This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: One day at a time ...  (Read 55425 times)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
Re: One day at a time ...
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2015, 05:38:02 PM »
Thanks for the good wishes - I'm really enjoying myself already!!

And Deanna, that was a typo - it's meant to be Sriracha, that oriental hot sauce, garlic and hot chili peppers - I love to make a dipping sauce for wings, ribs, and as a dip, with just mayo, sour cream and a bit of this sauce.  you can find in most supermarkets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sriracha_sauce

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2015, 06:42:21 AM »
I don't want to be misleading, so wanted to point out that I don't really buy the Sriracha sauce, but the similar looking jar that's just called Garlic and Chili Sauce.  It's on the aisle with ethnic foods, close to Soy sauces and fish sauces, etc.  It has less sugar in it, but there is a smidgen, just want to point that out, in case it's enough to throw you off.

I ate really high fat yesterday, sautιed Salmon filets in lots of butter and finished it off with some olive oil.  And some creamed spinach, with butter, cream cheese, small shot of heavy cream, also a bit of olive oil to finish it off.  Grandson watches me cook standing next to me, and asks for bites of the butter, I only use Kerry Gold.  So cute and funny, he says loud "MMMMMHMMMMM" after each bite. He just loves it!

I had an avocado with celtic sea salt for dinner.  Was so filling, and no hunger this morning, just my coffee with cream and a bit of CO.

Have to get in routine of taking supplements again, and want to start the oil pulling.  Keep forgetting to do these things that need to be routine.  Going to set up reminders with sticky notes until it's become a habit.

I will have Heating/Cooling guy in house tomorrow, they are replacing coils or whatever … it's a warranty issue.  We (the community) have had so many issues with these so-called luxury town homes, the builder is doing the work for free, but that means we have no control over when and who does the work.  It's been frustrating to no end, and another stress point in my life, that I am trying to deal with in calm and logical manner.  It's difficult for me to let these workers in my house, without knowing them at all, and having no say in picking them.  The builder has a foreman on site, he drives around in his pickup truck, smoking and throwing his cigarette butts all over the place, I think he's overwhelmed, and please forgive the language - a real idiot!  :-X

Daughter having her Bunco group over tomorrow, and I will have grandson overnight, if he stays.  He's become very clingy lately, with his Mom … which makes it hard for me to keep him for long periods of time.  It breaks my heart when he stands by the door and calls "Mama, Mama, Mama" … he usually doesn't cry, but just says it in so many different tones - question me, calling her, and then demanding her to come, then slowly getting whiney and sometimes starting to cry!  It's a relatively new thing, and I guess a phase … but she also still nurses him infrequently, for comfort more than anything, and I'm so happy about that, because she eats very healthy and I'm convinced it's why he is so healthy, but it's also probably the reason he wants her when he gets tired or frustrated.  So I'm just a bit apprehensive about tomorrow, keep fingers crossed it all goes well.  In general though, he loves me dearly and enjoys being here, so I hope to have enough toys and games lined up to keep him distracted and wear him out so he falls asleep.  He is such a fun and good little guy, it just makes me so sad to see him sad … :-\

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2015, 11:17:18 PM »
Hi Barbara, I am happy for you that you can enjoy your retirement now.

I love avocados, too, and I ordered a great organic herbal salt (sea salt with herbs), which I put on a lot of foods now.  But for the past months it has been really hard to find half decent avocados in Europe.

Good for you that you want to start oil-pulling. I have been doing it faithfully for quite a while now and by now I pull twice a day. In fact I am pulling as I am typing this. Be sure to get an ayuvedic tongue cleaner. Every other tongue cleaner is a waste of money.
This is what it looks like:
http://ayurvedawellness.org/how-to-self-care/tongue-care

There is a topic on oil pulling - if you want to join.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 08, 2015, 06:37:10 AM »
Good Morning.  :)   Don't you love it when a contractor says they will arrive between 8:30 and 9, then shows up at 10 minutes to 8.   :o   Thank goodness I was up early and decided to go ahead and shower and get ready, so I could enjoy my cup of coffee on the porch while waiting for them.  I went to open the door and saw them standing downstairs.  Oh well, they look like reliable guys, I just let them in and came back upstairs to do my thing.

Oil pulling is definitely something that intrigues me, I will read your link, thanks for the info.  I was deeply into Ayurveda and Dr. Deepak Choprah, way back when … and from what I gather, I'm a PITTA>  lol.  I will check out the thread, once I get my bearings.  Good for you, for being so consistent with it!

My hip is bothering me again this morning, I think it's from lifting and carrying the heavy little guy around more again.  :(   He weighs a good 30 lbs, probably more by now.  Lifting him up is not easy for me, and I suffer the next day.  But who could resist those little arms and that sweet smile, when he lifts them up to me??  not me …. :-*

This month is going to fly by in no time.  Daughter going to the beach again next weekend, BIL and SIL flying in form Chicago, and they pick them up and drive straight to the coast, then drive them back again on Sunday, straight to the airport!  Oh these young people and their extra energy and vibrance!  I will have it again soon, too.  As a matter of fact, I am heading to Wild Dunes with daughter and grandson the last week in May, for some sunshine and to see about some renovations to our little abode.  Takes a lot of maintenance, not easy with something so far away, but also great enjoyment to just hop in the car and spend a few days in the sunshine with sand and ocean breeze.  I can't think of anything more enjoyable right now.  In between, many doctor's appointments for Mom, and a theater visit, this month it's Pippin, a show I saw on Broadway with my husband back in 1975, right before we moved to Charlotte the first time.  Wonderful memories, a little sad too of course, he died way too young…

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 09, 2015, 01:13:59 PM »
Our little sleepover worked like a charm!  I am so pleased with the little guy, he is a trooper, for sure.  While he does whine and cry for his Mama at times, yesterday his Dad dropped him off around 5 pm and left, we went upstairs and played, ate, watched a little TV, looked out the window after dark, to see the planes take off in the distance, to great screams of delight with each blinking light rising in the sky like a shining star!

He asked me for a BABA (bottle, we still use that crutch with organic toddler formula when Mama is not around) and went down in his little crib - I laid down on the sofa next to him and we smiled and giggled at one another for a while, then he just nodded off around 10:30 - just like that!  He woke up once around 3 am and that was rough for me, I probably fell asleep around midnight, but then I took him in bed with me, fluffed pillows all around him, we watched a little TV and he nodded off again. 

So sweet.  :-*

Did I mention he vacuums … not kidding, he picks up the vacuum and cleans, quite well for a 21 months old.  He loves it, and imitates me, by going around the room and just getting all the little specks with the long narrow attachment.  I don't think I've ever seen a kid do that.  Also loves when I do laundry, I usually save some up to do when he's here, and it just delights him to watch the lights go off and on, and the clicks make him come running to check out what's going on.  He cleans the lint tray in the dryer, I said to his Mom this morning, I hope he stays that way, it's just so nice to have him here, I get everything cleaned and washed, lol!  His dad is like that too though, he cleans the whole house for my daughter if she asks him too, very clean and fast.  Enviable!

