just listed, and I know things will slow down now.  She told me last week, she feels like she's drowning ….  :-[

Just to say, the last few weeks have been a bit too much, even for me.  I'm pretty strong, but have noticed that I don't take care of myself very well, when others need me this much …  And then work, to top it off, things have gotten very stressful - we saw this coming, but nobody did anything about it, and now we are in the middle of big mess with customers, production folks working 24/7 and most of salaried folks expected to be there on the weekend, to say everyone is in bad mood is putting it nicely.

So here I am, wanting to take some time off, to move my Mom in with me, and see how it goes.  I went to the doctor with her last week, and got a letter from him, requesting this, so I can take it to HR and request the FMLA.  But I haven't had the heart to tell my boss, because every day brings new conflict and needed action, everything has to be handled in the moment, and I know he needs me there to keep things organized.

Big sigh …..

I caught myself last week though, I had to, it was getting very painful.  My knees and hips started hurting, my feet and ankles very swollen, breathing difficult going up stairs etc. So I put an abrupt end to it all, and have dropped most of the water weight I had accumulated.  Not sure if the bacon had anything to do with it, it might have just been another drop in the bucket, but I as I mentioned elsewhere it's not something I should be eating.

What helps me immediately is to eat nothing but protein and fat, so I got some nice fatty rib eyes and that's pretty much all I eat.  Along with greens and some very low carb veggies, with Kerrygold butter.  I also ate some butter as a snack, and it all did the trick, along with drinking lots of water and herbal tea, I make a pitcher and keep it in the fridge to drink cold.  These little things are such a help, I need to go shopping at Costco today, for eggs and cream etc. to have the good stuff on hand, and prep my food for next week.

Another thing I have been working on is a retirement party for a coworker, it's been fun, but also a bit of a worry, because we are doing it up big, in a German restaurant, and we know what that means.  Too much food and drink.  I might not go, it's been in the back of my mind, too much temptation at this fragile time.

I hope with the help and support of this group, I can keep myself going in the right direction, now more than ever, I need to take care of myself.  Esp. with the supplements, that's an easy one to skip when you're busy running in all directions, and I need the reminders and confirmation to do the right thing.

Thanks for all and any advice or helpful hints in dealing with all this stuff.  I know it will get better, my dream right now would be to rent a house at the beach for a month and pack up my Mom and just stay there, letting my daughter and sister and their families come visit, but rest of the time, just hanging and taking care of her and getting some sunshine and fresh Ocean air, cooking very healthy and giving us both a chance to relax.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: One day at a time ...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 07:35:59 AM »
BarbinNC,

You are in a tough spot.  There is no easy answer.  However, I would suggest you read the work of Carolyn Dean M.D. who wrote The Magnesium Miracle and many other books.  Just google her name.  She is quite well respected and writes many columns.  She talks about magnesium and how we are all not absorbing enough from the pills we supplement and how our soil is too depleted to obtain this and other minerals from our foods.  Magnesium is involved with 600+ chemical processes in your body, too many for this blog format.
She has developed her own brand, liquid and picometer sized so it is easily absorbable by everyone. http://www.ReMag.com and http://www.ReLyte.com which will provide your body with all the magnesium and minerals it has been craving.  Your Mother and your Daughter could benefit too.

Not only will your stamina increase, but your mood will improve, clearer thinking and focusing increases, you sleep better and so forth.  Certainly worth researching.  Dr. Dean developed this because she wasn't absorbing the pills she was taking until she got the size down to picometer and this was easily absorbed.  The drops are simple to use and no gagging on a lot of pills!  Much better absorbed than even ionic liquid formulations.

This generational sandwich is difficult.  Been there!  I just wish I had known about these drops years ago.   

HungryinTN

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 08:19:25 AM »
I know it will get better, my dream right now would be to rent a house at the beach for a month and pack up my Mom and just stay there, letting my daughter and sister and their families come visit, but rest of the time, just hanging and taking care of her and getting some sunshine and fresh Ocean air, cooking very healthy and giving us both a chance to relax.

I have the same dream for taking care of my mother right now, though she's only 64 instead of 84.  But she's had some serious health trials and has lost her independence and is very depressed.  While at the same time my sister, in her late thirties, has been trying unsuccessfully to conceive for several years and it is taking a toll on her.  My father is just plain unhealthy, with all of the medications and illnesses that come with a lifetime of SAD.  And my boyfriend has lost both his father and his stepfather in the past few weeks, and like my father takes very poor care of himself, including smoking (but thankfully not drinking, which is my vice of choice...).  Family is stressful, no doubt!