Daughter came to pick him up and we had time to chat for 2 hours, since he slept in till around 10:30… we made coffee and had a good heart to heart.  Always lots to discuss, love I'm so grateful for my beautiful, sensible, kind hearted daughter.

They left, and I ran to the misc. stores I wanted to visit, got the eggs from the small store that sells farm goods, it does not say pastured, but will call the Farms on Monday and ask.  They are same price as Costco, 3.75/doz for medium, 4.75 for large.  Strawberries had sold out, they can't keep them on the shelf, and I didn't want to wait the half hour she said it would take for new batch to arrive from the field.

Just made some Cauli Fried Rice, with leftover pork roast and one diced carrot, green onions, garlic, diced water chestnuts, lots of different good fats - butter, hot chili sesame oil, avocado oil, red palm oil.  Some of the Chili and Garlic hot sauce.  And a bit of fish sauce.  I'm eating it right now and it's just too good for words.  ;D

Daughter making pork ribs tonight, I'm invited and afterwards, a friend/neighbor asked me to stop in for a glass of wine to see her parents, she's been asking me for weeks whenever they visit, and I just didn't have the heart to say no again.  I know I'll be dead tired by then, but will say hi and bow out gracefully.

That's my day in a nutshell, I have all ingredients to make my rolls, salad and key lime pie for tomorrows celebration, and just glad I don't have those family gatherings at my house anymore.  Daughter has a huge house with lots of room for us to gather, I still love to cook and bake, but cleaning and decorating is passι for me, I am in the phase of simplifying and getting rid of anything I don't need.  I know this is a sign of getting older, along with some other things, like attitude.  I read this quote from Meryl Streep the other day, and copied it because I couldn't have said it better myself, if I tried.  My daughter saw it too and sent it to me, saying it reminded her of me.  See what you think ….  8)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2015, 08:11:40 AM »
Happy Mother's Day to all the Mom's out there!!!   :-*

I took all the ingredients needed to make my baked goods today, for warming to room temperature.  Have some time to browse for a little while, and it's been most enjoyable!

As was dinner and my visit to a friend last night.  I had one glass of wine, and notice it this morning. It's amazing how just a bit of something with sugar can influence how I feel … it's just little things, eyes tired, fingers a bit swollen etc.  I did have more salt than usual also yesterday, but be that as it may, I just decided to challenge myself to a 14 day ketogenic cleanse - meaning beef and water!  This will be interesting because I've been relatively clean for about two weeks now, but still eating some things I don't really consider good for me, like salami, cheese, more sodium than I need etc.  I really look forward to feeling my best again, and having energy and being in a good mood. 

My reward will be a beach vacation, with daughter and grandson.  Later in the year, taking more time to spend at the shore, with Mom and sister and whoever else wants to come along, we love the beach, I always feel I'm "earthing" when walking barefoot in the sand, along the water's edge.  Anyone else into earthing?  I bought some of the gear, not sure it's made a difference, but don't think it can hurt.

Wishing all a lovely day.  ;D

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2015, 08:18:34 AM »
What a lovely day we had yesterday!  I just love being with my family, feel very lucky to have them all, and grateful for the good time we have together. 

Food was delicious - that protein lasagna my daughter makes is just really fantastic! I made a large bowl of green endive salad, with a salad dressing that I base on fresh garlic, olive oil, fresh lemon juice, some parmesan cheese, and fresh dill.  Just delightful and very healthy.  The rolls I made came out esp. nice yesterday too, I have been leaving out the flaxseed I used to add, and they taste so much better.  I do still add a bit of the hemp seeds, since I have them and they give a little big of interest to that basic recipe.  The psyllium and boiling water give a texture very reminiscent of gluten baked bread.  But without the bad stuff.  ;)

And the dessert - OMG, just heavenly, and so simple to make.  It's a definite keeper, and with the nutritional ratio of fat to carb, it does not create cravings, at least not in us.

I just put my large fatty pork roast in the oven, and will slow roast it for about 5 hours.  Can't wait to start nibbling on it, it's what I intend to eat today and tomorrow and however long it lasts me.  That along with water, will be my main meals.  Everything else will go in the freezer, so I'm not tempted to just go grab something later in the day.  Until ketosis sets in, that's a safety measure for me.

I already feel so much better, both physically and mentally, having a plan and being prepared is truly half the battle.  The rest is staying on track and being committed to health and feeling good!!

8)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2015, 08:53:27 AM »
Something my daughter told me yesterday, was quite interesting, and certainly nothing new to us.  A friend that she hadn't really talked to in a while (happens to be the SIL of the guy she ended up not marrying, 3 months before the wedding date …. :-X  )  contacted her on Facebook, they have children the same age, so they got together and both are doing the same diet!  My daughter said it's been so nice to have someone to talk to that's on the same wavelength, and who she can share with freely about her eating and cooking, without having to explain and go into details.  One of the things both can't get over is, that when friends approach them about "how did they lose all that weight so fast and look so radiant" and they tell them, the resounding response is - OMG I could never give up my …. fill in the blank, pasta, bread, chips, crackers etc.

I just kept nodding and agreeing with her, that it's terribly frustrating to know how you could help someone, if only they could listen and be willing to give it 30 days!  That's really all it takes to convince anyone, how good one feels, and how easy it really is.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2015, 11:31:44 AM »
I just started nibbling on my pork roast - this one had the skin on it, and I carved it up into little squares.  Will take and add a picture later, it will make your drool, for sure.  haha …

It is scrumptious.  And so filling!  Just salt and pepper, then a few cloves of fresh garlic stuck into the crevasses between skin and meat,  yum.

I want to put down here how I make those rolls, the original recipe is from Maria Emmerich, but I've changed it ever so little, and want to capture it here.  I can make this by heart now, so easy and fast.

I measure into medium size glass bowl:

1/2 cup organic coconut flour  (Honeyvillefarms)
5 Tbsp Psyllium Husk Powder (NOW Foods brand)
4 eggs
2 tsp baking powder (aluminum free from TJ)
salt and sometimes: caraway seed, sesame seed, sunflower seeds, hempseed, dill, organic oregano, according to your taste.

Mix all of these ingredients well.  Have oven preheated to 350 F and baking sheet prepared with baking paper (forgot the official name)

Add by stirring quickly, until dough is smooth and formed into a ball:

1 cup boiling water

With spoon form little rolls, size is optional, I usually make them small, 10 each from that amount of ingredients. 

Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, again depending on size - they are best slightly over baked and brown.

You can sprinkle sesame seeds on top, which is really nice.

My grandson loves these with a think slice of butter on top!

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2015, 10:10:39 PM »
,.  One of the things both can't get over is, that when friends approach them about "how did they lose all that weight so fast and look so radiant" and they tell them, the resounding response is - OMG I could never give up my …. fill in the blank, pasta, bread, chips, crackers etc.
I hear this lliine here all the time....."OMG......crackers". Even when the people have so much of a weight problem that their knees hurt with every step they take.
And the next thing I hear is "so much fat cannot be healthy". 
I try not to say anything.

You are really very active now. I am glad to read that you are enjoying your retirement and that you have much time in the kitchen now. It is good that you can share things with your daughter about this way of eating.
I can at least tell a friend about it - that Italian lady. She tries to be grain-free but does not eat a lot of fat as she does not have to loose weight.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2015, 06:47:03 AM »
It's definitely easier to have someone to talk to, about this way of eating, and to share the food with.  And yes, very common response - the eyes glazing over, the look of "I could never do that … must be a fad!"

I am learning to say nothing at this point, and just nod when they talk about the high fat being unhealthy and whole grains so important for the nutritional value … go ahead, I think … I tried to warn you!! 

;)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2015, 02:58:01 PM »
So all I had to eat so far today, is about 3 oz of my fatty pork roast.  And two cups of coffee with cream, and a Tbsp. of CO. I'm stuffed!  Can't believe how fast this works, as an appetite suppressant.  I might have a few more bites in about an hour, and that will be it.  Intend to do this for a week, eating mostly fat and some protein.  Along with lots of water. 

Stomach already much flatter, no bloating.  Haven't weighed, and half thinking I might forgo the weighing this week, only at the end of week, to see what result it.  The daily fluctuations do cause some disappointment etc.

I feel so calm and content, was reading about how stress can cause hight inflammation, and for me I think this was true. 

Tomorrow I have grandson, in the morning til noon.  Can't wait to see him.  Such a little love …  :-*

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 14, 2015, 08:57:44 AM »
I am feeling so much better already, this morning, my tummy looks flat (almost lol)!  No cravings, no stomach grumbling, so easy to stick with it.  Just coffee with CO so far, and a shot of cream.  Hard to give up my cream, and cream cheese, sour cream … and some Jarlsberg cheese, those are my go to dairy products, along with Kerrygold butter of course.  If I ever do stall, those would have to go, but so far, so good.

You know what's so cool about making a fatty pork roast?  You are left with some substantial lard!  I will have grandson again this afternoon, and will make some good sweet potato fries in it for him, and me.  While I do intend to stay mostly meat and fat, I allow myself a few little veggie indulgences here and there, again, once the weight loss stops, I might tweak those items out, if necessary.  I do still make slaw, green lettuce with vinegar and oil, and a few other things that a true Zero carb diet would not allow.

This will be another weekend for me to sleep at daughter's house, to doggie sit.  They are going to the beach again, and I decided to make a good Wheatbelly Carrot cake, I found an old post on WWB with that great cake, and I've made it once before, it's so easy, fast and delicious.  Grandson loves it too.

Weather is lovely here right now, sunny, a bit cooler and very dry.  I have all doors and windows open to get fresh air in the house.  Love this so much, it reminds me of Germany.  They have their doors and windows open all summer long, and some folks even in the winter.  Very much fresh air and oxygen driven, they are. ;)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 14, 2015, 10:10:41 AM »
I just put the carrot cake in the oven, and have about an hour to play … err, read!

;)

Came across this German blog of a zero carber, she is so funny, just had to share.

http://badass-carnivore.com/thoughts-on-seeking-the-truth-about-food/

My favorite is "White Fish, that Bitch"  hahahaaaa   8)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 15, 2015, 09:04:15 AM »
The carrot cake seemed a bit dry to me, but on the whole, not too bad.  I would add more eggs next time, and that next time might be Monday, since my daughter picked the cake up last night, when she picked up grandson, and is taking it to the beach.  She texted me later on "had a little taste, it is delicious … I don't want to share!"  haha, and I told her I would make on just for her, when she gets back and it will be even better!

I found a nice Blueberry Muffin recipe, very easy and very low carb, something for the little guy to share in.  Also made coconut pancakes for him the other day, a nice finger food snack, when on the go.

I will be spending time at daugh[size=78%]ter's house with the dogs over weekend, and look forward to the change of venue.  I intend to get some sun, and much needed natural Vitamin D.  Our next beach trip is just around the corner, and this time I'm going along - YAY!!!

On my way to shop for my "retirement gift" from work … the HR gal never had time to come with me before I left, but we decided it's ok, whenever.  I am going to Lowes and using my gift to purchase some nice shelves for the bonus room, to get my mess finally organized and decluttering.  I've been working on it already, daily … but need some place to store things in plain sight, so it's easy to find when needed.

I really look forward to doing this, and sorting out things to see at consignment.  Daughter made $300 this past week…. selling old stuff.   :o

:) [/size]

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 15, 2015, 09:58:47 AM »
So glad you are enjoying life, Barb.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 16, 2015, 08:20:18 AM »
Thank you, Lynda!  It's so good to see you here, I was wondering if you're ok, hadn't seen you post in a while.  Well, then who am I to talk.  ::)   But you are usually so prolific, and I missed seeing you, was going to send up flares soon!  Anyway - hope all is well with you, would love to hear what all you're up to.  :D

Just came home a little while ago, to take shower and get ready to take Mom for her MRI.  Not sure why he wants to do another one so soon, I guess this condition of her bones being so brittle, could cause another fracture any minute.  She's been feeling better, but it's so difficult to get these appointments, we opted to just go get it done.

I was just catching up a bit with another WB follower, Jess and her hubby Tom.  Does anyone else follow them on their journey around the world?  I've enjoyed reading about their adventure, and seeing all the pictures.  They certainly have guts, not sure I could do this type of thing, so I live vicariously through them.  http://www.worldwidewaftage.com/2015/05/a-blenderan-usual-recipea-request-from.html

I am looking for a little slide for grandson, he's not much into swinging yet, just can't sit still long enough I think.  But I bet he would climb up and slide over and over on this thing, and wear himself out good!  And you could even set it up inside, if the weather is bad.  Does anyone have experience with these outdoor play sets?  I would love to hear your impressions and ideas.  http://www.amazon.com/Step2-Naturally-Playful-Folding-Slide/dp/B001639Q50/ref=pd_sbs_21_42?ie=UTF8&refRID=0Q88X5FR57QR5GBYP5BH

Well, more later, have to run, I know for sure I have lost weight this week, still not weighing, I really want it to be good on Monday.  But I can tell, without seeing a number on the scale, it's very obvious. I feel good!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 16, 2015, 10:35:54 AM »
Thank you, Barb, that was so nice of you.  It made  my day.  I have been running fevers from an infection and the headache makes typing a chore.

I envy Jess and Tom, such beautiful scenery.  Where we live in FL is so built up it is positively ugly.  I miss the desert and Alaska. 

I'm sorry your Mom is having such a time with her bones.  I have to admire her, though, she has held up well for her age (don't you hate that expression?). Senior health changes as fast as toddlers, so the MRI could be a good idea and you'll know where you are with her condition.  I always figure the angle might be slightly different and show something they missed before.