It sounds to me like you're handling a very stressful situation as well as humanly possible.  You recognize now how much harder it is to deal with when you're not taking care of yourself, despite the fact that it is so easy to give in to temptation and convenience when you're going through so much.  Just pick your poison, so to speak, and be conscious of everything you put into your body.  Own your choices, don't be owned by them.  And always remember that this too shall pass. 

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 09:55:40 AM »
Wow, BarbinNC, you have a tremendous load to handle.  Just be sure to pamper yourself as much as possible.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 11:21:39 AM »
Back from shopping, got all my goodies. 

Barbara - thanks for reinforcing the magnesium and what a fabulous idea to get them in liquid form!!  One of the many idiosyncrasies of my Mom is the fact that she will not take medication or supplements.  She's actually pretty healthy for her age, aside from her mental issues.  Very paranoid and can be very mean, then forgets about it, typical for bipolar.  So the drops would be great to give to her without her knowledge, esp. if they calm her down and assuage her many fears.  And do away with the imagined side effects.  GREAT info and thanks so much.  Just ordered them and found an online book by Carolyn Dean, have it in pdf and will read asap.

HiT - I've been reading your posts, and you do have your hands full with family also, so you can empathize with my situation.  I can retire early, which is lucky, and we are all comfortable financially, so it's not a hardship.  I can always go back to work part time down the road if I choose to.  Would love to find something fun to do, be around fun people who enjoy what they are doing, not just in it for the money.

And thanks Lynda, it has been quite a year, and once I struggle through and make some decisions, I will be much better.  I love having the possibility of taking a leave, instead of quitting my job altogether, and we are going to keep my Mom's condo, until I'm sure we can work it out. She is not easy to be around 24/7 - that's for sure.  My sister is much more laid back and tolerant than I am, I get upset in the moment, and have stricter boundaries which my Mom knows, so she does behave better around me.

Oh well, I have to get some food prepared, and might go visit my daughter later on, she is cleaning today, and seems to be feeling much better.  What a difference a good night's sleep makes!!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 12:17:10 PM »
I read in some of Carolyn Dean's info that whatever magnesium you are not absorbing is eliminated in loose stools. That must be why I couldn't tolerate magnesium capsules. It appears I must not have been absorbing any at all.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 05:37:03 PM »
I'm feeling so much better today.  Got up this morning and lost 10 lbs since last Tuesday.  Now I"m still up the 20 I put on over the past 7 months, but at least that bloating water weight is gone.  It just is such a relief!

And I talked to my boss this morning, letting him know I want to take a leave of absence.  He seemed ok with it, but then he can be teflon man.  I think most managers at his level have to be, how else could they deal with all the stress and pressure.  Anyway, I'm on my way to getting some time off, and my Mom is very happy.  It will still take a week or two, have to get the paperwork in, and find someone to take my place, we have someone in mind, I hope she agrees to do it.  At least part time.

My daughter stopped by when I came home from work, with my little sweetness, I played with him, and he laughed and snuggled, and it also made me feel really good.  I look forward to having more time to spend with them as well.

What a difference a day makes!  :)

I had some fresh caught Atlantic Cod fish for dinner, just sautιed it as is in lots of Kerry Gold, and the baby ate some of it.  It flakes up nicely, and had no bones, so I let him eat as much as he liked.  He has 8 little teeth now, and "chews" the little bites we put in his mouth, with them ...

I just can't get over how cute he is!!!! hahahaa

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 03:39:46 PM »
Thanks for the info on liquid magnesium Barbara.....I've been taking a rather large pill and find myself more and more resistant to taking it.....it gets stuck in my throat! Am ordering the liquid.....

HungryinTN

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 07:30:10 PM »
I've been taking a rather large pill and find myself more and more resistant to taking it.....it gets stuck in my throat!

My mother has the same problem.  I'll have to remember to recommend the liquid to her!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 07:57:55 PM »
The really special thing about ReMag and ReLyte is that they are indeed absorbed much better than even ionic magnesium and minerals.  After finishing a bottle of pills, I purchased the ionic Trace Minerals brand and was using that when I began reading Dr. Dean's articles and ordered her products.  Felt the difference in a few days!  It is now just over a month and I won't go back to either the pills or ionic drops.  I guess I was really deficient in these minerals despite eating lots of greens and other magnesium rich foods. 