Your grandson would love a slide.  You could check Toys R Us site as well.  Possibly even Babies R Us.  They carry many toddler toys like the one you are looking at.  Get your camera out because you'll get tons of cute photos when he tries to go up it backwards.  Kids are so cute at that age.  Your grandson is a beautiful little boy.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 17, 2015, 10:28:33 AM »
Oh Lynda, I'm so sorry to hear of your infections and resulting headaches!  Sending you get well wishes, and big hugs! And thank you for the kind words for my Mom, you'r right she really did hold up for a long time, she will be 85 in October, and really except for her memory and confusion, she held up better than I have! 

That's a great idea to go see the toys in real life, will definitely check them out at the stores before I order anything.  Thanks!!   ;D

I just did my official weigh in and I lost 7.5 lbs altogether.  I am very stoked!!!  That's for two weeks, of which the first week was more detox than anything, and started sticking more to my guns the second week, but still a little something something here and there … like a glass of wine, or some chocolate.  But this is motivating me to be super clean next week, and I just went shopping for steaks and hamburger so I can do a week of just beef and water.  Curious to see what that will accomplish.

… some things I already noticed:  arms look a bit shapelier in the mirror;  I can see my feet without stooping over;  bra fits so much better, and clothes in general already feeling looser and less constrictive. Feet less puffy.   After one more week I will go through my closet and pull out some summer clothes I haven't been able to wear in a while, that will be fun, I'm sure!

:D

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 17, 2015, 03:19:06 PM »
Thank you, Barb.  You are doing well, keep it up.  I seem to have gained a few lately.  Need to move more.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 18, 2015, 05:58:12 AM »
Lynda, I think the movement comes once you feel better, after losing a bit of weight, I already have more energy and "a need to move more".  In my case, that's bouncing on my rebounder daily now, grandson makes me do it, and I love it.  We giggle the entire time.   :D

My sweetnesses returned from the beach last night, safe and sound with nice tans.  I need to get a tan, just makes me feel healthy and happy, and we know now it's the Vitamin D that causes those emotions of wellness and contentment. 

I have a brisket to roast today, will put it on low and leave in for at least 4 to 5 hours - just some salt and pepper, maybe slice an onion to give some flavor to the broth I intend to create by basting often.  I can taste it now!!!

Wishing you a lovely day.  :-*

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 18, 2015, 08:30:22 AM »
Good for you, Barb, rebounding with your grandson.  He'll have such a great childhood.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 19, 2015, 05:02:40 AM »
Good morning, Lynda - hope you're feeling good this morning.  Grandson found a good nest, and helping to give him a great childhood is my foremost endeavor.  My daughter said the sweetest thing to me - that she wants her son to have the same fun, safe and cozy childhood that I gave her … as as single Mom (her father died when she was 1 year old and I did not remarry) that meant more to me than anything in the world, and I really did work hard to try and make it all as happy as I could, so it's nice to have that confirmation, from a grown child who understands that life is not always easy or perfect.

Today painters will be here to finish up some work that was started last year!  And my shelves will be delivered, so I can start putting them together later on.  I have brisket to eat, it's quite tasty, but not as fatty as I would have liked.  I thought it had more fat on it.  I have to add butter and olive oil, and there is a little broth and meat juice, so that's what I'm heating it up in, thin slices, and tastes yummy.

I'm a little achy this morning, I had a mishap with the Insinkerator yesterday, sink was clogged up so I tried to unclog with a plunger and in the process I think I busted some seals on the bottom of the darn thing, now it leaks.   :'(   Have to call a plumber, and get a new one. 

Always something ….

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 19, 2015, 03:40:00 PM »
As a person with zero memories of their mother's playing with them (she worked three jobs for us), I can tell you how important what you are doing is to your grandson.  I fondly remember my grandmother dancing and making up stories for me.  It's really the best part of growing up.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 19, 2015, 05:32:55 PM »
When I was a little girl, spending week ends with my grandmother....she taught my sisters and I how to play poker.....a truly valuable life skill! 8)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 20, 2015, 05:36:38 AM »
Loving all the grandmother stories and memories - they are golden in the life of a child, those grands!!

And the grandchildren are golden in our lives, aren't they … when I think of the love and sweetness my grandson brought me in the past few years, it brings tears to my eyes.  I just had no idea ….  :)

I have very little planned for today.  At least for this morning.  Want to do a Costco run, and make another Key Lime pie for SIL, he just loved it so much, and will be by later to install new disposal .. gotta love that with the little time he has. Will make dinner for them as well, I like spoiling those I love.  ;D

Eating is easy right now, have no appetite to speak of, and enjoy nibbling on my brisket roast, never get tired of eating meat.  Might add just a little cole slaw today, with lots of home made mayo. 

That's about it - have a wonderful day, all! :D

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 20, 2015, 07:43:09 AM »
Just made myself some breakfast with those heavenly eggs I bought last week.  Had to take a picture to show how huge they are - and just as yummy!

The bacon is the Applegate organic not cured etc. from Aldi, my daughter loves it.  Me, not so much … I really prefer my low sodium from Costco, this one is soooo salty, and has a little sugar added, so that's another reason to stick with low sodium.

I enjoyed that egg though, and might just go have another one!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 21, 2015, 09:59:41 AM »
I am spending way too much time online these days … and have to get some stuff done!  Between reading all the scientific stuff about WOE, and a few other blogs that I find entertaining, my mornings just seem to go by way to quick.  Daughter coming over this afternoon, with Grandson, at least that gives me motivation to go clean up a bit.  I need to find a new rhythm to my day, without a job to go to, there seems to be way too much freedom, haha!  But I love it, I truly do …. ;)

Did my Costco run yesterday and like Gourmetgirl says, picked up all the low cost goodies.  The Carrington Farms products are almost half price at Costco, even on Amazon.  I got the coconut oil, the hemp seeds, the chia seeds, and some other items that I love for my occasional wheat free goodies.  Also some huge packs of rib eyes, they weren't on sale, but to me they taste better than the supermarket meat.  I did get another pork roast, it says on the label, "born, raised, slaughtered and packed in the US" so the SWIFT pork is not from China, at least I hope I can trust that.  It is very good tasting and doesn't have that smell of manure that some pork products have, anyone else noticed that lately?

So today I'm going to assemble that key lime pie for son in law again, he has lost 50 lbs so far with eating keto style, and now his brother and his wife are on board too!  They were amazed at how much those two had lost, when they met at the beach past weekend, they went out and bought Maria Emmerich's book Keto Adapted, it was on sale for $3 yesterday, and I got it in Kindle format, really look forward to reading it.  Daughter has the paperback, and it's their bible right now, as far as eating.  So the brother and wife started eating keto immediately upon getting home on Sunday, and he is down 10 lbs and she is down 5 lbs already!  Amazing, yes? Those are results we all see after coming off the SAD diet, and is a lot of water, but even that is so de-bloating, and motivation.

I think I might grind some of the pork loin and make little meatloaf hamburgers, with onion, eggs, parsley and spices - I love those - Germans call them Frikadellen!  and will make a Cauliflower Salad with it, in the style of potato salad, with mayo and all the colorful stuff they put in.