It is just so easy to use the dropper and place this into a smoothie or drink.  Doesn't have much of a taste either so it is easy to "hide" whatever taste it does have.  The bottles last for several months so they are quite cost effective when compared to the smaller containers of over the counter products which don't work nearly as well. 

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 08:31:07 PM »
That's a lot going on.   A great thing you can do for yourself is to have relaxing meals.   Make that your time.   No worrying allowed.  It'll also help the body get into 'rest and digest' mode, rather than 'fight or flight' mode.   It's been interesting to learn how the physiology of our bodies change with stress.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 01:46:40 PM »
I took the afternoon off.  Well, I went shopping for work, mostly the retirement party, and had an extra hour so decided to go home.  It feels so good!!  :)

I've been feeling so much better, it's hard to describe.  When I eat badly and forget my supplements, it's like there is always something in the back of my mind, I was supposed to do, and I feel quite guilty.  Will try hard to not let that happen again.

My snacks and lunches so far this week have been:  (drum roll)  AVOCADO!  What a neat little snack/meal.  All packed in it's own container, just cut open and spoon it out.  With a little salt and pepper, really just very delicious.  They are an acquired taste, have to admit it took me a while to be able to eat them naked like that, and I do usually make a simple guacamole, but now I just eat the half around 10 am and then the other one around 11:30.  Since I'm at work by 7:30 am, and don't eat breakfast, just my Espresso with heavy cream, I am ready for something around that time. 

Dinner will be leftover pork chop with hunter sauce "Jaegerschnitzel" for those who speak German.  It's just so yummy!!  I got another pork loin from Costco on the weekend, and cut it up into chops yesterday.  I freeze most of them and share with my daughter.  The juicy end pieces I either make Gulasch, or I bread them with almond flour and fry in butter, or like yesterday, sautee them until nice and brown, then remove from pan and either stir in some dijon mustard, tomato paste and heavy cream, making a nice sauce.  Sometimes, like yesterday, I sautee some chopped onion and sliced mushrooms, add some multicolored peppers (I buy them frozen now, that way I don't let them rot in the fridge to throw away …) and then the cream.  Add the pork chops back in, and voila!

I have the leave paperwork rolling, of course it will take some time, anything in this company takes time, if it involves HR.  But I hope to be out of there for a month by middle of July, that's my plan.  My Mom is looking forward to it, but oh my she is a mess right now, I pray that I have the patience to endure her in the long run, just don't know.  I can't even begin to explain, you have to live it, to really get the brunt of how annoying she really is.  Hate to say that about my Mom, but oh boy, she is out there in la la land, and not in a good way.   :-\

I am still losing, slower now of course, but I can tell in clothing, and that is big.  Even my shoes are getting big again, love that feeling.  8)

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 04:16:21 PM »
I LOVE AVOCADOS!!!!!

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 07:09:57 PM »
As you were...

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 04:32:59 AM »
I LOVE AVOCADOS TOO!!!!

haha

Hi Bill - At Ease!!

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 09:41:54 AM »
Well, I too can enjoy an avocado on occasion.
Like every morning at breakfast, every evening
at dinner, and occasionally as a snack.

Okay, I admit it.  I LOVE AVOCADOS!

I've always wanted an avocado tree in my yard.
I've planted a couple, but moved away before
they produced.  There's an avocado tree between
my house and my neighbors'.  They said it never
produced in the 20 years they've lived here.  I
suggested some judicious pruning, which they
did.  Low and behold, this year there are hundreds
of big delicious avocados all over the tree.  They
said take as many as I want.  WOO HOOO!

Let me just regain my composure here...

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 11:32:34 AM »
WOW Bill!!!!! Very exciting! They are so expensive.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 12:51:30 PM »
Lucky you Bill!

They must taste really sweet and buttery being so fresh. 

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 07:49:04 PM »
I'm jealous - would love an avocado tree!  What climate do they grow in?  We do get snow and below freezing for short periods of time here in NC, so not sure if it would survive. 

A coworker showed me pictures of his Banana trees today, lol … they grew to 6 feet in 2 months!  Not sure if they will bear fruit though…. ?