I'm really feeling good right now, and have been cleaning the house in between reading and posting, that makes me feel less guilty.  I love being retired!!!!!   8) 8)

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 21, 2015, 11:24:28 AM »
Speaking of Costco, I've been enjoying their
Kirkland Smoked Pulled Pork.  Ingredients seem
to be just fine.  Fully cooked and versatile.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 21, 2015, 11:38:23 AM »
Hi Bill, I have not tried that and haven't even seen it!  Is it packaged or frozen or at the meat counter where the roasted chickens are?  I read somewhere that Trader Joe's has Pork Belly frozen, and it's not processed or has anything added that would be bad for us.  I will look for both items, when I have a chance.  Although pulled pork is so easy to make in a crock pot, have you tried that?  lots of recipes online.  With homemade low carb BBQ sauce, and some cole slaw - heavenly!

I just put the pie in the freezer, that one sure is easy to make, and so delicious.  Still haven't found any organic limes, oh well, hope it's not too devastating to the system.  I bet you have lime and lemon trees in CA.  I have been thinking of planting some here in SC, not sure they would over winter, but could pull them in the garage when it's freezing, if in a large pot.  Would be nice to have a little harvest of lemons and limes.  :)

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 21, 2015, 12:23:37 PM »
The pulled pork is in the refrigerated section
usually near the Carnegie Pickles.  It's vacuum
packed.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 22, 2015, 05:57:53 AM »
Thanks Bill, good to know!

What a gorgeous sight, as I sit here and look out at the blue, sunny, cloudless day!  It fills me with happiness, to know in just a few minutes my little grandson will be here to play and keep me busy running up and down stairs.  It's funny because some of the remaining discomfort around knees and thighs keeps me from wanting to walk much, which backfires, by weakening muscles and ligaments etc.   He loves to walk up and down my stairs, and of course, I have to walk with him.  At first, it's always a bit of a struggle, and I moan and groan a bit, which he finds very funny and he giggles and then imitates my sounds - which in turn cracks me up and we laugh the whole time.  But the really interesting part - the pain is being minimized day by day.  And of course, the bouncing also is helping to strengthen legs.  All in all, it's very beneficial to have him force me to move and stay active, better than any gym I could join because knowing me, I would not go!

More and more I'm zeroing in on health and just eating meat for a while.  It's not as easy as I would have thought right now, for one thing, I have too much food on hand that I'm too frugal to let go to waste.  But it definitely is symbiotic, eating less carbs and moving more, has already helped to relieve much joint pain and fatigue compared to just a few weeks ago.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 22, 2015, 08:24:35 AM »
BarbinNC,

This is way of eating is a very big adjustment.  When I started WB, I gave away bags of unsuitable food.  I had been cooking for my late parents and my siblings who rotated taking care of them so I had an overstocked pantry.  Ever so slowly I am using up all the WB ingredients I purchased as I sort through which ones I really use.  I used to love baking and would make pies with a beautiful crust, breads, pastries etc. quite often.  I never even noticed that the bakeries disappeared!  So I stocked up on all the WB approved ingredients and found that now I don't even miss the sweet treats, rolls or breads  I do make these things occasionally.  Ever so slowly I'm using up the excess. 

A Mother's Day gift was a crepe pan and I have been using paleo recipes to make them.  One of my favorites is a mushroom, spinach, chevre or cream cheese crepe with some leftover meat added.  Having had many meals at The Russian Tea Room in NYC, I am learning to re-create their blini's in a way suitable to our WOE.    :)

This WOE is a constant adaptation and learning experience.  Now I hardly eat any fruit anymore and find that most is either too sweet or tasteless.  That was a big change.  This would be a good new topic!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 22, 2015, 10:10:37 AM »
Jan, I would like your grandmother, what a fun person.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 22, 2015, 03:45:30 PM »
Barbara from NJ,

I think we have much in common, esp. the love of cooking and eating quality good tasting foods.  I also had many a meal at the Russian Tea Room - what an elegant place and such exquisite meals we had. Made me feel very special.  Do share the Blini recipes if you care to?

And I know what you mean about cleaning out the WB baking stuff … Honeville had a big sale going on, and I did not order anything!!!  That is BIG!  haha … ;)

But seriously, the cravings do stop eventually, my appetite has receded dramatically.  I didn't eat until 2:30 pm today, when daughter picked up grandson and I sat down to read a bit and suddenly realized I hadn't had anything to eat!  I had one pork chop, and have to say I felt a bit guilty about it after reading that research, but it tasted so darn delicious even cold, this Swift brand tastes so clean and I have no cravings whatsoever, so not sure about the BS levels increasing for me.  I have several of the BS meters but none of the strips right now, and not sure they even give an accurate reading, that was why I stopped using them, I think I have 4 of the meters and each one gives a different reading, so what is the correct one?  Who knows, but to make the story short, I think high BS levels and in turn, insulin response would cause hypoglycemia in me and also cravings, but none to report.

I'm going to cut back on pork, nevertheless. 

After living low carb for so many years I don't think I am as bad as some, when it comes to adjusting (remember the infamous Dr. Tarnover of the Scarsdale diet, I started that one back in the 70s and then Atkins, and you know, even Weight Watchers was pretty low carb back in the day, with no bread or pasta, but liver with onions on the menu …. until the ridiculous low fat craze hit, and with it all this horrible disease and disfunction.  I am glad it's over and feel vindicated for knowing instinctively all along what the correct way to eat is.  I had a friend who had a Masters degree in nutrition and was Chief Therapeutic Dietician at the Hospital I worked for back in the mid 70s and I was told I was arrogant for disagreeing with the ADA back then, seeing what I was given to teach Diabetic patients on daily basis - it just didn't make sense to me!  A heretic I was, way before my time.  8)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 23, 2015, 06:54:57 AM »
I was just reading a bit about the latest news regarding grains, and the connection to ALS - very interesting indeed, what all we are finding to be caused by the toxins in grains.  There was mention of dysphagia being an early symptom, and it immediately made me think of another problem I've had in the past … trouble swallowing!  Confession time ... I was a bit addicted to fast food not too long ago - it was a phase about 4 or 5 years ago, when things were incredibly stressful in my life, both at work and in my personal life.  I would leave work and go by a Wendy's on the way home and get a chicken sandwich and devour it while driving.  I never made the connection to wheat of course, because I just didn't know back then, but now it is clear to me what was happening - another reaction to the grains!  After a while, I could not swallow a larger bite of food, unless I had a lot of water to follow it up with.  I was also drinking quite a bit back then, and blamed it on the wine.  But now I'm convinced it wasn't the wine, because I still drink wine on occasion, after giving up all grains, and this annoying problem is gone.  It was so bad, that sometimes I would have to go to the bathroom and cough/choke/throw up the food that was caught in my throat.  This is embarrassing to admit, and it scared me to death - but when I dropped the grains it stopped completely.

It's amazing to realize all this and wonder what in the world will happen if we let this go on, by we I mean the government.  I'm not for big government, but who is going to stop these companies if not we the people?  Can it really be changed at this point, or are we doomed as a species?

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 23, 2015, 08:16:50 AM »
Barb,

Your comments are exactly the point:  Government is getting bigger with more micromanagement of everything in our lives.  When "life happens" to all of us, we really need to step back and learn from our experiences.  If we are honest, we really experience that poor eating habits leave us weak and in pain.  Trusting our doctors prescription plans implicitly doesn't cure us of our ailments.  Our go-to experts just treat the symptom instead of healing/curing our problem.

As a group, we are walking with our pocketbooks and purchasing only those foods which are health enhancing.  We don't buy products with ingredient labels we can't understand or even pronounce.  We eat ONLY real food, grown properly and take vitamin/mineral/probiotic supplements.  Business will soon follow to provide.  As our health improves, meaning fewer health problems and assorted expenses, we make smarter decisions.  Instead of looking forward to a life of aches and pains, we are thriving.

News articles are showing how much this is changing.  Even Walmart is using their clout to force the industry to change its animal welfare practices.  The way food is grown, processed and sold will follow.  All this because of people like us got sick and tired of being sick and tired.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 23, 2015, 09:40:48 AM »
Well, there is definitely a ground swell of change going on, and you're right that it's those of us who realize why we are sick and tired … and with the time, money and interest to find out what is going on.  What about all of those who are not so inclined or lucky?  Almost everybody around me IRL is still very much on the low fat bandwagon.  I guess it's survival of the fittest, or natural selection.  I guess I'm just not feeling as hopeful as usual this morning ... :-\

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 23, 2015, 02:40:10 PM »
Sick and tired of being sick and tired: perfect slogan for our group!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 24, 2015, 06:01:05 AM »
Feeling better today, and more happy go lucky again.  ;D   Slept really good last night, I was exhausted for some reason, and listless all day.  Went to bed early and slept like a rock.

Today is another beautiful day with sunshine and blue skies.  And we're going to the beach this week, leaving Tuesday - YAY!!  This will be another short stint, to just get some sun and ocean and check up on things.  Just daughter and grandson and me.  Laid back and lots of time to chat.  Love it….  8)

We will take food along, I have steaks frozen, making a small Quiche for breakfasts, making some blueberry muffins for the little guy, coffee and cream, some CO - that's about it!  this WOE makes it so easy - not many ingredients and no fuss.

Tonight is theater night - Pippin, and I am really looking forward to it.  Daughter and I have such a good time together right now, I guess you can read that between the lines, lol … but it really is nice to have a daughter, that is a friend - after the teenage years I wasn't sure that would ever happen, LOL!!

… wishing all a lovely Sunday ... :D

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 25, 2015, 09:07:15 AM »
This new production of Pippin we saw last night, is fabulous, magical, different than anything I've seen on stage in a long time!  We had a great time, though it took us a while to "get into it" … just so weird at first. Very Bob Fosse. On the way home we discussed it and we agreed that after a while it sinks in "NOW we get it!!".

:)

The best thing about going to live performances is the little surprises you don't expect, the moments that you feel a connection to the performers.  Adrianne Barbeau is in this touring production, and I had to look up how old she is - 69!!  Talk about a gorgeous dame, and she was flying from a trapeze, with one of the acrobats twirling her around. .. simply amazing!  I hooted and whistled for her.  She got a well deserved standing ovation.  John Rubinstein, who was Pippin back in the first production, is now Charlemagne, his father.  So funny and also great performance.  Time warp!

The bad thing about live performances - lately - is the fact that so many people today are so incredibly discourteous and misbehaved!  The woman next to my daughter (these are season tickets so you get to know the person next to you quite well …) drinks beer and eats chips during the shows, constantly.  She is very skinny and very nervous, biting and pulling at the skin of her hands, until they are bloody.  I called after the first show and complained, but there is nothing they can do of course. They allow food and drink in the audience now, I hate that.  They were losing business, and this is the crowd they're attracting now.  These are sold out performances, and our seats are the best in the house, so we don't want to move to lesser seats.  The man next to me was using his phone as a flashlight to read the program during the show.  It really bothered me, it's so dark that this type of light is annoying, even just peripherally.  Last time, a little girl, maybe 5 or 6, behind us was whining loudly to there mother during Kinky Boots, it bored her and she wanted to go home ...  the mother kept reprimanding her, also loudly.  What ever happened to whisper? 

I just had to vent about this.  Same in movie theaters, I might start going again, now that I can take advantage of matinees.  I used to love going to movies, and even belonged to some of the Independent and Foreign Movie Assoc. but had to quit going, because I could only go when the crowds went, and let me tell you, it's definitely not like it used to be, people being considered of others space and viewing enjoyment. A country of blatant, self absorbed narcissists, is what we are!

I wonder if it has to do with food?  Actually, I'm convinced it's the food.  And vaccinations.  haha. sorry had to weave that in …  BUT - Brains are not functioning normally in a lot of people any more, and there is a lot of mental illness and disorder caused by malnutrition, as we know.

------------

So today is clean up and get ready for the beach day.  I just pulled my blueberry muffins out of the oven, they look delicious, if  I have to say so myself.  I will post the recipe later, this is a relatively low calorie paleo option, with about 5 g total carbs each.  Not that I'm counting calories, but I do keep an eye on them, when I use carb items.  I cut way back on the sweetener, as I always do.

So I'm down another 3 lbs this week - YAY!!  And my tummy has shrunk noticeably.  I was able to wear slacks last night, that I couldn't close just last month.  Happy… and feeling very energetic!

I still have to do a little shopping, and we have a very laid back cook out planned for later on, just hamburgers and organic hot dogs, no buns.  Just some mustard and lettuce leaves, a few tomato slices, onions, which I will forgo.  There is nothing more motivating than losing lbs visibly!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 29, 2015, 11:31:16 AM »
We're back!!  Cliff Notes today, have a lot going on right now, and not much time to linger but wanted to at least write a little update, so it doesn't look like I forgot about my wheat free buddies. 8)

The beach was fabulous, weather amazing, what else can I say … well, it was also physically exhausting, more so for my daughter than me. Without daddy along, there is much more work, lol.  Grandson was so good though, he's just such a good little guy, but still a handful to run after and keep fed, cleaned, and happy.  I just love his little face in the morning, coming downstairs to say hi to his MIMI, to snuggle up in my bed for a while looking out at the waves and seagulls and pelicans swooping down to catch the early fish, something I rarely get to do. All birds are "ducks" and he quacks to indicate that.  haha …. He doesn't often have time to snuggle any more, just too busy checking out the world.  He had a great time, we all did, but it was good to get back home last night, esp. since I burned my back yesterday, something I haven't done in a long time, just forgot to put sunscreen on back there, and we were only out from 9 am to 11 am, didn't think it would be so drastic, We were playing in the sand very close to the water and digging a moat around our sandcastle, with sun hitting me directly.  Oh well, lesson learned, do not stay out in the sun at the beach for hours on end without some protection!  It made another day in the sun impossible for me though, so we decided to head home.  Daughter did not get burned, for one thing she's been out getting tanned already quite a lot this year, and also she thinks eating zero carb has given her some kind of protection from sunburn … is that possible?  Might be another side effect of eating grain free with lots of  good fats, that we have to add to our list of goodies!