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2014, 07:47:49 AM »
We had a really fun retirement party last night for a coworker.  All went well, and we had such a fun time.  I was thinking on the way home, how important it is to meet and socialize with people you only know from working with them, outside of work.  Everyone was relaxed (having a few drinks does help …) and chatting and laughing. 

I did quite well diet wise, steered clear of all grains and carbs, there were plenty of salads, sausages, pork chops, grilled chicken, veggies etc.  I ordered two different gluten free beers, and enjoyed those very much too.  All in all, success, and I didn't gain any weight!!  Yes, I do weigh in every morning, just for my own info.  I can gain water weight over night, sometimes 5 lbs, if I am not careful.  so that made me feel good.

Better get myself ready to go, have a busy day ahead.  Hope everyone has a lovely weekend!  :)

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2014, 10:28:00 AM »
Good for you, Barb.  Sounds like it was a great party with terrific food.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2014, 02:14:01 PM »
Barb, re gluten free beer...we don't have it very often but we like Omission and Estrella Dam Daura (the national beer of Portugal I believe). Both of them actually taste like beer.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2014, 05:11:56 PM »
Thanks so much, Lynda and Deanna!  I think the names of the beers last night were something with Lakefront, and the other Grist.  I really like them, refreshing.  Have to read up on that - I just asked out of curiosity, was set to have wine, but they had quite a selection.  Guess the bigger restaurants are prepared, good to know!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2014, 12:43:54 PM »
Did our shopping at Costco this morning, and got two organic chickens to roast, they are almost finished.  Will eat the legs and wings, and take white meat off bones to make chicken salad.  Then bones into large Le Creuset and will simmer me some bone broth for next 24 hours.  Perfect timing, I will just let it sit on stove top at low temp.  I've done it many times, never a problem.

Also made the Fat Bombs, not sure if anyone is actually interested, but took pictures of the process and finished product.  Was super easy, and the pics were actually for my daughter, she is so happy, she screamed - lol - as much as you can scream in text!  ;)

Also got a block of cheddar cheese, was a bargain.  I don't like to buy pre-shredded cheese, because of the stuff they use to keep it free flowing.  I will shred a lot of it and freeze for future use.  But since I had the oven on, I sliced some of it and placed on baking sheet, with baking paper on it, and let it melt  Not sure I like the finished product so much, but it looks pretty good for emergency snack.  I took pics of that too, and might go place them as updates in the respective threads in recipe section.

I might still make a loaf of bread, not sure, because it doesn't really fit into my menu for next week, so will wait with that one.  I got 6 nice avocados, will take one a day for my lunch.  And some of the "candy" for snacks.  I am really looking forward to this, and hope to lose some fat in the process.  I did try them both, one is  Reese's Cup and the other was supposed to be Almond Joy, but doesn't really taste like it, but still very delicious.

Oh, been also reading up on the making of Sauerkraut some more, and found two more good links with very simple instructions, and this will be my next project.  have to find a good ceramic crock to make it in, with a tight fitting lid or plate that fits inside.  I think I have it clear in my mind now, how this works, and excited to try it!

Other than that, not much to report.   Have to go do my laundry and clean up a bit, the only downside of all this cooking and baking and experimenting … the kitchen is a mess, and I have nobody to clean it up for me, lol!

But I am in really good mood, it's only been two weeks since I got back on the wagon, and I don't know if it "shows" but it sure is noticeable to me.  I'm a different person.  With good energy and mood.

Thanks to wheat and grain free - Thanks Dr. Davis!   :D

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2014, 02:19:16 PM »
BarbinNC,

Good for you!  You are just starting to reap the benefits, there are many more to come.   :)
FWIW, whenever I can get a good deal on a quality block of cheddar, I shred it in my food processor and then bag it in maybe 1/2 cup amounts and freeze.  Ziplock freezer bags are good for this if you don't have a vacuum sealer.  The amount is based n what I would typically use for a single meal or dish as it is easier to defrost multiple bags rather than trying to scoop out the correct amount of frozen, shredded cheese.   

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2014, 03:52:16 PM »
Barbara, thanks for the tip!

Those cheddar "crackers" came out great, I just ate them for a snack, after work, with some mayo mixed with hot sauce for a dip.  Not exactly gourmet, but oh well.  I had them on a plate in the fridge, uncovered, and they became crispier as time went on.  Sure to keep me in ketosis. haven't really tested, but appetite is pretty much gone, cravings too.  I just like to nibble on things, so it's been nice to have all the little things made.