We have a birthday to celebrate this weekend and I am going to finally make that strawberry short cake with the Oopsie recipe, I can't wait!  SIL loves anything I bake so I'm sure he will be happy. 

I was just catching up a bit on my reading this morning and came across this in email, I can definitely relate.

http://foodrenegade.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=44323ee80d6af959f42c19ba4&id=c560518fcc&e=d19d414816

We did really well with food on this trip, I wasn't very hungry and a few bites of bacon and eggs in the morning, and steak in the evening, was all it took to keep me happy.  Little guy eats grass fed butter, along with his other foods, and it seems to really keep him full and in a good mood.   I had a few bites with him, just for good measure … did you ever hear of someone eating just butter for a few days and losing lots of weight?  I used to post on another forum a while back, and a girl claimed to lose tremendous amounts of weight by doing this.  Who knows, might be a good stall breaker though.

I was down another 2 lbs when we got in last night, this is amazing, and very motivating.  I am eating VERY low carb right now, and feel that little bit of nausea that indicates being in ketosis, to me.  I am slowly easing into meat and water, can't wait to be there and completely adapted. 

Hope everyone is well, and wish there were more people posting to journals in this forum, it's so helpful to know what others are doing on daily basis, we can only learn if we share and ask and answer questions.  Do let us know what you're up to and how you're doing! 

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 30, 2015, 08:26:22 AM »
I came across a recipe this morning for Socca bread, and was going to post it, but decided against it.  It look quite good though, and legal for us WB folks, just a bit higher in carbs perhaps than most here are into.  It was actually posted by Auntie Gracie on the FB page of WB.  This led me to reading up on garbanzo bean flour, which is basically all this bread is, it's a flat bread of chick pea flour and water, with some additional optional ingredients for flavor.  I will definitely make this for a family dinner in the future, but not just for myself to snack on.  I started my pure meat and water diet this morning and expect good results from it.  Chick pea flour has half the carbs of wheat flour, and I read that it has a substantial amount of resistant starch, which peaked my interest.  I started googling and got lost in this thread at Mark's Daily Apple - very long and packed with info I am very interested in right now.  Going forward, I don't intend to eat Zero Carb for life, it's just a way for me to kick off weight loss right now, and to get rid of some recurring health issues, and aches and pains that so easily sneak in when I'm distracted and not paying enough attention to myself.  Easy to fall into that trap when you're tending to others all the time …. but who knows, if this Zero Carb thing is as easy as it sounds, then I might just stick with it.  I just love to cook and bake so very much, it's hard to steer away from the recipes and wanting to try them out!~  ;)

the resistant starch subject with good info is here

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/printthread73514.html

Anyway, I'm feeling good this morning and will be going to the mall later on with daughter and grandson.  I had my coffee with cream, and 1/2 lb of organic ground beef, made into 3 little patties and broiled medium rare.  Very juicy and delicious.  I am stuffed!  The other half lb will be consumed for dinner ….  :D

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 31, 2015, 07:53:58 AM »
Interesting article at Mercola.com this morning … well, not the actual article, but the comments are a goldmine of info, as usual.  The article is rubbish in itself, I like mercola for the stuff he brings to the forefront, but lately he's a sell out in many ways. 

so anyway, thought I'd go ahead and post this here, as a reminder for myself, I still haven't started my supplement reorganization, but working on it all in my mind, it takes a lot of reading and research to get it down pat.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/06/29/iodine-deficiency-risk.aspx?x_cid=20150530_ranart_iodine-deficiency-risk_facebookdoc

See comments by Dena1219 - that will be my strategy.

Getting ready to have my steak at Harper's.  Big birthday get together for lunch with all the family!  that might be all I eat today, I don't have much appetite, which is nice and helpful.

… all I had yesterday was my lb of ground beef with lots of water, and I feel fabulous!  Tummy shrinking noticeably, no bloating, I can pull it in, not something I was able to do a month ago.

Looking forward to another clean week of eating beef and drinking water.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 01, 2015, 08:17:14 AM »
I got a free Blood Glucose and Ketone monitoring device. It's called Precision Xtra and came with 10 each lancets and 10 glucose test strips, but no ketone test strips that I can find.  They are very expensive, so not sure I will bother.  I might use the test strips up and then purchase this one at Walmart - the ReliOn Ultima - which comes highly recommended, and the strips are half the cost. 

Decided to have chicken yesterday, since they had no steaks on the brunch menu, I didn't realize this restaurant would only do the selective brunch menu on Sunday.  Oh well, it was good, and filling.  I did sneak a few sweet potato fries, but on the whole, it was a good day.  My Mom had an omelette and at the whole thing, something she seldom does when eating out.  She enjoyed the company, and her great-grandson took her by the hand on the way back to the car, leaving her walker standing, and she walked with him like a trooper.  I had to take a picture and share here, it's just too sweet.  He melts our heart.   :-*

I'm baby sitting tonight at his house, parents going out to dinner and I told them to take their sweet time.  We will spend time in the backyard, with the dogs and enjoy ourselves I'm sure.

I made a Lemon Coconut Cheesecake this morning, and Daughter made a Cinnamon Poundcake, both grain and sugar free - of course!  Mine is no bake, hers is a bit more involved, but so worth it.  A Maria Emmerich recipe, she has all her books, but this one is on her blog too, it's called Cinnabon Cake there, I think.

I have my ground beef ready for today, it's all I'm going to eat.  Really love it and hope I don't get tired of it for a long time.  I'm drinking lemon water for a little detox, or just health.  Still reading up on Iodine and pro and prebiotics, there is a lot to learn. 

My knees are practically pain free right now, I'm walking up and down the stairs without problem, and have grandson to thank for this.  He is a little tyrant in that respect, just takes you by the hand and off we go!  At first I tried to get him to ride the elevator with me, and he does that too, but most times he wants to walk, and likes to make sure you go with him, so he leads me.  Too funny!  It's made such a difference, along with the better way of eating, and more regular supplements, it all comes full circle.  ;D

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 02, 2015, 06:07:42 AM »
Finally some rain this morning, had a good one two nights ago too, but this looks like a soaker.  We need it!  Glad it was nice out yesterday, I spent some fun time playing with my sweet little guy, he has so much energy, it wear me out, but I don't mind.  I slept well, lol!

I think he's going through a growth spurt right now, as my daughter puts it - he's eating us out of house and home!  ….  :D   But really, he gets such a healthy variety of foods, it makes me proud.  And happy for him, to not be loaded with a bunch of sugar and grains, very interesting to see how different he is, from other children.  Of course it's hard to know how he would be on that toxic stuff, you just never know, I don't mean I think he would be better, just that you can't go back a rewind to see what it would be like …

The cake my daughter made for SIL birthday was phenomenal!!  I mean, truly if you need a coffee cake type thing, this recipe is amazing and better than any cake I've eaten, period!