My bone broth is also done, I finished it all up last night, and it's sooooo good!

8)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2014, 07:51:38 PM »
Had dinner with my daughter and her family.  It was delicious.  She got Bratwurst and Wieners from a butcher in town, who gets his meat from a grass fed farm in /Raleigh and makes his own sausage, bacon etc.  I have to say you can definitely tell the difference.  So delectable!  I am not swollen (my ankles tell the truth immediately) and she even had sauerkraut from a jar, made in Germany, and still nothing!  I am amazed, but it's a confirmation that the junk we are served here in the US lately is just that … JUNK!  If I eat out, even at a good restaurant, I always come home with aches and pains and swelling in the joints etc.  Right now, I feel fine.  That's good, and I'm so glad she found this place.

I also got my shipment of Magnesium and Electrolytes, and started taking the drops two days ago.  Forgot to mention that.  I am going to try my Mom on them soon, will have to go Stealth on that one, she's quite the Hypochondriac and we shall see if this gives her any symptoms.

Took some fat bombs to my daughter's house so she could taste them, and she loves them!!

Going to make some more soon.  So very very delicious.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2014, 06:28:55 AM »
BarbinNC,

Place the drops in something creamy, perhaps like plain yogurt sweetened with stevia and maybe some cinnamon or other spices.  Mix it up so the taste of the minerals is incorporated into the entire amount.  I make a cultured cottage cheese meal with flax oil (2 TBS cultured cottage cheese to 1TBS flax oil) using an immersion blender to incorporate the oil.  I add stevia, a handful of berries and the ReMag and ReLyte and blend some more.  Very filling and nutritious!  This is good for your Mom.  The recipe is from The Budwig Protocol and is great for any immune disorder and was originally developed for cancer patients by a German doctor.  Suzhookam alerted me to this recipe and I really like it.  Creamy, like ice cream!
It soothes your stomach, rebalances electrical energy, calms you down and lots more.  The web site recommends Nancy's Cultured Cottage Cheese so I use that brand, but any good quality cultured yogurt will suffice.

Dr. Daniel Amen is quite well respected for his work on foods and how they affect your brains.  He has a PBS series, many books and lots of web information.  He spoke about how his Grandmother was "difficult" and got her to have before and after CAT scans f her brain.  Following his dietary recommendations  (Omni Diet) which are quite similar to our WOE, his Grandmother became calm and happy!  CAT scans to prove the merit of how diet really does change your brain. 

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2014, 08:24:37 AM »
Barbara, that's a great idea, I will have to find a way to mix it in with something she really loves, she doesn't really eat yoghurt, but I could make it a routine, get some good creamy kind and mix in berries and just have it for breakfast, because it's healthy. ;)

We had a lovely long weekend, well it's not over yet, but daughter and family going to the Zoo with little grandson, he loves animals and it should be a great photo op.  I must have thousands of pictures of him by now, haven't counted, but every time I download them, it amazes me - the sheer volume of my photos, compared to before, lol.  He is so adorable, it takes my breath away sometimes, when he looks into my eyes, and melts my heart, that sweet baby love…. :)

Our cookout was delicious and wheat free.  I even ground up my lovely rib eyes, because my daughter really wanted hamburgers, and I must say, best hamburger we ever made, lol!  SIL was in charge of the grilling, we also made chicken sausages for those family members and friends who don't eat beef.  Sad.  We had faux-tato salad, cole slaw, tomatoes, onions and lettuce, pickles, all organic or at least from local farmer's market.  Which is right around the corner from us, love living here, we do have a lot of farm fresh foods offered.

My daughter also made Gourmet Girl's patriotic cheese cake, it was truly delicious and we will be making this one a lot, so I snapped a pic to commemorate and share with you.

I'm taking a day off, sort of … at least a morning off, to catch up on mail and reading, I love quiet mornings to sit and do my own thing, so relaxing. 

Hope everyone had a great long weekend, and a Happy Independence Day!!

VibeRadiant

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2014, 08:27:49 AM »
that cheesecake looks awesome

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2014, 10:47:25 AM »
Thank you … it tasted as good as it looks!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2014, 03:45:57 PM »
This week has been crazy at work.  There is no other way to put it. So much happened, and last Monday seems eons away!

The best thing though:  my leave is approved, and we hired a temp who sounds very good on paper.  That is such a relief!

My daughter dropped off grandson Wednesday and Thursday, so they could get some work done on the house, mostly decorating and some painting, hanging pictures and the like.  The little one is in the middle of everything, very active and smart little mister, so that has been my evenings, and it's worn me out.

I have curtains to make on the weekend, and some shopping to do.

Came across very interesting blog - well, blog entry, I've had her blog all along, but haven't taken the time to read lately.  It's the gal from I Breathe I'm Hungry and she's been doing this egg fast thing.  I've done this in the past, ate only eggs for a week, and dropped amazing weight in the process.  But she's doing it way more gourmet than I did, not just boiled eggs, oh no … she makes Eggs Fettucini Alfredo!  LOL - it's true, and sounds amazing to me, similar to what DJ Foodie posted last week, about making crepes and cutting them into pasta strips, taste very close to a real noodle, once you cover it with sauce.  Not sure if I posted that, have to check, wonderful recipe, just Ricotta, eggs and spices!

Have lots of reading to do, but wanted to update a bit, it's so much fun!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2014, 11:28:45 AM »
I have good energy today.  Been busy sewing, curtain panels, easy but labor intensive.  Gives me lots of thinking time.  Then of course I need to take a break and check in here.   ;D

Had the rest of the veggies (organic cauliflower, broccoli and two kinds of carrots from Costco, frozen) with cheese sauce, and it cleaned me out!  I mean, totally.  Feels good. I admit I fell into some sugar junk at work yesterday, and hopefully won't let that happen next week.  One more week, will be hectic, training the temp and leaving things in order till I get back.  Maybe I won't even go back, who knows, I'm working on that … for some reason, it's hard to let go for me.  Security, that's what it is.  I need the health insurance for one thing, but will check into the ACA while I'm off, to see what would be available, I've been to the website and it looks easy, I guess the hardest thing is to estimate what income would be going forward, it's all based on that.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2014, 03:54:04 PM »
My little grandson with his buddy Murray the Labrador, this dog is so patient, it just makes me love him so much.  Grandson climbs over him, pokes his eyes, picks up his ears and looks inside, pulls his tail, but never even a grumble, he just takes it and smiles.

True love!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2014, 04:52:01 PM »
Very cute!  It is just delightful to see the pure joy on his face!  Too often as adults, we forget about relaxing, enjoying the moment and showing our happiness. 

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2014, 06:39:37 PM »
I agree.  Having him in my life has allowed me to have that joy again, and I soak it up all I can!  When my daughter was little, I had so much sadness and grief, that I sometimes didn't know how to go on, only for her did I live.  With the little guy it's different, he is all joy and when I'm around him, I feel nothing but happiness.  8)

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2014, 07:00:45 AM »
A boy and his dog, nothing better.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2014, 08:06:35 AM »
So true, Lynda …. :)

I'm taking a break from sewing, yup - been up since early and after a good cup of coffee, back to the grind.  I don't really enjoy it that much, but it was part of my eduction in Germany, went to a "Frauenfachschule"  literally translated, a women's subject school, lol.  This was in preparation of becoming a Home Ec Teacher.  I went all the way through college, but changed course right before finishing the internship.

Oh well, I love making things for my daughter though.  She has many talents, but sewing is not one of them.  It takes patience and endurance.  When I was younger, I made all my clothes, but it's really not worth it any more, you can buy things cheaper than buy the fabric and notions.

I was just thinking of all the nice people I've met over the years on the internet, just by looking for low carb info.  The Wheatbelly Blog alone has opened a wealth of connections.  Such as this forum, but before that there was the lady who shared wonderful recipes on her blog, Gretchen - and of course Gourmet Girl, Maria Emmerich, and this morning I thought of another one who I've been following periodically, Jessica Lyman and her husband.  They sold everything they owned, packed up what they needed in a few suitcases and are traveling around the world!  Their blog is  http://www.worldwidewaftage.com
does anyone else read it?  I am fascinated by their journey, and don't think I would have the endurance and courage to do what they've done.  Really enjoyable to read and see all the pictures of the exotic places they have been to already, and still have planned.  Very detailed and descriptive.  Jessica is very strict no wheat and grains or sugar, and it's been particularly educational, how she manages to find her food in those far off remote places …

Ok, better get back to work, just wanted to see what's going on here, my Mom and sister are coming to see me later on, and grandson will be here for a while, so Mama and Papa can get a little time to themselves.  I love doing that for them, they do a lot for me, too.