I have some pictures I will add when I post the recipe, this one has to be tried, seriously.  I know I always say that, lol … but it's true.

I noticed that my knees are not hurting, although it's raining.  Before going very low carb, I could always tells, knees creaking and painful spots that notified me of impending rain.  Right now?  Nothing!

So today more hamburger from Costco, ORGANIC KING OF GROCERIES!!  haha, go COSTCO!!!!!

More organizing upstairs to day … I enjoy it so much.  Putting lots of things up for sale with daughter, she has a "store" on Facebook, something new I guess, or at least to me, I'm not much into Facebook, just love to read my diet related stuff.  But she is selling like a fiend, it's unbelievable, and might become more of a job than she bargained for.  She loves the extra income though, it is paying for their vacations right now, not bad!

8)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 03, 2015, 06:26:39 AM »
Had a lovely time with the girls from work last night, they threw me and another colleague a little belated retirement party, and I have to say, I completely enjoyed myself.  What is it they say …. absence makes the heart grow fonder?  Very true.  Loved catching up and hearing all about what's going on at work … nothing much new, but it definitely confirmed my resolve to get out of there when I did. 

I notice much less anxiety and sleeplessness now, of course that might have to do with the woe too.  I've been so good!  I didn't even have a glass of wine last night, had no desire, just my little steak, did eat perhaps 5 or 6 sweet potato fries, but all in all, no cravings or temptations.  I got several gifts with candy included, and had just a twinge of "perhaps just one" last night, but alas, it was easy to just put it out of mind, and I'm throwing it in the trash today.

One of my German coworkers last night shared that her son is in the military and stationed in Germany right now.  That was a surprise, she showed us pictures, he's 20 and a handsome guy, looks perfect weight etc.  She mentioned that he had just been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, and of course, my interest was peaked!  I asked her a few questions, and it turns out that he had gone through routine checkup and his A1c was 16!  They put him on insulin right away, and 3 months later it was down to a 6.  So now of course, I couldn't help myself, and told her I had some info on new research, if she was interested, and she was eager to hear all about it.  I texted her later about Dr. Bernstein and Dr. Davis, told her to read both books, and that at this age and early stage I thought it was very likely that he could get off insulin at some point, if he changed his diet to organic, low carb, grain free non GMO etc.
I can't help wonder if living in Germany for 3 months, he fell into eating bread and cake and all those "Mehlspeisen" they love to make, things made with wheat flour is very traditional in Germany.  Who knows, but if anyone has any other good links for a novice to all of this, I would truly appreciate.  I intend to put together an email and elaborate a bit more, telling her about my daughter's experience with hypoglycemia and the anxiety attacks, and how going ultra low carb saved her from continuing ER visits and more MRIs Scans, X-rays and medications, running from anti anxiety meds to who knows what!

So, my daughter invited me for lunch, she is meeting with her realtor friend, and former boss, she owns the firm now, a real go getter, and we are thinking of adding another rental for income, that's what my daughter does, she had a little money saved up from an inheritance, and is doing quite well with that.  And her consignment business, haha.  Easy to do as a stay at home Mom, I'm quite proud of her creativity and being so industrious, while being there for her son 100%.

Having my BP coffee in the mornings now, I set up my kitchen with all the things I need within reach, so I remember.  Got rid of all items that are superfluous, I will just not cater to anyone on carb diets any more, if they want wheat, let them get it themselves.  In my house, it does not exist!

Voila, on with the day, hope everyone is well, it sure is quiet around here, I guess I'm talking to myself here, but it does help me to do this morning diary of sorts, I like reading back to see what all went on since my retirement day, and it definitely keeps me on track.  I stepped on the scale after my shower, and am down another half lb, but I can tell the fat is loosening up, if that makes sense, things are shifting in my body.  The acid reflux is totally gone, but I have a suspicion that was caused by the wine, more than anything.  No pain at all this morning, except my arms hurt, but I think that is from moving things around upstairs mostly, putting the shelves together and carrying books and stuff around, I need to get more exercise, if only I could get myself to make that a habit,  I think it would be so beneficial at this point.  Walking the stairs and carrying the little guy around just isn't enough at some point, so that's my next task, to find something I will stick to, aside from the bouncing.  That has been an excellent start though.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 04, 2015, 08:10:23 AM »
Well, yesterday turned into an eventful day, without much warning.  The luncheon was fun, and it turns out the Realtor friend (who showed up late, because her son had an appointment and she had to take him since his car was in the shop)  is looking for a part time Admin, and offered the job to my daughter.  She said she would think about it, she still has her license, though inactive … and after we talked for a bit, I told her to grab it - it's part time, make your own hours, work from home mostly, new MacBook thrown in - what does she have to lose?  I will keep grandson more of course, and that's good for me, I need that push to stay active and healthy, I am prone to do things for others more than myself  I need to stay healthy for my daughter and grandson, and want to be around for a long time to support his start in life in the most positive way possible - great motivation!!

On top of that, her friend had her son along, 25 and he is looking for a rental on the side of town her rental is located in, since he just got a new job there and commute is long right now  … he would have to find a room mate to afford the rent, and is determined to do that.  Ironically, her older son had been renting said condo for the past 5 years, and just moved out to live with his girlfriend.  DD took that opportunity to clean, paint, renovate kitchen, and it looks stunning, she has a real knack for decorating - so now the other son of the Realtor might move in … life can be ironic, can't it?

Other than that, weather still dreary in this part of the country, and I'm ready for some sunshine.  I don't have any specific plans for today, but would love to finish organizing my upstairs room, need daughter's help to do that, since a lot of the things remaining are hers.  She moved them in when she came home from college, and it needs to be sorted through by her.  We might do this later on.

She is still selling like a fiend on this Facebook consignment shop thingy, I haven't checked it out yet, but will do that now.  It's truly amazing, the things people sell and buy.  I am getting a bunch of stuff together, too … it feels good to get rid of things I don't use, but don't want to just throw out or give away.

I have lost all hunger and cravings now, and have to remind myself to eat.  I do feel my stomach grumble when it's time to eat, but it doesn't really translate to "hunger" just a reminder that it's empty and something needs to go in there, which will be:  MEAT!

Going shopping for some nice steaks, I feel like a big juice T-Bone ….  8)

PS - I wrote the friend with newly diagnosed diabetic son long email with links and book recommendations.  It turns out she and her husband are already eating lowcarb and good fats since January - I had no idea!  It certainly is getting more and more popular, isn't it!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 04, 2015, 03:50:28 PM »
Newsy post :))) an exciting day. I'm just wondering what has happened to Redhead? Thought you might know. I haven't seen her post in awhile.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 04, 2015, 04:38:08 PM »
Me too!  Has anyone heard from Lila at all?

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #149 on: June 04, 2015, 04:38:08 PM »

Sponsored Links