I am planning on making some ice cream, got myself a Cuisine-Art ice cream maker last year, on sale at Costco, and LOVE it!!  And ice coffee - that's a German speciality, if you go to a Cafe in Europe, you are bound to find sometimes 50 different "Eiskaffee" concoctions, each with a picture to show how delectable it is!

More later … enjoy your Sunday!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2014, 06:06:27 PM »
What a day!  First day of training the temp, she's nice and pretty smart, which is good, it won't take me long to have her doing my work, hehe… this week should go fast, I'm so busy talking and showing her stuff,  I forgot to eat today.  She left to go to lunch, and I caught up on some things I needed to do without her. 

Stopped by daughter's to finish up curtains, and grandson came walking towards me - the whole hallway and right into my arms!  He grinned from ear to ear and was obviously very proud.  As are we.  Such a difficult task walking is, I read an article not too long ago, how all our body parts have to work together and the balancing is not easy and takes a lot of practice. He looks a bit like Igor or The Mummy, with arms stretched out straight in front of him, and straight legs, bouncing from side to side, so funny!

I am dead tired, not sure why, but woke up at 3 am and couldn't go back to sleep.  Watched an old movie with Humphry Bogart as a bad guy, those were the days ….

Going to bed soon, just had a bite of roasted chicken, leftover from yesterday.  It was delicious, but I'm stuffed after eating one leg.  I have to drink lots of water, my legs are a bit swollen, not sure why?  I should be in ketosis, and think I am, fasting all day wouldn't work for me otherwise. 

I have so many freebie books now, I don't think I will ever read them all, most are probably duds anyway, lol!

VibeRadiant

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2014, 05:38:08 PM »
I remember when my son started to walk, it was the most amazing thing to watch!

Glad to hear that things are going well with the temp and the fasting. It surprises me how little of the right nourishment we actually need and still feel energetic and awake. Until bedtime and then I need to go to bed, it's not a gradual thing either. It's like I'm feeling great, feeling great, feeling,  ok - bed time now. 

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2014, 02:53:58 PM »
Yes, vibe … cutest thing I've seen in a long time … he's like the energizer bunny!

I just got home from work and decided to check in quick like, to post a little bit and read, but I'm dead tired today, talked and trained all day, and it wears me out.  Temps are lower today and it was a beautiful day, hope there are some like this to come in the next month, so I can take a walk with my Mom every day.  I look forward to clean eating, more movement, and hopefully a successful surgery for her eyes, and that she can see again and feel better.

I'm eating very little right now, going to heat up some short ribs I made a few days ago, with leaks, in the slow cooker.  Delicious!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2014, 07:24:41 AM »
Confession time.   :'(   I had some pizza yesterday, and then a bite of banana pudding.  The good thing is - both tasted really BAD!!  The pizza was a bit soggy, so I didn't eat too much of the slice.  The pudding was sickening sweet, and I almost spit it out, but for the people standing around me I would have.  But threw the rest away.  The bad news is that I'm up 3 lbs this morning, UGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

Will I ever learn?  I hope so, is all I can say.  This week has been so hectic and slightly annoying, with the temp there every second, trying to get her up to speed.  She's a talker, and has hard time focusing.  With four children at home, with her husband, who is taking care of them, and a smart phone at the ready … well, lets just say I'm not sure how much of what I told her will stick.  But I can't worry about it too much right now, for the time being, I'm out of it all, and have every intention of focusing on my Mom and her health, and mine too, of course.  It was almost like a test, to see what would happen … and it wasn't pretty.  I am rid of it all - if you know what I mean.  Sure to cure constipation, introducing wheat after not eating for a while. 

So today is last time my daughter has to work a wedding with her friend, I will be baby sitting this afternoon, and look forward to it.  Miss my little grandson, didn't have much time to go see him this week.  He is walking now, quite fast, that will be interesting, hope I can keep up with him.

Tomorrow, my daughter and I will go see Porgy and Bess - really look forward to it, been a while since we had a night out alone, I do treasure time with her.  I got us season tickets to the Broadway series this year, it was her idea, and I jumped on it, knowing it would mean time with her, to enjoy some great shows, the line up is fabulous this season.

I will be doing some fasting this weekend, to maKe up for yesterday, it shouldn't be hard, it's a busy one.  Intend to eat very lightly until tomorrow dinner time, we will eat out before the show, and I will have a nice juice steak at the Ritz Carleton, newly built and I haven't had a chance to see it.  This will be a treat for both of us, after long months of hard work.  Time to play!!   :D

VibeRadiant

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2014, 08:33:57 AM »
Don't knock yourself too hard for having pizza and pudding. it's a journey and not a destination.
Every minute is a new opportunity to get back on track.
Accept what you can't change.
Change the things you can.
Let go of everything else.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2014, 08:57:44 AM »
Thanks Vibe, i like the way you look at it, and have to agree.  Lesson learned!

I'm drinking loads of water, and going to the bathroom, lots, feel like those toxins are leaving my body already.

Got to get going, I could sit here all day and read, read, read …. lol!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2014, 09:37:48 AM »
The human body is amazingly recuperative.  Going off plan once every hundred days won't phase it at all.  Your body will work all the bad right off again.  If this wasn't true, we wouldn't live as long as we do and wouldn't be over populated.  Just go back to good eating now.  In fact, plan to go off-plan now and then.  It takes the judgmental aspect out of eating well.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2014, 12:07:59 PM »
Thank you Lynda, for the positive feed back, and I agree it's not a bad idea to increase the carbs once in a while, but the wheat is what gave me the heebie jeebies, lol!  Won't let that happen again. 

Had a lovely time with my daughter last night at dinner and the show.  It was truly fabulous, so soulful that music is, and the touring group just first class.

At dinner, we sent the bread back with the waitress, as soon as she brought it … but they also brought this dish of marinated white beans, a Tuscan dish, and we asked for more.  I'm going to guess it had some beneficial RS in it, at least that's how we hypothesized and rationalized eating them.  Tasted soooo good, and I want to make some.  Will be searching out recipes.

I'm now officially on leave, went in this morning, after dreaming that my temp didn't show up, and when she came in right on time, I gave her a big smile and ended up telling her of there dream, she laughed …

I'm giving myself a day or two before bringing my Mom home, she is very confused and I had 3 missed calls on my phone, during the show.  She wanted t ask if I was going to the doctor appointment with her … I have been confirming this to her for weeks now …. :(

It's a rainy, gray day here, and I didn't get much sleep last night.  For some reason, I felt tense and apprehensive about leaving my job in the hands of the temp, it's not a conscious thing, more just general apprehension.  I know all will be well.  My boss looked tired and miserable, and I can tell he's at the end of his rope.  They are working 7 days a week, with conference call daily from 5 to 6 with the CEO right now, and it's wearing everyone down.  I have to let it go now, nothing I can do about it.

My intention is to live as healthy as I can, with my Mom, for the next month, and I want to just take it one day at a time, and not worry.  That's not as easy as it sounds ….

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2014, 12:28:44 PM »
BarbinNC,

Your thoughts do matter!  Think POSITIVE, HAPPY THOUGHTS to ease your mind and apprehension.  This is never easy.  It seems much easier to think about all the gloom and doom negatives that can happen.  Once you start doing this, your world becomes a negative place with all the negative things you expect to happen actually do happen.  When you are happy and smiling, the positive thoughts make even the toughest situation easier to deal with.   :)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2014, 12:34:55 PM »
 :D ;) :) 8) :o ;D :D :D :D

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2014, 12:41:19 PM »
Barbara - I'm not making faces at you … just to demonstrate I'm thinking positive and happy thoughts and I totally agree with you on that bit of wisdom, btw.!  I used to live by my Dr. Deepak Chopra tapes, in the mid 90s …. loved listening to his lovely voice and accent, telling us about the infinite possibilities and letting our intentions go and sending them to the ever loving Universe!  It works, doesn't it…. ;)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2014, 01:47:13 PM »
BarbinNC,

Yes, it really does work! 

Just after I read your post, I checked my email.  A dear old friend is in a very depressed, agitated state.  The usual complaints.  I invited her to my home and said I needed her help working on several projects.  She jumped at the chance and is making plane reservations right now!  She always looked to me for support during the supposed tough times of her life, knowing I would cheer her up.  I always did.  No matter what life dumped on me, I learned and slugged through it the best I could.  Deepak Chopra and others were instrumental in helping me keep an even keel.  My friend never really learned the message of how much your thoughts count in determining your outlook and experiences in life.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2014, 01:47:13 PM »

Sponsored Links